Ares Games

View Poll Results: How big is your current collection of planes for WoG, regardless of scale or source.

Voters
294. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than 25: Just starting out; looks like a good game

86 29.25%
  • 25-49: Starting to get into this game; I think it’s a keeper.

43 14.63%
  • 50-99: That’s good, no more for me: wait, is that a new series release coming up!

64 21.77%
  • 100-199: I think I’m getting serious; Maybe make some room in storage.

57 19.39%
  • 200-299: Bad news: WoG anonymous sent me literature;

22 7.48%
  • 300-499: Hangers full; time to build a new aerodrome!

13 4.42%
  • 500-999: Serious storage problem here; good news: you’re ready for almost any scenario!

6 2.04%
  • 1000+: I guess I like this game!

3 1.02%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How many miniatures do you own (Rebooted 2-JUN-14)

Got to admit to storage space problems as well, but as long as ARES keep making them I will keep on buy them (dimented lol).

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    323 WW1 and 97 WW2, not counting a dozen minicraft B17s in transit or the latest WW1 releases. Quite addictive this game innit?
    Indeed; a dozen coming my way too

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    HEY! I take offense at that... a Razorback is a PIG, a Diamondback is a rattlesnake.

Yeh, but it's a mean pig.
    Of course, this is why I prefer to use "Boar" for my Chinese year of birth, rather than "pig" (Iron boar at that )
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Oh god I feel so inadequate, I guess I better get my credit card out!

Well, I've been meaning to put them all together and take a new family photo... maybe if I can find some free time this week Ill do a recount. I'm guessing the number will be in the 100-199 range.

LOOP

47 WWI......

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

My collection contains:

WWI
    German 45
    Allies 35
    WWII
    Allies 19
    Axis 21
    French 3

WWI collection
    Fokker DR.1--19, 5 pilots
    Albatross--11, 6 pilots
    LFG Roland--6
    Fokker D.VII--7
    UFAG C1--4

Allies
    D.H.4--6
    Sopwith Snipe--7
    Sopwith Camel--8
    SPAD XIII--6
    Neuport--5

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

At the last count up:

WW1
    Allies – 35
    German – 43

WW2
    All 1/285 metal
    Allies – 28
    German – 48

How do you know when you've got enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Timmo UK View Post
    If my experience has taught me anything, you can NEVER have enough!

FWIW... (incl. new order I'm about to place next week)

WW1 - 98
    Have about 2/3 of the WoG WW1 Model range Collected (incl. the new series 8 in the missing 1/3 of that total) + Extras of some WW1 Models + various Third Party models.

WW2 - 104
    Almost complete WoG WW2 Collection (with my next order I will just be short 1 rare model) + Extras of some WW2 Models + various Third Party models.

So 202 Total.
    Last edited by Mycenius; 02-19-2015 at 01:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    If my experience has taught me anything, you can NEVER have enough!
    You're right! I try to resist getting multiples of less famous planes but I've started to notice gaps in my collection. It gets addictive.

LOOP

Well things have a tendency to grow...... 47 it was this autumn. Now it's 63......

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Understanding the best scale for this game to be 1/144 Scale I have yet to start board gaming. But so far I have amassed quite an impressive collection of F-Toys and Café Reo (Big Bird) four-engine bomber types mainly - am struggling for little friends to fly alongside these though! Starting out with our three Douglas C-47A Skytrains and three N A B-25C 'Crew Training' Mitchell aircraft things very quickly open out into four Consolidated B-24J Liberator aircraft. Standing between these and the rest of the Boeing B-17C / F / G Flying Fortress fleet are at least six Avro Lancaster B Is / B IIIs to which here is home to.

Noteable names which spring to mind: Cocktail Hour and Sharona D (B-24Js) and Shamrock Special, Mustang, Panama Hattie and of course the Memphis Belle (B-17Fs) and I began collecting these models for half the price they are now available for in January 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    I also have one.
    Coastal patrol.
    Anti-submarine.
    Lots of possibilities.
    I just bought a Hudson from Helmet 200 for Coastal Command for channel patrols, I keep looking at the Anson, as it was the first twin engine aircraft my father flew in when he joined the RAF.
    As for my total, I must be near the 150 mark, but I haven't actually counted them recently.

And there is Hammerhead in a couple of days

And a new release of WGF coming soon

Quote Originally Posted by Timmo UK View Post

Sorry? what? that sentence makes no sense

I probably have around 100 1/144 scale WWI aircraft, from a variety of manufacturers: Nexus and Shapeways are the majority plus one and only ONE Ares model (Gotha G.IV... or is it supposed to be a V?). Every Ares model I have seen has had something... "off"... about it. Missing cabane struts... Wrong engine mounts... Wing struts missing... Etc... Sad to say but unless Ares ups their game and actually produce better models, I am unlikely to buy another "official" aircraft.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

Although there is something off about many model 1/144 planes, often due the restrictions of the scale, some ARES models are very nice. The reprint of the Fokker DVII is their best model yet in my view. I do however think that their quality is very patchy and it seems sometimes that they just couldn't be bothered to create a consistent standard.

