Ares Games
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 1903-1922 Request Thread

May be, but it is the answer I was looking for. Shapeways' internal processes can be...let's say convoluted, at times. Thanks.

I might request a Heinkel 12 float plane. For no other reason than to complete my line of Luft Hansa float mail planes.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	he12.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	209484

Quote Originally Posted by DarrylH View Post
    Here's a request for our Shapeways designers to consider: The Curtiss HS flying boat, which first flew in 1917.
    This one's been on the list for a while. I've got the HS-1L and HS-2L done and available in Shapeways, though I haven't gotten test prints back. Thanks to DarrylH for some source materials on those flying boats. Flying boats are a bit of a pain to model due to the complexity of the hull, but at least I don't have to spend time on an undercarriage. :-) (I also recently completed an American Liberty-engined DH4.)

Name:	HS1L - small.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	212506

And a PS to Zoe: I've got some source materials on the Halberstadt and Fokker biplanes coming from England, so with luck that will push a Halberstadt D.V to the front of the list.

Thank you, sir! Definitely going to be picking up a -1L in the near future; since the -2L probably didn't see combat service (although quite a few made it to France or were converted from HS-1Ls there before the Armistice), I'll hold off on that for now, although finding a suitable Presier figure to replace the -2L's bow gunner with a shirtless wise guy sailor and recreate the postwar picture over Pensacola would be fun .

Quote Originally Posted by ReducedAirFact View Post

And a PS to Zoe: I've got some source materials on the Halberstadt and Fokker biplanes coming from England, so with luck that will push a Halberstadt D.V to the front of the list.
    . THE FINAL FLIGHTS OF THE 1ST WORLD WAR
    With the 1st World War evidently drawing to a close in late October 1918 the last British air attack on Istanbul was made on the 25th. At time 1300 a report was received that a formation of 5 DH.9's was approaching the city. Five fighters from 9ncu Av. Böl. took off at 1315 to cut off the formation, Fazil in Albatros D.III, AKD29, Sgt. Vecihi in Nieuport 17, K1, Max Suchin in Halberstadt D.V, HK31 and the newly arrived German pilots Kretzner and ****mar in Fokker D.VII's. Shortly after take off, however, Max Suc*hin's engine quitted and he had to land. The two Germans, not particularly eager to fight in the last days of the war, searched for the enemy to the north. Fazil and Vecihi con*tinued alone and after 1 hour and 20 minutes in the air the enemy formation was sighted. At this time however, Vecihi was running out of fuel and had to return. Capt. Fazil, now single-handed, continued to engage the enemy and over the city of Istanbul in view of thousands of people he scat*tered the formation preventing the aircraft from reaching their targets. In the fight Fazil received three serious wounds, two in vital organs and one finger was shot of. In the British aircraft one observer was killed and another wounded.
    http://www.ole-nikolajsen.com/fazil.htm

Quote Originally Posted by DarrylH View Post
    Here's an obscure but interesting Imperial Russian aircraft for our Shapeways designers to consider. The Mosca MB 2bis was a smaller version of the MB two-seater. It was fitted with a more powerful engine, and armed with a single machine gun. It also had a folding wing that functioned in the same way as on its predecessor. The Mosca MB 2bis performed well in combat, despite the fact it was not equipped with synchronizer gear. Some Mosca MB 2bis had the gun installed to fire above propeller arc, while on others, the propeller blades were protected by bullet-reflectors similar to the ones used on the Morane Saulnier N. The aircraft was in production for more than two years; 50 planes were built until 1918, and some were even built after the Russian Revolution.
    Okay, I've been on a monoplane-design kick lately. So here's one for Russian aviation fans:

Name:	MoscaMBbis-400.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	215892

Smart looking plane Daryl.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I was thinking of revisiting the under-appreciated Brandenburg C.I. It's hard to understate this plane's importance to Austria-Hungary...about a quarter of the entire output of Austro-Hungarian planes over the war were C.I's. It was produced by three manufacturers (UFAG [58%], Phönix [35%], and Hansa-Brandenburg [6%]) in twenty Series, with seven different engines (160 & 200hp Daimler, 200 & 230hp Heiro, 220 & 250hp Benz, 160hp Mercedes), several options for a front gun (none/synchronized, VK gun cannister, and MWF top-wing mount), and models could show cowled and uncowled engines. Yet, as far as I know, the only models at 1:144 are colinwe's from a few years back.

