Ares Games

Thread: Games Expo 2015 Birmingham 29 to 31 May

Default Games Expo 2015 Birmingham 29 to 31 May

At Derby this year we were approached by one of the above show organisers and asked if we could attend again in 2015.
    Myself and Strangely Brown attended the show in May and I must say how much I enjoyed the show.

Link is below

http://www.ukgamesexpo.co.uk

The show is a three day games extravaganser with all sorts of games being played.
    Set up if Friday afternoon and you can play games there almost non stop in the hotel all weekend.
    There is a games library you can take out a game and try it, or buy one from a host of games companies.
    There is food in the hotel and they allow external food to be delivered, of course a bar in the hotel and rooms.

So the question is any interest for the show in 2015, if we get in quick enough as a participation game we will get a hefty discount on rooms, I am told, but these do go pretty quickly so let me know if any one would attend to put on WoG

No thanks Chris
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

This one depends on the Re-enacting scedule for next year.
    could day trip if available

I'm interested in going to this one Chris, but it all depends on my re-enactment show season.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbiggles View Post
    I'm in the same boat. Well same regiment actually, we don't usually do naval reenactments.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbiggles View Post
    Ditto me.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Ditto me.
    Rob.
    and me

Rich

I have been cleared for this Op by C-in-C, who will tag along to assist as per. Same sketch as this year, unless we can secure a second front?

Any confirmation on this one? Will be 3-4 available for WGS...

Can't make this one Chris, too close to Origins. Apologies.
    See you on the Dark Side......

I am mailing them this week about tables/ accomodation.
    Will let you know asap

I will be going Chris.

Nige

Chris, is there any movement on this yet? Myself and The Red Dragon (plus ground crew) are up for providing WGS.

Still waiting feedback from the organisers,
    I'll mail them again today.
    Thanks for the WW2 offer Simon, your BoB raid would really look the part

Cant promise anything yet Chris, but now my other hobby dates for reenactment are starting to come in I should be able to say more next week.
    Rob.

Just had word back from the Expo organisers,

"Chris,

Pat and I are just going through the demo game part of the show and we would love to have you back. Wings of Glory/War is one of the best participation games I have played.

We can accommodate you in terms of table space and have noted your requirements for tables and a power supply. We need to site you in a location near to a power point - did you use power last year?

Rooms - we have a special rate for the Hilton, but you may be able to better that via someone like booking.com, but maybe the Hilton rooms will still be cheaper using our link from the UKgamesexpo website (link on the left of our front page).

This year the show is open to the public from 9am on Friday, with press coming in at noon and then the trade halls will be open from 2pm. Not sure when you are able to arrive, but set-up can be from 9am Friday onward."

I asked for power for Simon and his WW2 game. So this also looks a go. I shall look at the accomodation myself this evening but if you wish to book your own please do so.
    Just to confirm, this is NOT a wargames show it is a Games show will all kinds of board games, Xwing, Attack wing etc, so quite prestigious.
    I shall see about getting there myself Friday morning to have the full day.

So anymore for this full weekend of gaming, any day is ok if you don't want the weekend.

I have taken the Friday off work, so can do all three days hotels permitting.

I hope to be able to arrive for 9am Friday to set up.

Red Dragon, myself and our associated ground crews (that's 4 for WGS) are booked in, though we will not be at full strength until the Saturday...

My self and Bogue intend to be there for Friday doing WW1 for the whole weekend
    Anymore for any more and what days please, simon can you send me names for the list

Hi Chris

Has any one made any noise about participating at this event?

I would be interested for the weekend...

I could do Friday with enough notice to book a 'rest day'

regards

Simon

Hi Chris

if accepted I would be pleased to offer my very novice services for all three days

Regards

Simon

This one is getting closer so any more intending to turn up for the show?
    Please remember this is NOT a wargames show but a multigame extravaganza

We are booked in for Two Tables , WW1 & WW2
    Simon ( Strangely Brown ) will be putting on his WW2 game

Myself, Bogue and Flying Helmut will be doing the WW1 table
    Simon ( Maverick) send me your name so I can add you to the list

The WW1 table will follow our standard format of a dogfight to start, maybe a two seater /balloon mission followed by whatever takes our fancy.
    The whole idea is to get people who have possibly never seen the game to try it out, so I expect we will spend most of the time showing people how to play, as well as having a game ourselves.
    Any others are of course welcome but I cannot guarantee tickets Im afraid, so I have put down for people who have said they can definately do, but hope to see others there.

