Ares Games

Thread: Early Doors Mission 7 July '16--"New Wings over the Trenches". gully_raker.

Post Early Doors Mission 7 July '16--"New Wings over the Trenches". gully_raker.

Background

It is now mid July 1916. During Oswald Bolcke's final days at the Western Front in June 1916 prior to his Tour of the Turkish Front he had long discussions with Feldflugchef Lieth-Thomsen & staff establishing basic principals of Scout flying & its future. They made preparations for the development & structure of the new fighter units which would become the Jagdstaffeln or Jastas from the official date of 10th August 1916.

In the meantime in July 1916 both the British & German air units would start to receive new aircraft to replace the obsolete & obsolescent planes they were currently flying.
    The British Squadrons would receive the French built Nieuport N17 whilst the Germans would receive the Halberstadt D.II & Fokker D.I & D.II.

The Scenario:

Your Squadron or Staffle has received its first N 17's or Halberstadt D.II's.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WW1  British Nieuport N17.JPG 
Views:	775 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	148538

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WW1 Halberstadt D.II 2.jpg 
Views:	775 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	148563

Your Unit Commander has ordered the best two available Pilots to take the new aircraft on a Scouting Patrol over the front lines to try out the new aircraft.

The Set Up

You will need 2 WoW or WoG Mats or a gaming surface approx 5ft X 3 ft.

Near to the centre of the area set up two lots of opposing trenches one ruler length apart. There should be two trench cards on each side (British & German) one & a half ruler lengths apart. These represent the front lines.

Your two lots of aircraft will start two & a half ruler lengths behind your own trench line coming from the short edge of the games surface.

The two groups decide to see how the capabilities of their new planes compare. In other words engage in a Dogfight.

However the Infantry on both sides do not recognise these new planes & anyway don't much like aircraft so if any aircraft approaches within one ruler length, friend or foe, they will fire on all aircraft until a Dogfight is joined.

Thereafter they will only fire at enemy aircraft which are further than one ruler length away from a friendly aircraft to avoid the chance of hitting their own planes.

Fire from the trenches will only be allowed at one ruler length range due to the altitude of the aircraft. I.E. all shooting from the ground is considered to be long range & as per the Rules only Special Damage applies not damage points from the A deck.

Victory is achieved if all enemy aircraft are destroyed or forced to return to their own aerodrome due to damage points or wounded pilot as per Over the Trenches Campaign rules.

The Halberstadt D.II uses all the stats for the Ares D.III except it only fires B damage as it has only one gun.
    The N.17 also is a one gun Lewis armed aircraft so will need to change drums after 3 rounds of shooting.
    Last edited by gully_raker; 10-27-2014 at 20:37.

A week before schedule but we'll take it !! Finally, a dogfight, as you haven't specified does it matter how many per side and if any other types involved Baz ? (Rolling up sleeves and reaching for boxes!)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    A week before schedule but we'll take it !! Finally, a dogfight, as you haven't specified does it matter how many per side and if any other types involved Baz ? (Rolling up sleeves and reaching for boxes!)
    Sorry mate if I did not make it clear but two aircraft per side. ( I did say "the two best pilots" )
    N 17 for the British & choice of Halberstadt D.II or Fokker D.II for the Hun.

Thought I would get it posted as I have lots happening in the next week. Games night Friday. Tractor Trek Sunday.
    Old Mogo Town display shed Tuesday etc, etc. Oh dont forget the housework. You know washing, ironing, dusting etc if you have no SWAMBO to do that stuff!
    Last edited by gully_raker; 10-22-2014 at 03:25.

Nice one Baz - I'll need to press a N16 in as a N17 as I only have one of each, but I do have a Fokker DII so this will be it's first outing

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    ..I did say "the two best pilots"..
    My mistake - I thought that meant one for each side ! I may still go bigger

I'll need to press a N16 in as a N17 as I only have one of each, but I do have a Fokker DII so this will be it's first outing
    Mix and match Brian - a new one with an old one, that's what I'm going to do so a N16 & N.17 v E.III & Halb D.II, or Fokker D.II in your case.
    Last edited by flash; 10-22-2014 at 07:12.

Thumbs up

My mistake - I thought that meant one for each side ! I may still go bigger

Flash me lad you can fly a whole Kette or Squadron if you wish. The bigger the better as they say.

