Ares Games

Thread: Building a FE. 2B

Default Building a FE. 2B

Here are the details of how I assembled my Skytrex FE. 2B.

1. Cut out parts from sprue and fettle.
    2. Drill holes for struts in undercart and prop shaft.
    3. (Check alignment in top and bottom wing holes as all are not marked accurately.)
    4. Glue front center struts to bottom wing and check for vertical. (Use top wing to act as template.) Then do same for rear struts.
    5. Glue rest of struts to bottom wing in pairs. Wait for glue to set before next pair is attempted.(Check each pair with top wing as template as before.)
    6. Position top wing and airframe to lower wing. Do NOT glue air frame at this point, but glue in struts to top wing. This allows the adjustment of the airframe later.
    7.Position tail plane, true up airframe, and glue to upper and lower wings.
    8. Position and glue tail in place.
    9.Position and glue tail skid.
    10. Add undercart and wheels, and glue.
    11. Position gunner and prop but do not glue. (easier to paint seperate.)
    12.Undercoat aircraft. (I used matte white spray.)
    13.Paint all parts.
    !4. Glue gunner and prop in place.
    !5. Add descals. (Dom's are a better size match than the wing ones supplied.)
    16. Varnish to taste. ( I used A satin spray)
    Rob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0036.jpg   DSCF0038.jpg   DSCF0042.jpg   DSCF0045.jpg   DSCF0050.jpg  

BE 2c 001.jpg   BE 2c 002.jpg  
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 09-13-2010 at 05:38.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Very nice. Looks reasonably sturdy too, might pick up a couple of those and a couple of DH2s after all.

Noticed on another thread that you were after a card for this beastie. There's one here: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1445

Don't really agree with his firing arcs (not for WoW purposes at any rate). I'd just consider going for standard front and back two-seater arcs, but only allow the rear gun to fire at targets above the plane (the propeller and wings tend to get in the way ). Might be an idea to let it target planes with more climb counters than it at the same height band at full range to give it a chance.

(I know I already wrote a similar post when you were looking into getting one, this'll just save you doing a search)
    Last edited by IRM; 09-13-2010 at 12:35.

Yes, very nice indeed, Rob. I've just about got my two done and have to admit that they look quite good kits, given my previous aversion to metal models.

Can't see if you did the same, but I added a couple of radiators and an underwing tank. The second of my FEs is a 'Zeppelin-killer' armed with 2 forward firing Lewis guns with the front cockpit faired over.

And yes Iain, they are fairly strong once they are assembled. And thanks for turning up the FE2 card - saved me looking for one.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by IRM View Post
    Noticed on another thread that you were after a card for this beastie. There's one here: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1445

Don't really agree with his firing arcs (not for WoW purposes at any rate). I'd just consider going for standard front and back two-seater arcs, but only allow the rear gun to fire at targets above the plane (the propeller and wings tend to get in the way ). Might be an idea to let it target planes with more climb counters than it at the same height band at full range to give it a chance.

(I know I already wrote a similar post when you were looking into getting one, this'll just save you doing a search)
    Thanks for that Iain. I knew there was one floating about somewhere, and your remarks are spot on re firing arcs. I tried with the guns before I glued them and rearward is really restricted to a plane above the wing. An upward angle of about 60 degrees.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Yes, very nice indeed, Rob. I've just about got my two done and have to admit that they look quite good kits, given my previous aversion to metal models.

Can't see if you did the same, but I added a couple of radiators and an underwing tank. The second of my FEs is a 'Zeppelin-killer' armed with 2 forward firing Lewis guns with the front cockpit faired over.

And yes Iain, they are fairly strong once they are assembled. And thanks for turning up the FE2 card - saved me looking for one.
    All I added were two extra wheel struts as seen on the variant I was modeling mine on, and the backward pointing Lewis which was not in the kit.
    Rob.

Nice work Rob! Thanks for the pictures as well. Skytrex kit?

Thanks Greg.
    Yes It is a Skytrex kit. I have used Reviresco previously but took the plunge when I ordered a Drachen from them. I am quite satisfied with the standard, although there were some issues with the wing strut marked positions. I will now use whichever of the firms produce the model I want, although there is some overlap of models which will cause some further decisions to be made.
    Rob.

