Ares Games

Thread: A new milestone for the U.K. Squadrons.

Default A new milestone for the U.K. Squadrons.

Chaps, on posting my latest diatribe, I noticed that whilst I was having my postprandial nap aided by a fine glass of Italian wine.( Yes Attilio and Andrea are fostering new trends in my drinking habits) I could not help but notice that you had slipped in the 10,000th post on the U.K. sub forum.
    As the first pilots to pass this milestone, I feel that it calls for a right good old shindig in the Mess tonight.
    As Wing Commander of the said units it behoves me therefore, in the best traditions of the R.F.C. R.N.A.S, R.A.F and F.A.A. to be throwing the doors open to all the pilots on the Drome to join us as guests, at a proper Sod's Opera.
    The drinks are on me lads and lasses.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Sounds good to me, pass the Port

To the left you heathens, to the left! You always pass the port to the left and woe betide anyone who lets the bottle touch the table, instant fine a bottle of port, and finally you don't pour your own drink you pour the person to your left. Now pass the port.....
    See you on the Dark Side......

Time to deploy the Mess cannon and get ready for a piano burning!

Good grief Squadron Leader Skafloc. Who did you see infringing the age old custom? It will be double duty for him tomorrow, and he will also be made to serve drinks in the O.R.s Mess to boot.
    Kyte.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    you don't pour your own drink you pour the person to your left.
    Not in an RAF Mess, though you do pour for the lady seated to your left at a Guest Night.

As long as the Port gets passed back to me, don't mind which way it goes

Ah, well, not surprising from the junior service.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick62 View Post
    Not in an RAF Mess, though you do pour for the lady seated to your left at a Guest Night.

Cheers! I suspect that our Wing Commander will have contributed about half of those posts, so glory to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Cheers! I suspect that our Wing Commander will have contributed about half of those posts, so glory to him.
    Agreed!!!!

Brandy for me, please!

Thumbs up

On behalf of the Aussie Mob may I congratulate the UK Wing on this splendid achievement!

A few cases of XXXX & Thooeys Old plus some fine Hunter Valley Wines will arrive by RE-8 tomorrow to keep the "knees up" going a while longer.

One of those new fangled recruits direct into the RAF, never served with the RFC! There's just no tradition left these days.....now did I tell you how I won the M&M in '15 with the Fusiliers? No? Well gather round.....oh and pass the port, there's a good chap.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Good grief Squadron Leader Skafloc. Who did you see infringing the age old custom? It will be double duty for him tomorrow, and he will also be made to serve drinks in the O.R.s Mess to boot.
    Kyte.

.....now did I tell you how I won the M&M in '15 with the Fusiliers? No? Well gather round.....oh and pass the port, there's a good chap.

Actually Squadron Leader, you did tell me, on enumerable occasions in the Mess after a few drinks. So if we must endure that saga yet again you had better pass the port old chap. Only make mine a bottle, because I know how long the story takes.
    Kyte.

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay! - the M&M story again Now I really need the Port

Ah, well, not surprising from the junior service.
    Yes, pouring port for female guests is a nicety of the RAF which you may not know in the TA.

If a visitor might join the celebration, the port could be passed this way (right or left doesn't really matter to me)

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Would the two Gentlemen Officers having a discussion about passing the Port to the left just pass it over here with both hands! One is gagging for tipple

Having arrived a trifle late old chap you'll have to wait for the port to complete the circuit again. Or you could order another bottle and we could have two on the go...jolly what?

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Would the two Gentlemen Officers having a discussion about passing the Port to the left just pass it over here with both hands! One is gagging for tipple

I shall wait my turn (If there is any left in that bottle), and since the WingCo is buying, I've ordered two more bottles for the fray!!

Does this mean need to add a bottle of port to the essential supplies for Doncaster weekend shopping list?

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Does this mean need to add a bottle of port to the essential supplies for Doncaster weekend shopping list?
    Depends very much if you are the one who finishes the previous bottle. I usually have one about my person just in case.
    Rob.

Depends very much if you are the one who finishes the previous bottle. I usually have one about my person just in case.
    Rob.
    Wait a minute: does that mean the UK pilots can drink port while flying at your clubs!
    <hastily packing a bag for an overseas>
    Karl'
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I usually have one about my person just in case. Rob.
    .............and a Case of G&T, no doubt...........

Stone the flamin' Crows! I'm gonna have to punch out another officer so I can get put back in the stockade to dry my liver out! That said! Move away from the bar after you get your drink so us Colonial Boys can get to the Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    .............and a Case of G&T, no doubt...........
    That goes without saying Tim, but never to be taken at the same time as the Port.
    Kyte.

Port as a drink for toasts and G&T for those after dinner apperitiffs at the bar, never at the table and never during the dinner. Now clear a space there for our brave brothers from the Antipides...they want beer, not a civilised drink!

Now clear a space there for our brave brothers from the Antipides...they want beer, not a civilised drink!
    Well, they're obviously hungry: beer is food (and not just for breakfast, anymore), while port is drink.
    Karl

Yes. Oh yes

Thumbs up

Port as a drink for toasts and G&T for those after dinner apperitiffs at the bar, never at the table and never during the dinner. Now clear a space there for our brave brothers from the Antipides...they want beer, not a civilised drink!
    As Ltn Oswald Watt, an Aussie RFC Pilot once famously said to a very pucca British Officer who chided him on his manners---" Iam an Australian, I have no manners!"

Similar Missions

1. American Squadrons in WW1
    By skyking20 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-31-2014, 11:38
  2. Squadrons
    By Big Blake in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-10-2013, 01:16
  3. Another milestone reached right now
    By Dan-Sam in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 34