Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: All the action from table 1: Annual Aerodrome Weekend, Doncaster 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Do we think Doncaster is worth a medal?
    Until I can get better at embossing and beveling, this is what I came up with:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Doncaster14.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	144949

It should have all the flag colors, including red and white for next year, too!

[Edit} I didn't note the "N" dropping off the image when I converted it from Illustrator to a web image. Weird that the shadow is still there. This should fix it:

Name:	Doncaster14a.png 
Views:	57 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	145158
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 09-28-2014 at 09:43.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

I do like the idea of including the attendees colours in the ribbon.
    Hopefully we will have to put a green band in there before too long.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Very nice. (Needs a 'N' at the end Mike)
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Very nice. (Needs a 'N' at the end Mike)
    Well spotted Squadron Leader. I picked up the Hank Marvin and missed the missing letter totally.
    Kyte.

I don't know, has a bit of a European sound to it without the N at the end

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    There is a presedent set for this by PragueCon.
    Wilson, Lincoln or Eisenhower?

We would need to check with those who have attended both to see if they thought it was on a similar standing.
    Rob.
    I've attended both. I would say hand on heart that they are most definitely of equal standing
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 09-28-2014 at 08:42.

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    I don't know, has a bit of a European sound to it without the N at the end
    Southern European, yes. On seeing it I was immediately reminded of "scorchio"!

Do you want your cold back now I've finished with it David?

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Wilson, Lincoln or Eisenhower?

I've attended both. I would say hand on heart that they are most definitely of equal standing
    I really can't see what you are getting at Dave!

Thanks! Gaffe amended.
    Should have gone to Specsavers
    Rob.

No, thats fine, thanks. I've picked up another one since then so I'm OK for germs just now

Fixed the spelling on the medal (see above).
    Mike

So its his fault? I'm just about done with one myself. You can be proud its gone international!

Still going strong over here if you are missing it. I didn't realise that NBC warfare was a feature of WW1!

You chaps can't pass on germs like this, it's not the 1918 Flu epidemic yet you know.
    Kyte.

Love the medal Mike, any chance of including Doncaster on it?
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    I think the idea is to make it a generic medal Neil, but I would like to see it Doncaster exclusive too.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Fixed the spelling on the medal (see above).
    Not to be a pain, but I know I am, instead of 2 red or white stripes how about one green for the Wales flag? It was not in the picture but there was a Welsh flag hanging. My Welsh Dragon wife would strongly approve!

Name:	FWALE35_l.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	9.5 KB 
ID:	145346

Well said Peter, deborah was a force majeur over the weekend and Wales should be represented.

You chaps can't pass on germs like this, it's not the 1918 Flu epidemic yet you know.
    Kyte.

It's a realistic re-enactment

It's a realistic re-enactment
    Point taken Squadron Leader.
    Kyte.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Not to be a pain, but I know I am, instead of 2 red or white stripes how about one green for the Wales flag? It was not in the picture but there was a Welsh flag hanging. My Welsh Dragon wife would strongly approve!

I approve this expedient and fully endorse the application of your suggestion Peter.
    It will also obviate the need to add the green stripe for Italy should any pilot from that country attend in future years.
    Rob.

The selection of colours was intended to represent the participants of Doncaster 2014. The medal would then be "traditional" for following years, with the number changed. However, if I read the other convention medal thread correctly, the inventory of medals in the database would become unmanageable changing every year, so that may not happen, if this one is adopted. The "imbalance" of colours was proportional to the countries that attended. Four flags had red and white in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post

Wales is a part of the UK, and already represented in that country's flag. This from a Welshman.

I approve this expedient and fully endorse the application of your suggestion Peter.
    It will also obviate the need to add the green stripe for Italy should any pilot from that country attend in future years.
    Rob.
    If I add in the green, we will have all the colours of the Olympic Rings, and therefore an excellent idea for an international medal. The composition and layout of the colours was to be the interchangeable part of different conventions, or at least, that was my original intention. Which is why green wasn't in the original design for this medal.

Do we want a very thin green strip, as a compromise, or leave that for other conventions?
    Mike

Although I like the idea of a medal for this, if it continues, which I hope it does, but I seem to remember the problem with so many convention medals was to do with the admin keeping up the different types for each year.
    To eleviate that problem could I suggest if a medal was to be considered it would just be a single Participant medal, no organiser or Gamesmaster, just one for attending, would this uncomplicated the issue ?
    As for the ribbon, very nice having a representation for each nationality. But I would prefer a simple single colour with the medal, something to a single crimson aka the VC, with the year of participation medal attached. Then they only thing that needs to be changed would be the year number

I have looked at all the suggestions here and have decided that Chris has the nub of what is required.
    A single medal for the con. Although looking to Doncaster for next year, who knows what venue future years may bring?
    Everyone who took part made sacrifices to the Con in some ways. Organizers of the event, hosts for our overseas guests, transportation, fixing hotel reservations, planning and executing games,taking the photographs, providing the food, producing sweat shirts, computer programming, or just paying for air travel and accommodation all adds up. Even the Oberst gave time and effort at long range to ensure the Trophies and my engraved glasses arrived on time, when he was very busy himself preparing for his trip to Europe.
    To this end it would be unfair singling anyone out. All attendees should get a medal of the same kind.
    However, I do want each country recognized, and therefore, am going with the multi-coloured ribbon, with the green band added after the red.
    It will cover my back re Wales being a Principality in its own right, and after the near catastrophe with Scotland, I do not want to go down in history as the man who lost us Wales.
    Rob.

I have looked at all the suggestions here and have decided that Chris has the nub of what is required.
    A single medal for the con. Although looking to Doncaster for next year, who knows what venue future years may bring?
    Everyone who took part made sacrifices to the Con in some ways. Organizers of the event, hosts for our overseas guests, transportation, fixing hotel reservations, planning and executing games,taking the photographs, providing the food, producing sweat shirts, computer programming, or just paying for air travel and accommodation all adds up. Even the Oberst gave time and effort at long range to ensure the Trophies and my engraved glasses arrived on time, when he was very busy himself preparing for his trip to Europe.
    To this end it would be unfair singling anyone out. All attendees should get a medal of the same kind.
    However, I do want each country recognized, and therefore, am going with the multi-coloured ribbon, with the green band added after the red.
    It will cover my back re Wales being a Principality in its own right, and after the near catastrophe with Scotland, I do not want to go down in history as the man who lost us Wales.
    Rob.
    That sounds like the best solution Rob. The Green stripe could also cover any of our Irish pilots and Italian as mentioned should they participate.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

All for one and one for all. Great idea Chris. But I too would love to keep the multi-coloured ribbon.

Excellent medals, Mike.
    REP sent.

Rob.
    Going with a single medal in one metal tone is good for any grade of issue. Taking the year out makes it work for any year of issue. In the original design, I used the colours of the original countries that participated. Otherwise, Teal would have made its appearance for Nightbomber. Throwing in a green strip would be OK, but I though I would put a very thin strip down the middle white strip. This would represent the small participation of one person, but being dead center would show the accuracy and deadliness of that particular individual. Heck, if we are going there, then crosshairs would be a more appropriate representation!

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    That sounds like the best solution Rob. The Green stripe could also cover any of our Irish pilots and Italian as mentioned should they participate.
    Other countries that attend in the future would have to go with the "traditional" founding members' colours. It wouldn't change from year to year. If future Irish or Italian players want to claim the green crosshairs as their element, that is up to them, but it wouldn't be the reason the colour ended up on the ribbon.

To that end, here is the "Timeless" medal design:

Name:	DoncasterV2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	145585

PS: Hmmm... Perhaps UK Nationals vs Doncaster for future consideration?
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 09-29-2014 at 15:34.
    Mike

On a totally different tack, yet in keeping with the title, has any one heard from Itchy, is he ok ?

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post

To that end, here is the "Timeless" medal design:

Name:	DoncasterV2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	145585

PS: Hmmm... Perhaps UK Nationals vs Doncaster for future consideration?
    I think the wording U.K. Convention is in line with our thinking Mike. It will not need changing if we move venues in future years.
    I do want the green stripe after the red and the same size please instead of the cross hairs which I feel would not show up enough on the reduced size medal. That will settle the medal for all time. As you say future members who attend will also get the standard medal.
    Thanks for all your work on this, and helping me to fix the final design in my mind.
    Rob.

If we use convention on the medal, will that not give the impression it is different to what it actually is.
    A convention gives the impression of games , good, but also trade stands to buy kit, which it doesn't, except the gift shop.
    However for next year I may have a solution if some discussions I have been prepping work to fruition.

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    If we use convention on the medal, will that not give the impression it is different to what it actually is.
    A convention gives the impression of games , good, but also trade stands to buy kit, which it doesn't, except the gift shop.
    However for next year I may have a solution if some discussions I have been prepping work to fruition.
    With this in mind, and the genuinely "family" feeling of the event, were we not a "Gathering" rather than a convention?

For my tuppencehappenyworth, IMHO, I would like to see 1 medal with 2014 added for all those who attended.

A separate generic one for the years after, same design but no year.

That way only those who attended the inaugural event get the special 2014, all others in future years the generic one.

Neil

Thats a very nice medal Mike, maybe it should be known as the 'Marion Medal'

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    The Oxford English Dictionary has this to say Chris.

A large meeting or conference, especially of members of a political party or a particular profession or group:

I think that pretty well covers it.
    Rob.

For my tuppencehappenyworth, IMHO, I would like to see 1 medal with 2014 added for all those who attended.

A separate generic one for the years after, same design but no year.

That way only those who attended the inaugural event get the special 2014, all others in future years the generic one.

Neil
    Some mileage there Neil. Let's see what Mike thinks of the idea.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbiggles View Post
    With this in mind, and the genuinely "family" feeling of the event, were we not a "Gathering" rather than a convention?
    I always think that a gathering is the sort of thing we did in the sixties John.
    Before anyone says it, no not the 1860s.
    Rob.

1760's, then?

1760's, then?
    I resemble that remark ex Squadron Leader.
    Oh! and your request for a Courts Martial of Hedeby is turned down.
    Kyte.

I think the wording U.K. Convention is in line with our thinking Mike. It will not need changing if we move venues in future years.
    I do want the green stripe after the red and the same size please instead of the cross hairs which I feel would not show up enough on the reduced size medal. That will settle the medal for all time. As you say future members who attend will also get the standard medal.
    Thanks for all your work on this, and helping me to fix the final design in my mind.
    Rob.
    Rob,
    Just to be clear, where am I putting this green strip? There are two red ones. And a new strip means resizing all the colors to make them equal. Just saying to ensure I align to your vision.

Wording for the medal could arch across the top. BTW: We need to get approval from Oberst Hajj for the medal, and more than one (IE: one with a year, one generic) may not be approved. If we do that, the year could go in the middle, then a plane for the generic one? Which plane?
    Mike

I don't want to make all that extra work for you Mike. Just run the green stripe down the middle in place of the extra white.

Let's arch over the top then and put the year in each time. No need for a generic one then.
    Rob.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. The World War I flying ace made his annual appearance
    By georgerutherfor in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 09-29-2014, 01:25
  2. Doncaster 19th-21st September 2014.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Doncaster 2014
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 09-21-2014, 06:00
  3. SIGN UP HERE FOR GAMES AT DONCASTER.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Doncaster 2014