Ares Games

Thread: Bristol Fighter (S-Deck) Card AB/A gun configuration

Default Bristol Fighter (S-Deck) Card AB/A gun configuration

Am desperate to get hold of the plane card for the Bristol Fighter that has the AB / A gun configuration which annoyingly none of the forthcoming miniatures have. Does anyone have one they would be willing to part with? Happy to pay for one, just let me know. Thanks chaps

I've a spare one, winking at me from my cards box!
    Drop me your address by P.M., and I'll send it on.
    No charge, just stop making me spend all my money on book offers!
    Last edited by Flying Helmut; 03-11-2014 at 15:37. Reason: I.D. mix-up

Thanks Tim - PM sent

I just dug this card out of my collection to see what was up with this plane. If it is Card 4/18 CF (Crossfire booster pack), it is interesting for two reasons. The damage configuration and the firing arc (yes, you are reading that right, "singular". The only arc indicated on my card is a forward 45 degree arc).

There appears to be two over-wing guns pointing forward. So, I assume there is a single synchronized gun mounted on the engine nacelle? That would be the "AB" damage for the pilot. The "/A" would be for the dual mount for the observer, one would assume, but then the rear firing arc is missing. Is this a misprint?

Any one want to straighten me out? Should I be looking at doing up a custom card to "fix" this?

Custom Bristol F.2B Card - 39 Sqn - Night Bomber Done!

Mike

PS: Just did a quick search for this configuration. 39 Squadron was only outfitted with the F.2B in October 1918, when it was moved to France to take up night bombing. The card's color scheme would fit that, as the white is missing from the roundels. The ARES site suggests that this configuration flew for Home Defence, but it was most likely an F.2A, if in 39 Sqn livery. Again, this is "internet" research, so take that for what it's worth.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 05-26-2014 at 18:53. Reason: Added link to custom card

The missing second arc to the rear is a print mistake, sorry. Yes, 3 machineguns forward and two to the rear.
    The suggestion that the 5 machineguns arrangement was for Home Defence on that Plane of 39 Squadron - with armament being more important than agility loss when facing dirigibles - comes from Windsock Datafile Special - Bristol Fighter volume I, by J M Bruce, captions of photos 89 and 90, page 39.

That's exactly what I thought when i built my Home defence Bristol a couple of years ago for Nigel's exploits in Blighty whilst recovering from his wound. You can read all about the adventures of Nigel in my Blog.
    I assumed that these configurations were meant solely for Home defence. I was really pleased to see the aircraft included in the latest issue.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. WGFE: Bristol Fighter, The (A&A)
    By Baldrick62 in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-30-2012, 13:24
  2. Bristol F.2 Fighter of No 1 Squadron AFC
    By Oberst Hajj in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-21-2012, 07:49
  3. Bristol F2B Fighter (39 Squadron) Card
    By AndrewLupp in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 17