This one is getting closer so any more intending to turn up for the show?
    Please remember this is NOT a wargames show but a multigame extravaganza

We are booked in for Two Tables , WW1 & WW2
    Simon ( Strangely Brown ) will be putting on his WW2 game

Myself, Bogue and Flying Helmut will be doing the WW1 table
    Simon ( Maverick) send me your name so I can add you to the list

The WW1 table will follow our standard format of a dogfight to start, maybe a two seater /balloon mission followed by whatever takes our fancy.
    The whole idea is to get people who have possibly never seen the game to try it out, so I expect we will spend most of the time showing people how to play, as well as having a game ourselves.
    Any others are of course welcome but I cannot guarantee tickets Im afraid, so I have put down for people who have said they can definately do, but hope to see others there.

Chris

The Birmingham event is three days...
    are we attending all three days May29/30/31?

The Sunday clashes with Partizan Newark 31st May,
    which is back in the main halls after the
    disaster that was the double booking by
    the council and the subsequent tent's fiasco....

Is the Aerodrome supporting Both events on the Sunday?

Regards
    Simon (Maverick)

Hi Simon.
    We cannot do both shows justice, therefore, we will not be doing Partizan.
    Birmingham is much more prestigious.
    Rob.

Understood
    just looking for clarification
    Can we confirm ~ Are we doing all there days at Birmingham?
    I have it in my diary for all three days....
    Thanks
    Simon

What ho chaps! I'm going for all three days but as part of a group. I shall certainly drop in and chew the far, get set light to and crash between all the other things I've been dragged into - unruly lot the E flight fitters.

I'll swing by as I'm there for all three days, but signed up to other event/s at present.

Afraid we will be up to the neck getting ready for our US jaunt, so will have to give this a miss I'm afraid.
    Hopefully next year will be different.
    Rob.

This now all sorted, the ones down for show should be registered, when you arrive go to the main entrance to the show and get your entry ticket, your name will be on the list under Wings of Glory.
    See you there next weekend

Final preparations underway - looking forward to this!
    Thanks for organising, Chris!

Had an absolute blast (literally) on the Saturday. Got a break from working on my own stand to sit down and fly a Dr1. 2 movement cards in a camel took a 1 A Damage card shot at me which resulted in a Kaboom straight away! Shot down before even completing a full 3 card turn. Hillarious. Revenge was swift though as re spawning the Fokker I downed the beligerant camel. Kudos to Flying Helmut and Boney for a great afternoon of dogfighting.

Glad you enjoyed it Carl.
    I await the photos from the organizers with interest.
    Rob.

Just got back.

Cream crackered!

Will post details of the show when rested/sane again!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Just got back.

Cream crackered!

Will post details of the show when rested/sane again!
    Sane again would indicate that there was once a state of sanity Tim.

Magnificent effort chaps, I saw some incredible flying in the short time I spent with you (before having to go and forcibly remove 4415 Norton's wallet in order to save his marriage).

I was especially impressed with the little lass who could fling a DVII round in its own length using but a single card, and the way Helmut didn't even blink. Kudos for forbearance.

If only there had been more stuff out on sale I suspect it would have done well, Alas! I saw but one stand with a few WWI aircraft and a RAP; and there were a FA and a DOW in the bring and buy for a combined sum equivalent to the U.S. National defence budget.

The result of my maiden Dr1 patrol.
    Attached Images   

Dear Frau Klunk,
    It is my sad duty to inform you....

Tough luck Carl.
    Things can only get better.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Klunk View Post
    The result of my maiden Dr1 patrol.
    AT least it didn't take too much time to write up the AAR...

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

In the fine tradition of the Twenty Minuters Carl - or is that the Zwanzig Minuteners in this case ! Most of us have been there at some time or other, the important question is did you die laughing ?!

I was suitably chuckling, it's the fasted iv ever been downed or finished in any game. 20 minuter more like less than 5!!!!. But revenge was swift as a quick re spawn saw me down the camel. Great fun

Still Carl, you lasted longer than the Zeppelin at Triples !!!!!

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Similar Missions

1. Looking for a game near Birmingham or Blackburn
    By Dave Knight in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-14-2014, 12:35
  2. Replies: 38
    Last Post: 07-28-2014, 11:00
  3. I'll be in Birmingham in May
    By Blackronin in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-21-2014, 15:40