Ares Games

Thread: Question about firing from the Gotha bomber

MrMT

Default Question about firing from the Gotha bomber

The rules that come with the Gotha refer to two red dots, marking the front and rear machine gun. The arc of fire should be centered on this dot.

But the base of the plane I just received, however, does not have a rear red dot. It does have a blue dot however.

What is the centre of the rear machine gun? Is it the blue dot, or is it the base of the plane? Thanks!

Its the blue dot Mark. But beware of the black crescent just behind it, that's the blind spot. At close range, same level or below, drawing a line from the blue dot to either end of the black crescent and beyond is your line of fire. Any enemy at close range you cannot fire at through the black crescent line if below or at the same height.
    See you on the Dark Side......

The rear gun is centred on the peg Mark (probably should be just in front judging by the lines), the blue dot pertains to tailing.

MrMT

Two answers, two opinions! But yes, it does seem like the rear gun should be on the peg, according to the diagrams. But the blue dot was a little confusing as it actually is situated under the gun on the model itself; and the instruction specifically mentioned two red dots - of which there are on the plane card, but not the base...

Anyway, I read the tailing rule in my R&A, and it does indeed specify the blue dot.

Thanks!

I had to pull the base & instructions out to check before I answered - glad we could help !

Never having had the Flight of Giants rules, I do now, and having just read them I agree with Dave. The blue dot is for tailing. The two red dots in question refer to the card for the Gotha in the FoG box. (produced before there was a mini). The rear red dot, when the card is placed under the base is actually to the front of the peg not rear. So I would take the dot as being at the juncture of the two rear arc line running along side the wings.

Name:  gotha GV.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  30.7 KB
    See you on the Dark Side......

The Gotha did not have a 'blind spot' below the tail because the early models had an extra ventral gun in a tunnel and the G.V had an enlarged tunnel allowing the dorsal gunner to fire his gun downwards.

Similar Missions

1. Size of the base for a Gotha bomber
    By chartoh in forum Paper Card Models
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-21-2014, 04:05
  2. WGSF Substitute firing arc cards for your WGS bomber bases
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-28-2013, 14:23
  3. Gotha Bomber.
    By gavain2 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 7