Page 76 of 76 FirstFirst ... 266667686970717273747576
Results 3,751 to 3,787 of 3787

Thread: 100 Years Ago Today

  1. #3751


    Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Does anyone know why "Huzzah" was replaced with "Hooray"?

  2. #3752


    Must have been some Henry or other.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

  3. #3753


    Incidentally Neil, from the Citation you have produced i take it that your one from Doncaster weekend and tour medal have not yet reached you.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

  4. #3754


    Quote Originally Posted by andron234 View Post
    Does anyone know why "Huzzah" was replaced with "Hooray"?
    This might give a pointer ?

    "He is wise who watches"

  5. #3755


    Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Congratulations Neil - the war for you is over !
    Thankyou for all your contributions to this project, outstanding effort

    "He is wise who watches"

  6. #3756


    I see that the circulation has flashed through the 310,000 mark sometime in the last 24hrs.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

  7. #3757


    Woo hoo - thanks to all of our loyal readers

    Never knowingly under gunned !

  8. #3758


    Name:  Sniper 1.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  49.8 KB

    8th November 1918

    I wanted to start by saying a massive thank you to Neil for being my main wingman over the past 4 years. 3 more days mate and we will have completed our mission. Bit of a quiet one today...

    Captain Herbert George Flaxman Spurell (Royal Army Medical Corps attached Royal Air Force and Egyptian Expeditionary Force) dies of pneumonia at Alexandria, Egypt at age 41. He is a biologist, physician and author, the only son of the architect Herbert Spurrell and nephew of the archaeologist Flaxman Charles John Spurrell. He discovered and classified fish, reptiles and frogs form the Gold Coast and South America and was a Fellow of the Zoologoical Society. In addition to writing a number of scientific works he also wrote fiction.

    Name:  8.1.PNG
Views: 119
Size:  75.6 KB

    Germans retire from Hermann position (Oudenarde-Tournai-Conde). BEF begins advance to Armistice Line (18,000 PoWs taken since November 1). US Second and First Armies and 4 French Armies begin final advance.
    Sambre: British 32nd Division (Fourth Army) captures Avesnes.
    Scheldt: Germans begin withdrawing opposite BEF Fifth Army at 0200 hours. British patrols soon discover abandoned German bridgehead west of Antoing-Tournai, British quickly reach western bank from Bruyelle to Froyennes and cross river.

    Name:  8.2.PNG
Views: 119
Size:  116.6 KB

    Polish war hero Józef Piłsudski and fellow colleague Colonel Kazimierz Sosnkowski were released from prison in Magdeburg, Germany after three months for leading a mutiny in July 1917 known as the Oath Crisis.

    The Oath crisis (Polish: Kryzys przysięgowy) was a World War I political conflict between the Imperial German Army command and the Józef Piłsudski-led Polish Legions.

    Initially supporting the Central Powers against Imperial Russia, Piłsudski hoped for the defeat of one of the partitioning powers—Russia—with the help of the other two partitioning states, Austria-Hungary and Germany. However, after the Russian defeat in 1917 it became clear that the Central Powers were in no position to guarantee the independence of Poland. Despite the Act of November 5th of 1916 and the creation of Kingdom of Poland, it was apparent that the newly created state would be little more than a puppet buffer-state for Germany, a part of its Mitteleuropa plan.

    At this point, Piłsudski decided to switch allegiances to gain the support of the Entente, particularly France and the United Kingdom, for the cause of Polish independence. A good pretext appeared in July 1917, when the Central Powers demanded that the soldiers of the Polish Legions swear allegiance and obedience to the Emperor Wilhelm II of Germany. Persuaded by Piłsudski, the majority of the soldiers of the 1st and 3rd Brigades of the Legions declined to take the oath. In the end, soldiers who were citizens of Austria-Hungary (roughly 3,000) were then forcibly drafted into the Austro-Hungarian Army or the Polnische Wehrmacht, demoted to the rank of private and sent to the Italian Front, while those born in other parts of occupied Poland were interned in prisoner of war camps in Szczypiorno and Beniaminów. Approximately 7,500 soldiers joined the rump Polish Auxiliary Corps. Piłsudski himself and his Chief of Staff Kazimierz Sosnkowski were arrested on 22 July 1917 and interned in the German fortress of Magdeburg.

    German Revolution – Pressure strengthened against Kaiser Wilhelm II to abdicate the throne as the German Empire began to dissolve into free states:
    The People's State of Bavaria was established in the dissolving German Empire with Kurt Eisner as Minister-President.
    Ernest Augustus, Duke of Brunswick, abdicated the throne, allowing the Free State of Brunswick to be established within the dissolving German Empire

    Name:  8.3.PNG
Views: 116
Size:  165.3 KB


    Poland: Leaders tells Austria they has assumed sovereignty over Galicia.

    France: German Armistice delegates reach Foch’s Headquarter.
    Germany: Prince Max’s proclamation to Germans abroad. King of Wuerttemberg and Duke of Brunswick abdicate. Pilsudski released from Magdeburg fortress to Berlin, arrives Warsaw on November 10.
    USA: Wilson cables congratulations to new governments at Vienna, Budapest and Prague.
    Britain: Blockade Minister warns enemy ships’ transfer will not be recognized.


    Germany: Revolutionaries seize 11 major cities. Munich crowd demand Kaiser’s abdication. Troops occupy Berlin essential services. Bavarian battalions reach Brenner Pass to guard it vs Allies but go home on November 10. Belgian Brussels Burgomaster Adolphe Max escapes from Goslar.
    Austria: War Minister and Emperor order that new loyalty oath replaces imperial one.
    Britain: Final wartime import restrictions (first relaxation on November 14).


    General Headquarters, November 9th.

    “On November 8th low clouds and continuous rain again greatly curtailed operations. Some valuable low reconnaissance work was completed, the enemy's movements being observed and reported. Nearly three-quarters of a ton of bombs were dropped on the enemy's troops and transport. No hostile machines were seen during the day. One of our machines is missing. At night the weather improved slightly, and some of our night-flying machines were able to attack important railway centres, dropping over 11½ tons of bombs with good effect. All these machines have returned.”

    RAF Communiqué No 32:

    Weather: Low clouds, some rain.

    Twenty reconnaissances, 20 contact and counter-attack patrols.
    Four hostile batteries engaged for destruction with aeroplane observation, 13 zone calls sent.
    Three quarters of a ton of bombs dropped.

    Enemy Aircraft:



    2nd-Lieut J Burt (Kia), 70 Sqn, Camel E7161 - force landed Sh29.U.24 [south-west of Bossuyt] 12:10/13:10 on line patrol

    Lieut H W Russell DFC (Kia), 80 Sqn, Camel F6261 - took off 12:30/13:30 and last seen attacking enemy transport from 500 feet on patrol

    Sergt-Mech P J Palmer (Ok), 84 Sqn, SE5a E5775 - took off 14:15/15:15 then longeron shot through by enemy gunfire from ground on offensive patrol Givry – Fourmies 15:30/16:30

    On a limited day of action the following claims were made

    Name:  8.4.PNG
Views: 116
Size:  2.5 KB

    Despite the lack of action another 39 members of the RAF were lost today (the vast majority not in flying realted incidents) including...

    Name:  8.5.PNG
Views: 116
Size:  23.4 KBName:  8.6.PNG
Views: 116
Size:  24.8 KBName:  8.7.PNG
Views: 117
Size:  25.0 KB

    Name:  images.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  8.3 KB Armistice Countdown 3 days
    Last edited by Hedeby; 11-09-2018 at 09:46.

    Never knowingly under gunned !

  9. #3759


    Name:  Sniper 1.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  49.8 KB

    9th November 1918

    The last day of the Great War with over a thousand fatalities.

    The battleship HMS Britannia is torpedoed off Cape Trafalgar by the German U boat UB-50 while on her approach to Gibraltar. UB-50 fires three torpedoes, two of which strike the battleship causing her to sink in just over three hours after attempts by the destroyer HMS Rocksand and the sloop HMS Coreopsis to tow her to Gibraltar. There are over fifty killed including

    Surgeon Lieutenant Dundas Simpson Macknight (Royal Navy) killed at age 43. He is the son of the Reverend John Macknight.
    Bugler James Peel (Royal Marine Artillery) is killed at age 15.

    HMS Britannia was a King Edward VII-class pre-dreadnought battleship of the Royal Navy. She was named after Britannia, the Latin name of Great Britain under Roman rule. After commissioning in September 1906, she served briefly with the Atlantic and Channel Fleets before joining the Home Fleet. In 1912, she, along with her sister ships of the King Edward VII class, was assigned to the 3rd Battle Squadron but in June 1913, she returned to duties with the Home Fleet. When the First World War broke out, Britannia was transferred back to the 3rd Battle Squadron, which was part of the Grand Fleet. In 1916, she was attached to the 2nd Detached Squadron, then serving in the Adriatic Sea. After a refit in 1917, she conducted patrol and convoy escort duties in the Atlantic. On 9 November 1918, just two days before the end of the war, she was torpedoed by a German submarine off Cape Trafalgar and sank with the loss of 50 men.

    Although Britannia and her seven sister ships of the King Edward VII class were a direct descendant of the Majestic class, they were also the first class to make a significant departure from the Majestic design, displacing about 1,000 tons more and mounting for the first time an intermediate battery of four 9.2-inch (234-mm) guns in addition to the standard outfit of 6-inch (152-mm) guns. The 9.2-inch was a quick-firing gun like the 6-inch, and its heavier shell made it a formidable weapon by the standards of the day when Britannia and her sisters were designed; it was adopted out of concerns that British battleships were undergunned for their displacement and were becoming outgunned by foreign battleships that had begun to mount 8-inch (203-mm) intermediate batteries. The four 9.2-inch were mounted in single turrets abreast the foremast and mainmast, and Britannia thus could bring two of them to bear on either broadside. Even then, Britannia and her sisters were criticised for not having a uniform secondary battery of 9.2-inch guns, something considered but rejected because of the length of time it would have taken to design the ships with such a radical revision of the secondary armament layout. In the end, it proved impossible to distinguish 12-inch and 9.2-inch shell splashes from one another, making fire control impractical for ships mounting both calibres, although Britannia had fire-control platforms on her fore- and mainmasts rather than the fighting tops of earlier classes.

    Like all British battleships since the Majestic class, the King Edward VII-class ships had four 12-inch (305-mm) guns in two twin turrets (one forward and one aft), although the final three King Edwards, including Britannia, mounted the Mark X 12-inch, a improvement on the Mark IX mounted by the first five King Edwards. Mounting of the 6-inch guns in casemates was abandoned in Britannia and all seven of her sister ships, the 6-inch instead being placed in a central battery amidships protected by 7-inch (178-mm) armoured walls. Otherwise, Britannia's armour was much as in the London-class battleships, although there were various differences in detail from the Londons. Britannia and her sisters were the first British battleships with balanced rudders since the 1870s and were very manoeuvrable, with a tactical diameter of 340 yards (311 m) at 15 knots (27.75 km/h). However, they were difficult to keep on a straight course, and this characteristic led to them being nicknamed "the Wobbly Eight" during their 1914–1916 service in the Grand Fleet. They had a slightly faster roll than previous British battleship classes, but were good gun platforms, although very wet in bad weather.

