Ares Games

Thread: Wings of Glory vs. Wings of War - rules differences?

Default Wings of Glory vs. Wings of War - rules differences?

Has a thread ever been made where somebody detailed the rules changes between Wings of War WWII and Wings of Glory WWII?

I learned to play WWII combat using the original rules (Dawn of WWII / Fire from the Sky). Tonight I was looking over the rulebook that came with the Rules and Accessories Pack, and (except for the addition of rules for multi-engine aircraft and Schrange Musik weapons) it seemed identical to the original rules. I'm wondering, however, if there are some small differences here and there I didn't notice.

Thanks!

-- Eris

There is a difference in the way the manoeuvre cards are selected. In WGF three cards are selected at the start of each round. In WGS, at the start of each turn, the card to be played in the turn after the card about to be played is selected together with a speed token for low or high speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    In WGF three cards are selected at the start of each round. In WGS, at the start of each turn, the card to be played in the turn after the card about to be played is selected together with a speed token for low or high speed.
    Thanks for the response, but I believe you misunderstood my question. I'm wondering what differences there are between WoW WWII and WoG WWII (not the differences between WoG WWI and WoG WWII).

-- Eris

Something I ran across in the WWI rules, that may be in the WWII side. I can't check, as I don't own the Ares WWII RAP.

In WoW, pilot wounds are secret, and not revealed to your opponent. In WoG, pilot wounds ARE revealed to your opponent. Is there any change for this in WWII?
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Sorry, Eris, I did misread your question. There were two WoW WWII rulebooks. First there was 'Dawn of War' and then that was superceded by 'Fire from the Sky'. The one thing that I can think of, which may have been added in the WoG Rules and Accessories Pack (apart from what you mentioned) is the use of rockets but I have not been through the rulebooks with a fine toothcomb.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Something I ran across in the WWI rules, that may be in the WWII side. I can't check, as I don't own the Ares WWII RAP.

In WoW, pilot wounds are secret, and not revealed to your opponent. In WoG, pilot wounds ARE revealed to your opponent. Is there any change for this in WWII?
    [Edit: I found online copies of the Ares WWII Rules. Both WoW and WoG rules have Pilot Wounds revealed. The turn sequence changes with wounded pilots, and it is significant enough that everyone would realize that the pilot was wounded. So, this makes sense for the WWII version. It is easier to hide in the WWI version. I'm not sure why it changed for WoG, but perhaps it keeps players from "forgetting" changes in effects with maneuvers and jams.]
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Similar Missions

1. Wings of glory; Artillery spotting rules
    By FarEast in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-23-2014, 08:09
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-02-2013, 12:53
  3. Bail Out Rules for Wings of War/Glory World War II
    By RickMartin in forum WGS: House Rules
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-25-2012, 18:20
  4. Replies: 8