Ares Games

Thread: card decks A - D, little difference?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Brian
    Sorties Flown

Default card decks A - D, little difference?

I got to looking, after quite a few games, at the decks A to D.
    And was dismayed somewhat to find A to C had no difference in turning circle radius, only D did, yet the former were assigned to widely different aircraft? In fact, the most noticeable difference was the sideslip or as I prefer to think of it in WW2 terms, barrel roll cards between the different decks.
    This didn't ring true to me. The Spitfire Mk I should be able to turn inside the Me109E, the Zero should be insanely manouveurable (but tinny.. I reduce the hit points to 12 in my games)

So, I scanned, edited and printed some tight turn radius cards for the A and C decks, giving A one tight turn card, and C two such cards. They're a bit crude and done quick, but can make better ones with more time. Printed on 250 gsm cardstock.

In test games tonight I saw a better reflection of the individual aircraft. My 109 couldnt always turn with the Spitfire MkI, and I resorted to vertical and head on attacks a lot, but was shot down in the end of a close run contest. I largely missed with my first burst and didnt capitalise all game, even though I got the "bounce". (See my other post about starting positions)
    Likewise the zeros zipped and darted out from under the guns of most, but one good burst and they looked ready to scrap.

Love the mechanics of this game! Easy to mold modify and manipulate!

BD

There has been some treads on this subject along with photos of where the planes end up after a few cards. Do you test both fast and slow speed maneuvers?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Brian
    Sorties Flown

yep, have them both. Looks promising.

BD

ScottyD135

Default Deck Comparisons

Col. Hajj-

I would be interested in these threads comparing the maneuver decks. Do you have any links?

Scott

Welcome to the Aerodrome Scott, a quick search turned on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by BD Ford View Post
    I got to looking, after quite a few games, at the decks A to D.
    And was dismayed somewhat to find A to C had no difference in turning circle radius, only D did, yet the former were assigned to widely different aircraft? In fact, the most noticeable difference was the sideslip or as I prefer to think of it in WW2 terms, barrel roll cards between the different decks.
    This didn't ring true to me. The Spitfire Mk I should be able to turn inside the Me109E, the Zero should be insanely manouveurable (but tinny.. I reduce the hit points to 12 in my games)

So, I scanned, edited and printed some tight turn radius cards for the A and C decks, giving A one tight turn card, and C two such cards. They're a bit crude and done quick, but can make better ones with more time. Printed on 250 gsm cardstock.

In test games tonight I saw a better reflection of the individual aircraft. My 109 couldnt always turn with the Spitfire MkI, and I resorted to vertical and head on attacks a lot, but was shot down in the end of a close run contest. I largely missed with my first burst and didnt capitalise all game, even though I got the "bounce". (See my other post about starting positions)
    Likewise the zeros zipped and darted out from under the guns of most, but one good burst and they looked ready to scrap.

Love the mechanics of this game! Easy to mold modify and manipulate!

BD
    I would like to see the cards you made. Can you post them?

Tom

Similar Missions

1. Extra Damage Decks
    By ktodd in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-30-2016, 16:30
  2. Amount of Damage Decks?!
    By SirDragon in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-05-2010, 15:24
  3. Maneuver Decks with Miniatures
    By sparty in forum WGF: General Discussions