    Primarily powered by coal, Britannia had oil sprayers installed during her construction, as did all of her sisters except HMS New Zealand, the first time this had been done in British battleships. These allowed steam pressure to be rapidly increased, improving Britannia's acceleration. The eight ships between them were given four different boiler installations for comparative purposes; Britannia's boiler installation is reported both as 12 Babcock & Wilcox and three cylindrical boilers and as 18 Babcock & Wilcox and three cylindrical. during which she made 18.24 knots (33.8 km/h). Britannia was a powerful ship when she was designed, and completely fulfilled the goals set for her at that time. However, she was unlucky in that the years of her design and construction were ones of revolutionary advancement in naval guns, fire control, armour, and propulsion. She joined the fleet in September 1906, but was made obsolete three months later by the completion of the revolutionary battleship HMS Dreadnought in December 1906 and the large numbers of the new dreadnought battleships that commissioned in succeeding years. By 1914, Britannia and her King Edward VII-class sisters were, like all pre-dreadnoughts, so outclassed that they spent much of their 1914–1916 Grand Fleet service steaming at the heads of divisions of the far more valuable dreadnoughts, protecting the dreadnoughts from naval mines by being the first battleships to either sight or strike them.

    Name:  9.1.PNG
Views: 102
Size:  78.9 KB

    Upon the outbreak of the First World War in August 1914, Britannia transferred back to the 3rd Battle Squadron, which was assigned to the Grand Fleet and based at Rosyth. The squadron was used to supplement the Grand Fleet's cruisers on the Northern Patrol. On 2 November 1914, the squadron was detached to reinforce the Channel Fleet and was rebased at Portland. It returned to the Grand Fleet on 13 November 1914. Britannia ran aground in the Firth of Forth at Inchkeith on 26 January 1915, suffering considerable bottom damage, but was refloated after 36 hours and was repaired and refitted at Devonport Dockyard.

    Britannia served in the Grand Fleet until April 1916. During sweeps by the fleet, she and her sister ships often steamed at the heads of divisions of the far more valuable dreadnoughts, where they could protect the dreadnoughts by watching for mines or by being the first to strike them. On 29 April 1916, the 3rd Battle Squadron was rebased at Sheerness, and on 3 May 1916 it was separated from the Grand Fleet, being transferred to the Nore Command. Britannia remained there with the squadron until August 1916, when she began a refit at Portsmouth Dockyard. On completion of her refit in September 1916, Britannia transferred out of the 3rd Battle Squadron for service in the 2nd Detached Squadron, which had been organised in 1915 to reinforce the Italian Navy against the Austro-Hungarian Navy in the Adriatic Sea. She underwent a refit at Gibraltar in February–March 1917, and on its completion was attached to the 9th Cruiser Squadron to serve on the Atlantic Patrol and on convoy escort duty, based mainly at Sierra Leone. She relieved armoured cruiser HMS King Alfred as flagship of the 9th Cruiser Squadron in March 1917 and underwent a refit at Bermuda in May 1917, during which her 6-inch (152-mm) guns were removed and replaced by four 6-inch (152-mm) guns mounted on her shelter deck.

    Name:  9.2.PNG
Views: 102
Size:  71.0 KB

    On the morning of 9 November 1918, under the command of Captain Francis Wade Caulfeild, RN, Britannia was on a voyage in the western entrance to the Strait of Gibraltar when she was torpedoed off Cape Trafalgar by the German submarine UB-50. After the first explosion, the ship listed ten degrees to port. A few minutes later, a second explosion started a fire in a 9.2-inch (234-mm) magazine, which in turn caused a cordite explosion in the magazine. Darkness below decks made it virtually impossible to find the flooding valves for the magazines, and those the crew did find were poorly located and therefore hard to turn, and the resulting failure to properly flood the burning magazine probably doomed the ship. Britannia held her 10-degree list for 2½ hours before sinking, allowing most of the crew to be taken off. Most of the men who were lost were killed by toxic smoke from burning cordite; 50 men died and 80 were injured. In total, 39 officers and 673 men were saved.

    German Revolution – The German Empire formally dissolved :
    Kaiser Wilhelm II handed supreme command of the army to Paul von Hindenburg and fled to the Netherlands the following day, ending 400 years of rule by the House of Hohenzollern over the Kingdom of Prussia and allowing it to become the Free State of Prussia.
    Philipp Scheidemann, leader of the Social Democratic Party of Germany, proclaimed in Berlin on the Reichstag balcony of the establishment of the German Republic.
    Prince Maximilian of Baden resigned as Chancellor of Germany and was succeeded by Friedrich Ebert.

    In order to remain master of the situation, Friedrich Ebert demanded the chancellorship for himself on the afternoon of 9 November, the day of the emperor's abdication.

    The news of the abdication came too late to make any impression on the demonstrators. Nobody heeded the public appeals. More and more demonstrators demanded the total abolition of the monarchy. Karl Liebknecht, just released from prison, had returned to Berlin and re-founded the Spartacist League the previous day. At lunch in the Reichstag, the SPD deputy chairman Philipp Scheidemann learned that Liebknecht planned the proclamation of a socialist republic. Scheidemann did not want to leave the initiative to the Spartacists and without further ado, he stepped out onto a balcony of the Reichstag. From there, he proclaimed a republic before a mass of demonstrating people on his own authority (against Ebert's expressed will). A few hours later, the Berlin newspapers reported that in the Berlin Lustgarten – at probably around the same time — Liebknecht had proclaimed a socialist republic, which he affirmed from a balcony of the Berlin City Palace to an assembled crowd at around 4 pm.

    At that time, Karl Liebknecht's intentions were little known to the public. The Spartacist League's demands of 7 October for a far-reaching restructuring of the economy, the army and the judiciary – among other things by abolishing the death penalty — had not yet been publicised. The biggest bone of contention with the SPD was to be the Spartacists' demand for the establishment of "unalterable political facts" on the ground by social and other measures before the election of a constituent assembly, while the SPD wanted to leave the decision on the future economic system to the assembly.

    Name:  9.3.PNG
Views: 101
Size:  77.6 KB
    Crowds outside the Reichstag on 9 November as the creation of the republic was announced.

    Ebert was faced with a dilemma. The first proclamation he had issued on 9 November was addressed "to the citizens of Germany". Ebert wanted to take the sting out of the revolutionary mood and to meet the demands of the demonstrators for the unity of the labour parties. He offered the USPD participation in the government and was ready to accept Liebknecht as a minister. Liebknecht in turn demanded the control of the workers' councils over the army. As USPD chairman Hugo Haase was in Kiel and the deliberations went on. The USPD deputies were unable to reach a decision that day. Neither the early announcement of the emperor's abdication, Ebert's assumption of the chancellorship, nor Scheidemann's proclamation of the republic were covered by the constitution. These were all revolutionary actions by protagonists who did not want a revolution, but nevertheless took action. However, a real revolutionary action took place the same evening that would later prove to have been in vain.

    Around 8 pm, a group of 100 Revolutionary Stewards from the larger Berlin factories occupied the Reichstag. Led by their spokesmen Richard Müller and Emil Barth, they formed a revolutionary parliament. Most of the participating stewards had already been leaders during the strikes earlier in the year. They did not trust the SPD leadership and had planned a coup for 11 November independently of the sailors' revolt, but were surprised by the revolutionary events since Kiel. In order to snatch the initiative from Ebert, they now decided to announce elections for the following day. On that Sunday, every Berlin factory and every regiment was to elect workers' and soldiers' councils that were then in turn to elect a revolutionary government from members of the two labour parties (SPD and USPD). This Council of the People's Deputies (Rat der Volksbeauftragten) was to execute the resolutions of the revolutionary parliament as the revolutionaries intended to replace Ebert's function as chancellor and president.

    Armistice Developments: The Armistice was the result of a hurried and desperate process. The German delegation headed by Matthias Erzberger crossed the front line in five cars and was escorted for ten hours across the devastated war zone of Northern France, arriving on the morning of 8 November. They were then taken to the secret destination aboard Ferdinand Foch's private train parked in a railway siding in the forest of Compiègne. Foch appeared only twice in the three days of negotiations: on the first day, to ask the German delegation what they wanted, and on the last day, to see to the signatures. The Germans were handed the list of Allied demands and given 72 hours to agree. The German delegation discussed the Allied terms not with Foch, but with other French and Allied officers. The Armistice amounted to complete German demilitarization (see list below), with few promises made by the Allies in return. The naval blockade of Germany was not completely lifted until complete peace terms could be agreed upon.

    Germany: KAISER ‘ABDICATES’, REVOLUTION IN BERLIN as Scheidemann proclaims German Republic from Reichstag, Prince Max becomes Regent (having announced Kaiser’s ‘abdica*tion’) and Ebert becomes Chancellor. General Groener tells Kaiser at Spa Army will not follow him (‘Treason, gentle*men, barefaced treason!’). Saxony declared a Republic. Eisner Prime Minister and Foreign Minister in Bavaria.
    Britain: Lloyd George in Guildhall speech says Germany’s choice immediate surrender or worse fate.
    USA: Wilson directs Hoover to Europe (in London November 23) for food relief.


    Germany: KAISER ‘ABDICATES’ following a final showdown with Hindenburg and Groener at OHL Spa (after 39 division, brigade and regiment commanders give Army’s opinion). Hindenburg offers to resign rather than say that situation both at the front and at home is hopeless. Groener boldly states ‘The Army will march back home under its own generals in good order but not under the leadership of Your Majesty’. Kaiser retorts ‘I require that statement in writing, I want all the commanding generals to state … that the Army no longer stands behind its Supreme Commander. Has it not taken an oath on the colours?’ Groener replies that in this situation oaths lose their meaning.
    Scheldt*: Germans in general retreat on British Second Army front; British take Tournai.
    Sambre*: Guards Division battalion (Third Army) occupies Maubeuge. BEF Fourth Army organizes Maj*or-General Bethell’s mobile force (including 5th Cavalry Brigade and 5 armoured cars) to pursue Germans across Belgian frontier east of Avesnes (*until November 11).
    Aisne: French capture Hirson rail junction.

    Germany – BERLIN REVOLUTION. Prince Max hands Chancellorship to Ebert. Liebknecht Sparticists seize Old Palace and hang red flag. Republic of Hesse declared. Krupp Works at Essen close; Gustav Krupp decides to keep pre-war workers (November 10) and sends 70,000 (including over 30,000 Poles) home with 2 weeks pay and rail tickets (until November 18).
    France: War poet Guillaume Apollinaire died from flu after March 1916 headwound (age 38).
    Austria: Emperor to his advisers ‘I will not abdicate and I will not flee the country’.
    Britain: Lloyd George on Kaiser’s ‘abdication’ ‘Was there ever a more dramatic judgment?’
    Italy: Prime Minister Orlando Rome speech claims ‘it is a Roman victory’.

