Ares Games
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: B-17s and Lancasters now available for pre-orders!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Recently I made the mistake of ordering in Aust with all the details they had they still sent it to the wrong address and in a different state.I finaly got my models and the store made it up to me, but it is not the first time this has happend in Aust, but I have learnt my lesson, bugger supporting LGS I am only ordering from Keith from now on.
    Sorry to hear you had issue with your LGS Alastair, and thanks for the vote of confidence with AA.

As stated lesson learned and pre order for the next set with Keith so I know I will get them when released.

There's been talk for a while about the Heinkels being over gunned, and the B17's are definitely stronger, I would like to know more about how the maths was worked out for the A and B damage decks. My assumption is that they were figured out based on forward firing guns from fighter planes. Should they be actually a different formula when figuring guns from the less stable turrets on a bomber? ie, surely aiming at nightfighters while your lancaster corkscrews was a challenging task..
    I am wondering if I want the A deck to reflect more misses when I'm attacking B17's. Especially when the altitude rules are not in effect, and you are less able to replicate 'diving through formations'

Thoughts?

I modify my bombers to the period that I am playing. For example I have reduced the the armament for my BoB Heinkels. whereas my my Heinkles for the Russian front are the snow cammo ones and I use these as issued. Just because a model has set armament on it does not mean you cannot change it to suit the period you are playing. I know it does sound obvious, but I think it is a point that has been missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Sorry to hear you had issue with your LGS Alastair, and thanks for the vote of confidence with AA.
    I am quite fussy about ordering my mins and as I am retired I have to count every dollar, and I do not like being stuffed around. Although mistakes happen from time to time (which I am prepared to accept particularly if Australia post is involved). However Keith I have never had a problem with the products or time sent from AA. So thanks for a great service.

Like Barry I am useing my "Mephis Bell" for the Pacific converted it to an E model long range recon unit based at Ohau few gun modifications and change of decales, just the job.

Has anyone noticed that B-17 miniatures wings have an important Dihedral angle compared to the B-17 front view scheme ?
    Or does it only concern the mini that I purchased ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p1070018.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	157123

Name:	Boeing_B-17G3v.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	140.3 KB 
ID:	157125
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 300px-Boeing_B-17G.png  

Quote Originally Posted by monse View Post
    Has anyone noticed that B-17 miniatures wings have an important Dihedral angle compared to the B-17 front view scheme ?
    Or does it only concern the mini that I purchased ?

Name:	p1070018.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	157123

Name:	Boeing_B-17G3v.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	140.3 KB 
ID:	157125
    I don't own the mini personally but perhaps it depends on the variant? A few schemes I've looked at seem to have a bit steeper of an angle than the scheme you posted. Though none seem to be as extreme as the picture of the mini. Interesting note!

it does seem a bit extreme

I have my B17's in my lounge room and walk past them many times a day. They are next to the Lancasters which have very little dihedral, and I often notice it. I had never guessed it could be inaccurate though! Funny you should bring this up, I had thought about it just this morning.

The dihedral on the B-17 should be 4.5 degrees... and the dihedral angle on the outer wings of the Lancaster should be 7 degrees. I don't have the models in front of me... but I'm certainly going to take a closer look when I can.

So... as far as it looks to my increasingly poor eyes, the B-17 model has a little too much dihedral (upward slope), whereas the Lancaster model doesn't have nearly enough. In fact, the Lancaster is missing it's somewhat "gull-shaped" wing shape (inner wing almost no dihedral, outer wing upwards at 7 degrees) completely.

Is it noticeable to someone who's familiar with either aircraft and looking for it...? I'd have to say yes. Is it going to bother me now that I know...? Maybe for a little, but I hope not for too long as life's too short. Will the average-man-on-the-street recognize that the models aren't, perhaps, exactly to spec...? Probably not.

Fair point, not really enough to stop me from buying one or two in the future either.

Yes, they are off... but they still look real good to me as gaming minis.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Yes, they are off... but they still look real good to me as gaming minis.
    My thoughts exactly. I have no regrets concerning my purchase.

My assumption about the lack of dihedral on the Lancaster is that it has more to do with manufacturing concerns/costs than accuracy, and this isn't the first B-17 model to overdue the dihedral, and it probably won't be the last.

...and in about a week, Clipper will have pics of these minis with "correct" dihedral.... :)

Still, could be worse.... >:)

You should compare the miniature to a B17 in flight with a full bombload.

You'll see it fits.

What a about "Grog's the Shots" rear gun armament?

Do I need to askt the question at BGG to get an answer?

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...caster-bombers
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Sorry, I did not see the question. Alas, it seems that the statistics for firecones 2 and 3 on grog the shot's cards and bases were inverted - the B at short range should be for cone 3, not for 2.

The dihedral on a Lancaster was even more pronounced when it was carrying a Grand Slam bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by Xen View Post
    Finally got my bombers! whoo! 1 of each, but Im tempted to get a few more Lancs.

Out of interest, I noticed the B17's have 2x VI tokens printed, and no IV token. Anyone else notice that?
    Yes! A few years after your very just observation; it is true that when all the pawns are un-punched, it is not noticed but by looking if everything is complete I saw the error ...

Name:	B-17 pas de IV.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	301351

I would want to be crewman No.4 - immune to wounds!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Well seen. Never noticed it.
    A load of small production issues struck these Lancaster and B.17 miniatures.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    it seems that the statistics for firecones 2 and 3 on grog the shot Lancaster cards and bases were inverted - the B at short range should be for cone 3, not for 2.

chee911sc : beautiful " adjustment" shot

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Similar Missions

1. B-17s and Lancasters are next WGS release....
    By P-51D in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 11-12-2013, 23:22
  2. Pre orders of Tripes
    By tikkifriend in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-12-2013, 05:54
  3. Polish orders
    By Marechallannes in forum Polish Wing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-29-2012, 12:54
  4. Czech orders