Ares Games

Thread: Hello and greetings from a new member

mickeytheone

Default Hello and greetings from a new member

Hi everyone!

My username is mickeytheone, though perhaps I should have borrowed from P.G Wodehouse and given myself the title 'The Oldest Member', since I reach my 83rd Birthday at the end of August. Don't tell me I'm not the oldest member! I hail from Tyneside in England, but live near Birmingham. The username recollects a nickname from schooldays.

Haven't played any wargames for the past 30 years, but was a keen fan as my son grew up and we had many great games together, mostly ECW and WW2. How I wish WoW or WoG had been available then, but we had a lot of fun with the board game 'Richtofens' War.'

A little time ago I decided to start wargaming again, so recently have been painting miniatures and gathering terrain for the Dark Ages game 'Saga', and am awaiting delivery of Wings of Glory WW1 planes, accessories and mats. I intend to fight as the RFC at the time of 'Bloody April' in 1917 using the clever Solo Rules of Richard Bradley (a fellow Tynesider, I note) - and as the Saxons against the dreaded Vikings in their raids on Northumbria circa 850 AD, incidentally.
    I hope to tempt my son back to the wargaming fold, and initiate his 10 year old son in the gentle art.

I wish you all happy flying and safe landing,

mickeytheone

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Thomas!

Welcome from Cape Cod and back to gaming.

Welcome from Germany, Thomas! Its a good place to stay here - enjoy!

Thumbs up

G'day Thomas & welcome to the 'drome on behalf of the pilots who fly in NSW down in Australia.

Great to welcome someone who is older than I am.

Always remember "Age shall not weary wargamers" plus it keeps the grey matter active.
    I bet you will really enjoy the WoG experience & expect you will convert your son & grandson to the Game.
    Look forward to hearing of your progress.

Welcome from the far side of the colonies, Thomas!

I may be called "OldGuy59", but I'm obviously not the oldest. On a lot of the First Person Shooter sites, I was in the running. So, I logged into this forum with that name, and found out I'm around average at 55. I hope to be playing and sharing for years.

Mike
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Welcome to the Drome Thomas! Browse around and enjoy mate.

Welcome to the aerodrome Thomas, I'm moving house next month to Wellington near Telford, so if possible we could arrange a game once we're settled in, I play mainly for the dastardly Hun, also you could pop along with your Son & Grandson to the wargames show in Derby, there you'll meet fellow enthusiasts of the game

Welcome to the 'Drome Thomas from the North East.
    Looks like you have a good recruiting scheme going on there

Thomas welcome from the UK North Squadron. You can fly with the Geordie boys any day. We have a gathering in September at Doncaster for a weekend of WW1 and WW2 wings of glory. If you're available pop along for both or one of the two days. Hopefully you will have your own flight of pilots with you too.

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

welcome to the aerodrome micky!!!! i look forward to seeing your custom painted aircraft!!

Hi Thomas, welcome from Essex.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Welcome Thomas, from Bristol, see you down the mess for a natter.

Hi Thomas.
    Let me now formally welcome you to the Drome on behalf of the Squadrons based here in the U.K.
    I'm sure you will find a lot of interesting material here.
    Did you get my Wingman request O.K. or did it just get lost in the ether like so many of these electronic messages do?
    Fly safe.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Welcome to the 'drome Thomas from a temporarily sunny East Sussex this morning - and welcome back to war gaming - I'm sure your grandson will enjoy blowing both you and his dad out of the sky !

Hello Thomas - and welcome to the 'drome from here in a rather overcast Tunbridge Wells.

Speaking as a Breton (and I will be playing another forum member's Vikings or Normans in a couple of weeks at the club) you'll have great fun with the SAGA rules - as you might tell from my choice of warband I am a "throw pointy sticks and run away from nasty hand-to-hand" type of player

Welcome to the drome Thomas,
    If you do get a chance to visit Derby you are sure to have a blast as will your family.
    I took my 12 yr old daughter last year, she loved it so much she insisted her sister and mother accompanied us the second day.
    much fun had by all.
    And your grandson will shoot you down with monotonous regularity

Welcome Thomas, from Middlesex Flight!

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Thomas, from here near Norwich.

Welcome from Burton on Trent

Happy flying ...... and crashing

Rich

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Thomas.

Hi Thomas and greetings from the Great Southwest US. Hope your son joins you again in some gaming. Not much better than sitting across the table from your son blowin' stuff up.

Similar Missions

1. New Member
    By Ant in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 04-30-2014, 02:18
  2. 2013 Origins member's tribute to 2014 member one
    By Nightbomber in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-07-2014, 08:37