Ares Games

Thread: OTT The Early Doors Mission 4 - Verdun - 21st April 1916 (Chuck)

Default OTT The Early Doors Mission 4 - Verdun - 21st April 1916 (Chuck)

The briefing had been straightforward enough; find the enemy headquarters and ID their artillery emplacements. I however determined to do more than that.

I was with the boys discussing the mission, “Finding their headquarters and gun types is all well and good, but I want you gents to take down their observation balloons as well. Everyone we take down hinders their ability to fire precise salvos. That is going to save the lives of many of the poor chaps mucking through hell in the ground attack to come.”

“When we go in Smithy will be on the right with Conlen as his gunner. They’ll take out the balloon here then make a run at the HQ. The rest of us will come in from this direction. King, your primary mission will be finding the HQ. Jace see if you can take out this balloon on the way in.”

“Yes, sir.”

“Finn and I will try to keep any air cover the Hun has off you gents so you have an unhindered approach. But watch out for Archie.”

“We’ll be in and out before the Hun know we’ve been there!” answered King.

I liked the upbeat mood of the boys. This was a very dangerous mission and there was bound to be loses. I didn’t look forward to that eventuality…

We were up at the dawn and on our way. I was flying my old kite again. After my last sortie there had been notches in the propeller so Moulton was busy working on the synchronization gear so I didn’t end up shooting my propeller off! There was a dense fog covering the ground, but it would burn off as the sun rose higher.

There ahead of us were the German lines. Smithy broke off and went right. Finn and I were on either side of King. The balloons were high in the sky. The Hun was ever watchful.

We were getting close to the Hun’s forward trench line when Smithy flew past the balloon to our flight’s right. The resulting fireball brightly illuminated the early morning sky. Smithy rocked his Fe back and forth to knock burning fragments of balloon from his wings instead of breaking right to recon. Couldn’t blame him for that!

Attachment 138909

Meanwhile we were within firing range with two Eindeckers approached from the left; I veered to face them. We exchanged a few rounds; King was to my right.

Attachment 138910

Attachment 138911

After pulling an Immelman I was on one Hun. I peppered him with my port gun and then my starboard gun.

Attachment 138912

Attachment 138913

Attachment 138914

Attachment 138915

Smithy joined in the pursuit, but did not attack. Either Conlen’s machine gun was jammed or being reloaded.

Attachment 138916

Attachment 138917

Finally running out of ammo I was determined to stay on the Hun’s tail as I reloaded. It was difficult but I for the most part managed.

I was still following my prey when one of the Eindeckers broke off to chase after King.

Attachment 138918

Attachment 138919

As Smithy and lt. Diamond had the Hun air cover occupied we made a beeline for the Hun’s secondary trench line. The fog was beginning to clear as we passed over what was surely the Hun’s HQ. King tilted the plane slightly so I could obtain the best photos possible.

Attachment 138920

We then continued on towards one of the gun emplacements. Seeing the big guns being readied made me nervous, but I had a job to do and endeavored to do it.

Attachment 138921

I started taking pictures when a shell burst just underneath us. Fortunately I held onto the camera and managed several shots. Once back inside I took a glance to port; the lower left wing being full of holes.

Attachment 138922

Attachment 138923

Keeping in mind lt. Diamond’s orders to bring down the balloons and seeing as Smithy and the L T seemed to have the Hun fighters occupied I went after the balloon on the far left.

Attachment 138924

I pulled an Immelman after my first pass, noted the flames, and strafed the bugger again. I wanted to make sure the beast was going down!

Attachment 138925

But my blasted gun jammed. It was then I noticed King’s Fe engaged with a lone Fokker and started in to render aid.

Attachment 138926

Attachment 138927

Attachment 138928

As the Fe flew pass the Fokker I was horrified to see two explosions and feared she been taken down. I was relieved to see the aeroplane continue on seemingly unscathed.

Attachment 138929

Firing a final volley at the center balloon I flew in to distract the Fokker so King could get away.

Attachment 138930

I was low on ammo and only wanted to distract the blighter. As soon as King was safe I broke off and headed for home.

Attachment 138931

Attachment 138932

We were on our way having survived at least three near misses from enemy artillery. The center balloon was the only one still aloft. I checked my gun and took aim as we flew pass. I emptied my forward gun then switched to the aft firing weapon. I was rewarded with two plumes of flame erupting from the drachen.

Attachment 138933

Attachment 138934

Attachment 138935

Then we were seemingly in the clear.

Attachment 138937

Amazingly I had stuck with the Fokker and finally had my twin Lewis’ machine gun re-loaded. He pulled an Immelman and I fired an ineffective shot.

Attachment 138936

Smithy on his way home didn’t see the Fokker approaching. Which was just as well as my next shot flamed the bugger. He circled toward home and I finished him just before he reached the trench line.

