Ares Games

Thread: 10 player Midway Scenario!

Post 10 player Midway Scenario!

Last night at our games club we played a historically based Midway game with 5 players on each side.
    We used War at Sea 1/1200 models on top of Topdown mini cards to allow the 3D models to be removed when overflown by Aircraft.
    The Jap forces consisted of all 4 carriers, 1 heavy cruiser & 4 destroyers supported by 4 Zero's, 2 Val's & 2 Kates.

US forces were the 3 carriers, 1 AA Cruiser & 2 destroyers with 4 Wildcats, 2 Dauntless & 2 Devastators.

All ships could fire 1 shot from 4 inch guns with a hit causing a D damage chit &/or AA MG fire which caused 2 A chits to be drawn.
    A dice roll was required to see it hits were achieved.
    If a Torpedo or Bomb achieved a hit the a D6 was rolled with a 1-2 causing minor damage, 3-4 moderate damage & 5-6 Ship sunk!
    Normal shooting between aircraft as per rules.
    We had slightly different rules for Jap Torpedoes & US ones plus the US AA was more accurate that Jap AA. (D6 for Japs to hit & D5 or 6 for US)

The ships were set up as per the disposition in the original battle.

Japanese Deployment:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Midway <acronym title=aar 002.JPG  Views: 96  Size: 82.6 KB  ID: 152787" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

US Deployment:

Name:	Midway <acronym title=aar 004.JPG  Views: 96  Size: 67.4 KB  ID: 152788" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Initial manoeuvres:

Name:	Midway <acronym title=aar 005.JPG  Views: 96  Size: 71.4 KB  ID: 152789" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Devastators close in on Hiryu:

Name:	Midway <acronym title=aar 007.JPG  Views: 97  Size: 82.4 KB  ID: 152790" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Attack successful!:

Name:	Midway <acronym title=aar 010.JPG  Views: 96  Size: 105.6 KB  ID: 152791" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Result--Scratch one Jap Flattop!

Name:	Midway <acronym title=aar 011.JPG  Views: 96  Size: 72.4 KB  ID: 152792" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The Dauntless close in on the Jap Carriers:
    Note the Vals being distracted by the US aircraft
    & loosing valuable flying time instead of attacking the US carriers

Name:	Midway <acronym title=aar 008.JPG  Views: 97  Size: 101.2 KB  ID: 152793" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Meanwhile the Wildcats score the first kill:

Name:	Midway <acronym title=aar 009.JPG  Views: 96  Size: 82.6 KB  ID: 152794" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

But the Kate's even the score!:
    Yorktown is Sunk!

Name:	Midway <acronym title=aar 013.JPG  Views: 97  Size: 87.6 KB  ID: 152796" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Name:	Midway <acronym title=aar 014.JPG  Views: 96  Size: 86.5 KB  ID: 152797" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The Devastator's manage to drop one bomb on Soryu's Flight deck
    but only light damage!

Name:	Midway <acronym title=aar 015.JPG  Views: 97  Size: 101.2 KB  ID: 152798" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The Wildcats now take vengeance on the Kate's for Yorktown's loss.

Name:	Midway <acronym title=aar 016.JPG  Views: 96  Size: 70.5 KB  ID: 152799" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Midway <acronym title=aar 017.JPG  Views: 96  Size: 90.6 KB  ID: 152800" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The remaining Zeros attack the returning Devastators:
    But one aircraft avoids the attack & returns safely to Enterprise.

Name:	Midway <acronym title=aar 018.JPG  Views: 96  Size: 81.4 KB  ID: 152801" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The Val's finally arrive to attack Enterprise & Hornet but a combination of AA fire
    & Wildcat attacks sees both Vals shot down & the Battle End.

Name:	Midway <acronym title=aar 019.JPG  Views: 96  Size: 77.1 KB  ID: 152802" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Midway <acronym title=aar 020.JPG  Views: 96  Size: 48.9 KB  ID: 152803" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The result was a Minor Victory for the US forces with 1 carrier each side lost, 1 Jap carrier damaged but all 4 Japanese attack aircraft (Vals & Kates) shot down plus 2 Zeros shot down for the loss of one Devastator, however 2 Wildcats only had 2 or 3 damage points remaining so they did take punishment!

Everyone who participated said they really enjoyed the game which we tried to keep fairly simple with so many participants.
    It is planned to do a Bismarck Sea scenario with similar numbers in about 3 months time.
    After Christmas its back to WW1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Midway aar 012.JPG  
    Last edited by gully_raker; 12-12-2014 at 20:09.

Cracking game.
    Where do you get your War at Sea models from?
    I have been trying to get more 1:1200 ships for a while without any luck.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Very nice narrative & photos of the game. Looks like War at Sea ships on top of Top Side ship cards. Great idea.

That, Baz, was the business my friend ! Like your torps too.

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    That, Baz, was the business my friend ! Like your torps too.
    Torps are Litco if I'm not mistaken.
    Rob.

Nice Scenario! Definitely not your average mission. I liked the ships, torpedos, Devastators and Kates especially. Well done!

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Cracking game.
    Where do you get your War at Sea models from?
    I have been trying to get more 1:1200 ships for a while without any luck.
    Rob.
    12-7 games Rob. He still has a good range & Topdown minis have both WW1 & WW2 ships.

Thumbs up

Torps are Litco if I'm not mistaken.
    Rob.
    Correct Rob!

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    12-7 games Rob. He still has a good range & Topdown minis have both WW1 & WW2 ships.
    Cheers Baz.
    Rob.

Thanks for the report, great scenario!

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Just had a look see Baz.
    Is it Task Force which are the 1: 1200 size as there seems to be a vast difference in the price between them and the Flank speed or surface action ones.
    Rob.

Just had a look see Baz.
    Is it Task Force which are the 1: 1200 size as there seems to be a vast difference in the price between them and the Flank speed or surface action ones.
    Rob.
    Try the infernal E bay Rob , there are quite a few private andshop sellers offering Allied and Axis warat sea models.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Looked to be a fantastic game Baz. Good idea using the Topside minis as fly over cards.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Try the infernal E bay Rob , there are quite a few private andshop sellers offering Allied and Axis warat sea models.
    Thanks Paul, but I still don't know how to discover what scale they are.
    Rob.

Exclamation

Just had a look see Baz.
    Rob.
    Rob as far as I am aware all War at Sea models are 1/1200.
    Just look under single models as they list these by nationality & you can see pics of the models with prices. This is where I got mine from. Carriers are around $30 + or - depending. Cruisers about half that & Destroyers really cheap.

Cheers Baz.
    I will dip my toe in the water then.
    Rob.

Excellent game and AAR, Barry!
    I can't give you REP in Facebook, but here I can.

Great report Barry! Where did you get the torpedoes?

Thomas

Hello Rob,
    I have checked and have found reference to the ships being scale 1:1800.
    Compare the aircraft in the pictures with your models and I think you will see the difference.
    Size matters.
    Kevin

Thanks Kevin I will need to look further afield then.
    Rob.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    Great report Barry! Where did you get the torpedoes?

Thomas
    Litko Tom!

Exclamation

Thanks Kevin I will need to look further afield then.
    Rob.
    Rob, I have been using War at Sea models with WW2 Wings since way back. Bismarck Sea, Island Raids, Midway & other scenarios & I find they are perfect scale to fit in for the games especially as now Topdown minis have cards in the same scale to place under them.
    Do check out Topdown as they may list the scale on their website but anyway irrespective of scale I think they both do the job. For me anyway.

Exclamation

Rob I checked with TOPDOWN MINIS. (NOTE correct name---how the old mind makes mistakes!)
    Their scale is 1/1850 so I guess the War at Sea ones must ne about the same. Please check out the Topdown mini cards as I think you will be impressed.
    Cheers Baz.

Users Country Flag

Name
    John
    Sorties Flown

Where can I find these TOPDOWN minis? Google just returns convertibles and mini blinds.

Quote Originally Posted by RiotInferno View Post
    Where can I find these TOPDOWN minis? Google just returns convertibles and mini blinds.
    Try here John.

http://topsideminis.com/online-store-2/

Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    John
    Sorties Flown

Thanks!

usp40sw

Great game. Looks like a lot of fun. Did the ships move at all or just the Aircraft?

Sneaking around in the WW II AAR section I found this Pacific gem.

(...only 2 month later )

A great setting and AAR, Barry.

That's a "convention worth" scenario!

Just a question: How long lasted this game?
    Voilą le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Similar Missions

1. 10 player WW2 Midway game at our club last night!
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-12-2014, 19:10
  2. Midway Scenario's
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Midway Rising
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-06-2013, 03:56
  3. AAR Midway Rising: Scenario 4:
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Midway Rising
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-29-2013, 01:24
  4. Scenario 4: Midway Rising