Rob, have you ever had any probs with Reviresco's castings? I bought a bunch a couple of years back and several had lumps missing from the fuselage or wings. Put me off making them up to be honest.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Default Good looking plane

Good looking plane. Glad to see others like the early birds.

Very nice job. About how long did it take you, start to finish?

Quote Originally Posted by bsmith13 View Post
    Very nice job. About how long did it take you, start to finish?
    Thinking time about three days. Assembly time about five hours. Painting two hours. Adding decals. about ***** 40 minutes.
    Rob.

Rob, have you ever had any probs with Reviresco's castings? I bought a bunch a couple of years back and several had lumps missing from the fuselage or wings. Put me off making them up to be honest.
    Non to speak of so far, but Ive only done two planes of theirs so far.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Thanks Greg.
    Yes It is a Skytrex kit. I have used Reviresco previously but took the plunge when I ordered a Drachen from them. I am quite satisfied with the standard, although there were some issues with the wing strut marked positions. I will now use whichever of the firms produce the model I want, although there is some overlap of models which will cause some further decisions to be made.
    Rob.
    Question, how did you paint the engine after you glued the wings and tail assembly. As for Skytrex or Revirsco, to me it just depends on the kit. Both make some nice kits, and both make some turkeys( not so nice kits). Now I'm going to have to order a couple of Fee's for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by gregbond77 View Post
    Question, how did you paint the engine after you glued the wings and tail assembly. As for Skytrex or Revirsco, to me it just depends on the kit. Both make some nice kits, and both make some turkeys( not so nice kits). Now I'm going to have to order a couple of Fee's for myself.
    Hi Greg,
    After 15 mm soldiers, it was a snip. The moustache on the pilot was a bit more of a challenge though.
    Rob.

Smile

"Mustache on the pilot" ....... very cute, Wing Co., cute.

Excellent building job; good metal model too.

The FE 2b is now on my lengthly list of aircraft to be scratch-built.

I've already made four BE 2c aircraft; these 2-seater "death traps" will have to suffice as my British early-war 2-seaters for a little while ........ except you Brits used them well into 1917!!! AND, you built over 3,000 of them. "Sacrifice" must be a British virtue.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    "Mustache on the pilot" ....... very cute, Wing Co., cute.

Excellent building job; good metal model too.

The FE 2b is now on my lengthly list of aircraft to be scratch-built.

I've already made four BE 2c aircraft; these 2-seater "death traps" will have to suffice as my British early-war 2-seaters for a little while ........ except you Brits used them well into 1917!!! AND, you built over 3,000 of them. "Sacrifice" must be a British virtue.
    I was toying with doing the BE 2c. after watching "Wings". What is it like to build, Bruce?
    Rob.

Hi Greg,
    After 15 mm soldiers, it was a snip. The moustache on the pilot was a bit more of a challenge though.
    Rob.
    What color did you paint the eyes? I takes me weeks to build just one plane, if I work on it every day. Mabey I should try your method.

What color did you paint the eyes? I takes me weeks to build just one plane, if I work on it every day. Mabey I should try your method.
    Morning Greg.
    My wife has told me to stop being so fascious (whatever that means) and give you a straight answer. So here goes.
    I only do the eyes if the goggles are up, otherwise Ijust paint a darker reflection on the shading of the glass, allowing for the refraction index, to give that slightly distorted look to the reflection.
    Seriously though, I paint the engine before the surrounding struts, etc. That way you can concentrate on the detail without worrying about where the rest of the brush is going. I did the engine with gunmetal for the steel parts, bronze for the rusted pipes and then a wash all over with brown ink to bring out the rusty look on the pipes, and to dull off the gunmetal. Finally a watered down black wash to add depth to the detail. Then you can touch up any smudges on the white undercoat before painting the wings and struts. Any overlap of paint here is unavoidable, but leave it until you have covered the whole aircraft and then go round and touch up with an 000 brush at the end.
    Rob.

Smile

Very good painting tutorial Wing Co.
    I have never tried the watered-down black wash after the brown ink wash, but will give it a try next time.
    Fascious, facetious, fashetious, facia, farsicus who cares ... it's all about being an engaging, knowledgible, eloquent, reliable, down-deep-sensitive smart-ass ..... you and Guntruck can fight it out for first prize. I'll gladly be ring-side for the show.

