Ares Games

Thread: Mission5 The Bigger they come. 52 Sq(Bulldogs) Kyte.

Default Mission5 The Bigger they come. 52 Sq(Bulldogs) Kyte.

The Bigger they come.

Kyte felt the Nieuport shudder. It felt as if the engine were tearing itself loose.
    He tried to shut it down, but the vibration only got worse. Then he started to smell the aroma of something burning. The plane fell! It seemed like an eternity. As he lay on his back in the field, although he could see nothing he heard the dulcet voice of a young French girl softly calling to him in his ear, and the smell of burning was still overwhelming his senses.

What was she trying to tell him? He could feel himself slipping away.

If he listened hard he may just be able to catch the last words he would ever hear. The plane was shaking again.

"Wake up sir. Please wake up."

It was Robert his batman, shaking the end of the bed, with a steaming cup of Coffee from which a smell of roasted beans emanated.
    "Come on sir. I thought you would never wake up. Good party last night was it sir?"
    Kyte wished it had not been so good a night, as he took the first tentative sips of the scalding beverage which his batman had handed to him.
    "What time is it Robert"? he mumbled whilst trying desperately to focus on his wristwatch lying on his bedside cabinet.
    "Gone 4.15 am sir."
    "But it is too early for dawn patrol yet Robert, and anyway it's B Flight's turn this morning"
    "Bit of a flap on I'm afraid sir. CO. just got a message from Wing. Apparently there was a Zep raid over England last night sir, and some Coastal Airship sent a Morse message to say that one of the wounded beasties is heading this way.
    the whole Squadron is to get airborne by dawn to see if we can intercept her.

Some twenty minutes later, and with a couple of poached eggs inside him violently trying to get back out again, Kyte was in the air alongside his wingman for the mission,
    He glanced across to 's Nieuport's beautiful sesqi streamlined silhouette, that only the French seemed capable of producing, marred by the ugly protruding newfangled Le Prieur Rockets attached under its top wing on their racks.
    God knew if they would make any difference to a fight against a Zeppelin even if they chanced to find it in the early dawn mist that pervaded the whole coastline. More likely to rip the wings out of the beautiful but frail looking aircraft.
    At that very moment of reflection, and with his breakfast making a last desperate bid for freedom he saw Charlie Bates gesticulating wildly from his cockpit, and pointing east.
    Looming up out of the mist was the shape of a Zeppelin.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_5474.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	144821

"Good Grief it was vast. filling the sky with its bulk". Well if the Rockets were going to tear the wings off Charlie's plane we were soon going to find out.
    As the two pilots approached, it was obvious that the Behemoth was badly hurt.

Name:	DSC_5478.jpg 
Size:	179.0 KB 
ID:	144824

Name:	DSC_5477.jpg 
Size:	170.7 KB 
ID:	144823

Down by the tail, and with a rent in the side panels, it was struggling to hold its course against the strengthening wind which was now shredding g the mist into rapidly thinning strands of vapour.

Without more ado Bates sheared off into his attacking run.

Name:	DSC_5479.jpg 
Size:	125.9 KB 
ID:	144825

Even as he did so the last eddies of mist blew away to reveal an Eindecker bearing down on the action.

Name:	DSC_5480.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	144826

"So!" thought Kyte, as he moved in to engage," The RNAS were not the only ones to have got off a Morse message that morning."

Name:	DSC_5483.jpg 
Size:	162.5 KB 
ID:	144827

The Belgian Archie gunners had obviously also been alerted early, for as the Eindecker closed, a wicked explosion burst not far off its Port wing.
    Undeterred by the commotion, Charlie fired his full salvo of rockets as soon as he got within range of the Zeppelin.

Name:	DSC_5484.jpg 
Size:	174.0 KB 
ID:	144828

To Kyte's surprise and immense relief, the wings did not rip off the Nieuport, and most of the rockets actually headed roughly in the direction of the immense target.
    In fact, at that range they could hardly miss, and almost at once a blossom of fire sprang up from the crown of the Zeps envelope.

Name:	DSC_5486.jpg 
Size:	158.1 KB 
ID:	144830

Name:	DSC_5485.jpg 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	144829

Kyte, satisfied that his Wingman had executed his part well now Immelmanned away from the Zep to deal with the oncoming Eindecker.

As he hung almost motionless at the top of his climb, an astute and opportunist gunner on the Zeppelins upper deck took a pot shot at Kyte with his Spandau.

