Ares Games
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wings of War series 5 miniatures

Default Wings of War series 5 miniatures

Here is what I've been able to find out about series 5 miniatures so far. They are do out some time in the first half of 2010 and will include these planes...

Morane Saulnier N

Fokker E.III

Airco DH.2

Halberstadt D.III
    No official WoW artwork available right now. Sorry.

Note that these images are not necessarily the paint jobs that will be on the minis, I just wanted to show what the plans look like as already drawn for WoW.

Some new artwork sent to by by Andrea, enjoy:

UPDATE

Excellent news. The DH2 and the EIII are some of the iconic early planes that defined this period, can't wait to get them in mini form!

Yeah nice to see some planes from an earlier period of the war.

They just what I want so every encouragment must be given to the manufactures to produce them. I will be after 2 of each at least

Users Country Flag

Name
    John
    Sorties Flown

Can't wait to buy these.

Can't wait! I have something of a collector's mania, and these will hit the spot.

I imagine that the DH2's tail assembly will be quite fragile and we will have to be very careful taking it out of the box.

When will we be getting a Bristol F2b Fighter, I wonder?

Naharaht, Andrea recently told me that the Bristol F2B Fighter will be released as a card in the Hit & Run booster pack. Look for it to come out between Series 4 and Series 5 miniatures.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    Naharaht, Andrea recently told me that the Bristol F2B Fighter will be released as a card in the Hit & Run booster pack. Look for it to come out between Series 4 and Series 5 miniatures.
    Bring on the Brisfits!

Users Country Flag

Name
    James
    Sorties Flown

Im very much looking forward to the early fighters as well. But i am especially looking forward to the Brisfit

Default early planes

Looking forward to the early planes. Especially the DH.2. I wish there was a Sopwith Triplane.

Name
    Victor
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Dimetri1 View Post
    Looking forward to the early planes. Especially the DH.2. I wish there was a Sopwith Triplane.
    Play a Dr.I with a "B" gun.

Quote Originally Posted by krolik View Post
    Play a Dr.I with a "B" gun.
    I want a model.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimetri1 View Post
    I want a model.
    Don't we all!

Don't we all!
    Yes!!!

Name
    Victor
    Sorties Flown

Don't we all!
    I don't.

I've already got one.

I know that Pendraken miniature make a bisfit in 10mm scale. I have not seen it but it may be worth looking at.

Nice pioneer-era planes, Halberstad III sounds most interesting. Early fighters weren't fast so there won't be any miracle movers. And that DH.2 may really be quite fragile...

StormforceX

Talking

DH 2, my favourite plane, can't wait!

Manners

I want an Airco - bigtime!

Col with all the other new releases planed for the year (as welcome as they are) when are we going to see the release of the Series 5 miniatures with the DH2; & Fockker Einedeckers, as these are the models I am wating for the most?

I would say late 4th quarter based on their "schedule"... personally I would say 1st quarter of next year. I sure hope they prove me wrong though!

Thanks Col that is bad news

Users Country Flag

Name
    Eric
    Sorties Flown

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Thanks Col that is bad news
    On the contrary: I am glad that so many pßrojects are in the pipeline and hope for more to come.
    Of course I am as impatient as anybody else to put the new modells into use on the table.

But the important thing is the will come .... someday.....

Fantastic! My wallet can hardly wait!

Awesome find!!

Cheers,
    Ed

I would say late 4th quarter based on their "schedule"... personally I would say 1st quarter of next year. I sure hope they prove me wrong though!
    Based on what I've seen over the past few years, I'd say the first quarter of next year is being very optimistic. I would guess the third quarter at best. It would be interesting to have an inside view to see how things are done at Nexus and the manufacturer in China.

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    Based on what I've seen over the past few years, I'd say the first quarter of next year is being very optimistic. I would guess the third quarter at best. It would be interesting to have an inside view to see how things are done at Nexus and the manufacturer in China.
    I agree - the Nexus schedule is so far out of reality, that one can never actually plan around it. I too wonder how Nexus works with it.

Not that it's the end of the world, I always end up buying whatever they put out.

Default What Pilots???

I'm more excited about this set than any set so far. I wonder who the pilots will be. The Eindeckers? Udet, Immelmann, Boelke? Andrea was looking for info from Greg VanWyngarten and Dan-San at the aerodrome about the Halberstadt back in 07. Who would be good for the Morane Saulnier N's? Roland Garros? Lanoe Hawker is a sure thing for the D.H.2 but i dont know who else. Ideas? Andrea, have any decisions been made?

DH.2 aces

Distinguished pilots of the DH.2 included Victoria Cross winner Lanoe Hawker (eight victories), who was the first commander of No 24 Squadron and ace Alan Wilkinson. The commander of No. 32 Squadron, Lionel Rees won the Victoria Cross flying the D.H.2 for single handedly attacking a formation of 10 German two-seaters on 1 July 1916, destroying two.[7] James McCudden became an ace in DH.2s to start his career as the Commonwealth's fourth ranking ace of the war.[13]

German ace and tactician Oswald Boelcke was killed during a dogfight with No. 24 Squadron D.H.2s, however, this was due to a collision with one of his own wingmen, Erwin Böhme.

Fourteen aces scored five or more aerial victories using the DH.2; many went on to further success in later types also. They are listed below, followed by the number of their victories in the DH.2:[14]

* Patrick Anthony Langan-Byrne -->10 victories
    * Alan Wilkinson --> 10 victories
    * Selden Long --> 9 victories
    * Arthur Gerald Knight --> 8 victories
    * Eric C. Pashley --> 8 victories
    * John Oliver Andrews --> 7 victories
    * Sidney Cowan --> 7 victories
    * Hubert Jones --> 7 victories
    * William Curphey --> 6 victories
    * Stanley Cockerell --> 5 victories
    * Henry Evans --> 5 victories
    * James McCudden --> 5 victories
    * Robert Saundby --> 5 victories
    * Harry Wood --> 5 victories[15]

So far almost all of the miniatures have been based on previously published cards. Almost all examples of these planes are in the the Immelmann pack (there are 4 unknown pilot Halberstadts in Watch Your Back.)

Here's the list:

Fokker E.III
    Max Immelmann
    Ernst Udet
    Hans Joachim Buddecke
    Ludwig Hautzmayer (A.III)
    Marko Parvanov
    Max Immelmann (E.IV)
    Oswald Boelke (E.IV)
    Otto Parschan (E.IV)

RAF D.H.2
    Lanoe George Hawker
    John Oliver Andrews
    Robert Henry Magnus Spencer Saundby
    William George Sellar Curphey

Morane Saulnier Type N
    Jean Navarre
    Eugene Gilbert
    Jean Chaput
    Tone Hippolyte Paul Bayetto
    N. P. Kisilevich

Halberstadt D.III
    Otto Bernert
    4 unknown pilots

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jeremy
    Sorties Flown

I don't have the immelmann pack yet. Could someone tell me what the damage deck, hit points, and movement decks are for those?

Fokker E.III:11 hits, B damage, P-deck (~ slow Nieuport)
    A.III is the same, E.IV uses the G-deck and has either AB damage (draws both A and B card) or A damage.
    Halberstadt D.III:14 hits, mostly B damage (one A), G-deck (~slow Spad)
    Morane-Saulnier:10 hits, B damage, P-deck
    Airco DH2:13 hits, B damage, G-deck

By slow I mean around half a card length straights, and all of the above have terrible climb rates (5-6).

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jeremy
    Sorties Flown

Thanks!

Default That it starting with the real first fighters

YES YES YES YES I might have to buy some of these.

Will have to get some of these... budget is gonna be evil tho....

McCudden would be nice for the D.H.2, even though he isn't a card yet. Immelmann Boelke and Udet are all so similar for the Eindeckers, it seems like it would be nice to have some variance.

Andrea sent me some new artwork of the Type N... it's been added to the first post. Enjoy!

Andrea sent me some new artwork of the Type N... it's been added to the first post. Enjoy!
    Thanks for the posting Col.
    Whets the old appitite. What.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I just hope we don't starve to death waiting on them! lol

It really looks very promessing. I Can't wait to start flying these planes when they come out.

As you may have noticed, i am laying in stores of Skytrex to tide me over the famine.
    Rob.

In this case, I approve of snacking before the main course is served...this looks great!

To be honest, I like the later planes better than the early ones, but that's just me.

Hunter

Default Andrea

I am so excited about these planes! I really would like to see who has been chosen as the pilots, or who is being discussed. In the D.H.2s Lanoe Hawker is an obvious choice. I really want to point out the merits of including James T. B. McCudden.
    McCudden became an ace flying the DH 2. He is the only one who did so and remained a top ace at the end of the war. Although he was killed on 9 July 1918 at the ripe old age of 23, his tally of 56 victories seats him 7th among all WWI pilots. McCudden and his 56th Squadron are responsible for downing the great Verner Voss in what may be described as the most incredible single dogfight in all of history. This guy should be included in the game, and his only other main type of plane is the Se5a, which has already been done as a model. There is a limited number of famous aces for whom the DH 2 was an important aircraft. Let's make James T. B. McCudden's plane one of the 3 Airco D.H. 2 models in Wings of War.
    I love this game. Thank you for making it! ~Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Aero825 View Post
    To be honest, I like the later planes better than the early ones, but that's just me.

Hunter
    Don't worry Hunter, they are an aquired taste. They will just sneak up on you like the Red Barron,and before you know it you will be hooked.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jared
    Sorties Flown

I think the attraction lies in that they are so wonky looking, that they actually become beautiful.

Just found this on the TMP site

"I got this info from the WoW yahoo group, It lists whats coming in the next series for WW1.

Fokker E.III Oberleutnant Max Immelmann Feld Flieger Abteilung 62 Luftstreitskräfte
    Fokker E.III Hauptmann Hans Joachim Buddecke
    6 Bölük Kuvva-i Havvaiye
    Fokker A.III Leutnant Ludwig Hautzmayer
    Flik 19 Kaiserliche und Koenigliche Luftfahrtruppen

Halberstadt D.III – Kampfgeschwader II Luftstreitskräfte (Germany)
    Halberstadt D.III Hans Von Keudell Jasta I Luftstreitskräfte (Germany)
    Halberstadt D.III – - Kaiserliche und Koenigliche Luftfahrtruppen (Austria)

Morane-Saulnier Type N Adjutant Jean Navarre Escadrille MS 12 Aéronautique Militaire
    Morane-Saulnier Type N Sergent Eugène Gilbert
    Escadrille MS 23 Aéronautique Militaire
    Morane-Saulnier Type N Sergeant
    Jean Chaput Escadrille N31 Aéronautique Militaire

AIRCO D.H. 2 Major Lanoe George Hawker 24 Squadron Royal Flying Corps
    AIRCO D.H. 2 Captain John Oliver Andrews
    24 Squadron Royal Flying Corps
    AIRCO D.H. 2 Captain Robert Henry Magnus Spencer Saundby
    24 Squadron Royal Flying Corps"

Dont know how good the info is but looks good

Don

I'm so happy to have more early planes to choose from for our campaign (where you must begin with an early war plane and progress to later war planes). I know this is a silly question, but any idea when these will be released? Before or after the bombers?

Looking at the performance database, I'm pleased that the Allied and German planes in this set seem pretty close to each other in performance. Like Dave Zee, I'd like to get a couple so we can run some "early war" dogfights. Of course, I may simply buy whichever has the coolest paint schemes.

But I'm thinking one Halberstadt and one DH2 would be nice for me.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Welcome to the Wings of War Aerodrome
    By zMaint in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 83
    Last Post: 02-18-2021, 01:41
  2. The complete WWI Wings of War series - Detailed
    By Desaix in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 09-19-2016, 16:10
  3. Series 1 Miniatures Question
    By Walahalla in forum WGF: Rules Help