Ares Games

Thread: Plane stats verification

Question Plane stats verification

I was playing a game last night with my wife, each using a combination of single seat scouts and two-seater aircraft. One of the planes I was flying was the DeHaviland DH4 (Atkey). We both were a little confused over the damage stats on both the plane base and the card itself. The damage reads (quite clearly) "B/A". The text for two-seater aircraft, as it appears in the WWI Deluxe Miniature rulebook (as well as the Burning Drachen's PDF I have) reads:

Most two-seater planes have two different red letters on
    their base: The first one is for the front machine gun,
    and the second one is for the rear machine gun
    . Some
    have just one letter for the rear-firing machine gun, and
    no front ones.
    Here's the rub: the plane model clearly has a twin barrel gun mounted in front of the pilot, leaving the observer with only a single barrel turret in the back. How can this be? The card and the base both read "B/A" (meaning the rear gun delivers "A" type damage from a twin barrel gun), while the model clearly indicates otherwise. Also, I have a player-made PDF listing all of the series 1-3 miniatures, along with their stats. This lists the DeHaviland planes as "A/B" -- again, this cannot be possible unless my plane card and the plane base are misprints.

Help me shed some light on this, as I was under the impression that two-seater planes (if they even fire "A" damage at all) almost always have the twin barrel gun mounted in the front (excluding the DeHaviland DH4 American Airco).

Cheers,
    Keegan

There's three different configurations for the DH4 in WoW: B/B, B/A and A/A. There isn't an A/B version in the game.

That one's definitely B/A, as marked on the card and base (and on the card that came with WTB). They all use the same model regardless of the weapons actually fitted. Go to any webstore selling them to check the pictures for yourself if you wish to confirm this.
    e.g. http://www.iguk.co.uk/categories/win...0&InStockOnly=
    Last edited by IRM; 08-06-2010 at 11:52.

Quote Originally Posted by IRM View Post
    There's three different configurations for the DH4 in WoW: B/B, B/A and A/A. There isn't an A/B version in the game.
    Which only adds to the irony of the model...

You can file one off easier than you can stick one on

In the italian version of WoW web site there's a page about Dh.4:

http://www.wingsofwar.it/read.asp?id=3048

The article indicates:

- a Vickers 0.303 machine-gun
    - a Lewis 0.303 machine-gun on a Scarff ring

as weaponry for all versions.

But in a Wikipedia article is indicated a different weaponry for the USA Dh.4:

"two .30 in (7.62 mm) Marlin machine guns in the nose and two .30 in (7.62 mm) Lewis guns in the rear"

and in another site I found:

"one 0.303 in. Vickers machine gun for the pilot (early RNAS machines had twin Vickers) and one 0.303 in. Lewis machine gun, on either a double yoked pair or a Scarff ring mounting for the Observer"

I suppose these differences could justify a front/rear different damage letter for the three models to depict different weaponry versions.

I suppose....
    Last edited by Attila57; 08-06-2010 at 13:52.

Smile

Thanks for the help fellas!

Similar Missions

1. P-47 stats?
    By The Juggernaut in forum WGS: House Rules
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-30-2011, 15:54
  2. Plane or Card?
    By =Binks= in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-05-2010, 16:52
  3. Complete Plane Stats?