Ares Games

Thread: Console Crafting

Default Console Crafting

Here is a Prussian console I crafted. I patterned it after the top half of a WWI Prussian flag. It can be broken down into two pieces for easy storage in my plane bag. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	166.4 KB 
ID:	132336Click image for larger version. 

Views:	187 
Size:	150.6 KB 
ID:	132337.Click image for larger version. 

Views:	187 
Size:	149.6 KB 
ID:	132338
    Last edited by das Phantom; 05-09-2014 at 08:20. Reason: One more pic

That's pretty cool. Can we see a pic of what it would like during a game so we can see how it is used?

Nice work I will have to make one myself with a roundel.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    That's pretty cool. Can we see a pic of what it would like during a game so we can see how it is used?
    Attached is a couple of photos of my console in use. Click image for larger version. 

Views:	164 
Size:	149.6 KB 
ID:	132348. Click image for larger version. 

Views:	165 
Size:	198.4 KB 
ID:	132349Click image for larger version. 

Views:	130 
Size:	190.3 KB 
ID:	132680
    Last edited by das Phantom; 05-13-2014 at 10:04.

Thanks for all the great comments gentlemen. Cheers! Das Phantom

Very cool looking!

Very innovative Wayne. It certainly stops other players seeing what you are doing.
    I think that it would be quite easy to modify the Oberst's consoles to provide a modesty screen like that one. It could easily be removed for transportation.
    Thanks.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Wayne your custom console looks awsome

Real nice work there Wayne. Could you comment on the materials you used and maybe how long it took to complete it? Is the stand up "Flag portion" used as a top for the box part?

Quote Originally Posted by prymus View Post
    Real nice work there Wayne. Could you comment on the materials you used and maybe how long it took to complete it? Is the stand up "Flag portion" used as a top for the box part?
    -Assembly Time: 8 hours and then 24 hours drying time
    -Wood Assembly: I built the base like a wood cigar box, routed sides with thin wood bottom. I will probably try using one next time, though they are hard to find. It should save a lot of assembly time. Most of the materials were free from the scrap bin at our local hardware store. The partition was a single piece, cut to fit snugly. I next glued a strip on the front (part of my flag) and a strip in the inside to hold the removable partition in place. Two more similar strips to hold in place my Aerodrome damage and altitude dials. I used a scroll saw to hand cut out the Maltese Cross.
    -Painting: I spray painted the base black and partition white. Three coats for each ensuring each coat was fully dry (don't rush!). I taped and sprayed the black and red of the flag. Next taped and sprayed all the pen stripping an edges of the partition. I followed this with touch ups with a fine brush. I hand spray painted the cross black then hand painted it gold on the edges and finally a white accent on the front.
    -Final Assembly: I Glued on the cross and clear gloss coated the whole thing with three coats. Let each one fully dry. I then let it dry for 24 hours before pushing in the dials (snug fit). I also added four felt self adhesive floor protectors to the bottom. Gives it a nice finished feel when you set the box down (no clunk).
    -Note: Yep the partition acts like a lid keeping in my tokens, but I prefer to keep the lid separated by a thin sheet of foam. I'd hate transport to damage the paint job.
    -Thanks again guys! Cheers!
    Last edited by das Phantom; 05-13-2014 at 09:44.

Thanks Wayne, wasn't expecting a step by step but surely appreciate that. Very cool piece. On the cigar boxes, check your local smoke shop. I've been buying nice cigar boxes at mine for a while now. A nice wood box with brass hinges and locking top can be bought for $5. You can also find them on eBay. Just watch out because they can get pricey, and watch the shipping cost. I've picked up some nice enameled finish boxes also.

Thanks much William!

pmacko

This looks to be a very good solution. I just found 4 wooden cigar boxes at a flea market for $2 a piece and have ordered the altitude dials from Aerodrome. Hope to have my working examples done by next weekends game if the mail gets here by then

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Thanks for posting this nifty console, Wayne! It prompted me to dig out a couple of flatter wooden cigar boxes I had in storage (which I'd forgotten about), and a personalized console is now ANOTHER thing on my to-do list! I'll post a couple of pictures when I get it finished.

All the best,
    Matt

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Default Cigar box console

After seeing Wayne's lovely work, I dug around for my old cigar boxes and found two from the same maker. The first became my counters box, and this one became my console. It seemed the perfect things to do, having two 'identical' boxes to work with...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0103.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	141.0 KB 
ID:	169402

This first picture shows the inside of the box sectioned off and built up with balsa wood, then painted with the same CDL color I used on my counters box. The holes on the left are to keep track of damage; those on the right are for altitude and climb.

Name:	IMG_0160.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	197.6 KB 
ID:	169403

Here is a view of the console 'in use' in a game - the maneuver cards are stored horizontally at left, and the three move cards vertically in front. Normal damage is on the left rear, with +1 damage at right rear. The airplane card is in the middle. I glued a 'cheat sheet' of basic moves and damage on the lid interior to help speed play. And I used color-coded, shortened bamboo skewers to keep track of damage and altitude. The central area works well for climb chits and damage counters and anything else I need to keep track of...

Name:	IMG_0225.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	152.2 KB 
ID:	169404

Here's the view 'the enemy' has of the console! After painting Neil's box with Fokker Dr I wings, I finally decided to do my console with Albatros DV wings - the mauve and green pattern has always been one of my favorites.

Name:	IMG_0224.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	148.2 KB 
ID:	169405

Here are the two boxes together - all that's left to do is give the console a sealer coat to protect the top - that should darken it a tad to match up with its twin counter box.

As always, thanks for looking! It's wonderful to piggy-back on others' ideas and come up with one's own take on things - thanks again for the inspiration, Wayne!

All the best,
    Matt

Absolutely magnificent!
    A super pair of boxes!

A superb idea, and so handy for carrying about. Plus you have the lid to shield your cards from prying eyes,
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Dang Matt, aren't you just the handy guy
    Looks great, and gives me even more ideas that I don't have time for.

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Similar Missions

1. WGSF Crafting the Vokes Filter for Spitfire Mk.VC
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-20-2013, 14:45
  2. What about flight sims on pc/console?
    By Olt^Jones in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 07-15-2010, 04:15