Ares Games

Thread: "Before there were Fighters" December 1915 --- An Early Doors WW1 Prequel Scenario #1

Default "Before there were Fighters" December 1915 --- An Early Doors WW1 Prequel Scenario #1

Leutnant Karl Toffeleiter and Leutnant Johanne Zweibelsuppe were busy directing artillery fire. Johanne, in the rear was following the fall of shot and doing his best to hold up a coloured flag which hopefully the artillery officer on the ground was observing and telephoning the battery to correct the fall of shot. Their brand new Roland CII was excellent for this type of mission.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roland CII Frente Occidental.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	129315

Karl tapped Johanne on the shoulder, turning round Johanne could see a British two seater approaching them, it looked like a BE2. Now he was glad they weren't in their old crate an out of date Taube.

Name:	ArticleImages-image-381.jpg 
Size:	15.7 KB 
ID:	129316
    2Lt John Smith was surprised to see a German 2 Seater, a type he couldn't recognise. He leaned back and indicated to his pilot, sitting behind him that an enemy plane was right in front of them. 2Lt Harry Worth gave John a hearty thumbs up and indicated they would take the Hun on. John stopped his current task of artillery spotting and loaded his lewis gun and moved it from the rear mount to the left/side mount ready for Harry's turn.

Both aircraft closed at a combined speed of nearly 220 mph. John got the drop on the Hun and squeezed off a burst careful not to expend too much ammo from his small drum.

Name:	P1040150 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	226.0 KB 
ID:	129317
    John was rewarded with watching a line of bullet holed appear in the Hun's tail and rudder as they hurtled past each other. To his horror he saw the Hun observer turn his own machine gun to face the British aircraft. Johanne held his fire until the wingtips of both aircraft nearly touched then he pressed the trigger and watched as bullet after bullet thudded into the British plane.

Name:	P1040152 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	227.9 KB 
ID:	129318

John switched the Lewis to the rear mount and squeezed off a few rounds as the German observer did too. John was happy to see the German striking his machine gun as it suddenly stopped firing. Just as soon as they were in range they were out of range and started to circle round.

Name:	P1040154 (480x640).jpg 
Size:	219.7 KB 
ID:	129319

It seemed like ages before both aircraft had circled round again and were charging head to head again. John knew he had an advantage, the Hun couldn't fire forward, so deftly he changed his Lewis back to left/side and fired a quick burst. He missed.

Name:	P1040155 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	232.4 KB 
ID:	129320

Both aircraft closed at 220 mph again. John waited and waited, Johanne held his nerve. Both fired together. The result was a disaster...for the British duo. Smoke and flames were pouring out of the BE2 as Harry tried to guide it towards the ground he struggled all the way down but the inevitable was only seconds away. BOOM. The BE2 hit the ground and John was catapulted out of his seat. How he missed the propeller and lewis mount he couldn't remember. But poor Harry was trapped and there was nothing he could do for his friend.

Name:	P1040158 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	190.7 KB 
ID:	129321

Karl and Johanne shook hands. There first kill. Now to nurse their battered aircraft back home and a well earned lunch.

The Butchers Bill:

Name:	P1040159 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	201.1 KB 
ID:	129323

2Lt John Smith/FLM
    rolled 2d6=8-2(Flamer)=6 In hiding miss 1d3 scenarios.
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4461047/

2Lt Harry Worth (Obs)/FLM
    rolled 2d6=4-2(Flamer)=2 KIA
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4461048/

Name:	P1040160 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	204.2 KB 
ID:	129324
    Leutnant Karl Toffeleiter: RTB
    Leutnant Johanne Zweibelsuppe: RTB/1 kill.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Great AAR, Neil! Love the seeing the Roland go to work, but the outcome was anything but certain up until the very end!

Another "flaming good" AAR Neil - shame about poor Harry Worth, but lets hope 2Lt Smith get back safely (sorry, but I have to support the Entente crew). However, congrats to Toffeleiter and Zweibelsuppe on their victory

Well, that was a comprehensive result for the CPs. I hope I don't meet that pair on my travels.
    Well done for another great AAr. Neil.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

It so nearly went the other way. John Smith was deadly with the Lewis and if not for the fire card being drawn first the 3 damage+pilot wound would have gone to the Roland crew. That would have put me on 14 damage and probably a wounded observer.

Meant to thank you, Neil... I'm glad you posted an AAR featuring a brand spanking new Roland flying in late December 1915. Precedent and all that.

The only other German 2 seater I have early wars is a Taube. kindly given to me by Trev (Brambo).

I have two Shapeways early Albatros... but they've been sitting on my work bench for more than 6 months at this point. And I've yet to get started on them. Not a high level of confidence that they'll get into flying condition before the end of April.

So a Roland it will be for me!

My Rumpler CI is almost done. Just a touch up and markings. I just put in an decal order with Dom. Don't know how long it will take to get to the States.
    I'll have to do something temporary for my battles till they arrive.

Nice looking planes you've got there Neil, in a great little early shoot out.

Got to get a couple of early Hun 2 seaters. Rumpler CI for one at a loss for a second. I'm also looking at the Sopwith 11/2 strutter two seater too.

Albatros C.I or C.III Neil ?

Crew added to the roster - Nicely done old chap !

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Albatros C.I or C.III Neil ?

Crew added to the roster - Nicely done old chap !
    Solid choices. Numerous, and reasonably effective.

I have one of each... but still sporting their WSF factory finish.

Great AAR enjoyed it a lot. How many cards does it take to change gun from one place to another?

Didn't work that one out. Just worked on the premise that you lifted it out and placed it in.
    (guessed pin and hole - don't know if it had a locking mechanism ie another pin).
    Each card is 3 seconds roughly so say once every 3 cards. Time to lift, replace and aim.

Thoughts anyone?

Neil

That's the way I'd play it Neil. Once three cards were played, unless a steep maneuver were in progress. Discount that card in the count.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Just watched Zeppelins over London and one of the aircraft they flew (replica) was a BE2C and the pilot was flying it with no hands explaining that was why the crew liked it as it was such a stable platform. So I suppose 10 seconds is viable to lift and move and replace the lewis to another position.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    That's the way I'd play it Neil. Once three cards were played, unless a steep maneuver were in progress. Discount that card in the count.
    Rob.

3 cards works for me... that would make it equivalent to the length in time it takes to reload a Lewis or correct a jam, correct?

Great AAR Neil, love the action. I agree with the three card rule for changing gun mount. I'm going to have to find the time to get back into this.

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTT Early Doors Prequel#2 - Let The Hunt Begin (Archidamus - Entente)
    By Archidamus in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-27-2014, 05:04
  2. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-13-2014, 15:09
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-13-2014, 08:08
  4. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-15-2014, 15:13
  5. BRF "Before there were Fighters"---An Early Doors WW1 Prequel Scenario #1
    By gully_raker in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 25