Page 77 of 77 FirstFirst ... 276768697071727374757677
Results 3,801 to 3,824 of 3824

Thread: 100 Years Ago Today

Some of the unbelievable stats of this thread:
    100 Years Ago Today
    Started by Hedeby, 08-03-2014 14:30
    19 Deleted Post(s) 9986 Attachment(s)
    Replies: 3,799
    Views: 1,290,582 (Can you believe this?)
    See you on the Dark Side......

It is a fantastic piece of work, that all involved can be proud of.

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Unbelievable numbers.... really proud, and gobsmacked by the viewer numbers ... 1.3 MILLION incredible... didn’t foresee that when I was sitting in the hotel bar in New York back in 2014

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Unbelievable numbers.... really proud, and gobsmacked by the viewer numbers ... 1.3 MILLION incredible... didn’t foresee that when I was sitting in the hotel bar in New York back in 2014
    Chris, Whatever you were drinking, have another on me

The work Chris and Neil put into this whole thread is so momentous, so full of really useful and interesting reference material, quite apart from anything else, that it really aught to have a prominent, permanently and easily accessible, place on this forum. Home page perhaps, or better still its very own place on the "Forum" page. Somewhere where a future generation of 1.3 million viewers can browse at their leisure.
    Hat remains off to you gentlemen.

I thoroughly support this suggestion.

Done.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Brilliant Air Vice Marshall. That's what I like - rapid and decisive response Many thanks.

I must add that I was the 3rd of the 3 musketeers, Chris started the post, joined by Rob then I joined to take up some of the slack. So please include Rob in the accolades. We were ably supported by many others too.

Neil

Rob included . My thanks to all three of you Apologies Rob - I should have remembered, but the little grey cells seem to be disappearing at a horribly rapid rate

Done.
    Rob.
    Aah yes, I see what you meant, Rob i.e. "Already Done"! But that's on the UK site. I had more of a "main Forum page" in mind, when I made that post. Simply a far more prominent position. Perhaps it is too difficult to move or maybe it is thought that most newcomers would eventually visit the UK thread anyway. Only a suggestion

Didn't think of it at the time as I never thought it would grow into the behemoth it did...

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Didn't think of it at the time as I never thought it would grow into the behemoth it did...
    Mighty oaks and redwoods start as seedlings.

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

When we began the thread it was only intended for the UK pilots Mike.
    I do not feel inclined to move it as we will get too many stickys in the main Forums if we are not careful and that then defeats the object of having them. I think in this case we will let sleeping dogs lie.
    Rob.

Just for your interest the name I devised for it came from this news sheet.Name:  440px-The_Wipers_Times_1916-02-12_p1.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  80.2 KB

The Wipers Times was a trench magazine that was published by British soldiers fighting in the Ypres Salient during the First World War.

In early 1916, the 12th Battalion, Sherwood Foresters stationed in the front line at Ypres, Belgium, came across an abandoned printing press. A sergeant who had been a printer in peacetime salvaged it and printed a sample page. The paper itself was named after Tommy slang pronunciation of Ypres.

Publication history

Under its initial title The Wipers Times and Salient News, the first issue was published on 12 February 1916, with a circulation of one hundred copies. It was followed by another 22 issues, mostly consisting of 12 pages each.

As you can see despite our issues only comprising one page, we produced many more issues than the original, and our circulation was also considerably more!

While the size and the layout of the real magazine remained consistent, its main title changed many times. Previous titles remained listed in the subtitle in chronological order, for instance: The B.E.F. Times: with which are incorporated The Wipers Times, The "New Church" Times, The Kemmel Times & The Somme-Times.

I think in this case we will let sleeping dogs lie.
    Fair comment Rob, understood

Just for your interest
    and many thanks for that gem too, Rob. I was vaguely aware of the Wipers Times, but not of its' origins. I can't but help wondering if my maternal grandfather ever read a copy. I believe he was gassed during one of the Ypres battles, sent home to Blighty to recover, and ended up being posted to Macedonia. Probably the reason he survived.
    Last edited by mikeemagnus; 05-11-2023 at 03:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Just for your interest the name I devised for it came from this news sheet.Name:  440px-The_Wipers_Times_1916-02-12_p1.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  80.2 KB

The Wipers Times was a trench magazine that was published by British soldiers fighting in the Ypres Salient during the First World War.

In early 1916, the 12th Battalion, Sherwood Foresters stationed in the front line at Ypres, Belgium, came across an abandoned printing press. A sergeant who had been a printer in peacetime salvaged it and printed a sample page. The paper itself was named after Tommy slang pronunciation of Ypres.

Publication history

Under its initial title The Wipers Times and Salient News, the first issue was published on 12 February 1916, with a circulation of one hundred copies. It was followed by another 22 issues, mostly consisting of 12 pages each.

As you can see despite our issues only comprising one page, we produced many more issues than the original, and our circulation was also considerably more!

