Ares Games
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Series 7 preliminary lineup.

Ares seem to be caught by their own success. Do we produce 1 plane from each theatre, Pacific, Europe West, Europe East and a bonus 4th. Do we produce 2 v 2 from 1 theatre, do we produce early, mid or late wars, do we produce a 2 engine or special bomber production with all the inherent problems of which theatre of war and which era.

A run to finish the BoB would cap that off. JU88, Do17, and a Heinkel re-run.

Then switch to Pacific. 4 more fighters, 2 twin engined and a bomber special.

Then late war Europe.

and on, and on and on.
    See you on the Dark Side......

I agree. Their shotgun approach is frustrating. If they could concentrate each release on one theater it would in my opinion be much better.

Ares is caught on the horns of a dilemma. As a scan of this forum will attest many members whom I would generally classify as 'enthusiastic participants' in this game system post their preferences for one theatre or another, i.e. "Nice plane but I don't do Pacific" or "interesting, but I don't do Eastern Front." This is why Ares has previously been reticent about committing an entire series to one theatre - until Battle of Britain. This may be the game-changer if it is actually as successful for the business as anecdotal evidence suggests. If the much heralded Mdway set which is rumoured to be released next year is also a success you may see a change of direction, but it will depend on sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    If the much heralded Mdway set which is rumoured to be released next year is also a success you may see a change of direction, but it will depend on sales.
    If a Midway set is nothing but a re-print of Wildcats, Zeroes, Vals, and Dauntless I will be really disapointed. If, on the other hand, includes Kates and Avengers insted of the mentioned dive-bombers they will make my inner child really happy.

Ares has not released the Midway Dauntless so at minimum they would need to produce a new version with a different tail.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    Ares is caught on the horns of a dilemma. As a scan of this forum will attest many members whom I would generally classify as 'enthusiastic participants' in this game system post their preferences for one theatre or another, i.e. "Nice plane but I don't do Pacific" or "interesting, but I don't do Eastern Front." This is why Ares has previously been reticent about committing an entire series to one theatre - until Battle of Britain. This may be the game-changer if it is actually as successful for the business as anecdotal evidence suggests. If the much heralded Mdway set which is rumoured to be released next year is also a success you may see a change of direction, but it will depend on sales.
    As much as I love this game, I have financial and storage limitations. To manage all that, I attempt to limit the collection by theatre restrictions.

For WWI, it is the Western Front, because Canadians mostly flew there.

For WWII, it is the Battle of Britain. Considering the short duration of that conflict, and the released minis, I have a lot of them. I would have gotten entire squadrons of Spitfires, Hurricanes and Bf-109s, had Ares not dropped their quality level into the toilet (IMO). If the quality comes up in future releases, I will buy them.

However, any other theatres won't be part of my purchasing plan, unfortunately. But, looking at the posts on this forum, the Pacific Theatre will be very successful in the US, probably much better than the Battle of Britain has been.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Most gamers are in a similar position, or are either independently wealthy or in bankruptcy
    I think the theater themed release is an excellent marketing idea, and should be encouraged.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Gallo Rojo View Post
    If a Midway set is nothing but a re-print of Wildcats, Zeroes, Vals, and Dauntless I will be really disapointed. If, on the other hand, includes Kates and Avengers insted of the mentioned dive-bombers they will make my inner child really happy.
    The Avenger shouldn't really make it into a "Midway" set - only 6 saw action, and they flew from the Island, not the USS Hornet, to whose Air Group they had been assigned.

