Ares Games

Thread: Frank Luke Jr's last flight today; Flight sim movie in progress!

Default Frank Luke Jr's last flight today; Flight sim movie in progress!

On this day, 96 years ago, 2nd Lt Frank Luke Jr died behind enemy lines in a small field. He was, at that time, America's reigning Ace of Aces with 18 confirmed victories, not to mention several unconfirmed ones. Even more astonishing was the fact that Frank Luke claimed all these victories in the space of only 17 days. To quote Eddie Rickenbacker, “No other Ace: Britain’s Bishop from Canada, France’s Fonck or even the dreaded Richthofen had ever come close to that.”

What made his record even more impressive is that 14 of his confirmed victories were observation balloons. While the term "balloon" may be deceiving, observation balloons were some of the most difficult aerial targets of the First World War. They were surrounded by flak and AA batteries, could absorb a considerable amount of bullets and often had defensive fighters patrolling above. To crown it all, if one succeeded in blowing a balloon up, chances are he would be caught in the ensuing fireball. It is no wonder then that American pilot Jerry Vasconcells once commented, "Any man who gets a balloon has my respect."

Frank Luke's last flight occurred on September 29, 1918. Taking off from a forward airbase near Verdun, Frank Luke proceeded to the German lines where he damaged 1 balloon and destroyed 2 others. As he turned for home, he was hit by AA fire and mortally wounded. He proceeded to land in a field near the village of Murvaux. When he heard the German soldiers coming to capture him, he drew his pistol, fired a few shots and ran for the nearby stream. He died before they could capture him. So ended the career of one of America's best fighter pilots.

I thought this would be a good time to reveal that I am making a flight sim movie titled "Legend of Murvaux: The Final Flight of Frank Luke Jr." 777 Studio's flight sim Rise of Flight: The First Great Air War is going to be the base for the film with green screen elements and effects added in. I'm not trying to win any contests or best other, more experienced movie-makers mind you, I'm just trying to give flight sim movie-making my best shot.

The project was actually started way back in June 2013. Since then I have been researching, buying costumes, storyboarding with my younger brother, choosing music and shooting in Rise of Flight. When the film is more complete, I will upload a trailer containing footage from the film.

Production will not be too fast, but that's to be expected. As a college student I have a full schedule lol. I also am helping my younger brother with his own film entitled "The Thrust of Greatness". It is a more comic film about an English gentleman living in America who fancies himself a mastermind detective. I will keep you posted as we get further into that as well.

Finally, I thought I'd show you a screenshot from what we have done so far with the Frank Luke film:

Thanks all!
    HotleadColdfeet

Hmm. That seems very interesting Cole! There are some films entitled "The Death of ...". Is your film some of this kind?
    Ps: i wish i could learn playing RoF....
    Thanks

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Barkmann View Post
    Hmm. That seems very interesting Cole! There are some films entitled "The Death of ...". Is your film some of this kind?
    Ps: i wish i could learn playing RoF....
    Thanks

Nick
    Frank Luke Jr. is typically remembered for his last stand when it's all said and done. I had originally planned to cover his entire career in my film but finally decided that was too broad a focus and would make my film overly-lengthy. So yes, I suppose this is a "death of a legend" type film.

As far as ROF, did you mean your computer won't support it or that you own it but don't know how to play it yet? If it's the latter, I'd be happy to teach you what I know. I've been flying for over a year and a half now; while I'm not the best pilot, I'm fairly experienced. I typically get on and fly at the Aces Falling and/or New Fliers and Friends servers around 10:20 AM or so on weekdays (12:20 PM São Paulo time). I don't do teamspeak, but feel welcome to join me whenever you want. I go by Rookie Ace in multiplayer.

Well, here is my situation: i thought that I didn't have a good computer. But then i discovered i had. So i started playing War Thunder on Simulator modes. Its really cool, but nothing like RoF. So instaled their demo version. The graphics arent great on my computer so it was very hard to destroy something. Finally it broked when i was using. I have a Mac Mini too, but I dont know if it could support RoF, or even WT.
    Thanks

Nick

So sorry to hear that Nick! Hope it can be fixed.

Thanks! I hope that too!

Looking forward to the trailer Cole. Will see you in the virtual skies.

Sounds like a very interesting project Cole.
    I wish you the best of luck in its implementation.
    Please keep us informed about your progress.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Talking

Salute all!

Here is the long-awaited trailer!

I know it's been a long time (more than a year, actually ) since the initial update, but this last year has been a big one for me. Since last update, I have enrolled in college, joined a Rise of Flight squadron, worked full-time at a growing company, and helped my younger brother shoot his own venture ("Detective for a Day") over the whole summer. (You can see his finished film here: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...A-Day-premiere! ) During all this time, "Legend of Murvuax" had needed to be shelved until a better time arose. Well, gentlemen, that time has come! The trailer is finally out, and the short film itself is in the final stages of editing.Then we'll present it to our test audience, make the necessary tweaks, and publish it to YouTube!

Looks like a winner, Cole.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    Looks like a winner, Cole.
    Rise of Flight looks fantastic graphics-wise too: Looks like it beats the living daylights out of Microsoft FSX Video Quality ... Though my main interest is WGS I'm looking forward to seeing this when it's completed

Thumbs up

Love the Trailer Cole.

Looking forward to seeing the finished film.

Best wishes, Cole. Oscar Nomination for 2017?

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Love the Trailer Cole.

Looking forward to seeing the finished film.
    Indeed wingman.......nice work Cole!

Very impressive Cole.

It never ceases to amaze me what a multi-talented lot we have on the Drome.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Can't wait to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Willi Von Klugermann View Post
    Looking forward to it.
    Ditto!

Similar Missions

1. The Stand - Frank Luke
    By predhead in forum Polls
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-16-2018, 22:30
  2. WGFB: Stand, The: The Final Flight of Frank Luke, Jr.
    By predhead in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-21-2013, 10:00
  3. An essay on Frank Luke
    By diceslinger in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-13-2013, 04:11
  4. Interest n Frank Luke Campaign?
    By sparty in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-29-2012, 18:03