Ares Games

Thread: Manouver Decks

Default Manouver Decks

Can any surggest which manouver decks the following WW2 aircraft could use?
    Brewster Bufferlo
    Locked Hudson

Thumbs up Manouver Decks

Doug!

If you look in the files section you will find a Buffalo custom card done by Gravitypool he used a c deck for it! The Hudson you would need be patient with. Rain of Destruction will be soon and will give a good range of twin engine planes. If you cannot wait use the " I " deck without the dive card!

Rich

The Buffalo might even be most similar to the Polikarpov I-16 found in the Revolution in the Skies booster. That aircraft uses the J deck. I'm no expert at evaluating manueverability or anything, though. Perhaps I'm just looking at two stubby fighters and assuming they have similar flying characteristics.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

The Buffalo's a real variable - it depends which Buffalo, as the various models had substantial variation in both weight and horsepower, which did very odd things to both the raw performance figures and the agility. (Finnish and some Dutch ones were really very good, other Dutch ones were OK, while the British and American ones in the far east were overloaded underpowered dogs....)

Thanks for your help Gentelmen, my Australian Buffalo's will be soon fighting Jap Zero's

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Aussie ones are dogs - I don't know the ins and outs of the various decks (strictly a WWI player myself) but similar speed to the Zero (the Buff's a few mph faster, but not enough to make a difference), without the nimbleness - if all else fails just take any sharp turns out of the Zero's deck.

Dom.

PS - If you have the models, your Aussie Buffaloes are much better going up against the Ki-43 Oscar; still as agile as the Zero, but much less well armed, and their historical opponent. (Since Malaya and Burma were mainly Japanese Army operations rather than Navy - allied pilots invariably reported Zeros, but for the Brits / Aussies / Kiwis the Oscar was the usual opponent.)
    Last edited by Dom S; 08-23-2010 at 04:02.

Exclamation

Seth I looked at the C decks for the Bufflow but it is still the same as the Zero which in reality it was not. So as you suggested I used the J decks from "the revolution in the Sky's" This works out much better. For intrest the Australians removed the 50cal MG fron the aircraft and subsituted a 30cal MG the reason for this was the lubrication on the 50 cal MG's vaporised back onto the pilots wind shield thus blinding him. Another intresting fact was the the Brits removed the 4 outer MG's in order to save weight to give them more manouability against the Jap fighters which it did!
    Ps another house rule is to ingnor the 1st pilot wound card as the bufferlows had armourd seats and this saved many pilots
    Last edited by Doug; 08-30-2010 at 03:17.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Another intresting fact was the the Brits removed the 4 outer MG's in order to save weight to give them more manouability against the Jap fighters which it did!
    That was on the Hurricane IIb - difficult on the Buffalo, as it only had 4 guns - two nose, one each wing.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

(Although there was the "Singapore Sports Special" with all 4 guns stripped and just a pair of .303s with short ammo belts fitted, armour stripped etc. That was a one-off that didn't see combat though - I suspect it would've been a *very* close match for the Oscar, but with something of an edge on speed.)

Similar Missions

1. Extra Damage Decks
    By ktodd in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-30-2016, 16:30
  2. Amount of Damage Decks?!
    By SirDragon in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-05-2010, 15:24
  3. Combining D damage decks
    By Pseudotheist in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 5