    Poland: Government formed at Lublin.
    Urals: Czechs at Ekaterinburg proclaim national independence. Kolchak visits and presents new colours to 4 Czech regiments on November 10.
    Violent unrest between ethnic Italians and Croats broke out in Split, Dalmatia (now part of Croatia) after Italian flags were hung in house windows in honor of two French destroyers entering the port, giving the impression citizens were supporting Italy's bid for annexation

    Rhodesia: Captain Spangenberg’s 3 coys take Kasama (100 miles southwest of Abercorn), a little ammo and 20 Boer wagons. 1/4th KAR (Major Hawkins and 750 all ranks) fords river Chambezi guided by Rhodesian settler.

    Germany: Kaiser tells Scheer (at Spa) ‘I no longer have a Navy’. Hipper’s flagship hoists red flag and he goes ashore.
    Eastern Atlantic – Last U-boat sunk: U-34 (sinker of 121 ships of 262,886t since 1915) sunk off Gibraltar by British ex-Q-ship Privet and minelayers. British battleship Britannia sunk (40 men lost to toxic smoke) by coastal submarine UB-50 (Kukat) off Cape Trafalgar, but stays afloat for 3 1/2 hours.

    North Sea: Grand Fleet heavily afflicted by flu, 2 captains die. U-boat Commander Michelsen orders last c.20 loyal U-boats and small craft to home ports.


    General Headquarters, November 10th.

    “On November 9th fine weather enabled our squadrons to maintain great activity along the whole front. A large number of photographs were taken and much valuable reconnaissance work was completed. Our machines continued to harass the columns of the retreating enemy with bombs and machine-gun fire, delaying and disorganising his retreat and returning with useful information. Our bombing squadrons also co-ordinated in the advance by attacking important railway centres with visibly good results. In all over 13 tons of bombs were dropped. Considering the weather, the enemy's activity in the air was not great. In air fighting 12 German machines were shot down and seven were driven down out of control. One German balloon was shot down in flames. Thirteen of our machines are missing.

    “At night our squadrons continued their activity, heavily attacking the important railway junctions of Liege, Louvain, and Charleroi, dropping 26 tons of bombs. Many direct hits were obtained on the permanent way, trains, and station buildings, and several explosions and fires were caused. Two of our machines failed to return.”

    Headquarters R.A.F., Independent Force, November 10th.

    “On the afternoon of the 9th inst. some of our machines, flying through clouds, carried out individual bombing raids on various railway centres some distance over the lines. These raids were very successful, and were without loss to us.”

    RAF Communiqué No 32:

    Weather: Fine.

    Sixty-two reconnaissances, 54 contact and counter-attack patrols.

    Thirty-five zone calls sent.

    Eleven and a-half tons of bombs dropped by night and 13 tons by day.

    A raid was carried out on the station at Enghien and on two aerodromes close by, by Nos 103 and 54 Squadrons and 2nd Squadron, A.F.C., escorted by No 88 Squadron and 4th Squadron, A.F.C. Three 230-lb, 7 112-lb and 107 25-lb bombs were dropped, and no less than twenty direct hits were observed upon trains in the station at Enghien. One train was set on fire and was still burning when the raid left, sheds and buildings catching fire from it. A direct hit was also obtained with a 230-lb bomb on a train in Bassilly and also one in which some troops were entraining. On one aerodrome a hangar was completely destroyed and a machine totally wrecked, while many bombs burst among other machines on the aerodrome. On the other aerodrome a hangar and a machine were also set on fire and destroyed. There was great congestion of troops and transport of all descriptions on the roads, on which bombs were dropped and a large number of rounds fired; lorries were seen to collide, one being set on fire, many destroyed by direct hits and others ditched, while horse transport stampeded in all directions. The escort of No 88 Squadron, meeting with no opposition, came down and joined in the destruction being caused on the ground. In addition to the two machines destroyed on the aerodromes by No 54 Squadron, Major R S Maxwell shot down an enemy two-seater during the course of the raid.

    No 107 Squadron carried out a successful raid on Mariembourg railway junction, dropping 20 112-lb bombs and obtaining several direct hits.

    A raid was also carried out on Namur railway station, 24 112-lb bombs being dropped by No 205 Squadron. Direct hits were seen on the sidings, railway lines and sheds.

    Enemy Aircraft:

    Activity slight.

    2nd-Lieut F W Seed & 2nd-Lieut D E Buckland, 25 Sqn, E.A. destroyed -

    Lieut R J V Pulvertoft & 2nd-Lieut W M Newton, 205 Sqn, Fokker DVII out of control Charleroi -

    Lieut M P MacLeod, 41 Sqn, Fokker DVII out of control Renaix at 09:00/10:00 –

    Capt R Russell & Lieut J E Hermon, Lieut R T O Hawthorne & 2nd-Lieut W M Elvery, Lieut J G Kershaw & Lieut H S Gargett, 2nd-Lieut C Campbell & 2nd-Lieut J T R Wynne, 2nd-Lieut J D Sloss & 2nd-Lieut J D Todd and 2nd-Lieut H N Tiplady & 2nd-Lieut F L P Smith, 108 Sqn, E.A. out of control east of Sotteghem at 09:05/10:05 -

    Lieut D M Murray, 29 Sqn, Fokker DVII out of control east of Audenarde at 09:45/10:45 -
    Lieut F Corbin, 29 Sqn, Fokker DVII crashed Audenarde at 09:45/10:45 - A flight of No 29 Sqn attacked a enemy two-seater and 15 Fokker biplanes near Audenarde. Lt Corbin brought down a Fokker which he attacked at close range
    Lieut E O Amm, 29 Sqn, Fokker DVII out of control south-east of Audenarde at 09:45/10:45 -
    Lieut F Corbin, 29 Sqn, two-seater out of control Audenarde at 10:00/11:00 -
    Lieut H B Oldham, 29 Sqn, Fokker DVII crashed Laethem St Marie at 10:00/11:00 -
    Lieut H B Oldham, 29 Sqn, Fokker DVII out of control Laethem St Marie at 10:00/11:00 -
    Lieut E G Davies, 29 Sqn, Rumpler C in flames north-east of Audenarde at 10:00/11:00 -
    Capt C G Ross and Lieut H Holroyde, 29 Sqn, Fokker DVII out of control Laethem St Marie at 10:00/11:00 -
    Lieut E G Davies, 29 Sqn, Fokker DVII crashed Laethem St Marie at 10:05/11:05 –

    A flight of No 29 Sqn attacked a enemy two-seater and 15 Fokker biplanes near Audenarde. Lieut Davies shot the two-seater down in flames and then one of the Fokkers which was seen to crash

    2nd-Lieut F O McDonald & Sergt A P Pearce, 205 Sqn, Fokker DVII in flames north of Namur at 10:11/11:11 -
    Capt C G Ross and Lieut H Holroyde, 29 Sqn, Fokker DVII crashed Laerne at 10:20/11:20 -
    Lieut C J Sims, 213 Sqn, Balloon in flames north-north-east of Ghent at 10:25/11:25 -
    Lieut D M Murray, 29 Sqn, Fokker DVII out of control Munte at 10:30/11:30 -
    Capt W J Mackenzie, 213 Sqn, Fokker DVII out of control east of Ghent at 10:30/11:30 -
    Lieut H C Smith, 213 Sqn, Fokker DVII destroyed north-east of Ghent at 10:30/11:30 -
    Lieut E O Amm, 29 Sqn, Fokker DVII in flames Laerne - Ledgehem at 10:35/11:35 -
    2nd-Lieut W B Esplin & 2nd-Lieut C H L Needham, 205 Sqn, Fokker DVII out of control Charleroi at 10:35/11:35 -
    Lieut G E Randall & Lieut G V Learmond, 20 Sqn, Fokker DVII destroyed by Randall south-east of Beaumont at 11:30/12:30 -
    Capt H A Van Rynevald, 29 Sqn, Fokker DVII crashed Elene at 13:45/14:45 -
    Capt H A Van Rynevald, 29 Sqn, Fokker DVII out of control Moorlene at 13:45/14:45 -
    Capt M A Newnham, 65 Sqn, Balloon in flames north-east of Gontrode at 13:45/14:45 -
    Capt R Sykes, 201 Sqn, Fokker DVII out of control Bois de Princemaille at 14:45/15:45 -
    Lieut R D Hambrook, 201 Sqn, Fokker DVII out of control north-east of Maubeuge at 14:45/15:45 -
    Lieut F J Stevenson, 79 Sqn, Halberstadt CL crashed ****ele at 14:50/15:50 -
    2nd-Lieut M I Ashley, 201 Sqn, Fokker DVII in flames Bois de Princemaille at 14:50/15:50 -
    Lieut J M Mackay, 201 Sqn, Fokker DVII in flames south-east of MontSqn IFiure at 14:50/15:50 -
    Lieut R D Hambrook, 201 Sqn, Fokker out of control Bois de Pincemaille at 14:50/15:50 -
    Maj R S Maxwell, 54 Sqn, Albatros C crashed Croisette at 14:55/15:55 -
    2nd-Lieut G C Robbins, 54 Sqn, two-seater destroyed Croisette at 15:05/16:05 -
    Lieut L E Bickell, 64 Sqn, Fokker DVII out of control Givry at 15:15/16:15 -
    Lieut A H B Youell, 64 Sqn, Fokker DVII in flames Givry at 15:15/16:15 -
    Capt C W Cudemore, 64 Sqn, Fokker DVII out of control Givry at 15:15/16:15 -
    Lieut W F Blanchfield & 2nd-Lieut T R Lole, 211 Sqn, Fokker DVII destroyed south of Charleroi at 15:15/16:15 -
    Capt G C Mackay, 213 Sqn, Fokker DVII out of control south-east of Ghent at 15:15/16:15 -

    The following claims were recorded

    Name:  9.6.PNG
Views: 113
Size:  14.7 KB

    2nd Lieutenant George Victor Learmond and Lieutenant George Ebben Randall DFC of 20 Squadron RAF flying Bristol Fighter E2429 claimed another victory, they would claim 2 more tomorrow (10th Nov.) which would earn Lt. Randall the DFC

    Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC)
    "Lieut. George Ebben Randall. (FRANCE)
    A brave and resourceful flight commander who has, within the last four months previous to November 11th, led 71 offensive patrols. On 10th November, engaging a superior number of enemy aircraft, he himself shot down two, and the remainder were driven off by his flight. In addition to the foregoing he has four other enemy machines to his credit."

    Name:  9.9.PNG
Views: 106
Size:  636.9 KB

    40 British airmen lost their lives on this day including...

    Name:  9.10.PNG
Views: 103
Size:  51.7 KBName:  9.11.PNG
Views: 104
Size:  46.6 KBName:  6.12.PNG
Views: 104
Size:  42.5 KB

    Captain Tunstill's Men: The Battalion continued their south-westerly march, departing at 8.05am and covering 18 miles, crossing the Piave by bridge at Palazzon and then via Lovadina and Vascon to billets at Lancenigo.

    Name:  9.13.PNG
Views: 102
Size:  136.8 KB

    Name:  images.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  8.3 KB Armistice Countdown 2 days
    Last edited by Hedeby; 11-10-2018 at 04:07.

    Never knowingly under gunned !

  10. #3760


    Sorry Chris but the attachment fairy is at it again

  11. #3761


    Could this also be the final curtain call for the attachment Fairy.

    Name:  b3fef75d69a1b6c59f5c100730597adb.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  8.7 KB

    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

  12. #3762

    Skafloc's Avatar Northern Command Squadron Leader.

    Users Country Flag

    Blog Entries
    Neil (Bullseye)
    Sorties Flown
    Join Date
    Jan 2013


    Where are the attachments, who knocked the typewriter when we played mess Rugby last night...? Come on own up!
    See you on the Dark Side......

  13. #3763


    Thanks for the good Read keep it up a few days more.

  14. #3764


    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Could this also be the final curtain call for the attachment Fairy.

    Name:  b3fef75d69a1b6c59f5c100730597adb.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  8.7 KB

    I doubt it, she seems to plague me every so often.

  15. #3765


    She sends her apologies and pays her own respects....

    Name:  1.1.PNG
Views: 107
Size:  609.7 KB

    Never knowingly under gunned !

  16. #3766


    Name:  Sniper 1.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  49.8 KB

    10th November 1918

    Ongoing Armistice 'discussions'

    There was no question of negotiation. The Germans were able to correct a few impossible demands (for example, the decommissioning of more submarines than their fleet possessed), extended the schedule for the withdrawal and registered their formal protest at the harshness of Allied terms. But they were in no position to refuse to sign. On Sunday 10 November, they were shown newspapers from Paris to inform them that the Kaiser had abdicated. That same day, Ebert instructed Erzberger to sign. The cabinet had earlier received a message from Hindenburg, requesting that the armistice be signed even if the Allied conditions could not be improved on.

    Germany: Kaiser crosses into Holland at Eysdin at about 0700 hours with 70 staff in 11 cars, waits for and reboards imperial train for journey through Liege (Crown Prince follows him on November 12 with 4 staff).
    Rumania: King an*nounces nation has resumed war on Allied side (General Berthelot crosses Danube in Wallachia).
    Czechoslovakia*: Masaryk elected President in Geneva. 2 Hungarian divisions drive 1,100 Czechoslovaks from Slovakia.
    Britain: Mannerheim arrives from Finland at Aberdeen.

    Name:  10.1.PNG
Views: 106
Size:  78.3 KB
    Kaiser Wilhelm II crossing the border into Dutch exile.

    The Council of the People's Deputies was established as the new governing body of Germany, with goals to prepare an armistice with the Allies and prepare for the election of a new National Assembly the following year.[80]
    Liberation of Serbia, Albania and Montenegro – Romania re-entered the war to retake territory lost to Bulgaria, while Allied forces entered Svishtov and Nikopol, Bulgaria.[81]
    The Republic of Ostrów was established in the Polish area of Ostrów Wielkopolski.

    Western Front
    Germany: Chancellor radios Armistice delegation after 1800 hours to sign.
    Sambre: CANADIAN 3rd DIVISION ENTERS MONS (264 Canadian casualties) overcoming diehard MG squads; town cleared of German 62nd Regiment (12th Division) by dawn November 11.
    Meuse: Gouraud’s right wing (French Fourth Army) reaches Mezieres; Germans abandon gun parks, huge store dumps and rolling stock. US First Army assault crosses Meuse.
    Moselle: US Second Army (Bullard), including 92nd Division (Negros; 1,000 casualties), attacks towards Briey Basin (blast furnaces and iron ore workings).
    Lorraine: Mangin gives Legion RMLE its 9th, final and record citation in Army Orders, unit in sight of Metz on November 11.

    Southern Fronts
    Balkans – Allies cross Danube: 2 French battalions at Ruschuk into Rumania (also at Sistova and Nikopol on November 11), Serb First Army crosses unopposed around Belgrade into Hungary.
    Alps: Some German troops cross Austrian frontier into North Tyrol but soon dissolve into desertion and Italians occupy Brenner Pass where Commander of 4th Bavarian Division says he will retire to Germany on November 11.

    Middle East
    Turkey: Sultan appoints Tewfik Pasha (ex-London Ambassador) to form pro-Allied government (Assembly approves on November 18).
    Mesopotamia: Turks evacuate Mosul for Nisibis.

    Battle of Przemyśl – Some 400 Polish reinforcements under command of Julian Stachiewicz arrived at PrzemyślOn November 10 approximately 400 Polish reinforcements from Krakow (the so-called "San Group") with four artillery pieces arrived by train, commanded by Julian Stachiewicz. The armored train Śmiały also accompanied the troops. On November 11 an ultimatum was issued by the Polish leadership in which they demanded that the Ukrainian forces withdraw from Przemyśl, effectively ceding control of the city to the Poles. The ultimatum was rejected, and at noon on November 11 Polish forces unleashed an artillery barrage on the Ukrainian-controlled right bank of the San. This was followed by Polish forces using the bridges across the river—which the Ukrainians had failed to blow up—to assault the city. By that evening the Poles had taken over the main railway station, the market square and most of the town itself. By November 12 all Ukrainian forces had either withdrawn from or had been driven out of the city.

    The successful takeover of Przemyśl enabled the Poles to send reinforcements to the besieged Lviv—which up to that time was virtually cut off from central Poland—via the Przemyśl-Lviv railway line, enabling them to eventually free the city.

    Sea War

    North Sea: Paddle minesweeper HMS Ascot (53 crew lost) sunk by coastal submarine UB-67 off Northeast England.
    Britain: Naval staff discuss desirability of abolishing the submarine.
    Western Mediterranean: Newly arrived Brazilian Squadron fires in error on US submarine chasers during anti-submarine operation.

    The last ship sunk in the war is the paddle minesweeper Ascot when she is torpedoed by UB-67 off the Faroe Islands in the North Sea. Fifty-three are killed
    or alternatively...She was torpedoed by UB-67 off the Farne Islands.

    She lies at a depth of 60 metres, at WikiMiniAtlas55°37′9.24″N 001°29′8.60″WCoordinates: 55°37′9.24″N 001°29′8.60″W.

    The Racecourse-class minesweepers were 32 ships delivered to the Royal Navy during the First World War. They were built to two related designs as paddlewheel coastal minesweeping sloops under the Emergency War Programme. The vessels were reasonable sea-boats, but lost speed badly in a seaway when the paddle boxes tended to become choked with water. The class is also widely referred to as the Ascot class and Improved Ascot class.

    Name:  10.3.PNG
Views: 102
Size:  39.9 KB
    Racecourse Class Minesweeper (actually HMS Plumpton)

    Air War
    Germany: 11 DH4s (1 lost) of No 55 Squadron bomb railways at Ehrang. Low cloud, mist and heavy flak prevent them reaching Cologne; 5 killed, 7 injured in central Metz by Handley Page bomber (night November 10-11).

    General Headquarters, November 11th.

    “On November 10th our squadrons continued their work in fine weather, actively co-operating in the general advance and vigorously bombing the enemy's troops and transport. Over 2,000 photographs were taken and a great deal of valuable information was brought in by our reconnaissance machines. More than 19 tons of bombs were dropped during the day. The enemy did not show great activity in the air. In air fighting 16 hostile machines were shot down and one was driven down out of control. In addition, two German machines, standing on an aerodrome were destroyed by bombs dropped from a low altitude. Nine of our machines are missing. At night our bombing operations were continued. Louvain, Namur, Charleroi and many other important railway centres were attacked with excellent results. In one case an ammunition train was blown up and fires and explosions were caused on the sidings in which it was standing. In all over 20 tons of bombs were dropped. All our machines have returned.”

    Headquarters R.A.F., Independent Force, November 10th.

    “On the morning of the 10th inst. our squadrons heavily attacked the hostile aerodrome at Morhange. Bursts were observed on and near hangars. All our machines returned.”

    Headquarters R.A.F., Independent Force, November 11th.

    “On the afternoon of the 10th inst., besides the raids already reported, our machines successfully attacked the railway junctions at Ehrange. Results could not be observed. One of our machines is at present unlocated. On the night of the 10th-11th inst. our machines attacked hostile aerodromes at Morhange, Frescaty, and Leffingham, and the railways at Metz-Sablon. Direct hits were obtained at Frescaty and exceptionally good shooting at Morhange, where 10 direct hits on hangars were observed. Three large fires were started and very considerable damage done. All our machines returned.”

    RAF Communiqué No 32:

    Weather: Fine.

    Seventy-five reconnaissances, 89 contact and country-attack patrols.

    One hostile battery neutralized with aeroplane observation, 44 zone calls sent.

    Twenty-six tons of bombs dropped by night and 18½ tons by day.

    Two successful raids were carried out on Enghien Station by No 103 and 54 Squadrons and 2nd Squadron, A.F.C., escorted by No 88 Squadron and 4th Squadron, A.F.C. A total of 2 230-lb, 11 112-lb and 217 25-lb bombs were dropped from a low altitude. Great havoc was caused by the heavy bombs of No 103 Squadron, some of which were dropped from as low as 500 feet. Three or four trains side by side appeared to be completely wrecked, and many large craters on the lines were seen after the raid. Almost every bomb burst in the station or on the track, and two trains were set on fire and destroyed. On a long line of transport, on both raids, between Enghien and Hal scouts obtained many direct hits. Lorries were set on fire and at least eight destroyed by direct hits. The road became blocked by lorries running into each other and into the ditch. In and around Enghien great havoc and confusion was caused to troops and horse transport by machine gun fire. An A.A. battery received a direct hit from a bomb. Another bomb was observed to burst right in țhe middle of 100 troops just south of Engien. Direct hits by bombs were observed on M.T. and horse transport on the Bassilly-Enghien road and on the Herinnes-Enghien road. No interference was experienced from E.A. Three hangars on the aerodrome south-west of Marcq were seen to have been burnt out by yesterday’s raid.

    No 207 Squadron carried out a raid on Liege railway station during the night, dropping 95 112-lb and 29 25-lb bombs. Twelve direct hits were obtained on the station and a large explosion was caused by one 112-lb bomb. The visibility was bad.

    Enemy Aircraft:

    Activity slight.

