Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Official Curtiss P-36 Hawk Painting Thread

Default Official Curtiss P-36 Hawk Painting Thread

Couldn't locate a thread for these my apologies if I'm wrong.

Courtesy of Womble (Ian) for the decals and OldGuy59 (Mike) for the aircraft cards (paint scheme) here are 4 of the 5 P36's that engaged the Japanese forces at Pearl Harbor.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040572 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	388 
Size:	145.2 KB 
ID:	137322Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040573 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	386 
Size:	161.9 KB 
ID:	137323Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040574 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	148.0 KB 
ID:	137324Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040575 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	386 
Size:	165.4 KB 
ID:	137326Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040578 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	172.9 KB 
ID:	137329
    Last edited by flash; 07-14-2014 at 11:46. Reason: expand title
    See you on the Dark Side......

Very nice! Currently a fave plane of mine!

excellent work Neil, really good looking flight

Nice work, Neil; P-36s are on my current wish list.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

To whomever, thank you for amending the title to it's correct, full title. Lazy of me I know but thank you all the same.

Neil

Nice looking P36's Neil, could fancy a couple of those. The decals a excellent, the U S Army underneath the wings make them complete

It is always great to see a whole Flight in action Neil, especially when they are as attractive as these.
    Looks as if Kyto in his Torpedo Bomber is in trouble next time we meet up.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Yep, I likes them.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Great looking flight Neil! Who makes these?

Armaments In Miniature. Aerodrome Accessories for bases. Cards on the site.

http://armamentsinminiature.com/

I now have 16. 4 Kates, 4 P36, 4 Devastator and 4 Dauntless.

Great looking planes.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Great looking flight Neil! Who makes these?

Go Get 'em boys! Nice looking aircraft you've got there.

'Armaments In Miniature. Aerodrome Accessories for bases. Cards on the site.'

Thanks. Those AIM planes look great. You really finished them up nicely. AIM goes to the big US cons. I'll have to pick up a few of their Pacific planes in November
    when they'll be at Fall In.

Not knowing anything about the P-36 I looked it up. Interesting to note some were used by France in 1940. The Germans sent several dozen of the ones they captured to Finland. I had no idea the French used US planes. They got around.

Miscellaneous Miniatures
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kevin
    Sorties Flown

Default Ones sent to Finland

I haven't painted my French Hawks yet but here's one that went to Finland.

Name:	IMG_7166 (800x600).jpg 
Views:	344 
Size:	258.0 KB 
ID:	147988
    Last edited by flash; 01-10-2018 at 23:08.

Thats a beauty! Can't wait to go to Fall In in November and pick up some. I'm going to do a few for for France, maybe a couple for the far east.

Another very smart paint job Kevin.
    Rob.

Kevin,
    You are a damn good artist!! You just cant stop painting amazing planes!!!
    I would give you REP but I just gave it some minutes ago!
    Thanks

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by miscmini View Post
    I haven't painted my French Hawks yet but here's one that went to Finland.
    Hawk 75, but before or after 1942?
    Before all armament was .303/7mm, after some were single or double .50/12.7mm fuselage guns. Big difference in firepower.

What squadron and pilot?

A Hawk 75A from LeLv 32?

Name:	Hawk75_Yellow4.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	9.2 KB 
ID:	148061
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 10-16-2014 at 09:30.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Miscellaneous Miniatures
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kevin
    Sorties Flown

Default Nationalist Chinese livery

Here are a couple of P-36s finished in Nationalist Chinese livery. These are 1/200 scale resin minis from Armaments in Miniature. I used Vallejo Model Color paints (Brown Violet, Russian Uniform, and Sky Gray). The national markings on the wing and the fuselage numbers are I-94 Enterprise decals. The tail markings are decals I made. The models are not specific to any pilot.

Name:	20150429_163624 (750x1000).jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	150.2 KB 
ID:	163606Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150429_163611 (750x1000).jpg 
Size:	159.4 KB 
ID:	163607

That makes a refreshingly different paint scheme Kevin.
    Rob.

My AIM P-36 are ready for the Pacific conflict. Later I'll have to buy some more for l'Armée de l'Air and the Invasion of France. They're just too good.

