Ares Games
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Gimbal Mounts

I use the same method, I just put the concave magnent on the stem and the ball on the plane.....

Default Gimbal mounts

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    These Gimbal Mounts are made from incredibly strong neodymium ring magnets and chrome plated steel ball bearings. The gimbal mount allows you to adjust the attitude or angle of the plane on the stand to simulate pitch, roll, and yaw during a game. This adds a nice dynamic appearance to the game.

Watch this quick video to see the gimbal mount in action! (Requires Quick Time player or you can play it in Windows Media Player following these instructions)

There have been some questions asked regarding the size of the mounts on both the WWI and WWII planes. Here are some photos showcasing the mounts.

I picked up the gimbal mounts, smoke, and fire markers. I think they work well. I spent yesterday modifyingthe pegs and gluing the magnets and balls. Next, I have to do the gimbals for my large aircraft. I’m a happy gamer!

Name:  0559F6C5-0055-4EB5-AF54-723681C828CA.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  60.3 KB
    Name:  D9BF26BF-C099-4D46-9532-504CC7759113.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  50.6 KB
    Name:  D5F0A71F-A3C3-4354-8AB8-C615C100F51E.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  54.6 KB

Well I'm late for the plane as normal!

Since Aerodrome Accessories is not out 9of business, can someone tell me where to get the rings and balls? Or at least what size the ring magnets and balls are so I can hunt for them?

Thanks in advance.

amazon, ebay or hobby stores. "Countersunk ring magnets" between 8 - 12mm wide and 3mm high work well. 3/8" or 5/16" ball bearings. I used a two-part epoxy to attach them. Rough up the ball bearing with a file or sandpaper and it will help. I used these:
    ring magnets

Installed them "upside down" since it was easier to tape off the bottom of the hole, fill with epoxy, and place the peg for it to dry but they've worked fine. Could pretty easily do them the other way though so that the cup side faces up.

Name:  halb_lion_left.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  43.6 KB

I'm posting this here, as I think it's applicable to those who like the magnet gimbal system.

Name:  Aircraft_Peg_System.jpeg
Views: 238
Size:  145.2 KB

There's a magnet in the base that's flush with the base surface, and the "pegs" are cylindrical magnets.

I've found this much easier to use than pegs with mechanical attachments.

Hopefully some folks will find inspiration here.

It looks more stable for those high flying aircraft like bombers. Are the magnets the same size as a standard peg Sean?

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

That looks a very neat solution.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

In the U.S., at least, one can purchase from Amazon rare earth circular "hole magnets" that are 10mm across, 3 mm thick, with a 3mm hole. The hole size is a perfect fit for .177 inch steel balls (BB's).

The "pegs" I'm using re 6mm dia. x 12mm length.

Even at 8 "pegs" tall it's still very stable. The magnets have a lot of "stick."

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345