    Capt F W Gillet, 79 Sqn, Fokker DVII destroyed north of Pelceghem at 06:30/07:30 -
    Capt F W Gillet, 79 Sqn, Fokker DVII destroyed north-west of Bisseghem at 06:35/07:35 -
    Capt F W Gillet, 79 Sqn, Fokker DVII destroyed north-west of Bisseghem at 06:35/07:35 -
    Lieut W D Megson & ?, 21 Sqn, two-seater out of control ? at 07:45/08:45 -
    Capt G H Hooper & Lieut M A McKenzie, 20 Sqn, Fokker DVII out of control Charleroi at 08:30/09:30 -
    Lieut W S Jenkins, 210 Sqn, DFW C crashed Merbes-le-Château at 08:40/09:40 -
    Lieut F H Taylor, 84 Sqn, Fokker DVII crashed south-east of Fagnolle at 10:00/11:00 -
    Maj C E M Pickthorn, 84 Sqn, Fokker DVII crashed east of Mutagne at 10:00/11:00 -
    Capt G C Mackay, Lieut A F Chick, Lieut H H Gilbert and Lieut A B Rosevear, 213 Sqn, LVG C crashed south-east of Ghent at 10:40/11:40 -
    Lieut G E Randall & Lieut G V Learmond, 20 Sqn, Fokker DVII crashed by Randall west of Louerval at 11:00/12:00 -
    2nd-Lieut F H Solomon & 2nd-Lieut A D Sinclair, 20 Sqn, Fokker DVII crashed south of Charleroi at 11:30/12:30 -
    Lieut H W Heslop & 2nd-Lieut J Hackett, 20 Sqn, Fokker DVII crashed south-west of Charleroi at 11:30/12:30 -
    Lieut G E Randall & Lieut G V Learmond, 20 Sqn, Fokker DVII in flames [by Learmond] west of Louerval at 11:35/12:35 -

    Lieuts G E Randall and G V Learmond, No 20 Squadron, with a patrol of Bristol Fighters, engaged 11 Fokker biplanes which were attacking a formation of D.H.9's. The first E.A. which they fired at fell out of control and crashed. Four more succeeded in getting on to their tail. but Lieut Learmond shot one of these down in flames. 2nd Lieuts F H Solomon and A D Sinclair, of the same patrol, brought down another of the E.A., and a fourth was destroyed by Lieut H W Heslop and 2nd Lieut J Hackett

    Lieut J A Parkinson, 201 Sqn, Fokker DVII crashed Bois de Clermont at 11:40/12:40 -
    Lieut J E Berry, 210 Sqn, Fokker DVII crashed Binche at 13:15/14:15 -
    Lieut H R Hughes, 210 Sqn, Fokker DVII out of control Binche at 13:15/14:15 -
    Lieut R G Burns, 210 Sqn, Fokker DVII crashed east of Binche at 13:15/14:15 -
    Lieut W S Jenkins, 210 Sqn, Fokker DVII crashed east of Binche at 13:15/14:15 -
    Capt T S Harrison, 29 Sqn, Fokker DVII crashed Moorleghem at 13:45/14:45 -
    Capt C G Ross, 29 Sqn, Fokker DVII in flames east of Elene at 15:35/16:35 -
    Lieut J Baalman, 29 Sqn, Fokker DVII crashed Moorleghem at 15:45/16:45 -
    Lieut E G Davies, 29 Sqn, Fokker DVII crashed south-east of Moorleghem at 15:45/16:45 -
    Lieut H B Oldham, 29 Sqn, Fokker DVII crashed south-east of Moorleghem at 15:45/16:45 -


    Capt C A Brown (Wia), 46 Sqn, Camel - shot through by machine-gun fire
    Capt D R G Mackay DFC (Pow; dow 11-Nov-18) & 2nd-Lieut H T C Gompertz (Pow), 55 Sqn IF, DH4 F5725 - missing on photography escort Thionville - Metz
    Lieut T S Horry (Ok), 92 Sqn, SE5a F5623 - force landed near Landrecies with engine shot through cylinder on offensive patrol Bertry
    2nd-Lieut M J Carroll (Ok) & 2nd-Lieut F E Green (Ok), 218 Sqn, DH9 B7672 - missing from bombing raid after dropped out of formation near Laen, reported missing but okay
    2nd-Lieut I L Dutton (Ok) & 2nd-Lieut G H Wilson (Ok), 27 Sqn, DH9 C1212 - took off 06:45/07:45 then force landed St Remy Mal Bati after hit by A.A. during bombing Thuilles
    Lieut Townsend (Ok) & Lieut Steele (Ok), 12 Sqn, RE8 C2873 - crashed avoiding machine-gun post in forced landing at 'Sh51K30' 07:25/08:25 due machine-gun fire on counter-attack patrol
    2nd-Lieut G C Upson (Ok) & 2nd-Lieut H J Clements (Ok), 27 Sqn, DH9 C1212 - shot down and force landed in enemy lines at N2 09:00/10:00 and set on fire by enemy during reconnaissance, both escaped
    Lieut G E Dowler (Kia), 46 Sqn, Camel C8391 - took off 09:00/10:00 then collided in air with Camel F6285 over 'Sh57D8B78' during low bombing, the map reference makes no sense as it would place the location west of 46 Sqn's aerodrome at Busigny [Sh57b.V.16]

    2nd-Lieut W G Coulthurst (Kia), 46 Sqn, Camel F6285 - took off 09:05/10:05 then collided in air with Camel F6285 over 'Sh57D8B78' during low bombing, the map reference makes no sense as it would place the location west of 46 Sqn's aerodrome at Busigny [Sh57b.V.16]

    2nd-Lieut J E Pugh (Wia; Dow 13-Nov-18), 210 Sqn, Camel F8509 - last seen at 2,000 feet over Bois de Wauhu 09:10/10:10 on OP Mons - Maubeuge
    2nd-Lieut H C Thomas (Kia) & 2nd-Lieut J H R Smith (Kia), 211 Sqn, DH9 D7362 - took off 09:45/10:45 then hit by fire from E.A. and landed in enemy territory just south-west of Charleroi on photo reconnaissance
    Lieut E A Britton (Pow) & 99859 Sergt R S Dodds (Kia), 20 Sqn, Bristol F.2B F4421 - took off 10:15/11:15 and last seen in combat with E.A. over Charleroi on patrol
    2nd-Lieut A W McHardy (Kia) & Lieut W A Rodger (Kia), 20 Sqn, Bristol F.2B F6195 - took off 10:20/11:20 and last seen in combat over Charleroi on patrol
    Ltn d R Hans von Freden, Ja50, claimed a Bristol, not confirmed, over Froid Chapelle – usually said to be Britton & Dodds; Froidchapelle is 25 Km south of Charleroi
    Lieut A B Agnew (Pow) & 2nd-Lieut S Coates (Pow), 12 Sqn, RE8 C2691 - took off 11:30/12:30 then missing on counter-attack patrol; said to be Offz Stv Freidrich Altemeier, Ja24, 21st victory [Solre at 09:50/10:50] but clearly not the case
    Lieut J C MacLennan (Ok?), 54 Sqn, Camel F2083 - believed to have landed just west of Bassilly under control 13:35/14:35 on special mission with bombs, reported missing but okay?
    2nd-Lieut A M Rosenbleet (Pow), 84 Sqn, SE5a F5515 - took off 14:25/15:25 then seen to land under control near Marienburg on patrol; Ltn d R Hans Holthusen, Ja29, 4th victory [west of Marienburg, no time]

    Claiming the last aerial hat-trick of the war was the American Captain Francis Warrington "Razors" Gillet DFC & Bar flying for 79 Squadron RAF. He was flying Sopwith Dolphin C3584 when he shor down three Fokker D.VIIs

    Name:  10.5.PNG
Views: 101
Size:  37.2 KB

    The son of George Martin and Mary Frances (Koons) Gillet, Francis Warrington Gillet graduated from the University of Virginia (class of 1916) before he joined the United States Air Service on 1 April 1917. When the United States entered the war, Gillet was declared too young to be commissioned. He obtained a discharge on 25 July 1917 and went to Canada where he joined the Royal Flying Corps. 2nd Lieutenant Gillet received Royal Aero Club Aviator's Certificate 7017 on 29 December 1917. Upon completing his training in England, he was posted to 79 Squadron in France on 29 March 1918. Flying the Sopwith Dolphin, Gillet scored twenty victories by the end of the war. In addition to three kite balloons, he was credited with destroying fourteen Fokker D.VIIs. Post-war, he returned home to Maryland and was a liquor distributor, a realtor and was active in thoroughbred horse racing.

    Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC)
    Lieut. Frederick Warrington Gillett.
    When attacking a kite balloon, a two-seater guarding it advanced to engage him; Lieut. Gillett [sic] shot the machine down, and, turning to the balloon, which was being rapidly hauled down, he dropped two bombs at the winch and fired a drum into the balloon, which deflated but did not catch fire. In addition to this two-seater, this officer has accounted for two other machines and a kite balloon.
    Supplement to the London Gazette, 2 November 1918 (30989/12965)

    Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC) Bar
    Lieut. (A./Capt.) Frederick Warrington Gillett, D.F.C. (FRANCE)
    A pilot of great dash and skill who, since 3rd August, has destroyed twelve hostile aircraft. On 29th September, when on lowline patrol, he attacked three Fokkers, driving down one, which fell in flames.
    Supplement to the London Gazette, 8 February 1919 (31170/203

    Appears as Frederick Warrington Gillet and Frederick Warrington Gillett in some sources.

    The following claims were made on this day.

    Name:  10.6.PNG
Views: 105
Size:  15.1 KB

    27 members of the RAF died on this day - again only a few were in flying incidents or combat

    Name:  10.7.PNG
Views: 112
Size:  48.1 KB Name:  10.8.PNG
Views: 102
Size:  46.9 KB Name:  10.9.PNG
Views: 99
Size:  41.4 KB

    Captain Tunstill's Men: Starting out in the early hours, the Battalion marched six miles to Treviso, arriving before 5.20am. Here they boarded a train at 6.20am and were taken 60 miles west to Tavernelle, south-west of Vicenza. The train journey which was scheduled for three hours in actual fact took almost eight hours and it was 2pm before the Battalion disembarked for a final five mile march south-west, via Montebello Vicentino, to billets at Terrossa.

    Pte. Albert Smith (25953) (see 8th October) was admitted via 69th Field Ambulance and 9th Casualty Clearing Station to 38th Stationary Hospital in Genoa; he was suffering from influenza.

    Pte. John Newton (see 29th October), who had been wounded two weeks’ previously, was transferred from 38th Stationary Hospital in Genoa to 57th General Hospital in Marseilles.

    Pte. Arthur Clarke (see 30th October), who had been taken ill whilst on home leave, embarked for France, en route to re-joining the Battalion; he had been ordered to report on 31st October but had not actually reported himself at Southampton until 6.15am on 7th November. He now travelled from Southampton to Le Havre onboard the Mona’s Queen. On arrival at Le Havre he would join ‘B’ Infantry Base Depot, before, five days later, departing for Italy.

    Name:  images.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  8.3 KB Armistice Countdown 1 day

    Better start on tomorrow's now - could be a big one....
    Last edited by Hedeby; 11-10-2018 at 05:40.

    Never knowingly under gunned !

  17. #3767

    Skafloc's Avatar Northern Command Squadron Leader.