If you have a request for a particular variant of the Brandenburg C.I, please let me know.

I wonder if we have performance figures for all the variants, if there was enough difference for the game engine to pick up on.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    I wonder if we have performance figures for all the variants, if there was enough difference for the game engine to pick up on. Karl
    I would think so. I've never delved into how the card-stats are determined, but the choice of engine on the C.I could affect the max speed from 140kph on the low end to 165kph on the high. Climb rate would vary from ~6 minutes to 1000m on the low end to ~4 minutes on the high end -- a pretty big jump.

I've discussed the Brandenburg C.I on this site before. I think the K deck would cover most.
    I have 2 but could always add another.
    Daryl, I recommend you add the way to see your most excellent aircraft on every post.

I would indulge in a flight of this one for my Austrians

Just thought to check the unofficial files; the Hansa-Brandenburg C.I is listed as having the Y deck, same as the Albatross C.III. Climb rate is 3.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

What about a Albatros D.III OAW (rounded tail)?

Quote Originally Posted by john snelling View Post
    What about a Albatros D.III OAW (rounded tail)?
    OAW Albatros: Already done! http://shpws.me/MFYn

Currently I'm working on a Hanriot HD.3, which only saw a little bit of combat (fully equipping one escadrille), but I think it would have been a crackerjack two-seater for what-if 1919 scenarios. It was fast (210kph, like a SPAD 13), compact, and probably very maneuverable, sported a 260hp engine, with twin guns both front and rear.

I would think so. I've never delved into how the card-stats are determined, but the choice of engine on the C.I could affect the max speed from 140kph on the low end to 165kph on the high. Climb rate would vary from ~6 minutes to 1000m on the low end to ~4 minutes on the high end -- a pretty big jump.
    See http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...do=file&id=959 for how the stats were derived. Although the tables are 6 years old now, they've stood the test of time pretty well.

I was thinking of revisiting the under-appreciated Brandenburg C.I. It's hard to understate this plane's importance to Austria-Hungary...about a quarter of the entire output of Austro-Hungarian planes over the war were C.I's. It was produced by three manufacturers (UFAG [58%], Phönix [35%], and Hansa-Brandenburg [6%]) in twenty Series, with seven different engines (160 & 200hp Daimler, 200 & 230hp Heiro, 220 & 250hp Benz, 160hp Mercedes), several options for a front gun (none/synchronized, VK gun cannister, and MWF top-wing mount), and models could show cowled and uncowled engines. Yet, as far as I know, the only models at 1:144 are colinwe's from a few years back.

If you have a request for a particular variant of the Brandenburg C.I, please let me know.
    All of them? For 1920 campaigns, all variants lacking the coffin up top were used by various sides at various times.

The two big problems are : first, getting reliable figures for speed and climb for each variant. All but a few would use the Y deck, the rest K, and climb from 3 to 5. Basically, the more hp the engine, the better the speed, but often the extra weight reduced rather than increased climb rate depending on altitude. Second, getting photos of all of the different engine variants. Only those radically different from others would need modelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    All of them? For 1920 campaigns, all variants lacking the coffin up top were used by various sides at various times.

