Ares Games

Thread: If You Could Only Have One

Default If You Could Only Have One

It seems that questions are frequently asked about the aircraft of WWI or WWII. There is a good list of books on this site but if you could only have one and only one book for reference, what would it be? Tell us about the book that you choose for the war you play or if you play both, the book of your choice that covers both wars. Here is mine:

My war: WWI

My book: Aircraft of World War I 1914 - 1918 by Jack Herris and Bob Pearson, published by Amber Books

Although I have several books that I like a lot, in my opinion this one is the best at covering most of the aircraft throughout the war, as close as possible in chronological order, while also focusing on each nation and the different fronts. Often books tend to focus only on the Western Front. This one includes the Eastern Front, the Italian Front, and the Middle East and the aircraft used at those fronts. It also includes balloons and zeppelins. A lot of information and illustrations in a fairly compact book that is very reader friendly.

Users Country Flag

Name
    ERIN
    Sorties Flown

For WW2, I have always been partial to 'Janes Fighting Aircraft of WWII'.

My war: WWI

My book: Aircraft of World War I 1914 - 1918 by Jack Herris and Bob Pearson, published by Amber Books

Thanks Coog.
    Just ordered it from Amazon.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Yep, it's a good book. Ordered it a couple of months ago after someone on this forum recommended it.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

I use one gerneral purpose book for reference Gunston. B. (1976) "The Encylopedia of the World's Combat Aircraft" I orignally bought it for the modern types when I was a SAM gunner in the Army. Where as it does not cover every aircraft type it does a prity good job covering from WW1 to the 1970's. Another book I some times use (but more for intrest) is Winchester. J. (2005) "The Worlds Worst Aircraft from pioneering failures to multimillion diasters".

I browse the preview on Amazon. A really interesting book.

Thanks for your suggestion, Bob. I'll buy it ASAP.

Attilio

Thanks for recommending Aircraft of WWI. Based on the comments on this forum I ordered a copy, which arrived today. Great book. Dutchy

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchy View Post
    Thanks for recommending Aircraft of WWI. Based on the comments on this forum I ordered a copy, which arrived today. Great book. Dutchy
    You might like to catch my remarks on the thread, here. Books suggested good reading, directly below this posting.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."