Ares Games

Thread: Martin Maryland.

Default Martin Maryland.

Here are a few shots of my Shapeways Martin Maryland. A fine print in no mistake. Needed hardly any prepping save for the sealer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_4817.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	127668

Name:	DSC_4818.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	127669

Name:	DSC_4822.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	127672

Name:	DSC_4821.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	127671

Name:	DSC_4823.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	127673

Name:	DSC_4824.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	127674

Rob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_4820.jpg  
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

That looks really nice. I especially like those spinning props, a great touch.

Ian

Very nice job, Rob. Indeed, those spinning props do the model justice.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Thank you very much for those remarks about the props.
    I am only standing on the shoulders of the giants who introduced me to the idea, cutter, and method of enhancing said discs. They are all worthy members of the Drome and deserve the real credit.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Thank you very much for those remarks about the props.
    I am only standing on the shoulders of the giants who introduced me to the idea, cutter, and method of enhancing said discs. They are all worthy members of the Drome and deserve the real credit.
    Rob.
    Perhaps so, Rob, but you did the execution. For that:
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Great model, Rob.

Four MGs in the wings and two MGs in the turret.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Perhaps so, Rob, but you did the execution. For that:
    Karl
    Totally. Some of the best "prop effects" I've seen here.

Great plane Rob and just how did you get the spin effect on your cut props?
    See you on the Dark Side......

Stuck it in the drilling machine and held a bit of emery cloth against it as it rotated.
    Rob.

Thumbs up

Thats just a super job Rob!
    Beautifully done.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Steve
    Sorties Flown

Hi guys I’ve just got a Martin Maryland from shapeways has anyone done a card for the plane ? I see the stats are D(b) B/A 22 ceiling 10 climb 5 and HF base and the ace Adrian warburton dso* dfc ** dfc (USA) 5 confirmed kills , Steve.

This is the one done for me way back in 2014 if it is of any help.
    Rob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Martin167Maryland.jpg  

Users Country Flag

Name
    Steve
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    This is the one done for me way back in 2014 if it is of any help.
    Rob.
    Excellent thank you

If you get in touch with Mike (OldGuy59) He may have something more up to date and in with the current style of card for you.
    Rob.

Steve. The current unofficial stats for the Maryland are a D(b) maneuver deck; 22 hits, 10, ceiling, 5 climb, on a heavy fighter base.
    The front fixed guns are B/A; if you are flying in formation, I would limit the arc to 12:00. The rear turret is listed as the rear arc, but I think I confused it with the Baltimore,
    so the dorsal turret should be 360 higher, and the pictured arc with the tail blindspot for level. The ventral gun is still rear arc, low. Both are A/A, and the gunner/radio operator has to switch between them.
    Karl

Users Country Flag

Name
    Steve
    Sorties Flown

Thanks for the excellent info Karl

This post now shows a completed, if not correct card.

Name:	WGS-Work-Maryland-69Sqn-MaltaV2.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	148.2 KB 
ID:	289821
    [Edit: Dorsal Turret Firing Arcs redone.]

So, this is probably a Maryland Mk.I, with the single gun dorsal turret. Crew of three, with no ability to change positions. The Bombadier could fly the plane, as well as bomb, and could probably use the wing guns as well.

There was a gun in a rear ventral position, fired by the Radio Operator/Gunner in a separate compartment in the rear. I was going to pass on the management card, but with the rear gunner controlling two positions, it might be needed.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 07-05-2020 at 10:22.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

I searched the web, but can't find any internal views, so how difficult it would be for the gunner to switch is tough to say.
    I would assume the pilot fires the wing guns off the control yoke, since they are fixed.
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Attachment 289725

Took this picture of a Maurder model at the Glenn L, Martin museum in Middle River, MD. It is a small museum but has a lot of desplays and info. I didn't know about this museum but went there to see the MEMPHIS BELLE when she was there in 2013. I don't live far so was just a short drive.
    But this is the Martin MARYLAND thread...…..
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Redirected Tim.
    Thanks.
    Rob.

I searched the web, but can't find any internal views, so how difficult it would be for the gunner to switch is tough to say.
    I would assume the pilot fires the wing guns off the control yoke, since they are fixed.
    Karl
    Yeah. Without my usual resource, the Comox Air Force Museum Library, or when that doesn't provide sufficiently detailed answers, I resort to model sites. They sometimes show internal images of the construction, that allow some extrapolation.

Like this one: www.tapatalk.com - Martin Maryland

From the images on that site, among others, I assume getting around inside a Maryland is not possible. The plane has separate entrances for each crew member, based on external images, as well. I note there was a control yoke in both the bombadier/nav position, as well as the pilot position. There was an anicdote about the b/n taking control of the plane when P/O Adrian Warburton was injured and passed out. Anyway, lacking better sources, I'm going with non-transferable positions.

PS: Another site with a view of the ventral postition (At least, I can extrapolate it): goldeneramodel.com - Maryland
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 07-04-2020 at 10:00.
    Mike

Sorry. It was built in the same plant so I got it confused. Just thought showing something from the museum would be ok. I also get those Martin planes mixed up.
    Last edited by BobP; 07-04-2020 at 11:30.

Ok so here is a picture of a plate that has the Maryland, Maurder and Baltimore on it.

Name:	DCP_6399.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	289742

This post now shows the Management Card...

Name:	WGS-Work-Maryland-69Sqn-Malta_Mngmnt.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	157.1 KB 
ID:	289823
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 07-05-2020 at 11:03.
    Mike

Users Country Flag

Name
    Steve
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    This post will eventually show the Management Card, when the fervor settles down about the Plane Card I just posted above...
    Excellent card mike exactly what I wanted , thanks to everyone for the help , Steve

Mike: I'm wondering why you drew the tail blind spot so narrow. Given that Andrea has much wider ones on official aircraft.

Karl

Guess what I am going to be begging for soon Mike? My card is well out of date with current thinking.
    Rob.

Mike: I'm wondering why you drew the tail blind spot so narrow. Given that Andrea has much wider ones on official aircraft.

Karl
    I didn't expect that firing arc to get by you, Karl. I was lazy and used the Blenheim arc, which was in the template I used to start the Maryland card.

Now fixed above, and I've added the Management card to Post #26.
    Mike

Users Country Flag

Name
    Steve
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    I didn't expect that firing arc to get by you, Karl. I was lazy and used the Blenheim arc, which was in the template I used to start the Maryland card.

Now fixed above, and I've added the Management card to Post #26.
    Excellent cards

Similar Missions

1. WGSF Official Martin Maryland Painting Thread
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-04-2016, 21:26
  2. Martin Museum planes
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-07-2013, 11:57