LOOP

......70..... and now the Shapeway-fever kicks in...

123 WW1 as posted in the other poll.
    I know at some point I am going to start getting WW2 as well.

You know, just a few to do Battle of Britain scenarios ...

Oh! is that a Lancaster ?

Still just one of everything, but that covers a lot more territory now.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Quote Originally Posted by LOOP View Post
    ......70..... and now the Shapeway-fever kicks in...
    While cleaning up my work table, my jaw dropped when I saw how many unpainted Shapeways minis I have. It's a whole new addiction.

LOOP

Quote Originally Posted by jbmacek View Post
    Shapeways! It's a whole new addiction.
    I have only bought 7 so far but in my head I'm already painting at leased 20 more and I have only begun scratching the surface.

It IS a whole new addiction!

Oh, darn.

I just messed up my up-coming storage tray order. I found some Stukas at a "can't pass this up (again!)" price. $300+ in AA storage trays, and that is for single and two seaters, only.

It doesn't include bombers or balloons. Or the Zeppelin, or the HMS Glorious (filled with Sea Gladiators and Swordfish).

I haven't ordered any of WGF series 8, nor do I have anywhere near enough Bf-109s or Hurries/Spits. Still need He-111s and a few other Battle of Britain planes to round out scenario possibilities. Heaven forbid I expand into the Mediteranian theater (please, please, please don't release a Spit Mk V trop! Please, save me from myself!)

PS: 82 WGF tray slots (no bombers, and not including Series 8 wishlist), 18 WGS tray slots (not including the Stukas, a Bf-110, the He-111 wishlist plane, nor the Glorious storage)

PPS: None of the above includes my metal D.VIII, nor the paper planes. Or Snoopy.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 05-27-2015 at 07:56.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

I don't know my WWI/WW2 totals but I am in the 'need to build a new aerodrome' zone. I have my scout/fighter storage settled and am working on 2 seaters and up.
    The big bombers will be a challenge and then the incoming giants! Love it all!!!!

I'm yet to count my WGS windfall, and my WGF count just won't stay still - hopeless addict!

I too am probably in a new category by now. Also managed to snatch these up for 40 CAD with tax and shipping which I think is a pretty reasonable deal.

IMG_20150530_095406414.jpg

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Warhawk View Post
    I too am probably in a new category by now. Also managed to snatch these up for 40 CAD with tax and shipping which I think is a pretty reasonable deal.

Beware: The green coloured Kawasaki is the KI-61-I-KIAD version ... It's the only aircraft currently available to WGS which distributes D-Tokens on a regular basis. It would shred that Mitchell in the photo with great ease so I have already discovered. Best opponent for it I would say is the Bristol Beaufighter Mk IVF (Davoud Edition) which is also something which can easily shred anything which is in it's way!

Moved onto Heavy Bombers with my collection of but rather than bothering with WGS Rehab I think I'll have more fun learning just what these aircraft are capable of. After all what will I learn in WGS Rehab apart from diddly squat??!

Nice grab Wes.
    I never seem to see anything like that these days.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Hmm, I have 72 WWII. With Origins going on right now, I'll have to inventory them when I get back.

+1 more for me!!! Thanks to Flying Helmut and his spare Brumowski!!!!!!!

I feel like I can quit now. Yeah... riiiiiight...
    Last edited by jbmacek; 06-03-2015 at 04:58.

Well, I added 8 thanks to the Lend-lease raffle; and I'm going to Origins in an hour
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Aussietonka View Post
    Beware: The green coloured Kawasaki is the KI-61-I-KIAD version ... It's the only aircraft currently available to WGS which distributes D-Tokens on a regular basis. It would shred that Mitchell in the photo with great ease so I have already discovered. Best opponent for it I would say is the Bristol Beaufighter Mk IVF (Davoud Edition) which is also something which can easily shred anything which is in it's way!

Moved onto Heavy Bombers with my collection of but rather than bothering with WGS Rehab I think I'll have more fun learning just what these aircraft are capable of. After all what will I learn in WGS Rehab apart from diddly squat??!
    Yeah I am aware of that. Thinking of ways to add a house rule currently, maybe limit the shots, limit the targets (harder to hit faster moving, smaller aircraft) or limit both. Or maybe I'll just give it to the new guy and say, have at 'er . As a sort of handicap to the rest of us. Maybe I'll do an ace test, a 1vs 1 against it solo and see how long I last.
    The possibilities are endless, just so long as everyone agrees with the options!

Thanks for the heads up though, I'll try and be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Nice grab Wes.
    I never seem to see anything like that these days.
    Rob.
    Thanks Rob
    Some repairs on the B-25 are necessary however but nothing a little glue can't fix and at $9.95 it's a steal.

