Ares Games

Thread: Skype Game Invitation - BoB Scenario

Default Skype Game Invitation - BoB Scenario

All,
    Paul and I are planning a Skype scenario with Hurricanes and Bf-109s. I now have 4 Hurricanes, 3 Spitfires and 6 Bf-109s.

We are tentatively planning for a game between 27 Dec and 1 Jan. Anyone want to join in? Suggest a time, and we will see who turns up.

Check out the last foray between Paul [tikkifriend], Jan [Lino22], and I: Hangout vs Skype - WGS Battle of Britain Tutorial - The Germans Are Taught a Lesson

Lots of people out there say they want in on this, hope they sign up!
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

In the event we want to playtest the HMS Glorious (May-June, 1940) option, rather than BoB, I did the size check on the HMS Glorious here: HMS Glorious in 1/200 scale

It is HUGE! I need more ceiling height in the garage for the web cam, if we are going to play a scenario with this thing! And a bigger table.

But I can get some practice in with the monster, even if it "flat".
    Mike

Anyone for the 30th?

Any other suggested dates?
    Mike

Just give me the heads up if anyone has a preference otherwise 30th good for me

Do I get from this you have an HMS Glorious

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

For the 30th, I have a local game between 10 and 12, and an appointment in the afternoon.

Suggestions for times? Evening is open, or even early morning.

And no, the Glorious is still under construction in Arizona. I do have the paper template. I need some AA firing arcs.

If we want to use the Glorious (and the planes I have), I would suggest:
    1. A Hurry on CAP (must land within 10 maneuvers) with two on deck, and
    2.Two (or more) Bf-109s, with bombs, attacking. The Bf-109s could keep respawning, and Hurries would respawn on the carrier as long as the deck could launch planes.
    Mike

Mike did you get my PM re Lord_Ninja who was interested in a game?

22.00 on 30th is 07.00 the 31st for me which is fine since my 2 yr old grandson will be up by then , and so will I . That any good for you and Lord_Ninja ?

Paul,
    A little late for me, but doable. It will be even later for Lucas [Lord-Ninja], who hasn't answered my PM. And I can't find his listed Skype ID online.
    Mike

A rain check then as we have a Flying Scotsman who wants to join and I have been informed I am on Grand Dad duty that day

Any chance we could do it on the 30th? Same time?

Tonight, for me?
    Mike

So, the Skype game didn't happen, but Shane [Skyguy001] and I did a scenario with HMS Glorious being attacked by Bf-109s. Lots to learn about carrier ops, and even more about how to fly Hurricanes. AAR tomorrow.

Paul, next available date? Lucas [Lord_Ninja] wants in to spectate.
    Mike

Users Country Flag

Name
    Lucas
    Sorties Flown

Pew pew pew

What was left of the HMS Glorious with two Bf-109s bombing and straffing it to near death: HMS Glorious in 1/200 Scale - Practice AAR

I really have to learn how to fly WWII planes. These things cover a lot of territory in a few moves, and lining up planes for landings on a small deck is not easy.
    Mike

Looking forward to the AAR Mike. Week end 10th good for me. Sorry didnt get you mail re 30th until it as too late. Have a Happy New Year Mike.

Mike the 10th looks good for me too. Just need timings.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Suggested timing:
    Worldclock - 18:00 UTC, 10 January 2015

This should be a nice compromise for all participants. Let me know if this works for you all?
    Mike

1900 sounds good to me. WW2 BoB ? or more grief for Gloria

Fascinating conversation... I take it the 10th is still on? I'm more than a little curious to hear how this goes. I'm not certain of availability at present, but would love to watch a Skype game in progress at some point.

I'll keep an eye on this thread and, assuming everything works out, maybe I can voyeur a match.

Cheers!

You are more than welcome to join us or observe. As Mike oldguy59 is hosting he will need your skype address so you can be part of the group.

Would love a bash at Gloria.

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    You are more than welcome to join us or observe. As Mike oldguy59 is hosting he will need your skype address so you can be part of the group.
    Cool... now to figure out my Skype address...

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Would love a bash at Gloria.
    Neil,
    I was considering a "simple" fighter scenario, adding in planes as required for additional people. I have 4 Hurricanes, 4 Spits, and 6 Bf-109s. We could allow respawning depending on how long we want to play.

Running the Glorious was a bit daunting, even with just managing the one side. However, I would truly value your experience and advice on things naval. Also, the more I practice, the better the convention will be. I may need to do up some decoy Gladiators and an He-111.

So, if Paul and you want to tackle a scenario with the Glorious, I'll host it.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    Look at your profile in Skype.

I'm easy either way Mike.

I'll play whatever Mike. If you want help with the naval rules etc drop me a line and we can talk things through. It would also give somebody to bounce ideas off as I'm wanting to revamp them a trifle.

Neil

I'll play whatever Mike. If you want help with the naval rules etc drop me a line and we can talk things through. It would also give somebody to bounce ideas off as I'm wanting to revamp them a trifle.

Neil
    Neil,
    I think the only thing I need is to sort out bomb damage to a carrier. I have looked at your current rules and cards, but they don't exactly fit a carrier. I have looked at some damage assessments for bombing of carriers, and even reviewed the USS Forrestal footage (USS Forrestal: When It All Went Horribly Wrong ) for damage and catastrophes on a carrier.

Delayed-fused, armor-piercing bombs would be pretty messy in a hangar deck, and could put a carrier out of action with one strategic hit. I'd like to tailor your Ark Royal Damage card to reflect the more important parts of a carrier (eg: catapults, elevators, internally carried planes, aviation fuel fires, etc...), if you think they should be included. This may require a specific card deck to accompany the damage card.

Just putting ideas out there for thought.
    Mike

Whats the head count for tonights game ?

We are up and running. where is everyone else? please log on to Skype, so I can invite you.
    Mike

It's 2pm in the states, the wife wouldn't understand. She does want to play a board game later. Probably Dominion.

Fantastic game Mike, even with all the connection problems. Glad I stuck with it to the end. Now does anyone have an aircraft carrier in the North Sea area that I can land a few hurricanes on?

Seem to have lost mine!

Very important safety tip for CAP:

Don't shoot bomb-laden enemy aircraft down, while they are overflying your carrier.

AAR to Follow.
    Mike

Mike

Sorry about last night chaps . ***** internet box has only just come back on after playing Possum for 14hrs For the record the 109 took 13pts of AA fire and 1 pt from the Hurricane and I was really looking forward to getting your flat top Mike. Will be dealing out S*** to the boys at Free.fr tomorrow and getting a new box.
    Look forward to the AAr. Next date for a game?
    Paul

Sorry about last night chaps . ***** internet box has only just come back on after playing Possum for 14hrs For the record the 109 took 13pts of AA fire and 1 pt from the Hurricane and I was really looking forward to getting your flat top Mike. Will be dealing out S*** to the boys at Free.fr tomorrow and getting a new box.
    Look forward to the AAr. Next date for a game?
    Paul
    Paul,
    For the record, the Hurricane you hit took an engine hit, a rudder jam and a smoke, and nine damage. Three chits, three special damage. Messed him up good.

I am in college Monday mornings and Wednesdays. Other than that, periodic appointments only. Your turn to propose a time?

Or other potential players could propose a time? I can still host the game.

PS: Hmmm...
    ...the boys at Free.fr ...
    Things that are free usually aren't worth it.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 01-11-2015 at 08:17.
    Mike

Great job guys, loved reading the report. Love that you can do it via skype!!!! Technology is great. (unless it doesn't work, then it stinks because we know it CAN be great).

That much damage shows what a cannon can do at short range and a bit of luck with the chits. I think the AA would have got him next go though.

A card shorter and the side slamming 109 would have been shot to pieces.

That much damage shows what a cannon can do at short range and a bit of luck with the chits. I think the AA would have got him next go though.
    It did. He flew into all eight shells, and it only did 11 damage. However, you had taken 12-13 points already. An amazing collection of "0"s, and no special damage, at all.
    Mike

Ok Chaps Anyone up for a foray in the skies this month ( February) , If so drop a post on this line. WW1 or2 are up for grabs.

Date?(s)

Date?(s)
    Bit like a Martini advert. Anytime , any place , anywhere. I will PM Mike to see what time the Dungeon Master has available.Perhaps Chris (fast git) might join us

How do you do these? Does one person have the game set up giving all others a view of the planes positions?

Bit like a Martini advert. Anytime , any place , anywhere. I will PM Mike to see what time the Dungeon Master has available.Perhaps Chris (fast git) might join us
    Date?(s)
    Gentlemen,
    Reading Week at the college next week. Good time to practice a Schwarm raid on Britain? Or some WWI practice.

Is there a day that works better for you, or a time? I'll adapt as best I can.

Peter,
    Check out this thread: Skype Players Forum - WGS Version

PM me your Skype ID, and I'll send a contact invite. You have to be on my Contact List before I can add you to video calls. Then, when I host a game, I call you to add you to the video call.

Mike
    Mike

Next week good for me . I guess its going to be in the Pm for us in Europe but thats fine Neil got a time and date in mind ? Mary might be away to see our daughter et al so a bad boys night out could be in order.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 45
    Last Post: 06-10-2013, 10:13
  2. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-29-2013, 07:04
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-25-2013, 21:44
  4. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-22-2013, 08:39
  5. International Skype Game Invitation - 12-14 April