Ares Games

Thread: AAR (Chuck) Wings of Glory: Dawn of the fighters (Scenario II)

Default AAR (Chuck) Wings of Glory: Dawn of the fighters (Scenario II)

Things had been busy of late. It started on 21 September with an massive artillery barrage. Then the Battle of Loos opened yesterday; reconnaissance is critical for both sides. Our squadron has been in the thick the since the barrage started; mostly spotting for the artillery, but also chasing away or downing enemy reconnaissance flights. We were all flying daily, sometimes two sorties in a single day.

On a crisp clear morning 26 September 1915 we took off towards the front not far from Loos. Below us we saw a B.E.2c heading for home. Apparently it had just completed a reconnaissance mission. Unfortunately, it was being pursued by a pair of Eindeckers.

Smithy banked to the left and I to the right. I was praying we'd get there in time to save the two-seater.

One of the Eindeckers was closing fast on its quarry when I came in behind him. It was a race to be sure with two British airman's lives in the balance. The two-seater and the Eindecker exchanged machine gun fire.

Attachment 124849

Attachment 124850

I was still to far away, but I could see that despite getting quite close the Eindecker had stopped firing! He was either out of ammo or suffered a gun jam.

Attachment 124851

Attachment 124852

Attachment 124853

Finally he broke off, but by then I had closed and peppered his behind.

Attachment 124854

Attachment 124855

Attachment 124856

I pulled an Immelmann to continue the pursuit, but the Hun wasn't going anywhere. Smithy had arrived catching the poor blighter unawares and sent him spinning to the earth below.

Attachment 124857

Attachment 124858

Attachment 124859

There was still one Eindecker left who hadn't given up on bringing down our reconnaissance plane. It was a race between me and Smithy to see who would get to him first. As we flew past one another I gave Smithy a thumbs up on his victory.

Attachment 124860

Attachment 124861

Attachment 124862

About then he decided to give up on the Be2, but by then I had him in my sight and got him in a broadside. As I flew past I noted red splatters on the fuselage and knew I had hit him.

Attachment 124863

Attachment 124864

Attachment 124865

He tired to evade, but I pulled another Immelmann and I had him. I saw a thin line of white-gray smoke and moments later a red spray erupted from the pilot and it was over.

Attachment 124866

Attachment 124867

With the last foe plummeting to earth Smithy and I continued our mission. We didn't encounter anymore enemy aircraft and returned to base when our fuel got low. Smithy was all smiles, as he climbed down out of his Scout, with his latest victory making it his second.

"For a moment there we were tied Charles!"

"For a moment," I chuckled back. "But combined we're still behind Hawker."

"True, true, but that'll change. Mark my words old boy, that will change."

I slapped Smithy on the back, "You scored first so I'm buying."

"Agreed!"
    Last edited by WWIflyingace; 03-07-2014 at 20:40.

The part of the Bristol Scouts was played by Nieuport 17s.

The RAF B.E.2 was played by a Breguet 14.

The Fokker E.II (upgraded to E.III) was played by Fokker A.III

Fokker E.III played itself.

The Butcher's Tally:

Lt. Charles Lewis Diamond / RTB / - / 1 Victory
    Lt. Charles Henry Smith / RTB / - / 1 Victory

Eindecker Pilots
    P1 / SD ET / WIA POW / -
    P2 / SD ET / KIA / -

Following this with interest, some cracking combats over a very colourful terrain, unspoilt as yet by the trench warfare destruction.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Those boys are really handing out some punishment !

Another exciting AAR. They're going to be forced to change it to "The Bristol Scourge" if your fellows keep it up.

Well done chaps.
    Kyte is buying in the Mess tonight.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. Wings of Glory: Dawn of the fighters
    By WWIflyingace in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 10-05-2014, 11:27
  2. AAR (Chuck) Wings of Glory: Dawn of the fighters (Scenario I)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-02-2014, 03:50
  3. AAR (Chuck) Wings of Glory: Dawn of the fighters (Scenario I) 13 August 1915
    By WWIflyingace in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-07-2014, 04:39
  4. Wings of Glory: Dawn of the fighters (Scenario I - Aircraft Evaluation Mission)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-03-2014, 04:12
  5. Wings of Glory: Dawn of the fighters (Scenario 2 - Combat Patrol Mission)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-28-2014, 13:37