Thread: R.I.P Don Bonner: (LGKR) 1963 - 2012

Post R.I.P Don Bonner: (LGKR) 1963 - 2012

Name: Don
    1963-2012
    User Name: LGKR
    Total Posts: 427
    Aerial Victories: 21
    Medals:

Don was an avid game player and a regular contributor to this site, because in his words “It’s the best game I have ever played.”

He was one of the two co-founders of the Traverse City Wings of War League (Now Wings of Glory) and helped to develop a set of house rules that allows groups of players track and improve individual pilots in an ongoing series of “One Off” style games. For the last three years of his life he was part of the core team that helped keep the League meeting almost every Tuesday night since it began in 2009. His quick wit and friendly manner always made new players feel welcome and accepted at any gaming table.

His talent for graphic arts is well known to most Aerodrome members as the file area has many of his works included in it. It was obvious where his talent came from when he proudly talked about his paternal father Don Greer the aviation artist who produced most of the artwork for the Squadron Signal series of books on military aircraft. He also had the wonderful ability to simplify the explanation of game rules so that even people new to gaming could grasp the concepts, as can be witnessed in his many posts on the Aerodrome site.

Although never in the military he always had the utmost respect for anyone who had or were serving in the military. He felt that war games were the best way to convey what members of the armed services experienced to the general public, especially young people. He felt that playing historical games would promote an interest in school aged children to find out more about historical conflicts than just the dry information about dates, locations, and who won or lost taught in most schools that almost nobody remembers. He always said, ”I wish they had taught me this in school” when he found a new fact.

Don is survived by his wife Kim, and two sons Ivan and Jarred. His contributions to our hobby will be missed here at the Aerodrome as well as his other gaming project Gaming for a Cure. It is an organization that puts on an annual public gaming event in Traverse City to raise money for cancer research. He will also be missed around many gaming tables in his home town.
    Rest in Peace Don.

The LGKR memorial medal minted in his honor and award to those that participated in the fundraising raffle to help his family in their time of loss:

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...ity-WoG-League
    Last edited by flash; 06-30-2023 at 10:32.

Similar Missions

1. BGGCON 2012 - Dallas (17 Nov 2012)
    By freebird-52 in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-25-2012, 12:13
  2. National: 1° luglio 2012
    By gandalfo71 in forum Italian Wing
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 07-16-2012, 00:35
  3. South England Broadside 2012
    By flash in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 4