The AIM models are awesome.

And the decals are perfect.

Now I just need some P-36 cards.

And we're ready to roll.

Again a cracking group of aircraft Quim.
    I'm sure that if you speak nicely to someone they will do you a card as soon as they get the time.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Again a cracking group of aircraft Quim.
    I'm sure that if you speak nicely to someone they will do you a card as soon as they get the time.
    Rob.
    Thanks, my friend. I'll do that.

Nice job on those Hawks Joaquim! I wonder why some of the plane's underneath part is chromed and the others not. (i feel like I comitted some typos in this sentence :P sorry)

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post

Not knowing anything about the P-36 I looked it up. Interesting to note some were used by France in 1940. The Germans sent several dozen of the ones they captured to Finland. I had no idea the French used US planes. They got around.
    Yep, the P-36 has an ingeresting story with the French. I've read a book that tells some stories about them, and, although they were outnumbered and underpowered, they did quite a good job. The book says that, from Sepetember 3, 1939 to June 23, 1940, the French fighter aviation (less than 500 planes) shot down a thousand german aircraft, losing up to 200 pilots.

Thanks my friend! Long time no see you!
    The Battle of France is a very interesting one. The French Army was good. The French mind set and Command Officers were outdated.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    Thanks my friend! Long time no see you!
    Thanks! I've uploaded a thread telling about my back (lol) and some news... Well very basic news but still!

The Battle of France is a very interesting one. The French Army was good. The French mind set and Command Officers were outdated.
    Very true. Unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by miscmini View Post
    Here are a couple of P-36s finished in Nationalist Chinese livery. These are 1/200 scale resin minis from Armaments in Miniature. I used Vallejo Model Color paints (Brown Violet, Russian Uniform, and Sky Gray). The national markings on the wing and the fuselage numbers are I-94 Enterprise decals. The tail markings are decals I made. The models are not specific to any pilot.

Name:	20150429_163624 (750x1000).jpg 
Size:	150.2 KB 
ID:	163606

Name:	P-36AHawk_AVG 1st.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	179.2 KB 
ID:	203874
    Last edited by flash; 01-10-2018 at 23:09.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    My AIM P-36 are ready for the Pacific conflict. Later I'll have to buy some more for l'Armée de l'Air and the Invasion of France. They're just too good.
    It has been a while since your post but I am looking forward to seeing your French Hawks Joaquim, make sure you do post some images when they are done.

Gentlemen,
    may I present to you:
    2 Curtiss Hawk H75A-7 of the Netherlands East Indies Air Force (NEIAF).

Name:	040.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	238192

Name:	041.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	238193

Name:	042.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	238194

Name:	043.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	238195

The liveries are based on the ones used by 1-VLG-IV (1e Afdeling VLiegtuig Groep IV = 1st Sqn 4th Fighter Wing), based at Madioen, Java, Netherlands East Indies during December 1941 / January / February 1942.
    One of their planes was flown by 1st Lt Boxman (later to rise to the rank of Colonel).
    The planes are Shapeways (FUD), decals Shed models and stands are Litko.
    I hope to show them to you in action soon

And btw: anyone willing to make me a card (D, firepower B/A, damage 17) for them ?

Hope you like them,
    cheers,
    Guus
    Last edited by Aardvark1430; 04-30-2020 at 04:17.
    "zet 'm op ... witte muizen !" (strijdkreet van 1e JaVa, Luchtvaart Afdeling, Nederland 1940)
    "let's go get them ... white mice !" (battlecry of the 1st Fighter Group, Army Air Force, Netherlands 1940)

Great looking models, Guus. Love the crisp lines.

I've not worked with FUD... is it worth the cost relative to WSF?

Hi Chris,
    I certainly recommend FUD, much crisper and not the grainy surface the "normal" models have.
    There is a downside though ... they not too sturdy. A plane like my Hawks does not have many small details so there it is not a problem. A biplane, hmmm

Btw glad you like my work on these planes.