A very nice looking scenario to finish off the year Baz.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Mix and match Brian - a new one with an old one, that's what I'm going to do so a N16 & N.17 v E.III & Halb D.II, or Fokker D.II in your case.
    Actually flew this today whilst I had the table up for Scenario 6. Used two N17s (one an N16 in disguise ) vs two Halbs as I had forgotten I had two (and the Fokker DII doesn't arrive at the front for a month yet)

What a meat-grinder! The ground fire was fiendish, particularly wounding pilots and jamming rudders; all four planes were on fire at some point; an N17 went down after a collision with a Halb, and a Halb burnt out of the sky Palmer's return to the front netted him a wound, a victory, and a burning N17 that only just survived

Write-ups in the next day or so

Sounds like quite a ding dong Brian - I'll have to wait until I finish my Ost Front game & clear off my table before I can get to my game. That should be finished this afternoon unless I can stop the final platoon of veteran Soviet troops and their attendant T.34s !

Frenetic action by the sound of it Brian.
    I am hoping to get it flown tomorrow morning. With Kyte out of action we will have to see how some of the younger sprogs fare.
    Rob.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Frenetic action by the sound of it Brian.
    I am hoping to get it flown tomorrow morning. With Kyte out of action we will have to see how some of the younger sprogs fare.
    Rob.
    No rush Rob! You have all of November to fly this one.
    It is the November mission after all!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Archidamus View Post
    Actually flew this today whilst I had the table up for Scenario 6. Used two N17s (one an N16 in disguise ) vs two Halbs as I had forgotten I had two (and the Fokker DII doesn't arrive at the front for a month yet)

What a meat-grinder! The ground fire was fiendish, particularly wounding pilots and jamming rudders; all four planes were on fire at some point; an N17 went down after a collision with a Halb, and a Halb burnt out of the sky Palmer's return to the front netted him a wound, a victory, and a burning N17 that only just survived

Write-ups in the next day or so
    Will look forward to reading this one Brian!

Now I'll be 3 missions behind. Once the kitchen is finally finished (ongoing dispute with builder now), I'll play catch up. Apologies in advance.

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    No rush Rob! You have all of November to fly this one.
    It is the November mission after all!
    Right Baz.
    I'll leave it a week or so.
    Rob.

Note that Baz has amended the set up slightly chaps - in regards the ground fire once the battle is joined

Note that Baz has amended the set up slightly chaps - in regards the ground fire once the battle is joined
    The pilots who flew in my mission wish that the ground troops had been that careful when firing at them

Noted Squadron Leader.
    Kyte.

Looking forward to this one Baz , Only got one of each planes so they will spawn as and when needed.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Date firmly fixed for this one, and the other two too. Monday 10th November (my first free day). Lots of possibilities plus limited ammo oh yes bring em on.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Date firmly fixed for this one, and the other two too. Monday 10th November (my first free day). Lots of possibilities plus limited ammo oh yes bring em on.
    Can we take it that means your "issues" with the builder are settled then Neil? 'Cos I wouldn't want you flying whilst still aggravated - you have enough success against the Bulldogs without adding in extra aggression

I think the word you're looking for is 'SACKED', Rob. Yes we parted the ways and I've had a decent plasterer in who has done a cracking job and the tiler is here on Tuesday. Then it's a slight wait until the extractor can be fitted.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Archidamus View Post
    Can we take it that means your "issues" with the builder are settled then Neil? 'Cos I wouldn't want you flying whilst still aggravated - you have enough success against the Bulldogs without adding in extra aggression

Giss a Job , I can do that

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Right! Heading to the work bench to get some more Nieuports 16's in the air and maybe a few Halb.

Ok, the Nieuports have arrived at the paint shop, so a weekend of painting, then on with the show

Similar Missions

1. BRF Early doors Mission 5 "The bigger they come.........." May 2nd/3rd 1916.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 02-13-2015, 16:31
  2. AAR Mission 6 Early Doors Campaign----Oh Canada--Mt Sorrel---gully_raker.
    By gully_raker in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-01-2015, 09:41
  3. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-01-2015, 09:29
  4. AAR Early Doors Mission 5---The Bigger they come---52 Sqd--gully_raker
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-14-2015, 16:36
  5. AAR Early Doors Mission 3----Pricking the Sausage---March '16---gully_raker.
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-05-2014, 17:44