Attachment 138938

I then turned for home, but as I approached our lines something below me caught my eye; a lone Albatros! He was heading for home and hadn’t noticed me. Though I was low on ammo I couldn’t resist the prospect of notching another victory. I pulled a split-S and dropped in right behind him and scorched his tail!

Attachment 138939

Attachment 138940

He crashed just short of the German trench line.

Attachment 138941

With my ammo all but exhausted I turned around and flew towards home. My men had each taken down a balloon and I scored two victories. Our work was done.

I can only imagine what Charles King and Jace went through based on the state of their aircraft after the engagement. Big holes and little holes and a lot of them littered the plane. They accomplished the mission though and on the way back Jace downed the middle balloon to boot!
    Last edited by WWIflyingace; 08-02-2014 at 15:48.

Great report but can't see pics only 4 numbers where pics should be.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Butcher’s Bill
    Charles Lewis Diamond / RTB / - / 2 Victories
    Charles Henry Smith and Jace Bradley / RTB / - / 1 Victory
    Finn MacCoul / RTB / - / 1 Victory
    Charles King and Conlen Auandee / RTB / - / 1 Victory

Attachment 138902

Attachment 138903

Alfons Rienau (Fokker) / SD NML / WIA POW / (11-2 flamer – 1 NML = 8 bruised) (2-1 Flamer – 1 bruised +1 NML = -1) POW out for the campaign
    Josef Klingenschmidt (Fokker) / RTB / - /
    Alfred Engelfried (Albatros Pilot) / SD NML / KIA / (5-2 flamer -1 NML=2 KIA)
    August Deilman (Albatros Observer) / SD NML / WIA / (6-2 flamer -1 NML=3 severely injured) (6-1 Flamer – 1 severely injured +1 NML = 5 In hiding) (d6 result 4, d2 result 1 = 5 out 5 scenarios)

Attachment 138904

Attachment 138905

Balloon (right) 1 / SD FT / - / parachuted to safety (11-3 explosion = 8 bruised)
    Balloon (right) 2 / SD FT / KIA / killed in explosion (5-3 explosion = 2 KIA)
    Balloon (center) 1 / SD FT / - / parachuted to safety
    Balloon (center) 2 / SD FT / - / parachuted to safety
    Balloon (left) 1 / SD FT / - / parachuted to safety
    Balloon (left) 2 / SD FT / - / parachuted to safety

Attachment 138906

Attachment 138907

Attachment 138908

Notes:
    The plane flown by Smith with Jace as Observer actually took a 2C damage when the balloon exploded.

Not pictured is Klingenschmidt's plane which had 1J, 0, 0 total 1 damage

Also, I know we were supposed to roll damage against the balloons, but I wanted to see if I could take them down the normal way in the length of the scenario.

MISTAKE!
    I got so engrossed in the scenario that I forgot the Albatros. Diamond and MacCoul were the only two RFC planes on the map; the two Fe's had left prior turn 10. I glanced through the scenario and realized I hadn't placed the Albatros yet. So on it went at a level below what Diamond was flying at and I ran the remainder of the scenario from there.
    Last edited by WWIflyingace; 08-02-2014 at 15:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Great report but can't see pics only 4 numbers where pics should be.
    Wow! You're quick! I write the AAR and then save it with placeholders for the pictures. Then I add the pictures. Patience, they're coming!

Awesome report and some great shooting! I was worried that the mission would be too hard, but you cleaned up!

Quote Originally Posted by rkwright View Post
    Awesome report and some great shooting! I was worried that the mission would be too hard, but you cleaned up!
    I really, really enjoyed this scenario. Thank you!

Top shooting, top team you are becoming. I'll delay comments in the future until pics are posted, apologies.
    See you on the Dark Side......

A real progression of fire flame and explosions.
    Well done to your Flight once again Chuck.
    Rob..
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Lets hope we all find it that easy, though I hear Brians jinx took affect !

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Lets hope we all find it that easy, though I hear Brians jinx took affect !
    Nice AAR and congrats on your success Chuck - as Flash says, mine was successful but the ground fire was ....... horrid. Will try and post tomorrow

Well flown Chuck, Nice bit of shooting by your boys, your flight is going places :

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Good story telling as ever chuck.
    your boys are lucky blighters!
    Send some my way, my chaps are wearing out shoe leather far too quickly!

Love the story Chuck, the pictures are excellent, this is another superb AAR, thanks.

Thanks Trev, you are too kind!

Similar Missions

1. BRF OTT The Early Doors Mission 4 - Verdun - 21st April 1916
    By rkwright in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 11-26-2014, 19:20
  2. AAR The Early Doors Mission 3 - Pricking the Sausage - 29 March 1916 (Chuck)
    By WWIflyingace in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-17-2014, 22:44
  3. AAR OTT Early Doors Mission 2 - Change of Tactics - Early February 1916
    By Teaticket in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-03-2014, 10:14
  4. AAR OTT Early Doors Mission 2 - Change of Tactics - Early February 1916
    By johnbiggles in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-03-2014, 09:41
  5. Replies: 13