Ares Games

Thread: New Find

Default New Find

I was at the Ft. Meade PX (store on a military base) today and in the toy section there was a case of SKY PILOT planes. They are in different scales but I looked through them and there was a P-38 and P-47 in 1/200 scale. I searched the whole box but only one of each but still a great find I thought. There was a MIG in 1/190 scale so may have to back and get that one.

Nice find indeed Bob.
    I have never heard of Sky Pilot. Are they still available, or is this just one of those miraculous finds of the century?
    Rob,
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I think they are also under New Ray Toys. I can find them in a craft store by me and this is the first I have seen them in the PX. You always have to keep your eye out where ever you go to see what is in a store.

I have a rather nice Canadian seaplane from the larger Sky Pilot range. Ideal for my 15mm Mercs to fly around in

That sounds like an excellent find. I have only seen the fighters in the different scales.

They also produce a Corsair, Hellcat and Typhoon in something like 1/190 scale, which can be used for Wings of Glory once we have atatistics and movement decks for them.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Nice find indeed Bob.
    I have never heard of Sky Pilot. Are they still available, or is this just one of those miraculous finds of the century?
    Rob,
    Hi Rob! I have 2 Lightnings, 2 Corsairs & 2 Thunderbolts all in 1/200 from Sky Pilot.
    They are rather nice Die cast models.

See Pics attached.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SP P-38 Lightenings.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	160.5 KB 
ID:	136462Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SP Corsairs 2.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	136463

Thanks chaps.
    I'll have a look around the web for them then.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I have to recheck the Corsair. I thought it was a different scale. They had all of them as it was a new case. Maybe next time I will ask if they have another case so I can get the P-38 and P-47.

P-38 Lightning: 1/200
    F4U Corsair: 1/190
    F6F Hellcat: 1/190
    Hawker Typhoon: 1/180
    P-47 Thunderbolt 1/200
    I believe the MIG 3 is a 1/700.
    There's a Spitfire (also 1/700IIRC) and a Bf-109 in Romanian colours
    In the States, you can find them in air Museums, and at Hobby Lobby (if you're not boycotting the latter for political reasons).
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    and at Hobby Lobby (if you're not boycotting the latter for political reasons).
    Or if the nearest one to you isn't *SEVEN BLOODY HOURS AWAY*....

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Or if the nearest one to you isn't *SEVEN BLOODY HOURS AWAY*....
    Then try an aircraft museum. Or Amazon. Hobby Lobby is OK, but there are others about as good.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

There is also a P-51 and Zero in 1/160. Not sure the scale of the D-520 but again will check.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    There is also a P-51 and Zero in 1/160. Not sure the scale of the D-520 but again will check.
    IIRC 1/160th also. The ones I listed are those I bought, as being close enough to 1/200.
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Then try an aircraft museum. Or Amazon. Hobby Lobby is OK, but there are others about as good.
    Karl
    I was referring to the comment about "boycotting HL for political reasons" -- I've already had to explain to a dozen different people that the nearest store to me is in Federal Way, WA, a good seven hours given Sea-Tac traffic; so asking me whether or not I'm boycotting them is a bit like asking an ant in London to support sanctions against Zimbabwe.

Went back today and bought the Corsair. It is 1/190 close to 1/200. The Mig was 1/140 and close to 1/144. There was another P-47 but they should be out soon for WOG so only have one.

As an afterthought (and a few beers) I didn't think talking about little model planes would be such a controversy.

I found online a game using Korean era MIG-16s vs Sabers looked very good.

I have seen a Check Your Six game of the Six day war using AIM planes. Was a good looking game.

Similar Missions

1. What a find!
    By AlgyLacey in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-25-2013, 00:17
  2. What a find
    By Linz in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-06-2011, 02:44
  3. Bit of a find here!
    By AlgyLacey in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 6