    Users Country Flag

    Blog Entries
    Neil (Bullseye)
    Sorties Flown
    Join Date
    Jan 2013


    Well done Chris. Time for a pint or 2 post 11am tomorrow.
    See you on the Dark Side......

  18. #3768


    Going to get up early tomorrow as I want to hit the save button at exactly 11:00am

    Never knowingly under gunned !

  19. #3769

    Skafloc's Avatar Northern Command Squadron Leader.

    Users Country Flag

    Blog Entries
    Neil (Bullseye)
    Sorties Flown
    Join Date
    Jan 2013


    At 11am I should be or will be on parade with the Ex Fusiliers in Sunderland (Paul will never let me live it down). 2nd Biggest parade in the country.

    I'll be right there with you Chris, in my heart.
    See you on the Dark Side......

  20. #3770


    Bet you guys cannot believe you are just about there Time for one last Bristol methinks. Congratulations on a brilliant effort all round

  21. #3771


    Name:  WW1.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  65.1 KB

    Well after 1562 days 3771 posts and over 310,000 views we arrive at the day that seemed so far away back in that New York Hotel room in August 2014.
    The plan is to upload today's edition in stages so that I can finish as close to 11:00am GMT as possible.

    November 11th 1918 - The Armistice

    The Armistice of 11 November 1918 was the armistice that ended fighting on land, sea and air in World War I between the Allies and their opponent, Germany. Previous armistices had eliminated Bulgaria, the Ottoman Empire and the Austro-Hungarian Empire from the war. Also known as the Armistice of Compiègne from the place where it was signed, it came into force at 11 a.m. Paris time on 11 November 1918 ("the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month") and marked a victory for the Allies and a complete defeat for Germany, although not formally a surrender.

    The actual terms, largely written by the Allied Supreme Commander, Marshal Ferdinand Foch, included the cessation of hostilities, the withdrawal of German forces to behind the Rhine, Allied occupation of the Rhineland and bridgeheads further east, the preservation of infrastructure, the surrender of aircraft, warships, and military materiel, the release of Allied prisoners of war and interned civilians, eventual reparations, no release of German prisoners and no relaxation of the naval blockade of Germany.

    Although the armistice ended the fighting, it needed to be prolonged three times until the Treaty of Versailles, which was signed on 28 June 1919, took effect on 10 January 1920.

    The Armistice was prolonged three times before peace was finally ratified. During this period it was also developed.

    First Armistice (11 November 1918 – 13 December 1918)
    First prolongation of the armistice (13 December 1918 – 16 January 1919)
    Second prolongation of the armistice (16 January 1919 – 16 February 1919)
    Trèves Agreement, 17 January 1919
    Third prolongation of the armistice (16 February 1919 – 10 January 1920)
    Brussels Agreement, 14 March 1919
    Peace was ratified at 4:15 p.m. on 10 January 1920.

    For the Allies, the personnel involved were all military. The two signatories were:

    Marshal of France Ferdinand Foch, the Allied supreme commander
    First Sea Lord Admiral Rosslyn Wemyss, the British representative

    Other members of the delegation included:

    General Maxime Weygand, Foch's chief of staff (later French commander-in-chief in 1940)
    Rear-Admiral George Hope, Deputy First Sea Lord
    Captain Jack Marriott, British naval officer, Naval Assistant to the First Sea Lord
    For Germany, the four signatories were:

    Matthias Erzberger, a civilian politician.
    Count Alfred von Oberndorff, from the Foreign Ministry
    Major General Detlof von Winterfeldt, army
    Captain Ernst Vanselow, navy

    Name:  11.1.PNG
Views: 98
Size:  86.6 KB
    Photograph taken after reaching agreement for the armistice that ended World War I. This is Ferdinand Foch's own railway carriage and the location is the Forest of Compiègne. Foch is second from the right. Left of Foch in the photo (on Foch’s own right) is the senior British representative, Sir Rosslyn Wemyss. On the right is Admiral George Hope

    Among its 34 clauses, the armistice contained the following major points:

    A. Western Front

    Termination of hostilities on the Western Front, on land and in the air, within six hours of signature.
    Immediate evacuation of France, Belgium, Luxembourg, and Alsace-Lorraine within 15 days. Sick and wounded may be left for Allies to care for.
    Immediate repatriation of all inhabitants of those four territories in German hands.
    Surrender of matériel: 5,000 artillery pieces, 25,000 machine guns, 3,000 minenwerfers, 1,700 aircraft (including all night bombers), 5,000 railway locomotives, 150,000 railway carriages and 5,000 road trucks.
    Evacuation of territory on the west side of the Rhine plus 30 km (19 mi) radius bridgeheads of the east side of the Rhine at the cities of Mainz, Koblenz, and Cologne within 31 days.
    Vacated territory to be occupied by Allied troops, maintained at Germany's expense.
    No removal or destruction of civilian goods or inhabitants in evacuated territories and all military matériel and premises to be left intact.
    All minefields on land and sea to be identified.
    All means of communication (roads, railways, canals, bridges, telegraphs, telephones) to be left intact, as well as everything needed for agriculture and industry.

    B. Eastern and African Fronts

    Immediate withdrawal of all German troops in Romania and in what were the Ottoman Empire, the Austro-Hungarian Empire and the Russian Empire back to German territory as it was on 1 August 1914, although tacit support was given to the pro-German West Russian Volunteer Army under the guise of combating the Bolsheviks. The Allies to have access to these countries.
    Renunciation of the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk with Russia and of the Treaty of Bucharest with Romania.
    Evacuation of German forces in Africa.

    C. At sea

    Immediate cessation of all hostilities at sea and surrender intact of all German submarines within 14 days.
    Listed German surface vessels to be interned within 7 days and the rest disarmed.
    Free access to German waters for Allied ships and for those of the Netherlands, Norway, Denmark and Sweden.
    The naval blockade of Germany to continue.
    Immediate evacuation of all Black Sea ports and handover of all captured Russian vessels.

    D. General

    Immediate release of all Allied prisoners of war and interned civilians, without reciprocity.
    Pending a financial settlement, surrender of assets looted from Belgium, Romania and Russia.

    The British public was notified of the armistice by a subjoined official communiqué issued from the Press Bureau at 10:20 a.m., when British Prime Minister David Lloyd George announced: "The armistice was signed at five o'clock this morning, and hostilities are to cease on all fronts at 11 a.m. to-day." An official communique was published by the United States at 2:30 pm: "In accordance with the terms of the Armistice, hostilities on the fronts of the American armies were suspended at eleven o'clock this morning."

    News of the armistice being signed was officially announced towards 9 a.m. in Paris. One hour later, Foch, accompanied by a British admiral, presented himself at the Ministry of War, where he was immediately received by Georges Clemenceau, the Prime Minister of France. At 10:50 a.m., Foch issued this general order: "Hostilities will cease on the whole front as from November 11 at 11 o'clock French time The Allied troops will not, until further order, go beyond the line reached on that date and at that hour." Five minutes later, Clemenceau, Foch and the British admiral went to the Élysée Palace. At the first shot fired from the Eiffel Tower, the Ministry of War and the Élysée Palace displayed flags, while bells around Paris rang. Five hundred students gathered in front of the Ministry and called upon Clemenceau, who appeared on the balcony. Clemenceau exclaimed "Vive la France!"—the crowd echoed him. At 11:00 a.m., the first peace-gunshot was fired from Fort Mont-Valérien, which told the population of Paris that the armistice was concluded, but the population were already aware of it from official circles and newspapers.

    Although the information about the imminent ceasefire had spread among the forces at the front in the hours before, fighting in many sections of the front continued right until the appointed hour. At 11 a.m. there was some spontaneous fraternization between the two sides. But in general, reactions were muted. A British corporal reported: "...the Germans came from their trenches, bowed to us and then went away. That was it. There was nothing with which we could celebrate, except cookies." On the Allied side, euphoria and exultation were rare. There was some cheering and applause, but the dominant feeling was silence and emptiness after 52 exhausting months of war.

    The peace between the Allies and Germany was subsequently settled in 1919, by the Paris Peace Conference and the Treaty of Versailles that same year.

    Many artillery units continued to fire on German targets to avoid having to haul away their spare ammunition. The Allies also wished to ensure that, should fighting restart, they would be in the most favourable position. Consequently, there were 10,944 casualties, of whom 2,738 men died, on the last day of the war. An example of the determination of the Allies to maintain pressure until the last minute, but also to adhere strictly to the Armistice terms, was Battery 4 of the US Navy's long-range 14-inch railway guns firing its last shot at 10:57:30 am from the Verdun area, timed to land far behind the German front line just before the scheduled Armistice.

    Name:  11.2.PNG
Views: 95
Size:  70.3 KBName:  11.4.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  7.7 KB

    Private George Lawrence Price (Saskatchewan Regiment) becomes the last British Empire casualty in the Great War when he is shot near the heart at 10:58. Price is part of an advance to take the small village of Havré. After an unauthorized crossing of the Canal du Centre into the town of Ville-sur-Haine under German machine gun fire, Private Price and his patrol move toward a row of houses intent on pursuing the machine gunner who has harassed their crossing of the canal. The patrol has entered the house they believed the shooting has come from but find the Germans have exited through the back door as they entered the front. They then pursue into the house next door and again find it empty. George Price is then fatally shot in the region of his heart by a German sniper as he steps out of the house into the street, against contrary advice from a house occupant and dies just 2 minutes before the armistice ceasefire. He was conscripted in late 1917 and will be buried in the St. Symphorien Military Cemetery that also contains the body of Private J Parr who was the first British casualty of the Great War.

    The last soldier from the UK to die, George Edwin Ellison of the 5th Royal Irish Lancers, was killed that morning at around 9:30 a.m. while scouting on the outskirts of Mons, Belgium

    Name:  11.3.PNG
Views: 92
Size:  24.8 KBName:  11.4.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  7.7 KB

    Ellison was born in York and later lived in Leeds, England. Early in life, he joined the British Army as a regular soldier but had left by 1912 when he was married to Hannah Maria Burgan and had become a coal miner. Sometime just before the outbreak of war he was recalled to the army, joining the 5th Royal Irish Lancers and serving in the army at the start of the war. He fought in the Battle of Mons in 1914, and several other battles including the Battle of Ypres, Battle of Armentières, Battle of La Bassée, Battle of Lens, Battle of Loos, and Battle of Cambrai on the Western Front.

    Ellison, aged 40 at the time of his death, is buried in the St Symphorien Military Cemetery, just southeast of Mons. Coincidentally, and in large part due to Mons being lost in the very opening stages of the war and regained at the very end (from the British perspective), his grave faces that of John Parr, the first British soldier killed during the Great War. He was survived by Hannah and a son, James Cornelius (just five days short of his fifth birthday when his father was killed) – who only learnt of his death just before Christmas, more than a month after the war had ended. At least two of his grandchildren were alive as of 2008. Ellison's story was featured in a 2008 BBC Timewatch documentary with Michael Palin. In 2018, he was the inspiration behind a poem, "Goodnight Kiss", by writer Philip Parker. Leeds Civic Trust and partners are to unveil a memorial plaque to him at Leeds Central railway station in November 2018 and, as of September 2018, were running a crowd-funder campaign to that end.

    Augustin Trébuchon was the last Frenchman to die when he was shot on his way to tell fellow soldiers, who were attempting an assault across the Meuse river, that hot soup would be served after the ceasefire. He was shot 15 minutes before the Armistice came into effect, at 10.45am on 11 November 1918. The French Army, embarrassed to have sent men into battle after the armistice with the Germans had been signed, recorded the date of his death as earlier by one day.

    Name:  11.5.PNG
Views: 92
Size:  31.3 KBName:  11.4.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  7.7 KB

    Trébuchon, as a messenger, knew an agreement had been signed before the rest of his unit. At Vrigne-sur-Meuse, in the Ardennes, the 163rd Infantry Division was ordered to attack an élite German unit, the Hannetons. General Henri Gouraud told his men to cross the Meuse and to attack "as fast as possible, by whatever means and regardless of cost". It has been speculated that the attack was to end any possible hesitations by German negotiators at Compiègne, that Maréchal Foch believed the Germans were reluctant to sign and so ordered Général Philippe Pétain to press on across the Meuse. Trébuchon was halfway between Sedan and Charleville-Mézières. Rain was falling and the Meuse was flooding. Its width was put at 70m. The temperature was well below freezing. Warfare had destroyed bridges across the river and sappers worked by night and in fog to build a plank footbridge across a lock. There had been no reconnaissance of the other bank because bad weather had kept the spotter plane on the ground. Around 700 men crossed the river a little after 8am, taking a telephone wire with them. Some fell in the river and the first deaths were by drowning.

    The fog cleared at 10.30am and the French could see the Germans installed a little higher than them, a few hundred metres away. The French were spread over three kilometres between the Meuse and a railway line. The Germans opened fire with machine guns. The French sent up a spotter plane now that the fog had lifted and the artillery on the other bank could open fire without fear of killing their own side. Darkness fell again at 6pm and the battle continued until news of the armistice arrived. The last of the 91 French soldiers to die was Trébuchon, "with a red hole in his right side", probably a figure of speech as this expression comes from Arthur Rimbaud's very famous poem "Le Dormeur du Val" (The Sleeper in the Valley). He was 40. He fell near the railway line with his message still in his hand. It read "Rassemblement à 11h 30 pour le ravitaillement - "Muster at 11.30 for food." The armistice followed and the French withdrew without honouring their dead.

    Henry Nicholas John Gunther (June 6, 1895 – November 11, 1918) was an American soldier and the last soldier of any of the belligerents to be killed during World War I. He was killed at 10:59 a.m., one minute before the Armistice was to take effect at 11 a.m.

    Name:  11.6.PNG
Views: 92
Size:  106.8 KBName:  11.4.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  7.7 KB

    Gunther's unit, Company 'A', arrived at the Western Front on September 12, 1918. Like all Allied units on the front of the Meuse-Argonne Offensive, it was still embroiled in fighting on the morning of November 11. The Armistice with Germany was signed by 5:00 a.m., local time, but it would not come into force until 11:00 a.m. Gunther's squad approached a roadblock of two German machine guns in the village of Chaumont-devant-Damvillers near Meuse, in Lorraine. Gunther got up, against the orders of his close friend and now sergeant, Ernest Powell, and charged with his bayonet. The German soldiers, already aware of the Armistice that would take effect in one minute, tried to wave Gunther away. He kept going and fired "a shot or two". When he got too close to the machine guns, he was shot in a short burst of automatic fire and killed instantly. The writer James M. Cain, then a reporter for the local daily newspaper, The Sun, interviewed Gunther's comrades afterward and wrote that "Gunther brooded a great deal over his recent reduction in rank, and became obsessed with a determination to make good before his officers and fellow soldiers".

    American Expeditionary Forces commanding General John J. Pershing's "Order of The Day" on the following day specifically mentioned Gunther as the last American killed in the war. The Army posthumously restored his rank of sergeant and awarded him a Divisional Citation for Gallantry in Action and the Distinguished Service Cross.

    I am not sure of the last German soldier killed within the actual limits of WWI, but I think the final man killed was a Lt Tomas who was shot by American troops who had not heard of the ceasefire, when he walked towards them to tell them they could billet in the buildings his men had been using as they had vacated it.

    World War One Diary for Monday, November 11, 1918:

    France: ARMISTICE SIGNED in Foch’s wagon lit at Rethondes, Compiegne Forest at 0505 hours, COMES INTO FORCE 1100 HOURS and fighting ceases all along front.
    Allied line from Selzaete and Ghent to Thann and Swiss border: BEF stands on 55-mile line; Franco-Belgian frontier east of Avesnes-Jeumont-Givry, 4 miles east of Mons (captured by 3rd Canadian Division and 5th Lancers) *- Chievres 4 miles east of Ath*-Lessines (captured at 1055 hours with 150 PoWs) – Grammont. Since July 18 Allied Armies have taken 385,500 PoWs and 6,615 guns (BEF share totals 188,700 PoWs and 2,840 guns). Petain weeps in frustration that Armistice has denied ‘decisive’ victory, but at 2000 hours writes GHQ order ‘Closed due to victory’.
    Meuse: Vanguards of US Second Army and 3 French corps are within 6 miles of Montmedy. AEF strength 1,981,701 men (1,078,222 combat troops).

    Germany: Germans have 26 divisions from Finland to Georgia, Austrians have 7 divisions in Ukraine.
    Britain: Government recognizes Latvia.
    Poland: *Directorate formed at Warsaw, deposes Regency Council.
    Lithuania: Hoffmann diary (Kovno) ‘A Soldiers’ Council has been formed here also.’
    Northern Russia: Archangel Allies (53 casualties) at Kurgomin-Tulgas (river Dvina) repulse 1,000 Reds (over 600 casualties) and gunboats.

    Balkans: 80,000 Germans (53 battalions or 6 divisions) with 338 guns on Southeastern (Danube) front. British effective other ranks strength 103,996 (November 1 ration strength 158,707).

    North Sea: ARMISTICE TERMS stipulate delivery of 11 German battleships, 5 battlecruisers, 8 cruisers, 50 destroyers (all modern warships) and all U-boats to internment. Germany to retain only 6 battleships, 6 cruisers and 24 destroyers (all oldest classes). Record 20 Q-ships under SNO Scotland. Germany has 171 U*-boats plus 149 building.
    Naval Council of 21 in command at Wilhemshaven.
    Britain: Light cruiser Carlisle completed by Fairfield Yard, joins Harwich Force.

    Western Front: French Breguet 14 (Minier) carries German plenipotentiary Major Geyer from Tergnier to German GHQ at Spa with Armistice terms. They include IMMEDIATE DEMOBILIZATION OF GERMAN ARMY AIR SERVICE AND SURRENDER OF 2,000 FIGHTERS AND BOMBERS (eventually reduced to 1,700). Special importance is attached to confiscation of all Fokker DVII fighters and Zeppelins – 2,713 planes handed over by January 16, 1919.
    RAF now has 22,647 aircraft (including trainers; 1,576 serviceable out of 1,789 on Western Front) with 291,170 personnel (54,075 in France). French first*-line strength 4,511 aircraft and 61,000 men in 80 fighter, 32 bomber and 146 reconnaissance squadrons; German 2,390 (2,709 establishment) including 1,134-1,296 fighters and 168 bombers in 284 flying units with c.4,500 airmen. Since May 16, French 1st Air Division (600 aircraft) alone has claimed 637 German aircraft and 125 balloons, dropping 1,360t of bombs.

    RAF Communiqué No 32:

    Weather: fair but misty.

    Thirty-nine reconnaissances, 47 contact and counter-attack patrols, 36 zone calls sent.

    Twenty tons of bombs dropped by night and ¾ ton by day.

    No 214 Squadron carried out a successful raid on Louvain railway sidings and junction during the night, 112 112-lb bombs being dropped and many direct hits being obtained. An ammunition train was hit, causing explosions and fires all over the sidings.

    Hostilities ceased at 11.00.

    Enemy Aircraft:

    No activity.


    ? (Ok) & 2nd-Lieut S Soothill (Wia), 2 Sqn, AW FK8 - machine-gun fire
    Lieut H C Heintzman (Ok) & 2nd-Lieut H S Howard (Ok), 35 Sqn, AW FK8 F7482 - ran into fence near aerodrome on landing from contact patrol Flaumont
    2nd-Lieut E S Willox (Ok), 65 Sqn, Camel C3322 - struck ditch at Sh29.I.1.d.1.1 [north-east of Harlebeke] during bank at 50 feet in mist after force landed near Roulers during practice
    2nd-Lieut W A Chase (Ok) & Lieut J C Baxter (Ok), 101 Sqn, FE2b A6576 - force landed 1 Sqn due engine trouble after force landed at Z lighthouse on 10th on return from bomb raid


    To the Right Hon. LORD WEIR, Secretary of State and President of the Air Council.

    In this supreme hour of victory I send greetings and heartfelt congratulations to all ranks of the Royal Air Force. Our aircraft have been ever in the forefront of the battle; pilots and observers have consistently maintained the offensive throughout the ever-changing fortunes of the day, and in the war zones our gallant dead have lain always beyond the enemies' lines or far out to sea.

    Our far-flung squadrons have flown over home waters and foreign seas, the Western and Italian battle lines, Rhineland, the Mountains of Macedonia, Gallipoli, Palestine, the plains of Mesopotamia, the forests and swamps of East Africa, the North-West frontier of India, and the deserts of Arabia, Sinai and Darfur.

    The birth of the Royal Air Force, with its wonderful expansion and development, will ever remain one of the most remarkable achievements of the Great War.

    Everywhere, by God's help, officers, men and women of the Royal Air Force have splendidly maintained our just cause, and the value of their assistance to the Navy, the Army, and to Home Defence has been incalculable. For all their magnificent work, self-sacrifice, and devotion to duty, ask you on behalf of the Empire to thank them.


    November 11, 1918

    17 british airmen died on the final day of the war...

    Name:  11.11.PNG
Views: 90
Size:  41.0 KBName:  11.12.PNG
Views: 91
Size:  42.5 KBName:  11.13.PNG
Views: 89
Size:  33.2 KB

    FRANCE: ARMISTICE SIGNED AT 0505 HOURS, HOSTILITIES END 1100 HOURS. Germans to evacuate France and Low Countries in 14 days. New German Foreign Minister Dr Solf appeals for lighter terms and immediate talks (November 12).
    AUSTRIA: EM*PEROR CHARLES RE*NOUNCES RULE (and as King of Hungary on November 13). Prime Minister Lammasch and last Imperial Cabinet resign.
    USA: Wilson Washington speech says Allies will feed Central Europe.

    Switzerland: Bolshevik Mission expelled.
    HOLLAND: Kaiser given refuge at Count Bentinck’s Amerongen moated house near Utrecht.

