Ares Games

Thread: Any value in "Watch your Back" expansion

epiphanius

Default Any value in "Watch your Back" expansion

Hi:

I bought a Halberstadt, a Hanriot and and an Airco DH4, thinking that I would be able to use these with the old "Watch Your Back" expansion. It now seems that the main value of that pack was the various manoeuvre decks, which I got with the planes. It also seems like the dual pack I got comes with everything else the "Watch Your Back" pack did. Is there any point in trying to buy the "Watch your Back" expansion? Some scenarios, maybe? Or would those be available elsewhere.

Thanks,

David

Always worth it for the extra decks and chits.
    See you on the Dark Side......

It depends on whether you intend to expand your collection with non-Ares planes. If so, extra maneuver decks are always a must.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    It depends on whether you intend to expand your collection with non-Ares planes. If so, extra maneuver decks are always a must.
    Karl
    That's exactly why I got it along with some of the other expansion packs and booster packs.

epiphanius

Thanks for the replies, I see the benefits now.

The Watch Your Back! set is an "expansion" of the Famous Aces set so the main damage decks are in the latter. But you can find cool airplane cards. This is good if you are going to buy extra planes that arent Ares ones or Nexus ones. Extra chits and damage decks, maneuver decks, etc. Besides, it has a cool cover!
    Thanks

Nick

Nick, its actually a stand alone game that can be combined with the Famous Aces set and comes with the exact same rule book as Aces. It also comes with a B damage deck and 4 sets of maneuver decks with appropriate aircraft all the chits and plane consoles.

Quote Originally Posted by FarEast View Post
    Nick, its actually a stand alone game that can be combined with the Famous Aces set and comes with the exact same rule book as Aces. It also comes with a B damage deck and 4 sets of maneuver decks with appropriate aircraft all the chits and plane consoles.
    Yes, I know that. I said "expansion" because some WoG planes like the Dr.I, for an example, cant be played just with the Watch Your Back! expansion. For example: if he bought a Famous Aces copy he could buy minis like the Dr.I, Camel and other A damage planes. He cant do that with the WYB set. Just with WYB he can play with B damage deck planes.
    Its not very clear but I think its understandable (does that word even exist? )
    Thanks

Nick

David,
    Welcome to the Forum? I didn't see you check in on the Canadian Wing, but I'm old.

I have two copies of all the boxed Wings of War sets, mostly for the Damage Decks and Maneuver Decks. I was planning on building paper planes, to save money, but all I seem to do now is make custom cards for people's repaints and alternative source models. So, if you do get some Shapeways or AIM planes, the WYB set will provide the missing maneuver decks to fly them.

Are you planning on attending GottaCon in February? Shane [Skyguy001] and I are planning on running a few games at that convention, if you want to join in. No experience or planes necessary.

Hope to see you there!
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

epiphanius

Thanks for the reply, Mike. I have duly reported to the Canadian wing just now.

I'm interested in Gottacon - and even know one of the organizers, Jon. But I have to say that I find the price of a day's admission is intimidating. I'll keep an open mind re: next year. I realize no-one is getting rich off it, but it amounts to a couple of planes a day, if I recall correctly .

Cheers,

David
    Last edited by epiphanius; 11-05-2014 at 17:45. Reason: final period

Quote Originally Posted by epiphanius View Post
    Thanks for the reply, Mike. I have duly reported to the Canadian wing just now.

I'm interested in Gottacon - and even know one of the organizers, Jon. But I have to say that I find the price of a day's admission is intimidating. I'll keep an open mind re: next year. I realize no-one is getting rich off it, but it amounts to a couple of planes a day, if I recall correctly .

Cheers,

David
    David,
    How about you plan on attending a game, and I use you as part of my staff? That way, you assist in "Hosting" a game, and get a discount on your Entry Fee.

Deal?

Even better, if ARES supports this con, I will have minis to give away. Work a game, play a game, get a discount on your convention, maybe walk away with a mini to boot.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Similar Missions

1. "Easy Zeppelin 2D/3D" Test Mission. The Wives Strike Back.
    By Nightbomber in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 12-03-2014, 14:38
  2. BRF Battle of Britain Scenario 3: Operation Dynamo 2 "Lets strike back".
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Fire in the Skies
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-01-2014, 15:57
  3. Watch More 4 today 12.15 "Fighting the Red Baron"
    By tikkifriend in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-10-2012, 08:59
  4. Spitfires from the expansion pack "Legends" question.
    By Lord_Ninja in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-21-2012, 13:06
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-01-2012, 02:39