Ares Games

Thread: Official Fairey Swordfish painting thread.

Default Official Fairey Swordfish painting thread.

Here is a close up of my new Shapeways Swordfish.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_4655.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	126064

Name:	DSC_4656.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	126065

Rob.
    Last edited by flash; 03-15-2014 at 01:04.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Very nice work Rob - 'bout time the Stringbag featured here !

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Very nice work Rob - 'bout time the Stringbag featured here !
    My very thoughts Dave.
    Rob.

Very nice, Rob. And inspiring for when my own FAA planes hit the bench (not Swordfish, but something of a surprise).
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Very nice, Rob. And inspiring for when my own FAA planes hit the bench (not Swordfish, but something of a surprise).
    Karl
    That is intriguing Karl.
    I can't wait to see what you are plotting.
    Rob.

Your Swordfish look great! It is much better to use them than to do what I have done and use Gladiators as stand ins.

I mentioned in the B.17 thread another of the games I have put together. These pics are my repaints of F-Toys to represent Swordfish from 815,819,813 and 824 squadrons at Taranto.
    Each aircraft is identified and the game participants had playsheets with breif details of the crews and their performance on the night.
    The participation game was played at several shows during 2011 and some of you may have seen the write up in Miniature Warfare. The game was very popular and we picked up the Salute Challenger trophy for it.
    815 squadron aircraft had temporary black undersides since they had been engaged on night raiding during their deployment. Surprisingly the red/white/blue roundels were not overpainted on the underwing! The other aircraft taking part in the raid were in the standard finish.
    This was my first forray into 1/144 scale and my first attempts to make some of the transfers. I had to do that since the original F-Toys were painted silver.
    The absence of one crew member and the defensive machine gun can be noticed and in their place a long range fuel tank is fitted into the cockpit. Totally terrifying because they were a bit leaky.

Rusty (Tim)

Name:	swordfishsmaller2.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	184929Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Taranto 5smalleragain.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	119.2 KB 
ID:	184930

Glad to have some company at long last Tim.
    It was getting lonely up here.
    A very smart bunch they are too.
    I only have six myself, but once again a post moves me to action. Now where are those Albacores?
    Rob.

Morning all
    Your models look stunning
    I am planning a game and wondered if anyone has a card for a swordfish mine do not look as good as yours but they will do the trick for a game if I can get a stat card?

Regards Kev

Name:	<acronym title=WGS FaireySwordfish-823SqnCard.png  Views: 113  Size: 562.2 KB  ID: 203026" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Way too long in getting this done, sorry.

From the USC WWII Notes file:

Any maneuver deck with the modifier (Z) uses Zoe Brain’s system of moving just the length of the arrow on the card. These are for very slow planes, and may be further modified.
    Note 3 applies: Radial engines: these aircraft have radial engines.
    Link: Very Slow Aircraft

Link: Slow Aircaft Rules (without special cards needed)
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 07-24-2016 at 16:10.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

There are now 9 specific Swordfish cards for Taranto in my WWII Seaplane Album, if someone wanted them.

WWII Seaplanes Album
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Very well done! Just what I need for my second Glorious. . .

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    There are now 9 specific Swordfish cards for Taranto in my WWII Seaplane Album, if someone wanted them.

WWII Seaplanes Album
    Someone certainly wanted them, and those Fulmers.
    Thanks once again Mike.
    Rob.

Default Taranto Swordfish

Hi Mike
    After all your hard work please see attach pictures from Taranto we had a great game

Thanks Kev

Attachment 204253Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1511.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	164.1 KB 
ID:	204254Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1515.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	169.1 KB 
ID:	204255Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1518.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	154.8 KB 
ID:	204256

Just finished my Skytrex Action 200 Fairey Swordfish (GA392). Nice models, I was pleased. Will be used in my next Battle for Malta scenario.

Name:	wow2_15.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	294.7 KB 
ID:	249873

Name:	wow2_16.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	229.0 KB 
ID:	249874

Blimey they are seriously nice, well done that man

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

I did not know Skytrex were still doing them Keith.
    Thought Red Eagle had bought them out.
    Rob.

Very nice Keith. I will have to get a couple eventually for Operation Cerberus which forms part of my Polish campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I did not know Skytrex were still doing them Keith.
    Thought Red Eagle had bought them out.
    Rob.
    Skytrex are still making the 1/200 WW2 range but Red Eagle have bought out the 1/144 WW1 range.

Skytrex 1/200 WW2...
    http://www.skytrex.com/12-action-200-aircraft

Red Eagle 1/144 WW1...
    http://redeagleminiatures.co.uk/ww1%20air.html

//Keith

Thanks for that info Keith.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    Very nice Keith. I will have to get a couple eventually for Operation Cerberus which forms part of my Polish campaign.
    Thanks Carl. I have been following your Polish campaign with interest. Good inspiration there.

And another good idea for me to try, now I have the Swordfish, I could challenge my group with a Channel Dash scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by keithabarker View Post
    Thanks Carl. I have been following your Polish campaign with interest. Good inspiration there.

And another good idea for me to try, now I have the Swordfish, I could challenge my group with a Channel Dash scenario.
    It is an interesting scenario, Galland planned the air cover using both day and night fighters which proved very effective. I look forward to pitting some Fw 190s against the Stringbags!

We did the Channel dash a couple of years ago. Be prepared for a very nasty scenario. We did better than the real action, but only by one aircraft Keith. it really was a suicide mission.
    Rob.

Similar Missions

1. WGSF Official Ju 52 (1/200) Painting Thread
    By Nightbomber in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 162
    Last Post: 01-13-2024, 08:44
  2. Official DFW C.V Painting Thread
    By Fat Wally in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 10-15-2022, 04:31
  3. Official A.E.G. G.IV Painting thread.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 06-21-2022, 15:32
  4. Official D.H.5 Painting thread
    By Whiskysierra in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-01-2013, 11:17