Ares Games

Thread: Observation Balloon Colours

Default Observation Balloon Colours

I have been thinking about repainting my Nexus balloons for some time but have yet to get round to it. I was idly looking for some info on this subject when I came across this from Dan-San on the other aerodrome site:

"The German Parsevals-Sigsfeld Drachen (Dragons) were yellow as were the French copy of the Drachen. The British copy were camouflaged in greens and browns.
    The French Caquot Typ.M and Typ. R were yellow. The British Type M and Type R were camouflaged in olive green. The American made were camouflaged in Olive Green. The German AE was camouflaged olive-brownish green. Late production had light blue bellies.
    The balloon fabric was very fine woven cotton fabric coated with liquid rubber by the Allies and an ersatz rubber liquid then colored in the final rubber coating. It was referred to Balloon Fabric and still is today. (At least to 1988 when I retired. Today it is used for sails on ship models.)
    Germany, Belgium Drachens at the beginning of the war flew their National Flags for identification on the Balloon Cable Bridle. Around October 1914 Germany painted a straight sided cross on both sides of the envelope. About May-June 1915 France painted the French Cockade on the sides of the envelope. The RFC/RAF never marked their balloons. The USA painted the red, blue white cockade on the sides of the envelope.
    Part I of Gasbags,Dragons and Elephants will be in Issue No.204, and Part II will be in No 205 of WW1 Aero. There are photos and color illustrations in booth issues."
    Dan-San 2010

Clearly this is a snapshot of his full article and no where near complete but it's interesting thing to me was he didn't mention grey amongst the colours given - does anyone out there have any further info on the colours used, or, has seen the full article ?

Another helpful find packed with balloon info can be found here

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

I haven't found anything other than what you did. I've just made 2 balloons for scenario4 so I can fly 3 and don't know what color to paint them. I only have the brown one and never liked the color, was going to repaint it but can't yet find info on true colors other than Dan-San.

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    The Germans did some in lozenge : )
    Ok, who makes that decal?

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    ... I only have the brown one and never liked the color, was going to repaint it but can't yet find info on true colors other than Dan-San.
    I'm in the same position Pete but I read they used Aniline dyes in the process and one of the earliest Aniline dyes was Bismark Brown !

My madness has no boundaries . . .

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...lozenge+blimps

I am looking for the source photos I used . . .

Last edited by clipper1801; 08-08-2014 at 10:33.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I'm in the same position Pete but I read they used Aniline dyes in the process and one of the earliest Aniline dyes was Bismark Brown !
    Thanks for that Dave. I guess I'll stick with the brown. Lucky for me as I just painted the first coat of dark brown last night.

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    My madness has no boundaries . . .

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...lozenge+blimps

I am looking for the source photos I used . . .

FANTASTIC! Ok, gotta make one of these.

On the top photo just to the left of the Maltese cross, is that the altitude marker?

I found this...

http://www.westernfrontassociation.c...-bal-west.html

Due to paucity of suitable dyes, the balloons were usually coloured yellow or grey with chrome or aniline dyes.

An old postcard I came across a while ago, it drives you slightly insane painting it though!

Ian

Similar Missions

1. A Paper Observation Balloon
    By Blackronin in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-06-2012, 05:23
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-25-2011, 23:27
  3. Scored a new observation balloon.
    By pflanzer in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-25-2011, 17:49