Ares Games

Thread: My muti plane bomber base.

Lightbulb My muti plane bomber base.

At the Williamsburg Muster i tried out some multi plane bomber bases. The are made from acrylic photo frames purchased from Walmart. I used the 8 x 10 inch made by Mainstay. The first step was to remove the base section even with the back. I did this with a sharp blade and a razor saw. Score the cut top and bottom and use the saw to make a clean cut. Scoring and snapping never works well. This left a width of 91/4 inches. I then measured 5 1/2 which works well with most medium bombers. This was tight with B-29`s i discovered later. My next batch will be 6inches deep.
    I ordered some heavy duty risers and toppers from Litko. I also custom ordered 1-15 altitude markers, smoke markers and flame markers for the heavy duty risers.

The original batch with standard Litko risers were to flimsy. The heavy duty risers worked well with my new B-29`s.

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P5120006.jpg   P5120007.jpg   P5120009.jpg   P5120010.jpg   P3210032.jpg  

Keeps them in formation rather than one plane flying.

You're right; a bit tight for B-29s.
    A much better job than my jury-rigged effort a few years ago.

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Bob

We have tried four and five bombers as you remember this is much easier!

Rich

Karl

The middle planes wing is against the riser. More depth will allow a better spacing.

Rich

A very good job, nevertheless; and to the next one
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Karl

I will have the next batch done by late August. Bob expressed an interest in bombing Japan. The B-29`s will be there!

I have to come up with a way to keep them together on one base.

Bob

I wrestled with that one for a long time!

Rich

A clever piece of work! Well done!

I assume that hits on the bombers are determined by whether a particular card is reached by the range ruler rather than the base.

Quote Originally Posted by richard m schwab View Post
    Karl

I will have the next batch done by late August. Bob expressed an interest in bombing Japan. The B-29`s will be there!
    well, I have 1 B-29 (a Model Power diecast I got from Hobby Town in Toledo). If I find a couple more, I'll do the same (though I might be bombing Germany in a Luft '46 what-if )
    Karl

Thumbs up

David

Just lazy! Yes the plane card is the the target, verses the whole base. Moving was easy, i moved a straight move from the outer edge and turns from the center. The open space on the base helped. Trying to move any size bomber is a pain, this really made it easy.
    The German fighters in our second game in February had a hard time attacking these close bomber formations. They found out you do not fly within range of two much less all three bombers. The fighter was sure to hurt a bomber, then again ten or twelve .50`s will ruin your day!

Rich

P.S. You can see in the photos why the heavier risers are necessary!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P2080091.jpg   P2080087.jpg   P2070009.jpg  

Karl

There is not a lot of late war Japaneses in 200 scale. The Official KI-84 and KI-61 could do the job!

Rich

Hey guys and gals is this still looking good? I have a dozen or so B-24's to base and this looks the best so far . . . any improvement suggestions? The elves are waiting for info . . .

David I have played in the games Richard runs with these bases. I base my planes on a single LITTO base.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4572.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	225366

Name:	IMG_4748.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	225367

Name:	DCP_7111.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	188.7 KB 
ID:	225368

SM 79's

Dreamcrusher

I love the idea of managing bombers in base groups! Brilliant!

Trying to crack that nut would be harrowing for any fighter. Feels accurate.

Well done!

Well done all, have given me insperationto do my 3 x BoB HE111's the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Hey guys and gals is this still looking good? I have a dozen or so B-24's to base and this looks the best so far . . . any improvement suggestions? The elves are waiting for info . . .
    There were some nice bomber bases from Teaticket and CappyTom's games. Should show up in some AARs.
    Karl

Similar Missions

1. Measuring Range: base-to-base or stand-to-base?
    By ColoradoCoppens in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-27-2014, 23:51
  2. Size of the base for a Gotha bomber
    By chartoh in forum Paper Card Models
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-21-2014, 04:05
  3. How to make an universal bomber base
    By Lino22 in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-19-2013, 03:03
  4. Bomber base size?