Cheer,
    Guus

added text: I find the better models are certainly worth the higher price !
    Last edited by Aardvark1430; 12-24-2017 at 13:33.
    "zet 'm op ... witte muizen !" (strijdkreet van 1e JaVa, Luchtvaart Afdeling, Nederland 1940)
    "let's go get them ... white mice !" (battlecry of the 1st Fighter Group, Army Air Force, Netherlands 1940)

Wonderful planes as usual Guus.

I'm in the slow purchasing phase of building my KNIL force. I have some CW-21bs, Buffalos, Hurricanes and Hawk 75s. Still have to get a couple of Martin 139s, a Do 24T, a Koolhoven-FK51 and a Catalina. I want to do a Java campaign.

I go with AIM first, Shapeways as the last resort but they do a lot of planes no one else does. That said, Shapeways is the only place I know of the get a 1/200 Do 24T.

The only book I have with color profiles for the KNIL is AIRFILE, Pearl Harbor to Coral Sea.(in the book reviews) All of the top down views show no upper wing national emblems. I think it looks sharper with them as you have. Maybe I'll do some with and some without. What is your source for color schemes in the Pacific?

Hi Peter,
    nice to know you like my work ! That's a compliment, Thanks.
    I've seen no reference of the Curtiss-Wright 21B's ever having been used in action. Of course this doesn't mean the never were ... However, there is a source stating some off the CW-22 (the 2-seater) were given some kind of crop-dusting equipment ... Another source states that the NEI government purchased some chemical plants with gas producing capability ... makes you think what if ...
    Buffalos most certainly were used, even some taken over from the Brits. Some 20 Hurricanes Mk IIB were handed over to the NEIAF after the fall of Singapore, but again apart from repainting and training flights they don't seem to have been flown in anger. Hawk 75A-7 also flew many missions, with considerable less success than the Buffaloes. The Glenn Martins were used in penny packets and also didn't have much success in spite of the undeniable courage of their crews.
    No reference of Koolhovens being used in battle either (as far as I know). Catalina's fought well (mostly recce and bombing) as did the Dorniers, even sinking some ships.
    I have a Catalina from shapeways. Not a bad model, alas I went for the non FUD variant. Halfway on the paintjob I find the result not good enough. I'll try an AIM version next. I also have the Dornier Do.24 from Shapeways in FUD (expensive !), which is very nice. I haven't started the painting yet, I'm afraid I'll ruin it ...
    I have the same airfile book. I also have a book called "De geschiedenis van camouflage en kentekens op vliegtuigen van de Nederlandse strijdkrachten 1912 - 1999" (History of camouflage and insignia on airplanes of the Dutch armed forces 1912-1999). A standard work of almost 300 pages of very detailed info. Next to that I use several other books in which pics of the NEIAF in period appear and pictures foun on the internet.
    And you're right, after december 1941 the NEIAF did not use orange upperwing triangles nor orange rudders. However I like the orange triangles so I kept them (for aesthetics sake ), omitted the orange rudder though (for historical reasons ).

cheers,
    Guus

ps
    THANKS for the REP

ps2:
    I can also recommend a French book, which I have, dedicated to the Buffalo, with a rather large chapter on Dutch Buffaloes: "Le Brewster Buffalo" by Jean-Louis Couston et Michel Ledet, publishers "lela presse", serie "Collection Profils Avions No. 8"
    www.avionsbateaux.com

ps 3:
    website doesn't exist anymore, sorry
    Last edited by Aardvark1430; 12-24-2017 at 14:57. Reason: added ps 2

Thanks for the book reference. Sadly I am saddled with English as my only language.

What I have seen does say the CW-21bs did in fact fight in the Pacific. Not a lot of info but a confirmation 'HERE' that they saw action.

A Koolhoven I was going to use as an observation plane, basically a target for the Japanese!

I plan on getting the Do-24 in WSF. I am afraid of FUDs brittle nature, and at that price...
    I have one Catalina in WSF that I am quite happy with. That one is painted for the USA.(its in the showcase) I think my next one will be an AIM model.

Any new and different planes to paint and fly I do find exciting. I had bookmarked a website that listed all of the planes in the Java area but, as I just went to it, it has gone away!(like your Buffalo site!) The list of planes I wish to get came from that site. I hope to find the information it had again.

My rendition of some Dutch Hawk 75A-7s. These don’t have the wing guns, but I’ve got a good imagination. It’s what’s available from AIM, amd as usual, they’re great models.

I’ve got the natural metal delivery scheme, the plain OD and full camo variants. The pictures don’t show the weathering very well, but the camo plane is very heavily weathered. I resisted (with a trembling hand) weathering the OD scheme plane as I like my my machines looking used. I guess they looked nice and clean at some point, and I’m shooting for variety here.

Name:	34873667-95FC-411B-B0C5-D40E1BCF5134.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	285289

Here are some Hawks I did.

Name:	IMG_8232.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	285290
    THAI P-36K. Fixed landing gear. Shapeways model.

Name:	IMG_8236.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	285291
    Dutch (not as good as yours) AIM

Name:	IMG_8241.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	285292
    French, AIM. MISCMINI decals.

Looks good Bob! My rep gun is jammed.

Great hawks guys. My REP gun is working. Lots of versions I want to do! Chinese, KNIL and French for sure. If I ever get to Finland...

You are all so good at painting your models. Well done all of you!

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    You are all so good at painting your models. Well done all of you!
    What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Here is the first of three cards I am making for my Dutch H75A-7s as painted above.

Name:	Card - Curtis Hawk Dutch OD.png 
Views:	99 
Size:	776.3 KB 
ID:	286617
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Card - Curtis Hawk Dutch OD.png  
    Last edited by Dak21; 04-29-2020 at 21:18. Reason: Better job on canopy

Here is the camo version without insignia.

Name:	Card - Curtis Hawk Dutch Camo.png 
Views:	98 
Size:	780.1 KB 
ID:	286618
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Card - Curtis Hawk Dutch Camo.png  
    Last edited by Dak21; 04-29-2020 at 21:19.

Last but not least, natural metal. I had a hard time with the color on this one.

Name:	Card - Curtis Hawk Dutch Natural Metal.png 
Views:	101 
Size:	757.9 KB 
ID:	286619
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Card - Curtis Hawk Dutch Natural Metal.png  
    Last edited by Dak21; 04-29-2020 at 21:20. Reason: Better job on canopy

nice planes, nice cards Dave. Well done
    BTW: Could you do me a favour and make me a card of the camo version with orange triangles ? With the text "I VLG IV, NEIAF" and "Madioen, Java" ? See post 29 in this thread ... Would be highly appreciated !!

cheers,
    Guus

Quote Originally Posted by Aardvark1430 View Post
    nice planes, nice cards Dave. Well done
    BTW: Could you do me a favour and make me a card of the camo version with orange triangles ? With the text "I VLG IV, NEIAF" and "Madioen, Java" ? See post 29 in this thread ... Would be highly appreciated !!

cheers,
    Guus
    Certainly!

Name:	Card - Curtis Hawk Dutch Camo with insignia.png 
Views:	96 
Size:	578.4 KB 
ID:	286625

Wow ! That's fast
    Just one little point if you don't mind ... it's NEIAF (Netherlands East Indies Air Force), you missed the "A"...
    Otherwise just what I needed
    cheers,
    Guus

Great cards Dave. This puts pressure on me to get my Hawks painted.

Really nice cards, Dave!
    Mike

It took some searching, but I found my Model 75's! I remember making a ton of them in the day . . .

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...-75-Conversion

One of the reasons there are very few P-40's around . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Aardvark1430 View Post
    Wow ! That's fast
    Just one little point if you don't mind ... it's NEIAF (Netherlands East Indies Air Force), you missed the "A"...
    Otherwise just what I needed
    cheers,
    Guus
    The devil is in the details! With the magic of Photoshop, once you go through the rather painful process of getting a clean one line drawing and setting up the cards, small changes are pretty easy.

Name:	Card - Curtis Hawk Dutch Camo with insignia.png 
Views:	81 
Size:	578.8 KB 
ID:	286637

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Official RAF BE 2a/b/c/d painting thread
    By 144sram in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 131
    Last Post: 02-14-2024, 01:15
  2. Official RAF FE8 Painting Thread