Name:	DSC_5487.jpg 
Size:	179.9 KB 
ID:	144831

Kyte, immediately discovered to his cost that the Zep was not the only craft on fire in that cold bright dawn sky. Fortunately within seconds Bates' return fire silenced the gunner for good.

Name:	DSC_5488.jpg 
Size:	151.0 KB 
ID:	144832

He continued to maul the airship as Kyte battled to keep the fire away from the doped canvass of his aircraft. Fortunately, the mist damp canvass seemed reluctant to burn freely, as the oil burnt off the engine manifold.
    Throwing his aircraft into a wild turn to keep the flames at bay Kyte caught the Eindecker pilot off guard. He obviously had thought that the Nieuport was doomed.

Name:	DSC_5490.jpg 
Size:	174.0 KB 
ID:	144834

Being sprayed with Lewis bullets soon disabused him of any ideas that Kyte was out for the count.
    There now ensued a most unusual combat.

Name:	DSC_5491.jpg 
Size:	180.8 KB 
ID:	144835

With Archie bursts exploding between them, and Kyte trying to swerve his plane away from the fire, the hapless Fokker pilot was hit almost immediately in the shoulder.
    Moreover, Kyte' erratic manoeuvres just happened to coincide with the shocked turn of the Eindecker, keeping it under his guns.

Name:	DSC_5492.jpg 
Size:	185.1 KB 
ID:	144836

As the fire waned on Kyte's aircraft, and with no escape the Fokker continued to suffer a storm of bullets ripping into its vitals.

Name:	DSC_5494.jpg 
Size:	182.8 KB 
ID:	144837

Name:	DSC_5496.jpg 
Size:	168.9 KB 
ID:	144839

Name:	DSC_5497.jpg 
Size:	175.5 KB 
ID:	144840

Name:	DSC_5498.jpg 
Size:	149.0 KB 
ID:	144841

Name:	DSC_5495.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	189.9 KB 
ID:	144838

Meanwhile a new player arrived on the scene in the form of no less than the German budding Ace Ernst Udet.

Name:	DSC_5499.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	151.6 KB 
ID:	144842

He soon spotted Bates going in for another attack on the Zeppelin, which seemed as reluctant to burn as did Kyte's machine.

Name:	DSC_5501.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	144843

Kyte meanwhile, was finishing his adversary in the green Fokker.

Name:	DSC_5504.jpg 
Size:	179.9 KB 
ID:	144844

As another ineffectual Archie burst failed to find the altitude, Kyte gave a sustained raking sweep of fire along the length of the Eindecker. A splinter of wood concussed the pilot, and his aircraft floated gently down in a slow spiral to crash land not far from one of the AA batteries.

Name:	DSC_5505.jpg 
Size:	156.2 KB 
ID:	144845

Although the Zeppelin continued to smoulder, Kyte now had other things to worry about.

Name:	DSC_5506.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	143.3 KB 
ID:	144846

No sooner had he dealt with the Green Fokker, than he dived head on into Ernst Udet's machine, and at that very moment his Lewis ran out of Ammo.

Name:	DSC_5507.jpg 
Size:	208.8 KB 
ID:	144847

Charlie Bates continued to hammer away at the Zep, but was himself now receiving return fire from the two re-manned guns on its Starboard side.

Name:	DSC_5508.jpg 
Size:	132.8 KB 
ID:	144848

Whilst Kyte frantically changed his drum of ammo, Udet had to dodge yet another AA burst from the Belgian ground forces.

Name:	DSC_5509.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	181.4 KB 
ID:	144849

The exchange of fire between Charlie and the Zeppelin crew was now intensifying without any visible results for Bates, although just as it seemed that one gun was getting his range it fortuitously jammed.

Name:	DSC_5510.jpg 
Size:	160.0 KB 
ID:	144850

It was ,however just too late to save Charlie from the other gun, which finally brought him down with a very poorly machine indeed. With no power, and only coming to his senses a few hundred feet above the ground, it was all he could do to manage a rough crash landing, before again passing out. Fortunately there was no fire.

Name:	DSC_5511.jpg 
Size:	151.9 KB 
ID:	144851

Whilst Kyte was re-adjusting his Lewis after reloading,he failed to see charlie go down and he was also caught by Udet, just as he sat down. This caused his plane to veer off course and luckily Udet's bullets went wide.

Name:	DSC_5513.jpg 
Size:	140.5 KB 
ID:	144852

Leaving Udet to deal with another ill directed Belgian Archie shell Kyte exchanged fire with the Zep, but neither party had any success in the exchange.

Name:	DSC_5514.jpg 
Size:	125.1 KB 
ID:	144853

The Zeppelin was now within range of the town's AA but its fire was also equally unsuccessful.

Name:	DSC_5515.jpg 
Size:	136.3 KB 
ID:	144854

Kyte now hit the Zep in a sustained burst which set more of its cells on fire.

Name:	DSC_5516.jpg 
Size:	162.5 KB 
ID:	144855

In the return his engine was hit and shards from his windshield created a nasty gash on his forehead.
    Partly blinded by blood on his goggles, he just crept his Nieuport under the body of the great behemoth, clearing it by inches only.
    This probably saved him from the attentions of Udet who had to sheer off to avoid hitting his own countrymen.

Name:	DSC_5517.jpg 
Size:	135.6 KB 
ID:	144856

By the time he had dived to pursue Kyte under the belly of the Zep, Kyte had managed to clear his goggles, perform a split -s and was returning toward him at great speed.

Name:	DSC_5518.jpg 
Size:	152.8 KB 
ID:	144857

AA fire again came to Kyte's rescue, for whilst it failed to damage the airship, it served to drive Udet further away on its far side, giving the wounded Kyte with his damaged engine time to make a break for home before it was too late.

Name:	DSC_5519.jpg 
Size:	147.9 KB 
ID:	144858

A final parting shot from the Zep put another hole in Kyte's Nieuport but did no real further damage.

Name:	DSC_5520.jpg 
Size:	131.4 KB 
ID:	144859

As Kyte made off Udet got in another shot at extreme range, but once again Archie bursts obscured his view.

Name:	DSC_5521.jpg 
Size:	185.9 KB 
ID:	144860

Both Udet and the Zep which was steadily loosing height were now subjected to an increasingly accurate fire from the Belgian AA as he tried to shepherd his giant consort to safety.

Name:	DSC_5522.jpg 
Size:	143.0 KB 
ID:	144861

Name:	DSC_5524.jpg 
Size:	132.2 KB 
ID:	144863

What Kyte and Bates had conspicuously failed to do was now achieved by the Fire Damage and the Belgians.

Name:	DSC_5527.jpg 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	144865

Name:	DSC_5526.jpg 
Size:	153.8 KB 
ID:	144864

Diving for his aerodrome, Kyte failed to see the Sky behind him suddenly turn orange as the great leviathan, it's back broken, finally subsided into the Belgian countryside.

Name:	DSC_5528.jpg 
Size:	148.9 KB 
ID:	144866

Udet simply shrugged his shoulders and headed for home before any more Allied aircraft turned up to see what the fire was.

The Butcher's bill.

52sq. Bulldogs.

Flt. Lt. A Kyte. RTB. W. one kill. Engine damaged.
    Flt Lt. Charlie Bates. SD. FT.
    The Belgian AA Battery. I kill.

Name:	DSC_5530.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	172.4 KB 
ID:	144868

The Eagles.
    Green Eindecker SD.
    Ltn. Ernst Udet. RTB.

Name:	DSC_5531.jpg 
Size:	172.5 KB 
ID:	144869

Zeppelin SD. on Fire. I kill.

Name:	DSC_5529.jpg 
Size:	182.5 KB 
ID:	144867

Afterword! History has yet to decide the ultimate fate of Kyte and Bates.

Rob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_5475.jpg   DSC_5489.jpg   DSC_5523.jpg  
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Absolutely brilliant!

Brilliant, Rob!
    What an adventure.
    Excellent AAR!
    No REP allowed. Can someone please REP this gentleman on me?
    I would be very grateful.

L10 having tried to bomb Sandringham and badly damaged is shot down over Belgium.

What a postscript to Doncaster.

Great AAR Rob, lovely to see L10 in action again.

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

Thumbs up

Another masterly AAR from the pen of Rob.
    Great action & it seems in most cases so far it needs the AA guns to finally kill the "Beast".
    Well fought those Bulldogs!

Thanks for all the nice remarks chaps.
    It seems that this one seemed to almost write itself, once I had the preamble done.
    A great tie up with Doncaster Neil, although I actually flew this mission before the weekend. Just did not have time to write it up.
    I wonder why that could have been?
    Just waiting for the Butchers' tally to be reckoned up now.
    Rob.

Awesome write up Rob, Udet the master of the dodge. Rep on it's way. Maybe not, I'm being told i need to spread the love.

Yet another brutal encounter with the mighty Zeppelin - you certainly had your work cut out with that beastie that's for sure and did well to get one crate away in one piece. I thought / hoped the rockets may have been the weapon to do the job but the 'fire fighting' of the Zep crew seems to have robbed Bates of his deserved victory. We're now seeing why Palmer got a VC !!
    Wonderfully pictured and narrated Rob; the French have been on the blower and have asked when they can have their N.17 back, not too happy with the crown you painted on it apparently...! (N.17 RFC Jul16). Now for the good news/bad news bit -

Lt. A Kyte:Rolled 9 -1WIA +3RTB = 11 All well when you land well !
    2Lt Charlie Bates:* Rolled 3 -1SD = 2 KIA.
    (*Keep me abreast of developments, last I looked he was a Sgt Observer - Moot point now though )

Sorry about Bates Dave in more ways than one. First outing as a pilot too.
    At least I'm not senior enough to have to send the letter home.
    With Kyte coming up for a spot of home leave due soon, I'd better look at replacing Bates pronto.
    Thanks for all your work on the stats.
    Rob.

Great AAR Rob - and another Zep brought down! (maybe Fritz will get the message and stop sending them over )

Positively riveting. Once again a tale of heroics brought to life.

With all those WW2 reports of pilots seeing strange objects flying about that weren't the enemy... I think I spotted a dark saucer shaped object flying in front of Udet leading him home.

Nice bit of writing there sir!
    One hopes young Kyte isn't getting the wind up with these odd dreams
    A touch of R&R with possibly a lady typist in Soho perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by johnbiggles View Post
    Nice bit of writing there sir!
    One hopes young Kyte isn't getting the wind up with these odd dreams
    A touch of R&R with possibly a lady typist in Soho perhaps?
    As luck would have it John, young Kyte copped a Blighty in mission 7 and won't be back until mission 12.
    You can expect a letter from him any day now he is out of hospital and recuperating at home.
    Rob.

Might seem a silly question Rob, as I have just noticed, where did you get the dice from? Love the Biplane on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Might seem a silly question Rob, as I have just noticed, where did you get the dice from? Love the Biplane on them.
    Here you go Neil.

http://www.em4miniatures.com/acatalog/Aircraft.html

Rob.

Dash it all sir, I'm trying to save up for some N17s, and here I am buying dice!
    Very nice though, had to be done.

Dash it all sir, I'm trying to save up for some N17s, and here I am buying dice!
    Very nice though, had to be done.
    Sorry John.
    In future I will PM the requested information to the party concerned, then it won't offend any other pilots pocket book.
    Kyte.

Finds like this should be shared Rob. We are big boys and girls and should know when and how to keep our wallets closed. I for one will also be getting some of these little gems.

I think I should point out Peter, that John and I go way back some 20 years or so, and that my remark was totally tongue in cheek.
    John will get it immediately. Sorry to cause you to think any different.
    Rob.

Some other nice finds on that site too Rob. Cheers for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I think I should point out Peter, that John and I go way back some 20 years or so, and that my remark was totally tongue in cheek.
    John will get it immediately. Sorry to cause you to think any different.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Extremely cool.

Glad you are finding the site interesting chaps. Those dice make very nice cheap prizes for events.
    Rob.

Thrilling encounter, brilliantly written, thanks.

Cheers Trev.
    I'm glad that you enjoyed it.
    Kyte will be back in a couple of months from now, once his Blighty has healed, and he has laid up some G&T for the future.
    Thanks for the Rep by the way.
    Rob.

Also sorry if others misread the intention of my comments.
    I tend to practice an ancient and slightly twisted form of English wit, which can misfire if not handled carefully.
    Actually, I'm very glad Neil asked the question, as I kept forgetting to.
    Messers shapeways have just delivered a brace of Nieuports, which will go nicely with the new dice that are larger than I expected, and beautifully decorated. Very crisp images in the flesh as it were.

Also sorry if others misread the intention of my comments.
    I tend to practice an ancient and slightly twisted form of English wit, which can misfire if not handled carefully.

Looks as if we are in the same boat then John!

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...Tour-2012-2013

Rob.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-11-2013, 19:55
  2. BRF Over the trenches, mission5. The final months. Briefing.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 08-13-2013, 04:48
  3. AAR The Prototype. Flying Officer Kyte. (The Bulldogs.)
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-12-2012, 02:05
  4. AAR TWO. Spot the Spotter. F.O. Kyte. 52Sq.(Bulldogs)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-04-2012, 12:27
  5. 1/144 scale scratch builders need to think bigger
    By OrlokSubedei in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-09-2011, 13:28