Ares Games

Thread: Fire Damage with engine damage?

Question Fire Damage with engine damage?

G'day All!
    Just wondered how you deal with an Aircraft with engine damage that requires a stall each turn & then catches fire so should not play any straight manoeuvres?

This happened in a recent solo game & I would like your input.

Baz, a stall is not a Straight... not straight up arrow in the lower right

Barry,
    Interesting problem. I personally detest the "no straight when on fire" rule introduced in Wings of Glory. This does suggest that the pilot is trying to avoid flames coming over the cockpit, but ignores two aspects of flight mechanics in flying and the game.

1. The firing arc of any fixed gun plane should be ONLY exactly straight ahead. It isn't. Why? I think that the game "assumes" yawing the nose of the plane to broaden the arc of fire to 45 degrees. This makes sense to me, and also takes into consideration firing while flying through the whole maneuver card and movement phase.

2. A coordinated turn will result in the flames coming straight over the cockpit, despite "turning" from side to side. Yawing and sideslipping are not well represented in the maneuver cards, but, as with the firing arc issue, should be assumed.

3.? What about wind direction? This is not even considered in the game, but at WWI speeds, could not wind enable a pilot to pick a heading that would blow flames away from the cockpit, too.

So, I don't use the "straight only when on fire" rule at all. It is silly, considering all the other simplifications in the rules. Only when playing with others who are adamant about it does it get used.

So, to answer your question, house rules apply? The written rules are in conflict.

Mike

I'm more concerned with the aircraft that fire guns whilst on fire. I'm sure there should be a penalty for that.
    Even the greatest Ace must be a little off his aim whilst trying to battle a fire.
    In principle I agree with Mike, do what you feel is best. I usually overdive to put out the fire, but with a stall in the mix you can only initiate an overdive on move two or three if yo have to put a stall in on both sets of three cards in the sequence.
    If you strictly follow the rules, it all adds up to some interesting choices, although as the Oberst points out the stall is not designated as a straight.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I'm more concerned with the aircraft that fire guns whilst on fire. I'm sure there should be a penalty for that.
    There are any aspects of WoG that are "game" and this is one of them. It would, to my mind at least, be appropriate for a burning aircraft not to be able to fire at all, but that would give the layer controlling a burning plane a rather turgid three turns of game time. Gun jams are another aspect that springs to mind. Many times a gun just couldn't be cleared in the air and required the services of an armourer, but in WOG we know all will be well in three phases time. I'm fine with that. Its a game, its meant to be fun, not endured.

I think its all down to house rules and preferences. I think the following:

1. An aircraft on fire should not be able to fire...the pilot's mind is elsewhere.
    2. Again the emphasis on not flying straight may put firing out of the question anyway.
    3. For the over dive I don't think having to play a stall should hinder the maneuver. Just point the nose down and let gravity take over, if you want replace the straight withe the stall card.

Again personal choice, house rules, agreed on before play but hard to emplace in competitions and shows.
    See you on the Dark Side......

We are pretty much of a mind here Neil. i just had another thought to ameliorate the situation somewhat for Dave, who is right about the turgid time whilst on fire. Say a zero is drawn for the fire situation at the start of a turn. The fire could have abated somewhat and allow the pilot to fire during those three cards.
    However, we are now so far off the official rules, that maybe we should adjourn this discussion to the House rules section.
    Rob.

Thumbs up

Thanks Chaps for all you input!
    Me thinks I have opened a can of fiery worms!.

I also agree with the no firing rule, and will go one step further, in saying that a plane with engine damage and fire is out of the game, but you could attemp a landing to see if the pilot (and crew) survive. Just my views.

A lot to ponder. I agree with the 'any start of turn where the fire card is 0 (zero) then the pilot is free to do what he wishes. Only on turns where there is fire damage taken should there be no firing allowed.

We are pretty much of a mind here Neil. i just had another thought to ameliorate the situation somewhat for Dave, who is right about the turgid time whilst on fire. Say a zero is drawn for the fire situation at the start of a turn. The fire could have abated somewhat and allow the pilot to fire during those three cards.
    However, we are now so far off the official rules, that maybe we should adjourn this discussion to the House rules section.
    Rob.
    I think for the official game though it depends on circumstances. ie is it part of a campaign or a one off game. In a camapaign life preservation is probably paramount, whereas in a one off game who cares, cast caution to the wind and fight to a glorious fiery death.

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    A lot to ponder. I agree with the 'any start of turn where the fire card is 0 (zero) then the pilot is free to do what he wishes. Only on turns where there is fire damage taken should there be no firing allowed.

I think for the official game though it depends on circumstances. ie is it part of a campaign or a one off game. In a camapaign life preservation is probably paramount, whereas in a one off game who cares, cast caution to the wind and fight to a glorious fiery death.

Neil
    Yes I like that idea & approach Neil.

You all seem to treat a fire as some massive conflagration shooting back into the pilots face which I'm not sure is correct in all cases. I have to live with the no straight rule (which I think is lame too Mike), it just means I can't use 3 cards in my deck so no biggy, but not being able to shoot would be cruel & unnecessary punishment for those on fire. On that basis Rob would never get a round off at a show !!

Say a zero is drawn for the fire situation at the start of a turn. The fire could have abated somewhat and allow the pilot to fire during those three cards.
    I agree with the 'any start of turn where the fire card is 0 (zero) then the pilot is free to do what he wishes. Only on turns where there is fire damage taken should there be no firing allowed.
    I like this. It's a nod to the primal desire to not burn, but does not necessarily end one's day.

In a camapaign life preservation is probably paramount, whereas in a one off game who cares, cast caution to the wind and fight to a glorious fiery death.
    Completely agree with this one.

I stay with the official rules.

It's hard enough not to forget that straights are not allowed, if you're on fire.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

I like the "no straights" rule, even though it doesn't really make sense to me; and especially not to my RFC opponents when in pushers!

For one thing, it prevents burning planes from performing Immelmanns!

Theoretical, but...

Plane received Fire and Smoke at the same time. Next card, gets shot again and receives new Smoke (with previous, it'd be Fire again). Does he reset Fire track keeping or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Пилот View Post
    Theoretical, but...

Plane received Fire and Smoke at the same time. Next card, gets shot again and receives new Smoke (with previous, it'd be Fire again). Does he reset Fire track keeping or what?
    He should do.
    Rob.

Thanks, Rob!

Similar Missions

1. Immelmann, Climb, Stall, Rudder Damage, Overdivel and Fire!
    By Nicodemus in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-16-2013, 09:12
  2. Incendiary Bullets causing engine damage
    By celticgriffon in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-12-2013, 04:50
  3. Gimbal mount & fire damage - making it work
    By seanmyles in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-20-2013, 15:48
  4. Engine damage & Immelmann