And on another note, does anyone know where I might find Lott's P-40 online. I procrastinated with this one, opting instead for two of Hill's P-40's and now I'm kicking myself for it.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

And on another note, does anyone know where I might find Lott's P-40 online. I procrastinated with this one, opting instead for two of Hill's P-40's and now I'm kicking myself for it.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...+lott&_sacat=0

Here is a search done from the UK for you though one of the sellers is located in the USA Wes. I recently found Lott's p-40 elusive too. Hope the link works.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussietonka View Post
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...+lott&_sacat=0

Here is a search done from the UK for you though one of the sellers is located in the USA Wes. I recently found Lott's p-40 elusive too. Hope the link works.
    Heh. I sent him an amazon link to the US site. lol.

I've had my Deluxe set of planes for 2 years, and doubled that last summer, but the itch has increased greatly since I joined the site in Jan.
    What do we have? Only WGS (18 Ares, 6 Noble Metal Mini's, 8 Merit planes out for painting, 2 resin by Dave-Clipper). It's the AAR reports that did it.

EDIT - Hrm..those merit's put me well over the the 25 or less I thought i had. I forgot about them. I sent them to Kevin (miscmini) to paint up since he did a good job on the metal ones.
    Last edited by Gotham Resident; 06-04-2015 at 12:18.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham Resident View Post
    Heh. I sent him an amazon link to the US site. lol.
    I don't use Amazon so I would not have thought of sending Wes a link to there - looks as if he will find Lott's P-40F successfully for sure now. I think the P-40 Warhawk models in general have just been put through a production re-run as having proved to be amongst of the hardest to find IMHO over this year they have both suddenly reappeared again in respectable numbers. I think AA are still out of stock of both Editions or I would have suggested trying there before E-Bay. The type is a good one to have in a Miniatures collection - rugged and manoeuverable.

This is a real brick and mortar store in North Carolina in the states. They appear to have a good quantity of mini's for WGF & WGS. And card protectors etc.

Thanks for the help guys. Still looking for something a little more local but if I don't find anything soon I'll have to jump on a couple of those.

currently 180 WW2 and 30 WW1 plus over 100 non Ares models

Mien Gott Andy. you could run a games club all by yourself with that many planes

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

http://wondertrail.com/games-and-puz...hawk-lott.html

I agree Paul but since no one lives near me that plays and I like to try out all the different areas Ares has made for I have at least 1 of each model.
    The models and scenario I enjoy playing I have several to make it play good.

In the future could also put on some demonstration / participation games around my area.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkhurst View Post
    I agree Paul but since no one lives near me that plays and I like to try out all the different areas Ares has made for I have at least 1 of each model.

In the future could also put on some demonstration / participation games around my area.
    There is always Skype for us lonely isolated pilots.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by hawkhurst View Post

Due to the same sort of situation I have also collected one of each for WGS and am in the process of negotiating doing a couple (provisionally) of WGS demos down at my FLGS or Friendly Local Gaming Store.

So I gather Skype is an excellent way of competing online against other players internationally. However away from Skype I too play loads of Solitaire scenarios though my preference by far is to play against a live and present opponent.

If I was into WGF full time the situation would be slightly different as there are a few WGF fanatics located in Derbyshire. But my main interest is WGS and most Solitaire sessions I play are to maintain the game's presence at Galactic Models Gaming Night which is held every Wednesday night down at my FLGS ... How far away are you from Derby may I ask and do you have a similar shop nearby which operates something similar to what I attend here?
    Last edited by Tonx; 06-09-2015 at 13:25. Reason: Typo!

hi Barney I am from Boston Lincolnshire there is no shops or clubs near that are interested.

so the best is to play solo or when wife available she plays also.

think we played against you at Hammerhead

so when I get more time will see about Skype

Andy

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Hi! My name is Matt. I've been addicted to Wings of Glory/War for almost a year now, and I only have 100 planes. I promise I'll do better as the addiction gains a firmer hold on my life...

These planes are SO cool!

All the best,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    Hi! My name is Matt. I've been addicted to Wings of Glory/War for almost a year now, and I only have 100 planes. I promise I'll do better as the addiction gains a firmer hold on my life...

All the best,
    Matt
    100..... slacker!

All the best,
    Matt
    That's not an addiction; that's a mere dalliance!

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I know, guys! But I seriously feel that NOW that I've come to terms with my situation, I will be much more able to collect a number worthy of brotherhood in this esteemed association.

I really do promise to try harder in the future.

All the best,
    Matt

P.S. Don't let SWMBO see this note!!!

I know, guys! But I seriously feel that NOW that I've come to terms with my situation, I will be much more able to collect a number worthy of brotherhood in this esteemed association.

I really do promise to try harder in the future.

All the best,
    Matt

P.S. Don't let SWMBO see this note!!!
    It will be a lot easier if you get SWMBO a few customized planes of her own. It worked for me!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. How many miniatures do you own?
    By Goering Ace in forum Polls
    Replies: 781
    Last Post: 10-25-2022, 12:44
  2. WGF WW2 miniatures for trade to get WW1 miniatures I'm missing
    By ldsdbomber in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-19-2013, 04:43
  3. Series 2 miniatures
    By trumpetman52 in forum WGS: General Discussions