P.S I scratch-built my Be 2c (X 4) almost entirely in basswood - it carves very well and is readily available in many dimensions at craft shops. It also strips well for the fine wing and landing gear struts. I have preferred wood since my control-line flying days as a teenager; it is very forgiving/reparable. The exceptions were cardboard for the prop, tail surfaces and wheels, and paper-clip wire for the machine guns.

I'll make another attempt to figure-out how to transmit and post photos on the site but it may be outside my technological limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Very good painting tutorial Wing Co.
    it's all about being an engaging, knowledgible, eloquent, reliable, down-deep-sensitive smart-ass ..... you and Guntruck can fight it out for first prize. I'll gladly be ring-side for the show.
    I object to the bit between and including 'engaging' and 'down-deep-sensitive'

I object to the bit between and including 'engaging' and 'down-deep-sensitive'
    That's funny, and I deeply resemble that remark Guntruck old pal.However I do take issue with the use of the word eloquent, I would say sesquepatalean fits the bill better.
    Rob.

I was objecting to it as it referred to me, matey. I am sure all of those superlatives adequately describe your good self

I was objecting to it as it referred to me, matey. I am sure all of those superlatives adequately describe your good self
    I can't say as they do, he didn't mention drunken old fart anywere, so it can't be me. Must be referring to your goodself old bean.
    Rob.

Morning Greg.
    My wife has told me to stop being so fascious (whatever that means) and give you a straight answer. So here goes.
    I only do the eyes if the goggles are up, otherwise Ijust paint a darker reflection on the shading of the glass, allowing for the refraction index, to give that slightly distorted look to the reflection.
    Seriously though, I paint the engine before the surrounding struts, etc. That way you can concentrate on the detail without worrying about where the rest of the brush is going. I did the engine with gunmetal for the steel parts, bronze for the rusted pipes and then a wash all over with brown ink to bring out the rusty look on the pipes, and to dull off the gunmetal. Finally a watered down black wash to add depth to the detail. Then you can touch up any smudges on the white undercoat before painting the wings and struts. Any overlap of paint here is unavoidable, but leave it until you have covered the whole aircraft and then go round and touch up with an 000 brush at the end.
    Rob.
    Thanks for the painting tips Rob.

Thanks for the painting tips Rob.
    You are more than welcome Greg. I have learnt a lot from O.P.s tips over the years, and some good ones on here. It is a pleasure to be able to return the favour.
    Rob.

Well, now I have a photo album, I created it by following the instructions in the How-to video. But when I tried to upload them I discovered that they are too large for our 2 Meg limit on this site.
    So, now I have to figure-out how to reduce the size of my photos in my own computer before I up-load them to the album. I am indeed learning as I go, and some might say this is the best way to learn.
    Photos of my BE 2c flight in due course.

Have you got Photoshop Bruce? You can resize pics and 'save for web', which reduces the size of the file.

If you haven't, PM me if you want me to give it a go for you.

Angry aaaarrrrrgh!!!!!

After a week of work I finished the painting and gloss varnishing of one my FE2's, reached up to get my box of decals from the shelf above my workbench, clipped a large bottle of Kleer floor cleaner (that I use with black paint to blackwash my models) with side of hand.

Bottle of Kleer + Gravity = severely deconstructed and badly bent model of an FE2b.

Now suffering severe sense of humour failure - off to get stuck into the banana beer. Over and out.

After a week of work I finished the painting and gloss varnishing of one my FE2's, reached up to get my box of decals from the shelf above my workbench, clipped a large bottle of Kleer floor cleaner (that I use with black paint to blackwash my models) with side of hand.
    I'm really sorry to hear this piece of news Guntruck. It is gutting to have this sort of thing happen at the end of a project.
    The only time that I have had a real disaster was this year. I was painting a regiment of Milaneese crossbowmen. After baseing , I went to spray
    them with clear varnish, only to watch in horror as they whent matte white. I had picked up the undercoat by mistake. It was some time before I had the heart to de base and repaint.
    Just think yourself lucky that the Huns don't know about giant bottles of Kleer floor cleaner,otherwise it would be all over for us.
    Rob.

I correctly guessed that beer would numb the pain, and don't feel so bad this morning, as I still have one FE to finish, and my 0/400 arrived.

The deconstructed FE is beyond repair, and it will be quicker and easier to buy another one and start again, just as soon as I've finished the 0/400, SSW R.1, Eindekker, Pup, Triplane, Nieuport 11, SSW D.III and 5 Portuguese Texans (don't ask!).

