Ares Games

View Poll Results: Doncaster weekend,Open to the public?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • OPEN

10 83.33%
  • CLOSED

2 16.67%

Thread: Doncaster Public Entry?

Default Doncaster Public Entry?

Please vote here for your preferred weekend being open to the public or not.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Sorry, just to quantify, are we saying

Open to Public to join in and play, if we offer ? Or Open to Public to go around the museum?

My understanding from last year was the public were free to go around the museum, as they were paying, but we could exclusively use the two rooms we had rented.

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    Sorry, just to quantify, are we saying

Open to Public to join in and play, if we offer ? Or Open to Public to go around the museum?

My understanding from last year was the public were free to go around the museum, as they were paying, but we could exclusively use the two rooms we had rented.
    The vote is on that basis again Chris.
    Rob.

I concur with Chris - let the public wander the museum but we are off limits unless we decide to invite anyone in (as per last year - so if we want to close the doors and shut the rest of the world out we can)

Open means that the museum can advertise us as an event and increase their footfall over the weekend in question. This should mean a reduced (or even zero?) charge for us.

On the other hand we do many participation and have ago weekends and it would be excellent to be involved in a campaign type scenario with more complex rules and exotic aircraft over the whole weekend.

May be we need both. A Simple rule participation table and closed campaign table. Each of us can be then take a turn instructing for an hour or two before a posting back to the join an operational squadron. It would give visitors the opportunity see the full depth and breadth of Wings of Glory; join in the simple watch the complex.

Whatever is decided I will lend a hand, support where I can and go with the flow.

If we have another round of prize-giving organised for us lot like last year, it could be quite awkward to have to hand over a prize to a 5 year old member of the public because they had wiped the floor with the Aerodrome's finest. I'm happy for the public to wander around and look, but not play.

Can we have a third option - they can look but they cannot play?
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

In answer to Gunners' observation about prizes, no member of the public will accrue enough points in any single day's gaming to gain a prize unless their name happens to be Deadly M. who is now a member anyway.
    Rob.

As the single dissenting voice at the moment, I don't want to seem to be a kill joy , but.

There are enough gaming conventions we attend around the UK for Wargamers to see us.
    The whole point of this function was for aerodrome members to "get together"
    I understand that , although not many public were about, it may attract otherwise non wargames to us, but as said the idea was for us as a community to have a bash together. In Marion's case she was accompanying a member , really pleased she enjoyed the weekend to the extent she joined, but she was not there as a member of the public.

Anyway just my 2d, I will go along with what the majority want and give my best as I really enjoyed the whole weekend and looking forward to another if we can.

This won't affect me so I don't feel I should vote but I'd be with Chris on this one, one of the original tenets of this weekend was that it was a get together for forum members not a show for the general public as you chaps do plenty enough of that as it is; this is your day to relax with friends/family and enjoy the game.

"He is wise who watches"

I can understand Chris's point of view as at most shows he is spreading the word and probably doesn't get as much playing time as he would like.

I agree with the walking around bit and may have got wires crossed as there were public who wandered in and out of our rooms perhaps thinking they were open to the public. It's hard to close doors as we ourselves walk between rooms.

If we are paying a high(er) price and we have exclusive use then surely the public for that weekend should not have access to the building we have hired?

How many visitors do the museum get on average per weekend and how much does our payment compare to what they would take anyway?

I'll accept the majority vote on this.
    See you on the Dark Side......

The point you raise about price rises is valid Neil, and as this did not come to light until after the vote was started, would any members wish to close this vote and restart it as we know have this further information to hand?
    Rob.

Similar Missions

1. DONCASTER 2015
    By Hedeby in forum Doncaster 2015
    Replies: 336
    Last Post: 09-07-2015, 03:29
  2. Doncaster (Even more photographs)
    By Mrs Kyte in forum Doncaster 2014
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-07-2014, 15:05
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-19-2012, 13:03
  4. Battle of Britain Bunker - Open to public, September 7-9th