Ares Games

Thread: The price of nostalgia

Default The price of nostalgia

I bought this when it came out in the mid-80s, cost around a fiver:

I bought the revamped version yesterday, cost £40

Still a good game though
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

That takes me back a bit, the original one. Wished I'd kept mine. Any, or many, differences between the two?
    See you on the Dark Side......

It seems to be getting a bit of a slating on BGG.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1156...and-last-games

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    It seems to be getting a bit of a slating on BGG.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1156...and-last-games
    We will have to see. If that's all he can find wrong with it, it isn't a total loss

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Any, or many, differences between the two?
    Yeah, about 35 squids

I had an eye on this product.

Never played it before.

I sacrified the fictional budget of this game for an additional SoG gaming mat.
    Voilą le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Still have my original. Damage system's clunky (die roll *plus* chit draw), but it makes for a nice response to the folks who insist on cluttering up _WoG_'s rulebook with inordinate detail -- "well, there's always _Blue Max_". :)

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Still have my original. Damage system's clunky (die roll *plus* chit draw), but it makes for a nice response to the folks who insist on cluttering up _WoG_'s rulebook with inordinate detail -- "well, there's always _Blue Max_".
    I agree Chris.
    I don't mind the discussions so much until they start going in ever decreasing circles,
    but then we can, as you quite rightly say, direct them to "Blue Max."
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Must admit never played this - was more a Richthoven's War man. Be interested in knowing what you think after a few games though - my wallet, not so much

Quote Originally Posted by Archidamus View Post
    Must admit never played this - was more a Richthoven's War man. Be interested in knowing what you think after a few games though - my wallet, not so much :D
    I can give you a short form now:

Movement is "plot from a list of available moves, then move simultaneously", in the vein of _Crimson Skies_ or _Check Your 6!_. It uses a hex map, so there's less faffing about with "are they overlapping or not?". _RW_ allows more variety in movement, but has that annoying "I go, you go" setup.

Combat is, as noted, a bit clunky -- one rolls d6s to see if one hits, rolls again to see how many and what type of chits to draw, *then* draws chits to see what damage was actually taken. (It's a Game Designers' Workshop game -- no more need be said. :) )

Damage is the usual "hit points, plus chances for criticals"; _BM_ does make a distinction between different parts of the unit, tho' (Wing DP and Tail DP are separate, for ex.), so it's a bit more detailed than the others.

It's more detailed than _WoG_, and a bit more than _RW_, but does not achieve the anal-retentiveness of _Aces High_ by 3W. If it weren't for the clunky combat mechanism, I'd risk recommending it over _WoG_ here.

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    I can give you a short form now:

Movement is "plot from a list of available moves, then move simultaneously",
    Sounds just like WoG, just without cards

I have a few GDW games but never this one. Mine were AH games. Air Force and Richton's War. Both were great games. I f I remember right System 7 (Napoleonic) was a GDW game and had a great time playing it.

The game company doesn't always dictate the quality of a game. SPI had some of the greatest, and some real stinkers.
    Overall, I liked the GDW games I played.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

GT,
    If the nostalgia for 'Blue Max' remains strong, try it's successor 'Canvas Eagles', available for download free on the web. The counters and other gaming aids for 'Blue Max' come in handy for it. 'Canvas Eagles' gets around the IGYG issue by simultaneous plotted movement.
    BdeB

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick62 View Post
    GT,
    If the nostalgia for 'Blue Max' remains strong, try it's successor 'Canvas Eagles', available for download free on the web. The counters and other gaming aids for 'Blue Max' come in handy for it. 'Canvas Eagles' gets around the IGYG issue by simultaneous plotted movement.
    BdeB
    Yes Balders, got that as well. In fact I'm a sucker for any games with a WW1 plane involved

I've got the original and I play it online and still love it.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Sounds just like WoG, just without cards
    Except it's completely different -- hexes rather than gridless; lot more options for moving, including moving at different speeds; and so on. Saying "it's just like _WoG_" is like saying an elephant and a cat are just like each other on the basis of them both being four-legged mammals....

The execution is obviously different, the basic premise is the same - a set of manoeuvres for a type of aircraft from which you can choose that defines your end point and attitude. In one case executed using cards, in the other by defining the end hex. In the same way that, say, X Wing and WGF are "the same but not the same" (which was what I was hinting at, and the purpose of the )

You can always try this version. It costs nothing to play and I have about 5 games going at the moment.

http://www.youplay.it

You brought up nostalgia. I was in my shed today getting ready to cut the grass and saw this just sitting there. It has been there for a number of years but never paid attention to it until now. Close to a 50 year old game. Hope some remember it. I can't remember the last time I played this game.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4-27-2014 3;46;05 PM.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	175.7 KB 
ID:	131152
    Last edited by BobP; 04-27-2014 at 13:04.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    You brought up nostalgia. I was in my shed today getting ready to cut the grass and saw this just sitting there. It has been there for a number of years but never paid attention to it until now. Close to a 50 year old game. Hope some remember it. I can't remember the last time I played this game.
    My brother and I still play (a much newer) copy of Stratego. I love playing it. It has simple mechanics and an element of suspense.

Nice link Zoe. Some class games there. Especially 'Wooden Ships, Iron Men'.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    You can always try this version. It costs nothing to play and I have about 5 games going at the moment.

http://www.youplay.it
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Nice link Zoe. Some class games there. Especially 'Wooden Ships, Iron Men'.

Neil
    Not all Aussies are called Zoe, Neil

(some of them are called Sheila)

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Not all Aussies are called Zoe, Neil

(some of them are called Sheila)
    ...and some of them are called 'Garry'

What about Bruce?
    Kyte.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    What about Bruce?
    Kyte.
    As in: "Nice to see you, to see you - nice"?

(Probably anyone outside the U.K. hasn't a scooby what that was about )

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    As in: "Nice to see you, to see you - nice"?

(Probably anyone outside the U.K. hasn't a scooby what that was about )
    More as in Monty Python.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f_p0CgPeyA

Rob.

Similar Missions

1. WGS The price may be a 'Reisen' to buy these
    By Dowters in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-28-2014, 11:21
  2. WWII Nostalgia
    By clipper1801 in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-09-2013, 03:57
  3. WGF Petersplanes price changes
    By pbhawkin in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 0