Ares Games

Thread: Initial Engagement

Question Initial Engagement

Hi fellow gamers,

All of the sorties I've flown have the two players at the opposite side of the table at the start of the game. I want to be able to start the initial engagement surprising both players forcing them to react rather than starting with an aerial joust.

Any suggestions?

Volant Gun.

have you tried the random placement from the files section of this site?

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...do=file&id=197

Quote Originally Posted by Volant Gun View Post
    Hi fellow gamers,

All of the sorties I've flown have the two players at the opposite side of the table at the start of the game. I want to be able to start the initial engagement surprising both players forcing them to react rather than starting with an aerial joust.

Any suggestions?

Volant Gun.
    Have you tried the Random Placement Diagram? We use it every week.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...do=file&id=197

Woops just noticed tuladin beat me to it.

Thumbs up Perfect

This is what I was looking for.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Have Fun,
    Volant Gun.

That diagram is way cool. That's why I love this site!! There's always something new (to me) that I haven't discovered yet!

Scott

Try these for ideas.

EASY PICKINGS
    A damaged two-seater must make it back to friendly lines.

Players : 2 – 4

German Player: Two scouts.
    When the Allied player has finished setting up, the German player places his fighters a rulers distance in from any long edge, both planes can be no further apart than a rulers length.

Allied Player ; One two-seater and one scout (Ace).
    One two seater with a damaged engine, must use one stall manoeuvre every turn, also take two damage cards from the A deck at the beginning of the turn, ignore any special damage, the plane starts half a ruler distance from the German side of the table. The Ace aircraft may enter at the beginning of any turn after turn two and after players have chosen their manoeuvre cards but before movement. On a die score of 1,2,3 or 4 he may place his aircraft a ruler and a half distance from the tail of any enemy plane, on a score of 5,6 he can be one ruler’s distance from his victim and can claim tailing. The Ace is also allowed to choose an ability*. The game then proceeds as normal.

Winning Conditions : the two-seater must make it off the friendly table edge. The Ace must shoot down at least one enemy plane and the Germans must shoot down the two-seater and escape off their table edge with at least one plane.

BOUNCED
    A larger group of planes is surprised by a smaller number.

Players : any number

Planes ; all fighters, the ambushers must have at least one less plane than the ambushed group, or two less if they have superior planes or you wish to give them an Ace.

German player : when the Allied player is finished setting up, the German player places his fighters at one of the cardinal points on the map, chosen by a die roll to see which direction the ambush is coming from. They must all be within half a ruler distance of each other, all face the same way and be at least a ruler and a half distance from the enemy group. Once placed they choose their manoeuvre cards and the turn then proceeds as normal.

Allied player : sets his group up in the centre of the map and they must plot their first three manoeuvres (no Immelmanns and one stall for each plane). All planes must be within half a ruler distance of a friendly scout.

Winning Conditions : the ambush group must shoot down more planes than the enemy.

FIRST TIME UNLUCKY
    A new pilot out for his first patrol is being shown the ropes when he comes to the attention of some enemy veterans.

Players: 2 – 6

German Player: Three Scouts (two aces and one normal pilot)
    The three Scouts must be no more than half a ruler from a friendly aircraft. Dice for direction of attack using a 6 sided die and the cardinal points. They start up to half a rulers distance from the edge of the table. The Aces can choose one ability*.

Allied Player: Three Scouts (one ace, one normal and one rookie pilot)
    All aircraft begin in formation in the centre of the table, again no more than half a ruler distance can separate them from another airplane. The Ace can choose one ability*, the rookie cannot perform an Immelmann, or a sharp right or left turn if the aircraft can do so and must play a one stall each turn, he must also use the B damage deck no matter whether he has one gun or two.

Winning Conditions: The Germans must shoot down the Rookie, or more planes than they lose. The Allies must prevent the rookie falling to the enemy. The Rookie can try and escape off his own edge of the table once he receives 75% damage.

Thumbs up

Great ideas!
    Thanks George.
    VG

I like the ideas of the slightly unbalanced play. It conforms to so many accounts and anecdotes as told by real pilots of the period. When you play a sortie of this kind it always gives a more exciting edge to the game. The under dogs try to do better than expected, and the stronger team try to avoid coming out with egg on their faces. With a one on one it is much easier to blame the run of the cards if you are the loser, but not if you have four planes to three and still fail to get that kill.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

We have played a variant that uses a six sided die to add some variation. One side will be the attacker and will start out on their side of the table. The mission is will be something like a photo recon, trench strafing, balloon busting etc. At the end of every turn starting with the first, we roll the die and if the result is equal to or less than that turn number, the other side gets to enter the table a half ruler's distance from any edge on their side of the table.