    Belgium: First German Army Soviet at Malines.

    USA: AP flash brings armistice news at 0300 hours. Wilson reads terms to joint session of Congress. Greatest nationwide celebration ever known.
    Britain: King’s message to Empire. Joyous pandemonium in London and elsewhere from 1100 hours. CIGS Wilson records No 10 dinner ‘Lloyd George wants to shoot the Kaiser. Winston does not …’ War Risks Insurance reduced 50% since November 1.
    Austria: Emperor accepts his last Prime Minister’s resignation. Imperial family leave Schoenbrunn for Eckartsau, 37 1/2 miles northeast of Vienna.
    Germany*: Berlin workers delegates appoint council of Six Peoples Commissars (non-Bolshevik).
    France: From 1100 hours church bells salute the Armistice, Paris anti-aircraft guns fire 1,200 shots.

    Captain Tunstill's Men:

    Name:  Tunstill.PNG
Views: 92
Size:  51.1 KBName:  11.4.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  7.7 KB

    News came through on the evening of 11th that Germany had surrendered; the news was greeted with a mix of scepticism and delight. “We imagined that the whole world would rejoice, but out here in Italy we took it all quietly. There was a heartfelt sense of relief, too great for shouting, and a deep sadness that brought into our minds a sea of jostling faces of dead comrades”.

    The signing of the Armistice elicited little or no comment in the official records, although there was later comment in the Divisional history, “Every year since 1914 it had been declared that peace was to come before Christmas. The prophetic optimist had perhaps a harder task during 1918 to convert others to his views than in any previous year. But peace now had really come, and his reputation as a seer had been vindicated. “What did I tell yer; didn’t I say last June that this ‘ere war wouldn’t last beyond Christmas?”. “Yes, he did that”, agree a chorus of enthusiastic converts; “E’s a wonderful thinker is Old Nobby!”. Now forgotten were Nobby’s prophecies at Aldershot in 1914 and at Bois Grenier in the following year; his visions of triumph after Le Sars, and his stout declarations in the misery of mud and shell fire on the Passchandaele Ridge that, “these Bosches are about finished; they’ll throw their hand in before Christmas”. Even if remembered, none will grudge him his place among the prophets, for Nobby, like the greatest of these, had not believed so much in the truth of these forecasts as in his power to raise the spirits of his comrades”.

    2Lt. Bernard Garside (see 5th November) recalled how some of the officers of the Battalion celebrated news of the armistice, “When we got to know that Germany had surrendered we were very excited of course. That night, as we sat in our Company mess, there was a banging on the door after dinner and in marched the officers of another company in fancy dress. They carried brushes and shovels ‘at the slope’ and all sorts of weird instruments and the fattest man of all was dressed up in the clothes of an Italian woman and he was also drunk – very merry and good tempered – but drunk. They trooped in, about six of them, and said, “Come on chaps, to the HQ mess. It’s up to the Colonel to stand a drink!”. We joined them, except the Company Commander, and settled in the officers of another company. Then we went down the hill to the HQ mess, formed up in a semi-circle around the door and sang,

    ‘There was a little hen and it had a wooden leg,
    the best little hen that ever laid an egg.
    It laid more eggs than any hen upon the farm.
    And another little drink wouldn’t do us any harm’

    Well, we had only sung one verse when the door opened and, instead of bringing drinks, there stood the Adjutant (Capt. Leonard Norman Phillips MC, see 9th November) looking solemn. He said, “The Colonel desires you to return to your billets, gentlemen”. We saw we had done the wrong thing in the Colonel’s estimation and off we went. I’m afraid the others forgot the drunken man and I had to half carry him back up the hill. Wasn’t I tired!”

    On the very day that the Armistice with Germany was signed, Thomas Perks received a telegram informing him that his son, Capt. Bob Perks DSO (see 7th November), had been killed in action.

    Letter from the Editor...

    Well that brings us to the end of The Great War or World War One as it was later to be known. I am proud to say that Rob, Neil and I (with occasional much appreciated support) have managed to bring you that which we set out to do, i.e. something from every single day of the war. We have tried to report on every Victoria Cross awarded and details of as many of those died in the RFC, the RNAS and the RAF as we could. I would love to have been able to include more from our French and Italian allies and from the German, Austro Hungarian and Ottoman sources, but alas beyond a smattering of French my language skills were not able to locate and translate the necessary information.

    There have been some quiet days, especially during the opening months of the war but I know from experience how much time it has taken to produce these reports so I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has helped (especially Rob and Neil). I am deeply moved to see that we have had over 310,000 views in more than 1,500 days.

    Although the Armistice has now been signed, fighting continues in Rusia and all over Germany, but for me it is time to take a step back and retire my typewriter. We have achieved what I never thought we could and brought you, the readers, something from every single day of the war. (It will be nice not to have to duck out of family Christmas on Christmas morning to get an update out before present opening...)

    It only remains for me to once again thank my fellow conspirators and all those who have read and commented on our daily endeavours.

    Signing Off: Major Hedeby - Editor in Chief - The Sniper's Times

    Name:  Sniper 1.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  49.8 KB

    In Memorium

    The Cost

    The total number of military and civilian casualties in World War I was about 40 million: estimates range from 15 to 19 million deaths and about 23 million wounded military personnel, ranking it among the deadliest conflicts in human history. The total number of deaths includes from 9 to 11 million military personnel. The civilian death toll was about 8 million, including about 6 million due to war-related famine and disease. The Triple Entente (also known as the Allies) lost about 6 million military personnel while the Central Powers lost about 4 million. At least 2 million died from diseases and 6 million went missing, presumed dead.

    Name:  Casualties WW1.PNG
Views: 91
Size:  172.5 KB

    Name:  Thiepval Memorial.PNG
Views: 95
Size:  611.1 KB
    Thiepval Memorial 72,000 names of soldiers with no known grave

    Name:  Menin Gate.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  32.4 KB
    The Menin Gate Memorial 54,395 names of soldiers with no known grave

    Name:  Tyne Cot.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  302.8 KB
    Tyne Cot Cemetery 11,965 graves (8369 of unknown soldiers)

    Name:  Lijssenthoek.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  251.6 KB
    Lijssenthoeke Cemetery 10,784 graves

    Name:  Etaples.PNG
Views: 93
Size:  724.9 KB
    Etaples Cemetery 10,000 graves

    Name:  St Sever.PNG
Views: 91
Size:  503.3 KB
    St. Sever Cemetery 8676 graves (plus 328 from WW2)

    Name:  Cabaret Rouge.png
Views: 92
Size:  476.3 KB
    Cabaret Rouge Cemetery 7657 graves

    Name:  Notre Dame de Lorette.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  66.1 KB
    Notre Dame de Lorette 40,057 French graves

    Name:  4726590833_f1c8f3eae0_b.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  79.1 KB
    La Targette French War Cemetery 11,443 French graves

    Name:  Vladso.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  94.0 KB
    Vladso German Cemetery 25,644 German graves

    Name:  Fricourt.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  410.5 KB
    Fricourt German Cemetery 17,027 German graves

    Name:  Langemark Nord.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  199.5 KB
    Langemark Nord German Cemetery 10,143 German graves

    Name:  Flander's Field.PNG
Views: 86
Size:  168.7 KB
    Flanders Fields American War Cemetery 411 American Graves

    Name:  John Parr (1st).PNG
Views: 86
Size:  151.8 KB Name:  George Edwin Ellison.PNG
Views: 87
Size:  107.9 KB
    The graves of the first and last British soldiers to die in the war, buried 10 feet apart at St. Symphorien Cemetery.
    John Parr - died 5th August 1914
    George Ellison - died 11th November 1918

    Name:  Sunset - Final Image.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  211.4 KB
    and at the going down of the sun, and in the morning, we will remember them
    Last edited by Hedeby; 11-11-2018 at 02:38.

    Never knowingly under gunned !

  22. #3772

  23. #3773


    Thanks to all who had a hand in this epic piece of journalism especially Neil and Chris.

    I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

  24. #3774


    As mark of respect to the fallen of the Great War I am now closing this thread for a few hours until tomorrow morning.

    Name:  flanders_fields_2.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  170.4 KB
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

  25. #3775


    The thread is now re-opened for comments.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

  26. #3776


    An astounding body of work, indicative of great dedication, discipline and enthusiasm for the subject.
    I couldn't have done it; couldn't even have ATTEMPTED it!

    The medals are a great reward, but the Editors deserve much more than that.

    They'll have to be satisfied with our heartfelt thanks (plus the odd or two!).

  27. #3777


    Truely remarkable work lads . Dare I say it will go down in the pages of history of this forum

    I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

  28. #3778


    No you dare not Paul. Oh! you just did.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

  29. #3779


    May I add to what Tim said that a bit of Rep would not go amiss.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

  30. #3780


    I agree with Tim. It is an astonishing achievement.

  31. #3781

    Boney10's Avatar South Western Command Squadron Leader.
    Lt. Colonel

    Users Country Flag

    Blog Entries
    Sorties Flown
    Join Date
    Oct 2010


    Well done to the main editors for this thread, you thoroughly deserve the accolades, well done those men.

  32. #3782


    What a fantastic effort! Extremely informative. Thank you very much. If I knew how to nominate you guys for a Pulitzer Prize I would!

  33. #3783


    A great thanks to all that put in a monumental effort. It has been a wonderful daily tome for all of us to read and learn more about WWI than I would have imagined. Thanks again.

  34. #3784


    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    An astounding body of work, indicative of great dedication, discipline and enthusiasm for the subject.
    I couldn't have done it; couldn't even have ATTEMPTED it!

    The medals are a great reward, but the Editors deserve much more than that.

    They'll have to be satisfied with our heartfelt thanks (plus the odd or two!).
    This expresses my sentiments completely.
    I wish I could put a salute on here for every man who died or was wounded.
    Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. Winston S. Churchill

  35. #3785


    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    This expresses my sentiments completely.
    I wish I could put a salute on here for every man who died or was wounded.
    You could Reg, but it would probably crash the server.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

  36. #3786


    Whilst clearing my late cousin's flat ready for sale today, I came across two copies of our sister new sheet.

    The Balkan News for the dates of Sunday March the 25th 1917 and Saturday August the 4th of the same year plus her father's dog tags. He was stationed out there in the Royal Army Medical Corps.

    Name:  IMG_6967.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  186.3 KB

    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

  37. #3787


    That’s a great find

    Never knowingly under gunned !

Page 76 of 76 FirstFirst ... 266667686970717273747576

Similar Missions

  1. 100 up today.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-23-2018, 01:05
  2. 68 years ago today - A Warning to New York
    By Naharaht in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-07-2015, 09:54
  3. 100 years ago today.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-29-2014, 00:05
  4. 71 Years Ago Today
    By ptownhiker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-10-2012, 13:13
  5. (Werner Voss) 95 years ago today ...
    By MoonSylver in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-27-2012, 06:21


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts