Ares Games

Thread: Card storage box?

DuncanBiscuits

Default Card storage box?

Has anyone got any kind of Deck box/card storage box? I ask because I have 1 box set, and 5 boosters so I have too many cards to fit in the box!

I currently have all my manoeuvres decks in the Dawn of wars plastic insert tray, with all the aircraft cards from the DoW set, plus my 5 booster are currently in a jiffy bag, not ideal! They all have sleeves on, so I am looking for a storage box that would fit as many cards in as possible, including sleeves, as snugly as possible.

Anyone know if anything like this exists, or is there anything else that while not necessarily meant for this would do the job nicely?

Cheers,
    Duncan

Look at this thread

Aerodrome > Off Duty > Aerodrome Accessories > Outrider Hobbies / Aerodrome Accessories custom WoW foam trays

(it's on the Home list at the moment).

KiltedWolf (james) had a great idea and posts are really interesting.

Attilio

Here's a site where you enter the dimensions of the cards (or sleeves), and it creates a tuckbox that you can print, cut out, fold, and glue.

http://tuckbox.gameupdates.com/
    Last edited by tuladin; 08-30-2010 at 20:30.

Quote Originally Posted by tuladin View Post
    Here's a site where you enter the dimensions of the cards (or sleeves), and it creates a tuckbox that you can print, cut out, fold, and glue.

What a cracking good site. That should sort out the A's and B's. O.K.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

At the moment I am storing my cards in the spare compartments of the rules boxes. Does anyone know about the protective sleeves that are supposed to be available for the cards, please?

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    At the moment I am storing my cards in the spare compartments of the rules boxes. Does anyone know about the protective sleeves that are supposed to be available for the cards, please?
    Hi David,

You might want to wade through this thread:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...ective+sleeves
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Hey guys, for tuck boxes, I've been working on some that will work with all the maneuver decks, damage decks, and a few for extra cards. They have a nice WWII graphics theme to them as well as labels. Once I have them sorted out, I'll post the files here and make the announcement so you know they are ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    Hey guys, for tuck boxes, I've been working on some that will work with all the maneuver decks, damage decks, and a few for extra cards. They have a nice WWII graphics theme to them as well as labels. Once I have them sorted out, I'll post the files here and make the announcement so you know they are ready.
    Another first for the Col. Well done sir. How do you find the time to do all this for us?
    Rob.

Humm, i don't sleep... really, check out the times that I'm posting on this site. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    Are they going to be just for WWII? Not WWI?

Here is a a French site that has some printable boxes that are already themed to match the game cards. I don't read French but I have used several things from this site. I have already seen some of their things on this site.
    http://assoc.pagespro-orange.fr/etro.../pagecadre.htm Click on GOODIES and page down to the picture of the blue card box at the bottom of the page.

I reccommend that you print the boxes on at least 100lb paper for strength. Once you print one off it will be obvious how they go together.

As far as the card sleeves are concerned, I have some and do like them for those times that I am going to do demos of the game. They keep the cards from getting worn and sticky as the coating wears off. It will also allow you to mark your personal cards for sorting after game time without having to actually mark up the cards themselves. I have not found that they casuse any issues with game play, however I would leave the plane cards uncovered so they stay put better.
    Last edited by Charlie3; 09-01-2010 at 10:18.

Name
    Paul
    Sorties Flown

I took a completely different approach. I made some matboard dividers to fit in a Drachens box. It manages to hold cards from several sets, some boosters and all my counters in one easy-to-carry box.

The cards themselves are grouped using elastic bands, which may be inelegant, I suppose.

Are they going to be just for WWII? Not WWI?
    I'll be doing some for WWI as well... or doing a generic design that will cover both.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie3 View Post
    Here is a a French site that has some printable boxes that are already themed to match the game cards. I don't read French but I have used several things from this site. I have already seen some of their things on this site.
    http://assoc.pagespro-orange.fr/etro.../pagecadre.htm Click on GOODIES and page down to the picture of the blue card box at the bottom of the page.
    I've seen those as well, never tried them though. I was actually thinking about seeing how feasible it would be to have real tuck boxes printed up.

Default Card Storage Option

I don't think I've seen anyone using the same storage approach that I use, so thought I would share. It's fairly inexpensive and all decks are with their respective planes, organized by sets. I use the card boxes that Dan MacConnell posted on the Yahoo site for my decks, but I had to create slightly larger ones with CorelDraw for the plane cards (and some highly used damage decks) as I use the Euro sleeves for those. You'll see the difference in the photos.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PA190158xp.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	1178
    The box I used was called a document box (WalMart $7) and there are three RubberMaid drawer organizers (about $2 apiece). They fit almost perfectly in the box and allow three full rows for the card boxes, which fit loosely but stay in place. I organize using small file cards cut to fit the drawer organizer rows with the names of the set or expansion pack, and also label the boxes with both a top label and a photo of the set box on the expansion set card boxes as an extra touch.

Name:	PA190157xp.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	1177
    In this manner, I can pull out the planes to use along with their respective decks quickly. In the background, you can see the clear blue plastic envelope I had to use for the bombers as they are too big to fit in the box with their sleeves (yes, I found sleeves to fit them all!). If your cards aren't sleeved, this works even better as the cards fit in the regular size deck boxes, and the bombers actually just fit besides the boxes in the organizer rows.

Name:	PA190159xp.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	1179
    Finally, the box lid fits fine if you don't use the oversize card boxes (for sleeved cards). If you use sleeves as I do, then you need to provide a small spacer in the corners of the document box lid. This is very easy to do as I just used a couple of small pieces of stiff felt like you use to stick to the bottom of lamps or whatever to protect table surfaces. I had them on hand but they are a couple of dollars at the hardware of your choice. Needless to say, I'm really happy with this solution as it keeps everything together in a fairly small box (compared to the set boxes), it's very quick and easy to get the right decks for your planes, and only cost me about $15 and a bit of handiwork. I know you are wondering if I use the miniatures and, yes, I do. They are stored in a CD storage chest in my office and pulled out when needed. I'm waiting for the foam solution so I can get my cabinet back!
    This is my first post of this magnitude, so I'm hoping that the pictures all come through OK. Enjoy!

Skystalker -- that is a really elegant solution; nice work!

I was going to post pictures of my Plano boxes that I use to organize all the decks not associated with a miniature, but now...

Cheers!

A very neat solution to a seemingly growing problem. What I like the most is the easy recognition system for the decks.
    Rob.

James......thanks for the comments and your fine work with Outrider on the foam trays. They look great and once they are available, I'll be able to get the miniatures out of my CD cabinet! :-) Now that I have compacted all the game and expansion set boxes, it'll be nice to get all those mini boxes stored away somewhere else as well.

Brilliant site Larry, Great find.
    John

The nice thing about the card boxes that are posted on Yahoo is that they have the WOW logos, background, etc. all there for you already. Basically, all you do is print them to heavy cardstock, cut out, score using the back of your blade on the fold lines, and glue the tabs where indicated....and they come out looking great!

Quote Originally Posted by skystalker View Post
    The nice thing about the card boxes that are posted on Yahoo is that they have the WOW logos, background, etc. all there for you already. Basically, all you do is print them to heavy cardstock, cut out, score using the back of your blade on the fold lines, and glue the tabs where indicated....and they come out looking great!
    Skystalker, would be be able to post the link to the yahoo sight where the card boxes are posted?

There's a yahoo group called WoW_nexus that has files that can be found here:

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/wow_nexus

You have to sign in to Yahoo to get there.
    Last edited by tuladin; 10-23-2010 at 08:59.

I too use the tuck boxes from WoW_nexus. They work great for keeping the decks separate. If your pretty good working in a graphics program you can modify them to hold the double A damage set from the deluxe set. (If you don’t have the skill, or time, PM me and I’ll e-mail a .pdf of that box to you.)

I also picked up a carrying box called a “Grab ‘n Go” from Jo-Ann Fabric and Crafts. It holds three trays and has a separate storage area in the lid (the balloon from “Balloon Busters fits fine there as well as the “Watch Your Back” box). I replaced one of the two larger trays with the Plano 3 ˝ inch tall with four rows box (3730) just the right width for the cards in the tuck boxes (A tight fit in the middle section.) The third box is only 2 inches tall but works great for all the little markers. [The box is kind of ugly – lime green and purple with golden yellow hinges but works great!]

I’ve also got some of the sleeves mentioned but don’t use them due to the extra thickness added to the decks (besides the sleeves added just enough width that the cards wont fit in my current tuck boxes.)

Found this web site that lets you design your owb tuck box's, this way you can put whatever photo/graphic you want to make it "YOURS!" which i wish i had when i was playing other collector card games in the past..... <lesson learned, never leave a table when a game is going on!> = http://www.eeor.com/boxes/

I wish I could find pages to hold these off-size cards... I like boxes for my decks, but plane cards I'd like to have 'em all in a nice, neat at-one-glance "Who's Who".
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    I wish I could find pages to hold these off-size cards... I like boxes for my decks, but plane cards I'd like to have 'em all in a nice, neat at-one-glance "Who's Who".
    with this site you can make a tuck box ANY SIZE you want. give it a try!

That's a BOX, though... I was thinking a clear-plastic page to go into a notebook like baseball and Pokemon card-collectors have used for decades.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Similar Missions

1. Anybody Use One Card?
    By KirkH in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 06-08-2016, 08:49
  2. Models to expand the deluxe box
    By graydebowen in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-16-2011, 18:28
  3. Playing without buying a box?
    By Seiseki in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-01-2010, 06:02
  4. storage box for minis
    By Colmanspig in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-29-2010, 12:44
  5. Repaint Contest - Win a Wings of War or Dawn of War box set!
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Past Contests
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 12-02-2009, 08:30