While the size and the layout of the real magazine remained consistent, its main title changed many times. Previous titles remained listed in the subtitle in chronological order, for instance: The B.E.F. Times: with which are incorporated The Wipers Times, The "New Church" Times, The Kemmel Times & The Somme-Times.
    Very interesting bit of history. I'm impressed that a few copies of this "trench magazine" have survived to this day.

Saw the brilliant play based on this a few years ago, don't know if it is still doing the rounds.

Neil

Name:  wipers times.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  35.8 KB

It is also a pretty decent movie (for those who may not have known).

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2763790/

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Fair comment Rob, understood

and many thanks for that gem too, Rob. I was vaguely aware of the Wipers Times, but not of its' origins. I can't but help wondering if my maternal grandfather ever read a copy. I believe he was gassed during one of the Ypres battles, sent home to Blighty to recover, and ended up being posted to Macedonia. Probably the reason he survived.
    Whilst I can't answer for your grandfather Mike I do know that my Great Uncle read its sister paper. This is what I wrote in post 3786.

Whilst clearing my late cousin's flat ready for sale today, I came across two copies of our sister new sheet.

The Balkan News for the dates of Sunday March the 25th 1917 and Saturday August the 4th of the same year plus her father's dog tags. He was stationed out there in the Royal Army Medical Corps.

Name:  IMG_6967.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  186.3 KB

Here is a photo of my Great Uncle on the right of the photo as you view it.

Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 05-11-2023 at 11:08.

Thanks for posting Rob. It helps putting a face to these times, literally.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Sébastien
    Sorties Flown

Attachment 257883

10th November 1918

Western Front

Air War

General Headquarters, November 11th.

“On November 10th our squadrons continued their work in fine weather, actively co-operating in the general advance and vigorously bombing the enemy's troops and transport. Over 2,000 photographs were taken and a great deal of valuable information was brought in by our reconnaissance machines. More than 19 tons of bombs were dropped during the day. The enemy did not show great activity in the air. In air fighting 16 hostile machines were shot down and one was driven down out of control. In addition, two German machines, standing on an aerodrome were destroyed by bombs dropped from a low altitude. Nine of our machines are missing. At night our bombing operations were continued. Louvain, Namur, Charleroi and many other important railway centres were attacked with excellent results. In one case an ammunition train was blown up and fires and explosions were caused on the sidings in which it was standing. In all over 20 tons of bombs were dropped. All our machines have returned.”

Headquarters R.A.F., Independent Force, November 10th.

RAF Communiqué No 32:

Weather: Fine.

Seventy-five reconnaissances, 89 contact and country-attack patrols.

One hostile battery neutralized with aeroplane observation, 44 zone calls sent.

Twenty-six tons of bombs dropped by night and 18˝ tons by day.

Casualties:

Lieut G E Dowler (Kia), 46 Sqn, Camel C8391 - took off 09:00/10:00 then collided in air with Camel F6285 over 'Sh57D8B78' during low bombing, the map reference makes no sense as it would place the location west of 46 Sqn's aerodrome at Busigny [Sh57b.V.16]

2nd-Lieut W G Coulthurst (Kia), 46 Sqn, Camel F6285 - took off 09:05/10:05 then collided in air with Camel F6285 over 'Sh57D8B78' during low bombing, the map reference makes no sense as it would place the location west of 46 Sqn's aerodrome at Busigny [Sh57b.V.16]

Attachment 257891 Armistice Countdown 1 day

Better start on tomorrow's now - could be a big one....
    Newcomer among you. From Belgium, native of the Municipality of Sivry-Rance (in Hainaut) of which Montbliart village is a part.
    If you authorize me, I am able to provide you with some precise information on the location of the loss of the 2 Sopwith Camels of the 46th Sqn RFC-RAF, of Second Lieutenant G.E DOWLER and Second Lieutenant W.G COULTHURST. By sharing with you an aerial view (Google Earth) augmented with specific points.Name:  Carte crash des 2 Sopwith Camel's.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  90.3 KB

Excuse my bad English, because I speak French.
    The purpose of my visit is to find help (documentation, photographs of Busigny Base "Department North-France", of the 46th Sqn, possibly photographs of the two aviators and their devices). Because I intend to write a short book on the two 2nd Lt: Dowler and Coulthurst, with a view to having a memorial erected near the site of their accident.

With all my apologies for the inconvenience.
    Sébastien.

Glad to hear from you Sébastien. I'm sure that some of our pilots will be able to help you with this question.

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Cba View Post
    The purpose of my visit is to find help (documentation, photographs of Busigny Base "Department North-France", of the 46th Sqn, possibly photographs of the two aviators and their devices). Because I intend to write a short book on the two 2nd Lt: Dowler and Coulthurst, with a view to having a memorial erected near the site of their accident.
    A worthy project. And by the way, (welcoming head bobs) from the lizard.

Page 77 of 77 FirstFirst ... 276768697071727374757677

Similar Missions

1. 100 up today.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-23-2018, 01:05
  2. 68 years ago today - A Warning to New York
    By Naharaht in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-07-2015, 09:54
  3. 100 years ago today.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Officer's Club