"Midway" requires Wildcat, Dauntless, Devastator vs Zeke, Val, Kate. Unless the set is 50% bigger than the 4-plane ones we're used to, one air arm loses out.
    If we HAVE to pick just 4, I'd choose Wildcat & Devastator vs Zeke and Kate, since the Val and Dauntless are already available (though, as pointed out above, in different schemes).
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    , Devastator vs Zeke, Val, Kate. Unless the set is 50% bigger than the 4-plane ones we're used to, one air arm loses out.
    If we HAVE to pick just 4, I'd choose Wildcat & Devastator vs Zeke and Kate, since the Val and Dauntless are already available (though, as pointed out above, in different schemes).
    Smart money will be on the Wildcat/Dauntless vs. Zero/Val combos.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I know Avengers werent the main torpedo bomber at Midway
    But I also know Spitfire wasnt the main fighter at Battle of Britain... but they and not the Hurricane are the main focus of the set

plus, c'mon! do you guys really want a Devastator when you could have an Avenger?

I feel sort of like the mirror image of Mike. My focus is on the War in the Pacific (in fact, I am putting together some USMC and JPN Bolt Action models at the moment) so I only bought the BoB starter and would like a Stuka, but am holding off on the purchase due to the quality difference and would be willing to pay a bit more to acquire an original version.

I think the two theaters require slightly different production strategies. It does make sense to flesh out BoB with some bombers (I would most likely only be interested in the Mosquitto but recognize the need to make some of the OoP models available again). However, in the Pacific, once the much needed reprints of Wildcats and Zero's are available Ares needs to move forward on the technology timeline with Corsairs and Lightnings more than producing bombers unless they decide on an Operation Vengeance themed box.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokhuah View Post
    I feel sort of like the mirror image of Mike. My focus is on the War in the Pacific (in fact, I am putting together some USMC and JPN Bolt Action models at the moment) so I only bought the BoB starter and would like a Stuka, but am holding off on the purchase due to the quality difference and would be willing to pay a bit more to acquire an original version.

I think the two theaters require slightly different production strategies. It does make sense to flesh out BoB with some bombers (I would most likely only be interested in the Mosquitto but recognize the need to make some of the OoP models available again). However, in the Pacific, once the much needed reprints of Wildcats and Zero's are available Ares needs to move forward on the technology timeline with Corsairs and Lightnings more than producing bombers unless they decide on an Operation Vengeance themed box.
    We know the P-38 and Corsair have been confirmed as two of the next cabs off the rank, even before any Midway Set.

Haven't been in this thread since June. Since then looked at all the great thoughts of what could be produced. I have to agree with Jager about the Midway set. Just repaints of planes that were already produced. It is good to draw new people to the game, like the BoB set, but maybe not much interest to the rest of us. I have 8 Vals and Zeros myself. I always mention this but I wish they would make BOOSTER packs like NEXUS did with the cards until they would produce the actual models. A Betty bomber would be nice, although I do have 2 AIM Betty's, and someone mentioned a PBY. P-38's could be used in Europe or the Pacific so that is great choice and of course we all want the Corsair. So for the other single engine planes the Kate and, I would have to say, Devastator for a Midway set since that was the main torpedo plane used then.

Did you see this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	23926457_1791468207539186_8301563857453450674_o.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	237079

It is on Ares FB Page.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    Did you see this?
    That's interesting... looks like a Do 217J Nachtjäger...?

Which would be a curious decision if I've identified the type correctly. I mean... sure, I love the idea of a Luftwaffe night-fighter, but why couldn't I have the much more popular (and more widely used) Ju 88?

Just saying...
    Last edited by fast.git; 11-29-2017 at 07:18.

They say it is Dornier Do.17 Z-10. But the nose and cannopy look different.

Name:	alanprice1-160319-56edc2711089c.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	237086

And...here is also something important:
    Ryan Scott:
    Hoping for more Pacific theater models, Zeros vs. Corsairs?
    Wings of Glory Miniature Game:
    At the moment we put a priority on 4 models which we think make the early war product range "complete" before moving forward.

And...here is the next one! Much easier to recognize

Name:	24254748_1797042190315121_6879528104035767907_o.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	237085

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    They say it is Dornier Do.17 Z-10. But the nose and cannopy look different.
    Agreed. I expected a Do.17, but the nose was wrong... so I looked elsewhere. I would still prefer the Ju 88.

Me too (OMG, did I really use these words?), but still a new German light/mid-bomber is a really good news! Much better than Savoia-Marchetti SM.79.

There were also B-17's, Catalinas, Brewster Buffaloes and probably some seaplane scouts involved in the Battle of Midway.

Ares,

Please no devastators, that aircraft was obsolete and basically abandoned early in the Pacific war...
    Please consider the Avenger; multi role multi crew, and was used from Midway through the end of the war.
    Also, I could not bear the weight of the avenger missing out on the next release only to wait another 2 to 3 years before it would be produced.

Maybe a special pack could be created (similar to the B-17 and Lancaster releases) Avenger and a Catalina would create some great recognizance and pilot rescue missions.

Thank you for what you have created to date...
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by THECCRICH View Post
    Ares,

Please no devastators, that aircraft was obsolete and basically abandoned early in the Pacific war...
    Please consider the Avenger; multi role multi crew, and was used from Midway through the end of the war.
    Also, I could not bear the weight of the avenger missing out on the next release only to wait another 2 to 3 years before it would be produced.

Maybe a special pack could be created (similar to the B-17 and Lancaster releases) Avenger and a Catalina would create some great recognizance and pilot rescue missions.

Thank you for what you have created to date...
    Chris
    Oh I definitely second this. Avengers over Devastators any day of the week.
    Last edited by Canestri10; 11-29-2017 at 17:49.

+Me on the Avenger.

Only 130 Devistator were made and the 41 at Midway did nothing other than the 6 that managed to not be shot down. Avengers numbered well over 9,000 and actually did something. I still wonder if Aries will get to the Pacific before Blood Red Skies.

The Devastators at Midway unintentionally did do something important. It is true that they failed to torpedo anything but they pulled all the defending fighters down to low level leaving the way open for the dive bombers to come in and sink three carriers.

Oh boy, what happend to...?

WGS Series 7
    F4U Corsair
    Lockheed P-38F/L Lightning
    Nakajima Ki.44-IIb e Ki.44-IIc
    Messerschmitt Me.410

After seeing this statement from Ares FB Page ...
    At the moment we put a priority on 4 models which we think make the early war product range "complete" before moving forward.
    I was very dissapointed, because I was realy looking forward to those annouced planes of WGS Series 7.
    If this should come true I guess that I will soon be out of the game and concentrate on my other gameboarding rather than saving my money for WoG
    and yet another series of boring planes that are useles for my favorite part of WoG "the dogfighting".

At the moment we put a priority on 4 models which we think make the early war in Europe product range "complete" before moving forward.
    I corrected the quote for accuracy (unless someone knows something I am missing).

Thinking about this I see two upshots:

- Many people on the Aerodrome will purchase these planes so it will be good for the site.
    - Within approximately 6-9 months after release all the non-German early war bombers will be on sale at deep discount on Miniature Market so those of us with more tepid interest will be able to pick up a few then.
    Last edited by Tokhuah; 11-30-2017 at 08:43. Reason: FUBAR

Users Country Flag

Name
    Lucas
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Sashdash View Post
    Oh boy, what happend to...?

WGS Series 7
    F4U Corsair
    Lockheed P-38F/L Lightning
    Nakajima Ki.44-IIb e Ki.44-IIc
    Messerschmitt Me.410

After seeing this statement from Ares FB Page ...

I was very dissapointed, because I was realy looking forward to those annouced planes of WGS Series 7.
    If this should come true I guess that I will soon be out of the game and concentrate on my other gameboarding rather than saving my money for WoG
    and yet another series of boring planes that are useles for my favorite part of WoG "the dogfighting".
    Which also still bugs me that they chose such an odd selection for Series 7. The F4U and P-38 both are excellent selections for a Pacific themed release. So why the Me-410? Does Ares really have to release twin engine aircraft as sets? If so, why not make it Japanese? The Kawasaki Ki-45 would be a good start. It's not the best twin-engine fighter of the Japanese but numerically it was the most important and served nearly the whole war. Some good runner ups that may not have serve as long but at least packed some firepower and engine performance to give them a fighting chance could be Kawasaki Ki-102 or the Mitsubishi Ki-46-III Kai. The single engine fighter chosen being the Ki-44 is also an odd choice. The Ki-44's top speed being 376mph being a sad sight for a country that has no answer for the P-51 and P-47 440+ MPH fighters. Nothing in the Japanese arsenal will ever reach those speeds but with America repeatedly getting their top-tier fighters, you'd think Japan could get at least the Ki-100 or the N1K, both of which Allied pilots gave respect to as some of the best Japanese fighters of the war. But hey, yeah, more medium bombers, that will really draw new players in....

I think this is where a robust point system is important. Sure you can run those Mustangs but that means your opponent gets # more Zeroes in a balanced match dogfight. More fleshed out Missions could also provide balanced play opportunities with imbalanced planes. I am reminded of the Sicily WWII boardgame. What you need to do to win if you are the Italians/Germans is to delay the inevitable by monkey-wrenching the map for the Allies.

I want a F4U Corsair and a P-38 and a "Tojo". Won't buy anything else.

These two-engine bombers/night-fighers/whatever blueprints I won't buy any of them.

I will buy a SM79 because it's a beautiful, highlight, beautiful plane and it's the iconic Italian WW2 plane

I really, really, highlight really want a Il.2 Stormovik and a La-7. Please stop macartism at Ares Games! Cold War is over. East Front deserves to be taken into account. It looks like WoG thinks the Soviet Union didn't have an Airforce.
    Some times I wonder: if this game were about tanks... we may have already have seen Tigers, Panthers, Churchills, Pz.VI, Hertzers, A4 Sherman 75mm/76mm and Easy Eight variants, Pershing, StuGs, an Italian and a Japanese tanks... and we would still be waiting for any version of the T-34
    It looks the only way we'll see a decent Soviet fighter if if the game ever moves to Korea... and even then my guess is we'll have only the MiG-15 as play as mobile target for Sabres

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Ninja View Post
    Which also still bugs me that they chose such an odd selection for Series 7. The F4U and P-38 both are excellent selections for a Pacific themed release. So why the Me-410?
    the policy seems to be releasing a German plane together with a Japanese (or Italian) one. I prefere a Ki.44-IIb over any two engine Japanse fighter... what I wonder is why releasing a Me-410 at all. I don't see the point why the releasing of a twing engine Allied fighter has to be matched up with a two engine Axis one.

Relesing a Devastators instead of Avenger would be like releasing the Hurricane prior to the Spitfire

Since all devastators did was get shot down and tarpit Zeros I would be fine with including them as a few wargame chits in the Avenger box. Like this:

Name:	Pacific_Planes.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	237104

Sans the Oscar of course because a real one of those would be nice.

Relesing a Devastators instead of Avenger would be like releasing the Hurricane prior to the Spitfire
    Hey Ezekiel. This is in no way an attempt to get into an argument... but I feel the need to defend the Hurricane's honor!

Please don't compare the "Hurri" to a "torpecker"! I think I get what you're saying... that the Spitfire was far more the iconic RAF fighter. Even, perhaps, that it was a better aircraft. And, I'll admit happily, those elliptical wings are as close to perfection as one is likely to get... but the Hurricane was far from useless! Not only was it responsible for more air-to-air victories during the Battle of Britain that its stablemate, it soldiered on into 1942, serving as a fighter-bomber over the deserts of North Africa. Additionally, it performed admirably in Russia. It was a rugged, stable gun platform.

It was not the disaster that was the Devastator.

So please... please... denigrate the "torpecker" to your heart's content... but please spare the Hurricane!

LOL!
    yeah, I agree with you Chris. Hurrican was a great plane.
    I was meaning that Spitfire is the most iconic British fighter, and the Avenger is the equivalent for US Torpedo Bomber.
    I could had said the following: releasing the Devastator before the Avenger is like have released the Kawasaki Ki-61 before the Zero.

I could had said the following: releasing the Devastator before the Avenger is like have released the Kawasaki Ki-61 before the Zero.
    Perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    Hey Ezekiel. This is in no way an attempt to get into an argument... but I feel the need to defend the Hurricane's honor!

Please don't compare the "Hurri" to a "torpecker"! I think I get what you're saying... that the Spitfire was far more the iconic RAF fighter. Even, perhaps, that it was a better aircraft. And, I'll admit happily, those elliptical wings are as close to perfection as one is likely to get... but the Hurricane was far from useless! Not only was it responsible for more air-to-air victories during the Battle of Britain that its stablemate, it soldiered on into 1942, serving as a fighter-bomber over the deserts of North Africa. Additionally, it performed admirably in Russia. It was a rugged, stable gun platform.

It was not the disaster that was the Devastator.

So please... please... denigrate the "torpecker" to your heart's content... but please spare the Hurricane!
    https://youtu.be/mGp4DvFEgh8

Considering the molasses like release schedule for this game at times over the years, I am disappointed that planes that were announced in late 2014, are still not on my gaming table in nearly 2018. The Corsair and P-38 especially are important and iconic aircraft from the WWII era and I am looking forward to playing with official Ares models and components of these planes. Unlike many of you talented members, I don’t have the skills nor time to make such amazing stand in models while we wait for the official versions. I can understand why Ares felt compelled to go with more aircraft related to the recent BoB boxed set and felt like it was in their best interests and potentially of those playing BoB campaigns would love to add these bombers to embelish this campaign setting. That being said, I am extremely disappointed that it will be likely 2019 or later before I potentially see official Corsairs and P-38s. This decision is even harder to swallow due to the slow release cycle we have seen of late. On the one hand, my wallet is Ok with that, on the other hand the wait for the above mentioned aircraft is excruciating. As a collector/player of both WWI and WWII and also fully understanding that Ares doesn’t have the deep pockets of say, Fantasy Flight, I can understand and even appreciate the circumstances they are up against and that they need to recoup from their investment in production before moving on to the next release. That being said, I am still disappointed and hope we see the Midway set soon, so that we can hopefully also see official Corsairs and P-38s on my gaming table in the near future in the follow-up release. (Yes, I am aware that the Corsair came much later in the war after the Battle of Midway and that the P-38 was more prevelant in the skies over Europe, *although it was present in the Pacific and famously known as the plane that killed Yamamoto.)

That being said, do we know the four bombers from this new revised “Wave 7”? From what I have seen, it’s the Sparviero, Do.17 Flying Pencil (how this was chosen over the JU-88 is beyond me and concerning as it appears after this wave the BoB era is more or less considered complete by Ares and we may have to wait a very long time for Ares to revisit this era/theater and have a long wait for an official Ju-88) and the Blenheim. Do we know the fourth plane yet? I would assume it’s another early war British or perhaps French medium bomber. Although, it’s a fighter could we see the Paul Bolton Defiant sneak into this release ? Personally, I highly doubt it, but it is a historically significant aircraft to this particular point in the war, in as much as it was there and fought.
    Last edited by P-51D; 12-02-2017 at 08:58.

I'm on your side, Daniel.

It hurts to know that series 7 will not hit the desks in a manageable time.

F4U Corsair would be a blast like the P38!

Boyinton, J.T.Blackburn, McGuire, Bong...

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    I'm on your side, Daniel.

It hurts to know that series 7 will not hit the desks in a manageable time.

F4U Corsair would be a blast like the P38!

Boyinton, J.T.Blackburn, McGuire, Bong...
    Agreed! In the words of the late and beloved, Tom Petty, “The waiting is the hardest part”.

Another concern of mine, would be a Torpedo plane release jumping this set as well. As much as I would love an Avenger, Kate, and hopefully Swordfish (sorry, I am one of those ridiculous, Stringbag lovers). I want the Corsair and P-38 even more. Although, all five of the planes in this post are a high priority to me.

I was just thinking, one way we could see a JU-88 sooner than later is if Ares releases it as a torpedo bomber variant with the other torpedo planes when the6 eventually come out. Personally, I think the Sparviero should have been in the torpedo bomber release and the JU-88 and Do.17 both in the medium bombers release. But what do I Know?
    Last edited by P-51D; 12-02-2017 at 09:55.

My guess is that these bombers will be released as an especial pack just like B-25 and He-11, and hopefully won't interfere with Series -- or maybe this is just wishfull thinking from me.

I would love having torpedo bombers (and yes, Daniel, I'm one of those Strinbag lovers too, so I would love to see an Avenger, a Kate, a SM97 and a Swordfish) but my guessing is that we won't see them any time soon -- hopefully we'll get series 7 some time next year ... these two bombers on 2019 ... torpedo bombers 2020?

My guess is that these bombers will be released as an especial pack just like B-25 and He-11, and hopefully won't interfere with Series -- or maybe this is just wishfull thinking from me.

I would love having torpedo bombers (and yes, Daniel, I'm one of those Strinbag lovers too, so I would love to see an Avenger, a Kate, a SM97 and a Swordfish) but my guessing is that we won't see them any time soon -- hopefully we'll get series 7 some time next year ... these two bombers on 2019 ... torpedo bombers 2020?
    It would appear these bombers are next in line for release, pushing Series 7 back in the production queue. Who knows when/if we will see series 7 now.

As they mentioned 4 bombers to round out the early war, I'm assuming BoB here, since they have shown their hand with the Me 110 and Blenheim. Could the other two be a reissue of the He111 and hopefully a Ju88?

Quote Originally Posted by P-51D View Post
    It would appear these bombers are next in line for release, pushing Series 7 back in the production queue. Who knows when/if we will see series 7 now.
    if that is the case it sucks

There are 4 bombers for this next release. We only officially know that the Do.17 and Blenheim will be included. The SM.79 is clearly being tested but thats where that speculation ends unless I'm missing something. So there are 2 more bombers that we dont know about yet. If the Ju88 is not included in these remaining 2 then I will seriously question the decision making at Ares, again... To ommit such an iconic bomber from BoB then consider that time period complete without it will be almost unforgivable.

Quote Originally Posted by Canestri10 View Post
    To ommit such an iconic bomber from BoB then consider that time period complete without it will be almost unforgivable.
    Here here. The Ju-88 is very deserving of inclusion, especially in my mind over the “Flying Pencil”. Not that the Do.17 doesn’t have a place in the game, it’s just my opinion the Ju-88 is the better choice.

Let me start by saying that I would love to have some Ju.88 models available for the game. Now, in terms of the Battle of Britain, there were more Do.17's involved than Ju.88's and perhaps this is why the Do.17 was chosen by Ares for issue as a model.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwump View Post
    Well now... that's brilliant! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Its enough to make a person get some elves!
    We're talking about "documented" elves, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Let me start by saying that I would love to have some Ju.88 models available for the game. Now, in terms of the Battle of Britain, there were more Do.17's involved than Ju.88's and perhaps this is why the Do.17 was chosen by Ares for issue as a model.
    That's a fair point. I'd love to see a Ju 88, but will be happy to see a Do.17 as it's reasonably close in appearance to a Do.217 and could do double duty.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. WGF: Series 9 lineup!
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 710
    Last Post: 09-15-2016, 18:44
  2. Wings of Glory next Series after Series 6
    By Kaiser in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 03-25-2013, 14:49
  3. WGF Seeking some series 1-3 minis, have some of series 1, 2 and 4 to trade
    By Xen in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds