Ares Games

Thread: fallen ace

Default fallen ace

Paging through the NYtimes today as I'm wont to do and came across this in the obituaries:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/26/wo...ref=obituaries

Marcel Albert, French ace flying the Yak-1 on the Eastern front in WWII and Hero of the Soviet Union. Marcel Albert's squadron-mate Albert Durand is featured in the WWII Fire from the Sky box, and upcoming minis set.

It was only last week that bag-piper Bill Millen also passed (remember the piper on the beach in The Longest Day). Sad to see these brave men, and links with our history, pass away, so I figured I'd post this to offer a salute.

It's sad to see the WWII vets becoming fewer and fewer. My dad had some great stories of his experiences during the war but like a lot of vets he did not talk about them until later in his life.

Hanomag

Indeed. My grandfather served in the PTO but he's never talked about it. I have a picture of him and MacArthur, but hes never said anything about it.

A good friend my mine's dad served in Europe and kinda followed the band of brother. They covered the flank of the 101st AB. He had some cool stories.

-H

I thank them that have served and those who are active duty now. Salute!

Tom

Here! Here!

A sad anniversary day like today can make you think of all the dangers in the world, and those who protect us from them.

My uncle is the last of five brothers that served in WWII, two didn't come home. He only started talking about it the last few years. He was ETO B-17 radio operator, shotdown on his 6th mission, spent the rest of the war as a guest of the Luftwaffe. If you watch the Memphis Belle documentary, you will see his plane in the take-off sequence, Hell-No-Gal.

My daughter has completed one tour of Iraq and is enjoying the rain in Germany right now. Service in my family jumps one generation, I had medical issues when I was younger, thank god she didn't have those passed down to her.

Thanks to ALL who serve, past, present and future.

Henry

Similar Missions

1. Ace skills
    By Gaz67 in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-04-2012, 07:19
  2. Ace Pets' Names.
    By Aero825 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 04-27-2011, 14:53
  3. Ace Cards
    By Belis4rius in forum Hobby Room