The two big problems are : first, getting reliable figures for speed and climb for each variant. All but a few would use the Y deck, the rest K, and climb from 3 to 5. Basically, the more hp the engine, the better the speed, but often the extra weight reduced rather than increased climb rate depending on altitude. Second, getting photos of all of the different engine variants. Only those radically different from others would need modelling.
    Well, let's get started! My source is Austro-Hungarian Army Aircraft of World War One, Grosz, Haddow, & Schiemer. In brackets is my guess based on your chart -- feel free to correct.
    1. Brandenburg C.I(Ph) Series 26 (first Phönix series), 160hp Daimler engine: 140-145kph; climb to 1000m in 6:20 [Y,5]
    2. Brandenburg C.I(Ph) Series 27 (second Phönix series), 160hp Daimler: 141-148kph; climb 1000m in 5:30; 3000m in 26:05 [Y,5]
    3. Brandenburg C.I(Ph) Series 29.5 (third Phönix series), 200hp Hiero: 155-163kph; climb 1000m in 4:12; 2000m in 9:42; 3000m, 17:36; 4000m, 30:10; 5000m, 54:40. [K,5]
    4. Brandenburg C.I(Ph) Series 129&229, 200hp Hiero (fourth & fifth Phönix series): 155-159kph; 1000m in 3:58 [Y,4 or 5]
    5. Brandenburg C.I(Ph) Series 29, 200hp Daimler (sixth Phönix series): 154kph; 1000m in 4:50. [Y,5]
    6. Brandenburg C.I(Ph) Series 329, 200hp Hiero (seventh Phönix series): 145kph; 1000m in 4:30; 2000m, 8:55; 3000m, 13:55; 4000m, 18:55. [Y,5]
    7. Brandenburg C.I(Ph) Series 429, 230hp Hiero (eighth Phönix series): 160kph; 1000m in 4:58; 2000m, 10:15; 3000m, 18:51; 4000m, 31:42; 5000m, 58:48. [Y,5]
    8. Brandenburg C.I(U) Series 61 (first UFAG series), 160hp Daimler: 138kph; 1000m in 5:40. [XD,5]
    9. Brandenburg C.I(U) Series 64 (second UFAG series), 160hp Daimler: 138-140kph; 1000m in 6:55. [XD,6]
    10. Brandenburg C.I(U) Series 68 (third UFAG series), 160hp Daimler: 143-146kph; 1000m in 5:28. [Y,5]
    11. Brandenburg C.I(U) Series 64 (fourth UFAG series), 160hp Mercedes: 142kph; 1000m in 6:53. [Y,6]
    12. Brandenburg C.I(U) Series 67 (fifth UFAG series), 160hp Daimler: 154kph; 1000m in 5:05. [Y,5]
    13. Brandenburg C.I(U) Series 69 (sixth UFAG series), 200hp Hiero: 168-177kph; 1000m in 5:24. [K,5]
    14. Brandenburg C.I(U) Series 169 (seventh UFAG series), 250hp Benz: 160kph; 1000m in 4:14; 3000m in 16-18min; 5000m in 50-55min. [Y,5]
    15. Brandenburg C.I(U) Series 269 (eighth UFAG series), 200hp Daimler: 155-158kph; 1000m in 4:30; 3000m in 18-19min; 5000m in 50-58min. [Y,5]
    16. Brandenburg C.I(U) Series 369 (ninth UFAG series), 230hp Hiero: 160-165kph; 1000m in 4:00, 3000m in 14-16min; 5000m in 48-55min. [K,5]
    17. Brandenburg C.I Series 61.5 (first HB series), 160hp Daimler: 151kph; 1000m in 5:20; 3000m in 25:10; 5000m in 36:40. [Y,5]
    18. Brandenburg C.I Series 63.5 (second HB series), 160hp Mercedes: 142kph; 1000m in 5:21. [Y,5]
    19. Brandenburg C.I Series 64.5 (third HB series), 160hp Daimler: 144kph; 1000m in 6:35. [Y,6]

Y actually covers 138 kmh. So we can really simplify the stats to 2 types, K, climb 5, and Y, also climb 5.

Not too much trust should be placed in performance figures near the boundaries. Actual performance could vary quite a bit between different aircraft of the same production block, due to rigging, wear on engine, fuel quality, how wet the fabric was from flying through cloud, prop design fitted etc.

So a Hiero engined HB C1, be it 200 or 230hp, is K,5.
    Everything else, Y,5.

There are already far greater simplifications with the official aircraft (notably the different models of the Fokker D.VII and Sopwith Camel).

As for which ones to model - it depends very much on exhaust and radiator placement rather than Benz vs Hiero, or 200 vs 230 hp. Even more so on whether there was an overwing coffin mount for guns or not, and cowled vs uncowled. Only significant visual differences need be modelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain
    Only significant visual differences need be modelled.
    Precisely; and if there are significant differences, in game terms between various look-alike models, they can be handled by the relatively less-expensive production of differing card decks.

Of course, what constitutes a "significant" visual difference is its own can of worms.

Currently I'm working on a Hanriot HD.3, which only saw a little bit of combat (fully equipping one escadrille), but I think it would have been a crackerjack two-seater for what-if 1919 scenarios. It was fast (210kph, like a SPAD 13), compact, and probably very maneuverable, sported a 260hp engine, with twin guns both front and rear.
    OK, a new one on me. Put it up, and it will definitely get on the next order.
    I just wish that the CP had planes incoming that could match the engine power that the Entente was getting ready to field, even giving the CP resources (needed to continue through 1919) that exceeded history.
    Karl

OAW Albatros: Already done! http://shpws.me/MFYn

Sorry,
    That was not the "sober" John Snelling that posted. There is a "not sober" John Snelling that gets on here and pretends to be the sober one.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    As for which ones to model - it depends very much on exhaust and radiator placement rather than Benz vs Hiero, or 200 vs 230 hp. Even more so on whether there was an overwing coffin mount for guns or not, and cowled vs uncowled. Only significant visual differences need be modelled.
    In the end I modeled five different series of the Brandenburg C.I, with a mix of cowled and uncowled engines; none, canister, MWR top-wing, and synchronized front guns; minor physical differences, and four different engines. That should provide a pretty good selection, even if they only map to two different game-decks. As for detail, I tend to model a little more detail than WSF can reliably show, because I know some day there will be even more accurate materials available.

This thread has been quiet for a long time. Some of the requests have been finished since the last posting: A.E.G. G.V, Georges Levy 40 HB2
    Others are a little short on good drawings and/or pictures (at least from my library): Le Pere LUSAC, Otto C.I
    Others are possible if there are still interest: F.B.A. Type C, Lohner B.II.

Anyone got a yearning for something that hasn't been mentioned?

Windsock Datafile 120 covers the Lepere LUSAC-11. I have a copy. I can make a scan for you when I get back home.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Quote Originally Posted by RJG173 View Post
    Windsock Datafile 120 covers the Lepere LUSAC-11. I have a copy. I can make a scan for you when I get back home.
    I appreciate the offer, but I'll have to pass. Someday, once high-quality home 3D printers are cheap, I anticipate my models will end up on Thingiverse or something similar, where copyright is their only legal protection. In good conscience, it would be difficult for me to be trying to assert copyright on the 3D models while being casual with others' copyrighted works that were consulted in their creation.

Now and then on ebay you will see someone selling all of the Windsock Datafiles in PDF form on a DVD, claiming that by aggregating someone else's works onto a new medium it gives them copyright ownership of those works. But they're wrong and they know it -- just as someone creating a new mix tape of music doesn't give them copyright to that music. (Yeah, I know, no one uses tape any more.)

Users Country Flag

Name
    Nephilim
    Sorties Flown

Reading again between the lines of our recent conversation via Shapeways I can see your point clearly regarding the consultation of copied cutaways... and it is a good and honest one.

Btw... the Rumpler G.II & the Sablatnig will be another wonderful addition to everyone's collection. Let us know when they're ready for printing.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Similar Missions

1. British Aircraft in Russian Service, 1916-1922
    By Zoe Brain in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-24-2014, 10:40
  2. WSF The Request thread
    By Zoe Brain in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 358
    Last Post: 02-02-2014, 14:14
  3. Time for the 1903 again !!!
    By Willi Von Klugermann in forum Officer's Club