I correctly guessed that beer would numb the pain, and don't feel so bad this morning, as I still have one FE to finish, and my 0/400 arrived.

The deconstructed FE is beyond repair, and it will be quicker and easier to buy another one and start again, just as soon as I've finished the 0/400, SSW R.1, Eindekker, Pup, Triplane, Nieuport 11, SSW D.III and 5 Portuguese Texans (don't ask!).
    Steve.
    Keep the wreck for a downed aircraft. My 400 arrived today as well . I've got to control the urge to start it right away until I complete my Drachen.
    Rob.

Steve.
    Keep the wreck for a downed aircraft. Rob.
    To knackered for that, but at least it provided a few spare parts.

Bottle of Kleer + Gravity = severely deconstructed and badly bent model of an FE2b.

Now suffering severe sense of humour failure - off to get stuck into the banana beer. Over and out.
    I know the feeling. I spent weeks on a 1/72 Nieuport 16 with Skies(Russian). Then dropped a box on it. As a kid I spent months on a 1/96 scale model of the USS Constitution. The day after I finished it my cat totally destroyed it, it ended up in more parts than when I started it.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

it ended up in more parts than when I started it.
    The Constitution, or the cat...?

As I've been asked about the colour scheme, here are the colours that I used.
    The upper side and body are Games Workshop Catachan Green with addedGraveyard Earth to taste.
    Underside is Bleached Bone. For the engine I used Foundry Gunmetal, all three shades. I think one would have done because after giving it a brown ink wash followed by a watered down black wash, you couldn't tell the difference. The rusty pipework was Workshop bronze with a brown wash. Hope this helps.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    The Constitution, or the cat...?
    BOTH!!

Default LOL

Here are the details of how I assembled my Skytrex FE. 2B.

1. Cut out parts from sprue and fettle.
    2. Drill holes for struts in undercart and prop shaft.
    3. (Check alignment in top and bottom wing holes as all are not marked accurately.)
    4. Glue front center struts to bottom wing and check for vertical. (Use top wing to act as template.) Then do same for rear struts.
    5. Glue rest of struts to bottom wing in pairs. Wait for glue to set before next pair is attempted.(Check each pair with top wing as template as before.)
    6. Position top wing and airframe to lower wing. Do NOT glue air frame at this point, but glue in struts to top wing. This allows the adjustment of the airframe later.
    7.Position tail plane, true up airframe, and glue to upper and lower wings.
    8. Position and glue tail in place.
    9.Position and glue tail skid.
    10. Add undercart and wheels, and glue.
    11. Position gunner and prop but do not glue. (easier to paint seperate.)
    12.Undercoat aircraft. (I used matte white spray.)
    13.Paint all parts.
    !4. Glue gunner and prop in place.
    !5. Add descals. (Dom's are a better size match than the wing ones supplied.)
    16. Varnish to taste. ( I used A satin spray)
    Rob.
    All very good, especially as you glued it together while I was asllep in the backroom lol......

Users Country Flag

Name
    Alex
    Sorties Flown

Excellent stuff!

Nice work Rob - as I am just starting to build some early war kites this will be invaluable. I have 3 x FE 2B's, 2 x DH2's & 3 x Fokker E III's on my table right now. As I haven't made any Skytrex kits before I am not sure how they will turn out but I am going to give it a go as there is a whole pile of lead waiting in the queue to be built.

Adie
    I have just finished 2 Skytrex Fokker E111's, I found them very easy to construct.
    Just about to start on a couple of DH2's they don't look too difficult to build.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz68 View Post
    Nice work Rob - as I am just starting to build some early war kites this will be invaluable. I have 3 x FE 2B's, 2 x DH2's & 3 x Fokker E III's on my table right now. As I haven't made any Skytrex kits before I am not sure how they will turn out but I am going to give it a go as there is a whole pile of lead waiting in the queue to be built.

Don
    The Fokker E III's are built now. Not overly difficult, but the undercarriage was a bit fiddly.

I am now sat here putting the first of the DH2's together as a trial run. Once I am happy then I will get the glue out and begin the actual build. My problem at the moment is confidence as, until tonight, I had never made any of the Skytrex kits. Once I have put a few together I am sure the whole process will get much easier.

Similar Missions

1. Building a Flat Top
    By afilter in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-04-2010, 16:26