Ares Games

Thread: Bessonneau Hangar Build

Default Bessonneau Hangar Build

So my hanger arrived, well protected by a card stock shell . . .

Or so I thought . . .

I so wish our schools taught physics! The shell protected the frame and distorted it under its protective pressure, the frame had no way to adjust to the pressure other than deforming the hanger frame : (

But we have a solution! Bring on the electric kettle!

A plastic container of the appropriate size, half filled with cool water . . . insert the warped frame . . . hot water (not boiling!) is carefully added

The frame snapped back to its original shape and left to cool/dry over the towel, see how nice and straight it is now!

Three more bends to the top card stock would have made the frame happy upon delivery, I sent this to Shapeways.

Meanwhile the frame is ready to cover. I am contemplating painting it with CA to increase its strength before the covering stage which will be a light paper preshrunk and destressed and applied al a papier mache with white glue thinned . . . where did those French elves go . . .

Ingenious! And I agree... physics should be required material.

Grrrr, in this case the Shapeways attempt to be "protective" made things worse. When I got my test print, they just tossed it in a plastic bag and either threw it in the box with other prints (and a dose of bubble wrap) or they wrapped it separately. But in either case, it arrived without distortion.

I'm glad to hear the hot-water treatment was effective!

I think you'll find the frame itself is very strong for its weight, if it's under "normal" conditions.

We are brown now . . .

The wonders of spray paint!

With the Sopwith you can get an idea of the size, now I need to contemplate a base and the degree of detail for it as well . . .

I ordered 4 of them all but one arrived no warpage, one with slight warp now know how to correct that, thanks clipper. I am using the flat bits of packing as base to hold hangar square it should also give solid base to attach cover.

I'm looking at those and thinking what a pity to cover all that structural work. Then I decided it would make a good burnt out hanger.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Beautiful work as usual, David. Given the size of the hangar, one could comfortably fit six planes into one of those no?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I'm looking at those and thinking what a pity to cover all that structural work. Then I decided it would make a good burnt out hanger.
    Rob.
    That's a brilliant idea, Rob! With some blackened debris around the base it should do the trick.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Thijs
    Sorties Flown

Or cover it half making it a half cut open hangar to display your planes! Maybe some clear plastic on the See through Side?

Similar Missions

1. Hangar Tray Update
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 231
    Last Post: 12-05-2015, 10:45
  2. Have we seen this before? - Free paper hangar
    By Guntruck in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-25-2011, 18:34
  3. Where is the WWI Hangar cutout
    By Ed2 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 5