Ares Games

View Poll Results: What is your favorite direction of attack?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • From above?

9 7.96%
  • From below?

2 1.77%
  • Head on?

8 7.08%
  • Tail attack?

53 46.90%
  • From the sides?

41 36.28%

Thread: Direction of Attacks

Default Direction of Attacks

What is your favorite plane attack direction?

From above?
    From below?
    Head on?
    Tail attack?
    From the sides?

Which plane is best at performing this attack?

Dutchy

Actually it depends on which kind of plane I'm attacking. If it's a fighter then its from the back (tail attack), but if it's a bomber I attack from the sides. If its a giant bomber, I shoot at it whenever I can. I chose tail attack becase gennerally theres more fighters in the game than anything else.

Hunter

I'm a bit tied to from below, as flying Albert Ball's Neiuport I have to emulate his attack method.
    However, when the SE5a arrives in a few weeks, I will be able to vary my attack and maybe shoot down a few more Huns than heretofore. Other than that go with Hunter's idea. Try out the planes, and differing attack methods, after all it's horses for courses. This is of course a variable feast, as you don't quite know what your opponent is going to do. Above all don't be predictable yourself. It is a sure way to end up going West.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Unfortunately, my method of attack is to get in a shot whenever I can and try to keep myself out of harms way.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Brian Wetzel
    Sorties Flown

I like coming in from the side and slightly to the rear.

Name
    Don
    Sorties Flown

I usually head right for it and then am seen attacking the ground.
    Again, head on.

Trikanis

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    I usually head right for it and then am seen attacking the ground.
    Again, head on.
    LOL

Seems to be my MO as well..
    I am however contemplating changing up my gameplan and maybe have a pilot survive?

From his six and to get there a Fokker Dr1 or Sopwith Triplane

As I'm still learning to play I'm glad to get an attack in from any direction at the moment. Normally I seem to get the attack in on the side.

I prefer to come at my opponent from the side, which I can then hopefully turn into a position on his 6. I seem to be able to better predict my opponents next moves when coming in from the side. once on his 6, it's a 50/50 chance that you guess which way he'll go to shake you.

Scott

Prefer to come in a few levels above, circle from the back and overtake when flying my spad xiii, least when combat first commences. Otherwise, try to find a neutral area, and mow throught when someone isn't watching or expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by Goering Ace View Post
    I prefer to come at my opponent from the side, which I can then hopefully turn into a position on his 6. I seem to be able to better predict my opponents next moves when coming in from the side. once on his 6, it's a 50/50 chance that you guess which way he'll go to shake you.

Scott
    If he follows the old rule never turn away from an attack, if you come in from the side at an oblique angle slanting from his tail should have him. I often find that a stall at this point brings him right across your front. If he turns away you are just about on his six.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    If he follows the old rule never turn away from an attack, if you come in from the side at an oblique angle slanting from his tail should have him. I often find that a stall at this point brings him right across your front. If he turns away you are just about on his six.
    Rob.
    Exactely, Rob. It's all about the angle you get as you come in from the side. If the angle is right, the shot(s) should be there. That stall tactic is a good idea. Gotta try that next game if I get in position for it.

Scott

I'm not that good so I take anything I can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
    I like coming in from the side and slightly to the rear.
    Same here or from the rear and below if it's a two seater.

Played a dogfight last week with two planes. In the first round of firing (head on 1st phase of second turn) one plane exploded and the other had the pilot killed. Just about the shortest game I've ever played.

Smile

I feel the best thing you can do is learn the strengths and weaknesses of your opposing aircraft. If I'm flying a fast aircraft like a Spad XIII, I'll lay out of gun range doing large circles until they comit to a direction where I can dart in and rake their side or tail. This works best if you have others to keep their attention, and/or if using altitude rules so you can dive on them or climb up and rip out their belly. If you are using a good turning airplane like a DR1 or Camel, you need to draw them in to fight your fight. Out turn them and get you side or tail shots, but stick to them like glue or you will become ground goo. But I agree with the others, get your angle to the side or tail and (cross your fingers) hopefully you will score good damage. Attacking two seaters, go for the blind spots if they are there, but expect to get a bloody nose. Good hunting!!!

We don't use altitude (usually)...so, having said that...rear and side shots for fighters and mostly side for bombers/2 seaters...

I like above I get dive speed surprize and hopefully a quick recovery to attack again

My favorite tactic is "hit and run from the sides", but it also depends on the aircraft I am in... I tend to favor the faster planes like the Se5a and the Spad... but now and then I like jumping in a triplane and going for the tail shot...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

I prefer the Tail or Sides for Fighters & the arc outside the guns of 2 seaters.
    Our chaps have not yet introduced Height into our games (waiting for the Col. to have the stands back in stock! Hint--Hint!)

I'm going for tail attack... I usually fly the Dr.I and with the sharp turns performed at the right time often gets you in a tailing position. Just gotta watch out for the Immelmann comin' back at ya!

Quote Originally Posted by Pope View Post
    As I'm still learning to play I'm glad to get an attack in from any direction at the moment. Normally I seem to get the attack in on the side.
    Hehe...I may not be a beginner as such (though counting the sorties, I have a feeling that neither is the good Pope, really), but I can share the sentiment.

Given a choice, I prefer from above - Diving attacks are so dramatic!

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by crashx View Post
    I feel the best thing you can do is learn the strengths and weaknesses of your opposing aircraft. If I'm flying a fast aircraft like a Spad XIII, I'll lay out of gun range doing large circles until they comit to a direction where I can dart in and rake their side or tail. This works best if you have others to keep their attention, and/or if using altitude rules so you can dive on them or climb up and rip out their belly. If you are using a good turning airplane like a DR1 or Camel, you need to draw them in to fight your fight. Out turn them and get you side or tail shots, but stick to them like glue or you will become ground goo. But I agree with the others, get your angle to the side or tail and (cross your fingers) hopefully you will score good damage. Attacking two seaters, go for the blind spots if they are there, but expect to get a bloody nose. Good hunting!!!
    EXACTLY! Spot on Timmer.

I go after the Book "Dicta Boelke" When ever Possible

"We have Millions of Bullets. We don´t want that you bring them back. Let the Enemy bring them Down." quote out of the Movie Flightboys

Users Country Flag

Name
    Steve
    Sorties Flown

I like to get on their tail and stick like glue!! :eek2: Okie

I generally try to get on someones tail rather than going head to head which can be embarassing :embarass: when you take more damage than your opponent and usually ends in tears

Now I've seen some who just fly around till all the fighting is over then go in for the kill.

Tom

any angle i can attack from. its nice to get a shot when im out of their arc of course.

From the sides, because i can shoot and get in the tail of the plane. In WWI I think the Dr.I is very good in this maneuver because of its tight curves. In WWII i cant really say, but probably D deck planes like the F4F and the D.520.

Given that there are no deflection rules in WoG, any angle is good. As Phillip says, though, out of their arc is best.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Any angle I can 'spit lead' is a good angle! And it's even better if I'm not receiving return fire!

All the best,
    Matt

I voted for the because most two-seaters have a gap between their firing arcs there but behind the tail is also good.

Short range tail I think is best as you should be in a 2 seater's blind spot. You should also be more likely to get in another shot before losing him.

Generaly I will attack from any direction but I will hold of until I am in short range.

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

I try to make my initial attack from the side, that way my next attack can usually be from behind.
    Last edited by Setarius; 02-20-2018 at 09:29.

Ideally from the side. To be honest though I am still learning and take what I can get.

The side so they can't fire at you.
    Last edited by Future Pilot; 02-20-2018 at 17:42. Reason: typed wrong thing

From the six - always the preferred. Then usually the movements can be predictable, especially if you know your opponent (think psychological game). My games can sometimes last an hour of nothing but manoeuvring, trying to catch the error in my opponents movements. Though, sometimes (read most of the times) I tend to overthink things and help the other side get onto my tail, all when I think that I have a brilliant idea and wonderful tactical arrangement... embarrassing ... but yeah... it works when on my Camel almost always, but fails on other planes horribly (looks like jinxed)....

Tail attack, at close range - finish him quickly, he probably has friends close by...
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Similar Missions

1. Strafing attacks & overlapping
    By Goering Ace in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-07-2010, 04:20