Ares Games

Thread: das Phantom, Custom Paint Job

Default das Phantom, Custom Paint Job

As requested, here are photos of "das Phantom" my fictional Jasta 11 pilot. I'm an old infantry guy, so I took inspiration from what the Germans called the U.S. Infantry at Bastogne "das Phantoms" as they seemed to be "everywhere and nowhere", and of course some how my nerdy brain took me for further inspiration to the old school comic book character "the Phantom". The scheme is a bit dark, but it looks great in the air. Yes, I know the Phantom rode a white horse, none the less, I enjoyed designing and painting my interpretation. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	235.0 KB 
ID:	128165Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Size:	195.8 KB 
ID:	128166Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	171.4 KB 
ID:	128167Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 4.jpg 
Size:	200.6 KB 
ID:	128168Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 5.jpg 
Size:	185.2 KB 
ID:	128169

My next project will be a few planes of the historical Jasta 11 "Flying Circus".

Oooooh, that's pretty!
    Really nice paint job - like it lots!

That's a great paint job! Vibrant colors and clean lines... very well done!

Quote Originally Posted by das Phantom View Post
    My next project will be a few planes of the historical Jasta 11 "Flying Circus".
    Looking forward to them!

I do believe, however, that Jasta 11 wasn't referred to as the "Flying Circus" until it was combined with Jastas 4, 6, and 10 into Jagdgeschwader 1 (JG1) in June of 1917... and it was JG1 that gained that appellation.

Excellent paint job, and a cool idea.

Really nice card, too. How was that done, if I can ask? As a budding card producer, I am interested in clean base graphics.

Mike

As requested, here are photos of "das Phantom" my fictional Jasta 11 pilot. I'm an old infantry guy, so I took inspiration from what the Germans called the U.S. Infantry at Bastogne "das Phantoms" as they seemed to be "everywhere and nowhere", and of course some how my nerdy brain took me for further inspiration to the old school comic book character "the Phantom". The scheme is a bit dark, but it looks great in the air. Yes, I know the Phantom rode a white horse, none the less, I enjoyed designing and painting my interpretation. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do...

Name:	photo 1.jpg 
Size:	235.0 KB 
ID:	128165Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Size:	195.8 KB 
ID:	128166Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3.jpg 
Size:	171.4 KB 
ID:	128167Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 4.jpg 
Size:	200.6 KB 
ID:	128168Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 5.jpg 
Size:	185.2 KB 
ID:	128169

Wow now that's a really nice custom paint job there Wayne

Thats really nice. Maybe thats the starter for a thread for people to produce the paint job for the plane they would fly if they were an ace?

Thanks for all the positive comments gentlemen. The paint job did come out great, but the photos actually helped me find a few tiny spots to touch up. So posting here was a great idea. Thanks Baron Rolf. And, it did enable me to improve a bit more (for us anal types) on my paint job. Yes, I painted the underside of the wings with stripes as well.

As for the card. I use a lot of one and two hair brushes for painting fine details, and that's what I used on the card. It's one shot painting, but it came out quite acceptable to me. When done, I clear coated it with a gloss finish. For the plane I used P3 paints and finished it with Army Painter "Anti-Shine".

Thanks again for all your kind comments. Cheers! "das Phantom" aka Wayne

I love the colour scheme Wayne.
    At least your adversaries will be under no illusions as to who shot them down.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Very nice paint job Wayne, great colours - that should fit right in with any Jasta.

I have moved this thread to the Hobby Room - please checkout the instructions for the Painting Showcase & add your pictures to the 'Official Fokker Dr1 painting thread'

Had to tweak him just a bit... added a pilot (yep, goggles and scarf) to my creation.
    Also is a Wulfram Von Richthofen that I finished up today. Yep, had to do a pilot for that plane as well. I still have a lot to paint, but Jasta 11 will slowly grow. Enjoy! "Das Phantom" aka Wayne

Name:	Wulfram 1.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	164.0 KB 
ID:	128182Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Das Phantom Pilot.jpg 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	128177Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wulfram 2.jpg 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	128179Attachment 128180
    Last edited by das Phantom; 03-28-2014 at 13:23.

All I can say is OUTSTANDING (and not in field).

Thumbs up

You have done wonderful work there Wayne including the Card.
    Look forward to seeing more of your Jasta!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Hector
    Sorties Flown

Allow me to pile on the accolades as well. Very well done.

Well done Wayne looks great from a fellow 11B

Nicely done, it gave me a feel of a 1930 air novel. The Phathom strikes again.

Very nicely done, Wayne. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.
    Interesting idea, painting the custom cards
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Another nice paint job there Wayne, now what's your next Dr.I that you're planning on doing for Jasta 11?

Good job Wayne.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Weiss. He has a great record of 16 kills and was fun to paint.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jasta 11.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	128363

Amazing paint job. Incredibly unique. All of the Phantom's foes will have no doubt who they've flown against.

Thanks much! Here is all of my Jasta 11... Lets say this is Udet in Hans Kirschstein's hand me down and of course "Das Phantom". Cheers!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My Jasta 11.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	269.7 KB 
ID:	128368

They certainly look very fine flying together like that Wayne.
    I expect the Phantom will take some of the pressure off the Red Baron when everyone decides to have a go at him instead. We've had the Flying Circus, now try the Opera.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Great looking kites, Wayne. Very nice.

Great looking planes Wayne. Those pilots with scarfs are a nice addition.

A great bit of painting, Wayne!

As for the card. I use a lot of one and two hair brushes for painting fine details, and that's what I used on the card. It's one shot painting, but it came out quite acceptable to me. When done, I clear coated it with a gloss finish. For the plane I used P3 paints and finished it with Army Painter "Anti-Shine".

... "das Phantom" aka Wayne
    Wayne,

(there's no "OMG" emoticon!) You painted a Card?!? Really? That explains the high quality of graphics and letters/numbers for the stats. Crazy.

So, I'm not getting graphic files from you for future Photoshop work? OK. But if you do up another plane, consider asking one of the forum members to make a card for you, rather than paint a card. I don't mean to fault your awesome painting skills, but it might be easier for you.

I did up five cards for my "Black Flight" Sopwith Triplanes repaints, so I could tackle a Dr.1. Check my Custom Card Album. And I'm not the best on the sight, either. Others do cards, too.

Mike

Great point! That is so true! Lots more to paint! Cheers! "Das Phantom" aka Wayne

Similar Missions

1. WGSF P-38 Paint up!
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-27-2013, 23:54
  2. B-25 paint job
    By BobP in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-17-2012, 14:15
  3. WGF French SPAD XIII for trade – custom paint job
    By Timmo UK in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-01-2012, 08:28
  4. WGF Hardest Builds & paint - Easyest Build & paint.
    By Fabric Flyer in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-04-2012, 00:07
  5. Paint your own?
    By lancer77 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-21-2011, 14:58