Ares Games

Thread: Do we have a date for next release?

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

Default Do we have a date for next release?

I assume Series 8 is next, do we have a more reliable date for it yet?

Barry

Front page says "January 2015?" for the date. I don't know when that was last updated. Releases are often a little late.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

Thank you. Here's hoping for a Christmas surprise!

Hmmmm would that be Christmas 2015?

Meanwhile I have been trying to amuse myself with Wings over Flanders Fields but it is hard to get my head into it and off of our beloved game.

The latest date is still "January" 2015.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    The latest date is still "January" 2015.
    I live in hope….!

Interesting....I see you are calling the next series #8. It seems there have been more than 8 though. Which ones are people not counting as a series, anything that has a reprinted models (two now I think)? While a few are exact reprints, or at least Ares rendition (colors are slightly different), there are a number of new pilots/paint schemes. How are people accounting for these if they are not a series?

I ask because each new set/series I get goes into foam trays and is numbered and my numbering is obviously off.

TIA,

Aaron

Aaron,

Ares pretty much determined that the reprints would not be assigned new Series numbers. When they re-released the Camel, SPAD XIII, D.Va, and Dr.I for the first time (since the initial printings were done under Nexus), they stuck to calling it Series 1 even though it had 8 new paint jobs in it.

If you study the product codes Ares uses (which started with the original WGF Special bomber packs, or Series 5 for normal plane packs), things become a little more interesting.

Despite some collectors grumbling that the reprints devalued their black market stock of Nexus planes I am glad Ares did the reprints as it is good for the game. I boght heavily into some WotC CMG games and while my collections may be worth a ton to some it does not help when there are no new players because they can no longer get the game at a reasonable price.

My personal preference for WoG would have been all new paint schemes for the reprints though and just keep the numbering system going instead of 1A and 2A and so on. As ingle deluxe set or two could have covered the really iconic planes.

If you study the product codes Ares uses (which started with the original WGF Special bomber packs, or Series 5 for normal plane packs), things become a little more interesting. The following is what I have figured out (or, at least, think I have figured out )

Their product codes are broken down as follows: 3 letter code for the game system/1 digit code for the size/2 digit code for the Sculpt/1 letter code for the Paint Scheme.

So for Goering’s Fokker D.VII, the product code is WGF115A. That means it is for the Wings of Glory First World War game line, it is a single seater (or small sculpt), is the 15th Sculpt in that line, and the first Paint Scheme of that sculpt.

Below is a list of the codes used so far:

Series 1 (101 – 104)
    WGF101A
    WGF101B
    WGF101C

Series 2 (115-116 and 203-204)
    WGF115A
    WGF115B
    WGF115C

Series 3
    No Ares codes yet because they have not reprinted them yet. I’m predicting 119-120 and 207-208.

Series 4
    No Ares codes yet because they have not reprinted them yet.

Series 5 (105-108)
    WGF105A
    WGF105B
    WGF105C

Series 6 (109-112)
    WGF109A
    WGF109B
    WGF109C

Series 7 (113-114 and 201-202)

Series 8 (117-118 and 205-206)
    These are just what I think they will be. It will be interesting to see if the Macchi M.5 will be coded as a single (WGF119) or a double (WGF206) or something entirely new to signify float planes (WGF401 perhaps?)

Bombers (301-302)

WGF301A
    WGF301B
    WGF301C
    WGF301D

WGF302A
    WGF302B

Giants
    Not sure if these are going to use the 300 range of get a new 400 or 500 range of numbers.

It appears that the Ares reprint of Series 1 was under way before Series 5, yet they were released about a year after Series 5. Next, when looking at the bombers, we can see how they are handling repaint codes. They are simply incrementing the letter by one. We have also seen this on the Sails of Glory game line. So, if they were to reprint Udet’s Fokker D.VII in the next reprint of that Series, it would most likely have the code WGF115D (the carryover pilot getting the first slot and the two new ones getting slots 2 and 3).

This code system gives them a range of about 99 different aircraft per size and 26 pilots per type... enough to last us a while

Very interesting. Assume a similar code applies to WWII although we have not seen reprints yet.

Yep, same code system using WGS.

Similar Missions

1. Campaign date
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-15-2013, 10:27
  2. Release date of each serie
    By Dan-Sam in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-30-2012, 13:46
  3. WGS: Wings of Glory WWII Starter Set - release date and price
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements