Ares Games
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gimbal Mounts

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    I don't know either, but it's pretty hard!
    At a guess, I'd say die cast iron like the old Matchbox and Dinky toys. Strong in compression but weak in sheer.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Featherstone

Greetings gents!

(Forgive me if I'm a bit behind the times here; just getting started with a set of aircraft over the holidays. At any rate...)

Any ideas as to when the gimbal mounts will be back in stock in the Aerodrome store? Looking into them for my new minis.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year too!

Please check back towards the end of next week. I've got the parts on order and will bag some up ASAP and update the site.

I have just received my gimbal mounts from Keith.
    They are great but as I did not want to mount them directly to the mini the magnet ring was to weak when mounting it on a peg.
    So I decided to shorten the peg by half. Now the gimbal pags seem to work. But on bigger planes like the Stuka the fail to hold the mini when banking hard.

What would Tim Taylor (Tool Time) do? Well use more power
    So I looked for some ring magnets with an inside diameter of 5 mm (with a strenth of approx. 700 g) so that it would fit over the one side of the peg without gluing it.
    To match the magnet I also ordered some steel balls with a diameter of 8 mm.
    We have tried them yesterday and they work great!

Name:  Gimbal 8mm.jpg
Views: 1182
Size:  92.0 KB Name:  Gimbal 8mm-2.jpg
Views: 1170
Size:  96.4 KB

Keith had some large gimbals for the Bombers a while ago Sascha. I found them very strong. They even hold one of my die cast models.
    Just checked and they are listed as out of stock at the moment.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Keith had some large gimbals for the Bombers a while ago Sascha. I found them very strong. They even hold one of my die cast models.
    Just checked and they are listed as out of stock at the moment.
    Rob.
    When mounting them directly to the model I would always go for the smaller ones but I wanted to mount them to the peg.
    The problem when mounting them to the peg is the leverage effect. And that is why I went with the more powerful version.
    It works perfectly and the magnets are not to strong. You can easily disconnect them from the steel ball.

Does anyone have a idea when the store might stock some more of them??

Thank you sir. I was looking for the ones that work with the "fighter", will they work?

Thank you. That is exactly what I was looking for. I received my order from AIM(Dave) yesterday and I've already started working on them, just need to get them ready mount!

Quote Originally Posted by badlands122 View Post
    Does anyone have a idea when the store might stock some more of them??
    They are currently not out of stock... I've got 67 sets of Gimbal Mounts ready to ship out.

They are currently not out of stock... I've got 67 sets of Gimbal Mounts ready to ship out.
    Do you know if the bearing will be available at the same time as the Hanger Trays?

P.S. any word on the Hanger Trays? Very excited about them.
    Last edited by Ken at Sunrise; 02-24-2017 at 09:21. Reason: add P.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    Do you know if the bearing will be available at the same time as the Hanger Trays?

P.S. any word on the Hanger Trays? Very excited about them.
    Both of those are in stock now.

Both of those are in stock now.
    Yeah! Thanks I just placed my order. Now I can take my bombers with me when I go for game night.

Yes Sir, Thank you very much. I placed my order for some as well.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Grey
    Sorties Flown

They are in stock now. Also, there are several photos in this thread that show how you can use them with out drilling your minis.

The stands with altitude rings were for every aircraft in the game, there are no plane specific stands as far as altitude is concerned.
    all of the photos are ded here in 2017, would love to see some photos of how to mount without modifying the plane

edit: wow one set of photos loaded finally after i posted. claaaaaassic.

Quote Originally Posted by gr3yh47 View Post
    all of the photos are ded here in 2017, would love to see some photos of how to mount without modifying the plane

There are many folks here that do this in slightly different ways. 'Here' is how I do it. The plane is unmodified, only the pegs are altered.

Quote Originally Posted by gr3yh47 View Post

I mounted mine like this Grey:

cut the bottom of the peg off, glue the ring magnet to it, mount the ball in the base of the other part, job done.

"He is wise who watches"

Peter is right Grey, there are several different ways folks mount up their planes. My version is here for the scouts and here for the bombers

Has anyone tried using jewelry spacer beads? They are 4mm in diameter and the hole is 1.5 mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Saylug View Post
    Has anyone tried using jewelry spacer beads? They are 4mm in diameter and the hole is 1.5 mm.
    To mount to the stock peg on the plane for the bearing to attach to?

To mount to the stock peg on the plane for the bearing to attach to?
    Yes, exactly. I just received mine from the store today and am thinking about this as a method of attaching a ball to the peg.
    Last edited by Saylug; 10-29-2018 at 19:33. Reason: Thought of more to say

Yes, exactly. I just received mine from the store today and am thinking about this as a method of attaching a ball to the peg.
    I've not seen these before, but they sound interesting. Share pics if you give it a shot.

Any idea when the Bomber gimbals will be back on the Store Keith?

Rob.

Rob, I just added 5 more to the site. I'll need to order in more parts to make some up.

Thank you sir I'll keep my eye open for them as I want to order another cockpit at the same time.
    Rob.

Thank you sir I'll keep my eye open for them as I want to order another cockpit at the same time.
    Rob.
    They are up now Rob.

Order sent thanks Sir.

Rob.

Order sent thanks Sir.

Rob.
    Thank you for the order Sir.

I've not seen these before, but they sound interesting. Share pics if you give it a shot.
    Name:  IMG_1185.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  147.8 KB Name:  IMG_1183.jpg
Views: 782
Size:  134.9 KBName:  IMG_1184.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  142.2 KB

Finally, got to working on these. I bought the beads at Michael's, a chain craft store. They had 2 sizes, these are the larger & they are bigger than the beads that come with the mounts. I haven't tried the smaller ones yet. I used a round diamond file to open up the hole in the beads so that the peg would fit. Easy but time consuming, however no modification needed for the aircraft. I had to be careful to open the hole too much, or the planes will fall off if turned over. I then glued the magnet to the peg & finished. I will be play testing them soon.

Finally, got to working on these. I bought the beads at Michael's, a chain craft store. They had 2 sizes, these are the larger & they are bigger than the beads that come with the mounts. I haven't tried the smaller ones yet. I used a round diamond file to open up the hole in the beads so that the peg would fit. Easy but time consuming, however no modification needed for the aircraft. I had to be careful to open the hole too much, or the planes will fall off if turned over. I then glued the magnet to the peg & finished. I will be play testing them soon.
    That was an excellent information. Never thought about chain pieces. I bought them myself with some magnets and now I have 50 combinations for just 15€

I tested my gimbal mounts, I have to say that extra weight kept the planes from falling off. They looked fantastic! But they didn’t really enhance game play.
    Attached Images  

Any chance that you'll be getting restocked soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwump View Post
    Any chance that you'll be getting restocked soon?
    Yes, I should have more in stock around the middle of this coming week.

Good news sir. I should be ready to order by then.
    Rob.

Will these be the new countersunk magnets?
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Any updates on the gimbals?

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwump View Post
    Any updates on the gimbals?
    I just restocked them. Get'em while they are hot!

Thanks. Order placed.

My order is also in Herr Oberst.
    Rob.

I personally prefer to mount to ring magnet on the plane and the ball on the flight peg. I feel it makes the plane itself looks more aesthetically pleasing and cleaner. I do my magnets and ball from K&J Magnetics. (not to take away from the Aerodrome Store)Name:  20210104_092453_resized.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  54.3 KBName:  20210104_092512_resized.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  36.4 KBName:  20210104_092624_resized.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  57.1 KBName:  20210104_092600_resized.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  56.8 KB

Very nice Kirk. I like that look and it will help the balance too. I've been attaching ball bearings to all my Shapeways planes....have to think about re-doing them with your method now.

Kirk, looks great What glue do you use, and will that method hold a heavy bomber canted?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Florian
    Sorties Flown

I bought the beads at Michael's, a chain craft store.
    Can you post a link to the specific beads, please?

I have tried to find iron beads for a long time, but wasn't successful. In my opinion it is the most elegant and gentle method in mounting a plane to a gimbal mount.
    Last edited by Karo7; 01-04-2021 at 15:13.

K&J Magnetics

NSB3 3/16" diameter Nickel Plated Steel Balls Not Magnetized

R421 1/4" od x 1/8" id x 1/16" thick Nickel Plated, Axially Magnetized

I have not tried them on any of my Heavy Bombers yet, but I have several to try so I will let you know as I learn. And honestly I just use plain old superglue. Have great results as long as you are careful in application.

OK I just did a test fit, and those sized above will not work for the larger bomber planes. I tried it out on a B-25 (Ares miniature) and it would be far to small. I will do some exploration and look into larger ones for the bombers' and update.
    Last edited by CAPTKIRK406; 01-04-2021 at 13:39. Reason: Updated after test fit for Bombers

I don't use them on my large bombers. They don't usually maneuver like fighters so I don't mind them flying level. I tried Keith's bomber gimbals, they seemed to work but the ring magnets ended up breaking.

Quote Originally Posted by CAPTKIRK406 View Post
    I personally prefer to mount to ring magnet on the plane and the ball on the flight peg. I feel it makes the plane itself looks more aesthetically pleasing and cleaner.
    Huh, that's interesting. I never really thought of it that way, though it makes sense: The plane is more or less flat where you can put the flat magnet and on the peg there is a hole to hold the ball in place. I might re-do the shapeways and Crimson Skies models once my ordered package from Keith arrives soon...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast