Ares Games

Thread: Lafayette Escadrille Aircraft

Default Lafayette Escadrille Aircraft

Does anyone know or have access to a timeline of aircraft flown by the Lafayette Escadrille? I had read somewhere (but can't find it at the moment) that it flew N.11s at its inception, in October of 1916 switched to N.17s, then to SPADs in Spring or Summer of 1917.... But I know you guys are the history buffs here! Any information?

Hi Ryan.
    You can't do better than start with the Osprey Elite Units book "SPA 124 Lafayette Escadrille" by John Guttman.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Exclamation

G'day Ryan!
    Not being into the History of the Lafayette boys I cannot help.
    However I second Robs suggestion & you might like to visit "the Aerodrome" Historical Forum as there are many USA members who will be able to assist you.

Good Luck.

Nieuport XI 28 Apr 1916
    Nieuport XII 28 Apr 1916
    MS type N May 1916
    Nieuport XVI May/Jun 1916
    Nieuport XVII Sep/Oct 1916
    Spad VII Oct 1916
    MS type P Apr 1917
    Nieuport 24 and 24 bis 1917
    Nieuport 21 Apr/May 1917
    Nieuport 27 1917
    Spad XIII Dec 1917

Sincerly, John

Awesome thanks. One question... N17 and spad 7 around the same time? I had heard the spad wasn't there till spring of 17.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Hi Ryan.
    You can't do better than start with the Osprey Elite Units book "SPA 124 Lafayette Escadrille" by John Guttman.
    Rob.
    An excellent publication.

Quote Originally Posted by rkwright View Post
    Awesome thanks. One question... N17 and spad 7 around the same time? I had heard the spad wasn't there till spring of 17.
    I don't have the referenced title in front of me, but I'll check later today. That being said, I don't believe SPA 124 transitioned to SPADs until 1917 (April). SPADs first began to reach French units in Aug 1916, but engine overheating issues and the resultant gun jams kept them from seeing widespread use until 1917.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

It was a gradual transition for them - they were redesignated SPA 124 in early June 1917, to reflect the fact that by then they were basically a SPAD VII squadron with a few Nieuports still knocking around, but they got their first couple of SPADs right back in November 1916, and then significant numbers in April 1917. They also had a couple of Morane P two-seaters until April 1917, which were occasionally used offensively, not just as squadron hacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    It was a gradual transition for them - they were redesignated SPA 124 in early June 1917, to reflect the fact that by then they were basically a SPAD VII squadron with a few Nieuports still knocking around, but they got their first couple of SPADs right back in November 1916, and then significant numbers in April 1917. They also had a couple of Morane P two-seaters until April 1917, which were occasionally used offensively, not just as squadron hacks.
    Agreed, French had no squabbles about using mixed aircraft squadrons. It was more important to get the most modern aircraft to the squadrons then have a squadron of one type of aircraft.
    Sincerly, John

Quote Originally Posted by john snelling View Post
    Agreed, French had no squabbles about using mixed aircraft squadrons. It was more important to get the most modern aircraft to the squadrons then have a squadron of one type of aircraft.
    [nod] What's more: From what I've been able to dig up, squadrons were infamous "pack-rats" -- when a sqdn. got new airplanes, they didn't outright scrap the old ones; the old ones were pushed to one side, and given just enough upkeep to allow them to be used if/when the new products started having problems. Couple that to the dodgy paperwork practices, and it's almost impossible to figure out who was flying what when.

Similar Missions

1. Nieuport 17 of Escadrille Lafayette.
    By Sparky in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-23-2014, 06:49
  2. Looking for some info concerning the Lafayette Escadrille
    By PFactorDave in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-10-2013, 17:20
  3. Osprey Publishing - SPA124 Lafayette Escadrille
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 2