Ares Games

Thread: Valom Kits - Request for recommendations for replacement of Struts

Default Valom Kits - Request for recommendations for replacement of Struts

Hello expert model makers

I'm a novice model maker and inspired by the amazing pictures on this great site (and because I'm on a very limited budget) I'm planning to attempt to build the following Valom planes (SE5a, Pup and Nieuport 17). They look great but the general consensus is the photo-etched parts are not suitable for a novice. Please can you post recommendations of what the struts should be replaced with? Please can you make the description precise as I'm not familiar with modelling.

Thanks in advance.

I use cut down paper clips Nicola.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Me too, on Reviresco kits, but I found the PE struts on the 4 Valom Fokker DVIIs I built to be ideal for the task.
    I haven't built any Entente Valoms yet, but soon will (once my "Fokker Frenzy" is over). I will post an update when I start them.

I've only made the D.VII and also found the supplied struts fine. If I was to use anything else I'd use 1mm brass rod and use a 2 pert resin glue.That would easily be strong enough.

Ian

I have built 4 x Sopwith Pups, 2 x Se5a 4 x Nieuports and used the original struts which are strong enough for the job.
    One bit of advice I would give is use a Pin Vice (small drill) to open up the indentations on the wings where the struts need to located, by doing this the Super Glue can pool inside the drilled out indentation, which allows you time to locate the strut and line it up before the glue sets.
    Hope this helps
    Neil

Now that I have finished my Pups, would anyone like me to write up a "How to" on the way I put mine together?
    Rob.

Yes, Kyte. I would appreciate a "How to" article on them.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Robin
    Sorties Flown

Hi Rob. Always good to see how the experts do things,if new boys like me pick up one trick or two it's worth while. Noticed you hae a large number of aerial victories displayed under your medals ! How are they earned & rewarded ? Thanks. Robin

Quote Originally Posted by robin43 View Post
    Hi Rob. Always good to see how the experts do things,if new boys like me pick up one trick or two it's worth while. Noticed you hae a large number of aerial victories displayed under your medals ! How are they earned & rewarded ? Thanks. Robin
    Hi Robin.
    The medals each bear a tariff which contributes to your victories. To see what brings you the medals just dwell over any of them with your cursor.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by phililphall View Post
    Yes, Kyte. I would appreciate a "How to" article on them.
    Phil.
    Did you see this yet?

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...588#post319588

Rob.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Robin
    Sorties Flown

+Thanks Rob,Just thought there maybe an online game that I had missed.Will have a look at all the medals.Regards.Robin

Nieuport 17 struts are also up to the task - just drill a 3mm hole all the way through the upper and lower wings where the struts are placed and also on the fuselage then bond with CA glue once it has cured (leave over night is my recommendation). You get a much better bond if you do this before paint.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Robin
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by FarEast View Post
    Nieuport 17 struts are also up to the task - just drill a 3mm hole all the way through the upper and lower wings where the struts are placed and also on the fuselage then bond with CA glue once it has cured (leave over night is my recommendation). You get a much better bond if you do this before paint.
    Thanks for your suggestion will try it on both the plastic & metal planes I have in my hanger.

Rob, thanks for the post on building them. I'm still a bit leery as my hands tend to shake and I never had much luck with individual struts and getting them properly lined up. I'm getting to old for building WWI a/c.

Also one other point I'd like to make..... its trick but really adds to the look of the planes and also the strength.

RIGGING!

I have started to rig all my Valom kits (I use the etched metal struts that they come with) and I find them to be solid little beasties after I have rigged them

Similar Missions

1. 1/144 Valom kits
    By Roger Wilco in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-22-2014, 15:23
  2. WSF bent struts
    By Flying Helmut in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-19-2014, 10:02
  3. Cheap Valom kits
    By Baron Rolf in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 16